Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
gmans5
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Rebuild Help

I have taken over the Giants and I am trying to rebuild. After 6 years, I am still in dead last in the division and have shown no positives. My minor leagues are great, but all of the players end up as 4A players, not good MLB players. I spend tons on scouting, player development, and have great minor league coaches, but still struggle.

Am I a bad GM or are the Giants that bad?!?!
gmans5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Maybe both.

But in all seriousness, are you trying to develop guys who fit your park or a particular style? Examples include power hitting left handers or ground ball pitchers with crazy good defense at 2B and SS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I'm currently playing the Giants and have managed to turn things around completely by 2023 or so (in challenge mode). They do start in a pretty horrible situation with a lot of bad money contracts...the first few years are bound to be fairly dreadful. But they do have some advantages in a large budget and fan base. So a rebuild is not as difficult as some others.

IIRC all their terrible contracts finally come off the books around 2021 or so. So that should be your target for contention. Until then, just keep selling and trying to acquire as much young talent as possible. Don't spend money on free agents, just dump it all into scouting/player development and also keep extra cash to snag some "impossible" talent in the draft. For those guys I've found if you offer $8 million signing bonus, the majority will accept. Make sure your international FA budget is set to the max 5M and you can also nab the top int'l prospect every year by offering the full 5M on day 1. After a few years of that, with a little luck you'll be shooting up the development rankings to #1 farm system. Then when all that dead money is finally off the books and your prospects are reaching the big leagues...then you can finally splurge on some FA for whatever gaps your team still has at that point.

In my game, after 2019 my head scout retired...if that happens to you too, make sure you get the best scout available for amateurs/international and minors. I got Jason McLeod who did a really great job (combined with max scouting budget) - almost all my prospects have lived up to the hype so far. Oh and I also replaced my head trainer with a stud "prevention" guy. Injuries can really kill prospects too but I've been lucky so far with that.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

If you have a ton of those 4a guys that you could never use all of them even if they did make the majors, try singling the ones out you plan to keep a bit earlier, and try to consolidate that talent through trades. turn quantity into focused quality of near-future needs.

even if you get less overall talent in return, if it's 1 better player vs. 2-4 redundant players you can't fit on your team at that position(s) at once, it's 100% win-win. overall talent in minors is important, but it's just a step in the process. that talent has to be useable by you in a somewhat timely manner.

if you get more from mlb players than prospects, invest a little playing time in those tradeable players, if you can, it could greatly increase return value. even some of those 4-a guys. if they play extremely well with a enough PA, their rating will jump and so will the return.

winning mlb games is definitely more important, and i prefer not to impede my better players' playing time. so, other factors of preference to consider too. within what you prefer, just plan ahead a bit more and package some of that stuff up when your MiL system gets bloated with talent, but maybe not mike trout-esque talent in any one player.

when you do start winning, have some fiscal responsibility. if you are up against the cap ~3 years out, you need to do something now, lol. those estimates are almost always a bit below what it ends up being, too. the screen that shows all your contracts per player for 10 years is all you need to review. consider who you will extend and release and adjust the numbers you see. you'll know if you have to cut bait and with a lot more time to not be forced into a bad option because there's no other choice.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-14-2019 at 04:25 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
Maximum Jay
Bat Boy

Doing the same thing and my Giants lost 101 games in 2019.

Best part of that was Longoria demanding a trade to a contender after the season ended. Dude has something like $90 million left on his deal and an OPS+ of 80. Uhh…I’ll get right on that.
Maximum Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that's a horrible contract, lol. been horrible for years, too. he's had 2 years since that are worthy of that kind of money?

getting rid of that guy's contract is a must for 5-7 years now, lol.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote