Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
dennis4485
Bat Boy

Bought the game recently......not happy

I bought the game a month ago and I am not happy with it so far. I tried to play, got thru a few seasons. Everything was ok.. League crashed. Not good. Didnt back it up. My fault. Started over. Game crashed. Wouldnt let me restore (which I saved this time). Making me mad. Thats 12 seasons I have played and I have nothing to show for it. Game keeps hanging up when I try to clean up disks which it prompts me to do. Not working. So mad.
dennis4485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis4485 View Post
I bought the game a month ago and I am not happy with it so far. I tried to play, got thru a few seasons. Everything was ok.. League crashed. Not good. Didnt back it up. My fault. Started over. Game crashed. Wouldnt let me restore (which I saved this time). Making me mad. Thats 12 seasons I have played and I have nothing to show for it. Game keeps hanging up when I try to clean up disks which it prompts me to do. Not working. So mad.
Have you submitted any help tickets? Something sure seems off if your leagues keep crashing. What type of league was it? I am in year 24 over 4 versions of OOTP and year 111 in a fictional, mostly sim league over 2 versions. I used to have a really bad PC and was able to restore on that twice. I back up twice per season.
Question to anyone...Since when does OOTP prompt you to clean a disk up? never seen that.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

It could be Windows telling him to clean up his disk cause is very low on diskspace which could explain the crashing.

Hard to tell from the post but the way it was written almost sounded like he was doing disk cleanup with OOTP open??????

Last edited by MarkInCincy; 12-07-2014 at 09:39 AM.
MarkInCincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

More information needed from the OP.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
More information needed from the OP.
Yes. Now, without meaning to sound harsh, let's see how important it is to OP to come back and more fully explain his situation. A rambling, one-time, "drive-by" dump post can be just trollish behavior or an indication that the person is not really the type to be paying attention to proper computer maintenance. In this case, four replies is already four too many.

Let's see what happens next and please spare me the lectures about being harsh on noobs. Granted, I have little patience for people who cannot be bothered to articulate properly and I resent having my time wasted and my game trashed by trolls.

But if this is not a troll, then I will be glad to try to help.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 12-07-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Well that's not what I meant.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 12-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Well that's not what I meant.
Yeah, I know Rich. I probably should take a sabbatical from these forums because my patience has worn thin. You keep an eye out for him, if he comes back, and help him out if so, will you?

- Bru

Old 12-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

IMO, Dennis is not a troll. I just read all of his posts (not too many) and he seems like a regular dude to me. It looks like he is having computer issues but thinks he is having OOTP issues.

Dennis, can you provide more information, please? I'm thinking the problem is that your laptop doesn't have sufficient memory to run a full-sized OOTP league.

I've had leagues that blow away the memory usage of most other games.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

OOTP is extremely stable. Especially OOTP14.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
OOTP is extremely stable. Especially OOTP14.
Oh I thought it was v15. Not sure I can be much help for v14.

Either way we need details about the OP computer HDD free RAM operating system and league size and details. For example just allowing file bloat due to HTML files and stored Almanacs can cause issues. In defense of Deja Bru I too get annoyed at the limited information people give regarding big problems. It's like telling the doctor "my tummy hurts".

Please help us help you!

RichW

Last edited by RchW; 12-07-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I understand.

Name:  HELP-ME-HELP-YOU.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  20.9 KB

Old 12-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

I was getting some crashes as well when I first started (beginning of November).

In the start menu for OOTP, I noticed a "Start OOTP in safe mode" choice, so I did.

Since then, crashes are very rare, they happen on occasion but I do have an older PC with XP. (I use XP because some other things I like are not fully compatible with later versions of Windows).

If anyone else is having trouble with crashes, maybe they can try safe mode to see if that takes care of some of the problem. I know some features would probably be disabled, but if you can do without them, then safe mode might be the way to go.

As far as submitting a ticket, I submitted a ticket re: a crash back on November 1st, and it still has not been assigned to anyone. It was crashing every time I tried to load a quickstart game. Using safe mode got around that problem, now it only seems to crash when I run a sim of MLB history and have the program open for a long time because I run several years in a session).
bd001217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #13
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Gee, I guess I was right about OP.

- Bru

Old 12-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I hate when people post that they hate OOTP then never come back to respond.

"Stay Strong"

Old 12-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #15
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
In order to be successful in this game, one must:
  • Be willing to invest time (and money) to ensure their computer is ready for it and they know how to install it and run it properly.
  • Be organized and detail-oriented enough to be able to learn how to play the game correctly and avoid corrupting it.
Many people try this game and fail because they lack one or both characteristics. The mark of such people is often a poorly written, incoherent rant in which they blame the game for their own shortcomings.

If I had to guess, I'd say the fellow either has a crappy computer or he tinkered with the game to the point it became corrupted. Folks like him do not have the staying power or commitment to even follow up in their own threads, much less adequately explain the problems that they are experiencing.

To the extent that OP was legitimate, I sympathize with his frustration. However, this is how people who are not suitable for this game are weeded out. Too bad.

To the extent that OP was a troll, I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

And if all this sounds unwelcoming, too bad again. Folks that know me here also know that I try very hard to help the people here who deserve to be helped. The prerequisites are: 1) Communicate clearly; take the time to write proper sentences; don't act childish, and 2) Look like you've done some homework and care about the game, the community, and what you are doing.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 12-13-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #16
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
  • Be willing to invest time (and money) to ensure their computer is ready for it and they know how to install it and run it properly.
  • Be organized and detail-oriented enough to be able to learn how to play the game correctly and avoid corrupting it.
Many people try this game and fail because they lack one or both characteristics. The mark of such people is often a poorly written, incoherent rant in which they blame the game for their own shortcomings.

If I had to guess, I'd say the fellow either has a crappy computer or he tinkered with the game to the point it became corrupted. Folks like him do not have the staying power or commitment to even follow up in their own threads, much less adequately explain the problems that they are experiencing.

To the extent that OP was legitimate, I sympathize with his frustration. However, this is how people who are not suitable for this game are weeded out. Too bad.

And if all this sounds unwelcoming, too bad again. Folks that know me here also know that I try very hard to help the people here who deserve to be helped. The prerequisites are: 1) Communicate clearly; take the time to write proper sentences; don't act childish, and 2) Look like you've done some homework and care about the game, the community, and what you are doing.
I had 1st played OOTP 6.5 I believe might have been 8 and hated it. i hated it because it was unlike anything i was used to and had to look at more then just stats. i had to try to learn and just just hit the start button. When High Heat finally died out I discovered OOTP 10. This time I fell in love with OOTP and took the time to learn this game and understand it. For 10 & 11 I was on a 10 yr old system. When that flaked out i was able to get a decent older PC off of Freecycle.org and when i went to make changes to it it would not boot up. I then bought a semi decent PC that fits my current needs. A big HD for my music & movies, ability to stream Netflix and fast enough for OOTP 14+.
It takes a very basic system to play OOTP but it does take some computer knowledge to not mess up ones league. Takes a pentie4nt person to learn all the things that go into this game. Not many Madden fans would enjoy or have the patience to play OOTP. I am surprised at the few kids (no offense if you are under 21) that actually play and enjoy OOTP. Us from the Super Mario Bros. era and before have the patience for this game.

"Stay Strong"

Old 12-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #17
bcduggan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

A friend got me into OOTP 13. I was using an old XP computer to play. Due to issues I had with the lack of RAM and other issues made some of the leagues truly unbearable to play. However, I fought through it and not in most of those leagues I started with I am still going at it. Should have less of a problem now, I received my new computer on Friday.OOTP runs great on the new one.
bcduggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcduggan View Post
A friend got me into OOTP 13. I was using an old XP computer to play. Due to issues I had with the lack of RAM and other issues made some of the leagues truly unbearable to play. However, I fought through it and not in most of those leagues I started with I am still going at it. Should have less of a problem now, I received my new computer on Friday.OOTP runs great on the new one.
Now, if YOU have a question, come on back here and ask! I will be happy to answer it, if I can.

- Bru

Old 12-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #19
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Maybe he is embarrassed by his venting and doesn't want to get piled on. I know I have said things in frustration that I wished I hadn't.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #20
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post

I'm assuming that you are talking about the OP. He never said he hated OOTP. He just said he was mad.

I was really hoping he'd come back so the community could help. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue. Back in 2007 OOTP was almost unplayable for me because it kept crashing. That kept me away from the game for a couple of years until I was able to get a high-powered machine when I landed a nice paying job.

I'm glad I came back because I love the game. I'm also glad I didn't vent like this. But if I had vented like this I'd hope that the community didn't slam the door shut on me. I'd hope that they understand and look past my frustration.