Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
gigispeed1332
Minors (Single A)

To do before every game checklist? What do you manage in game?

I'm just wondering what everyone does to get the most out of their OOP experience. There is alot to do and I want to make sure I am not limiting myself to just setting lineups, setting strategies and simming.

What other things do you do before every game and during the game to make the game most worthwhile? I have typically been simming the games, letting my manager control the events with my set strategies while setting my own lineups and only doing the substitutions in games (pinch runners, pinch hitters, changing pitchers) but I feel like I am missing a large part of managing the game.

Does everyone typically manage their teams in game? And what else can I do between games to improve my chances of winning? I dont really do much between games and am wondering if there are things I should be looking for.

Thanks!
gigispeed1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Baseball is played every day. You are going to see streaks and trends. If you micromanage like Football, you'll go crazy. What you should do is establish bullpen roles watch your catchers "tired" state and get the bench players in a game once or twice a week especially early. Don't be quick to pull a slumping batter. Don't stop using a relief pitcher after bad outings and play 30 games minimum before making significant changes.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Papa3
Minors (Triple A)

I may have the perfect recommendation for you. I felt exactly the same as you until I began "watching" each of my games.

What I do is set the play by play to instant/short. Then all I do is tap the spacebar for each batter. I get through a game in about 3-5 minutes, but I find I get to learn my players A LOT better as well as the other teams around the league.

I don't control any in-game decisions. I just see each result as quickly or slowly as I feel like. I see when runners are on base and I see if my cleanup guy is struggling to drive them in. Maybe I'll move him to the #5 spot and give another guy a shot for a handful of games.

It's those types of subtle decisions that feel waaaaay more hands on when I quickly watch each game instead of just simming a couple days or a week or a month at a time.

I highly recommend giving that a shot for at least 10 or 15 games in a row and see if you feel much more connected to your team and decisions.

My reasoning when I first tried it was "The GM sits in his luxury suite every game, but doesn't focus on every bit of minutiae the way the manager does." Maybe he's entertaining a celebrity for a couple innings. Or maybe not.

However you want to imagine YOURSELF up in the luxury box each night while your players work their butts off on the field. A GM knows basically what's going on all the time, but he lets his guys do the work while he wanders off from time to time.

Give it a shot for a couple weeks and see if you become attached the way I did.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hope it helps!

EDIT: This will naturally slow your pace down and you'll come up with things to do every now and then.

Last edited by Papa3; 04-24-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Papa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
gigispeed1332
Minors (Single A)

when making changes to your lineup, how much emphasis to put on the ratings over the actual statistics? Like I have a Right Fielder who has a better star rating but through 20 games hes batting .211 and I'm thinking of making a change in the near future for someone with a lower star rating but higher potential who is doing well in the minors.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Papa3
Minors (Triple A)

I go 75% in stats, 25% in ratings. Stats win games, ratings don't. It seems like your gut is saying "go stats". Listen to it.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
gigispeed1332
Minors (Single A)

So is it a good strategy to trade for playerse who are exceeding their ratings on other teams?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Papa3
Minors (Triple A)

Very often it is. There's always variables like contract length/amount, player age, injury history, etc.

Typically if the guy is nearing his mid 30's, his stats will decline before his ratings do. Get rid of him if you can.

If you're league is still fairly new, the guy could just be in a slump. If you think he's just having a bad month you can ride it out. Maybe give him a couple days off one week and he'll probably end up doing fine.

Ratings are definitely not the final word on how a player does. They're a good guide, but if a guy consistently fails to play to his ratings, it's time to get something for him while you still can.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
gigispeed1332
Minors (Single A)

Ya, I hear ya, I have put myself in a tough spot taking over the 77 Blue Jays in their expansion year. Traded away most of my middle aged decent players for a couple prime prospects/players.

But my pitching is by far the worst in the Majors, and Im thinking of trading for some pitchers exceeding their potential and also who are young and might turn into something in the future.

Its a fun game, and its probably easy to overthink, but I assume the more I play the more I will get into the finer details of the game. But I don't want to over analyze the stats just 20 games in and I don't expect to win this year, maybe I should wait a little longer.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
Papa3
Minors (Triple A)

Just give it some time and deal with the growing pains. As an awful team you're guaranteed a couple years of top draft picks.

You'll love watching them grow into superstars. Add them to the prospects you picked up and you should be a pennant contender within 4 years.

If you want some ideas you can check out the Pittsburgh Arsenal dynasty thread in my signature. I guarantee that team was worse than the '77 Jays and we made it to the World Series by year 4.

I'm curious what prospects you've picked up.

EDIT: Whoa, just saw you're 20 games into an expansion team...yeah, you're gonna lose a ton and give up ridiculous amounts of runs. You have to expect those growing pains.

Plus, any decent player underperforming very likely is just glib through a slump. Give him half a season and see how he does.

Last edited by Papa3; 04-24-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
gigispeed1332
Minors (Single A)

Well I was able to pick up Dennis Martinez, Gary Carter and Dale Murphy , but ya I expect alot of growing pains, 4 years seems like alot but at the same time, it doesn't, we will see. I'm hoping some nice names hit the free agency. And boy you are right about giving up alot of runs, I just traded for antoher pitcher to try to help that, Dennis Martinez is my only pitcher even putting up respectable stats.

Last edited by gigispeed1332; 04-24-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
Papa3
Minors (Triple A)

Those are some great young stars to get your rebuild on the right track.

My first year of rebuild was crazy. A lot of nights the bats couldn't get going and we'd get blown out. On nights they did, our pitchers found a way to give up a couple big innings to blow whatever run support they had.

As you're seeing, you've got a chance to win every night Martinez goes out. When you have three other guys like that -- and you will in a couple seasons-- you'll see your wins start piling up.

As long as you start winning some games before those big stars are ready to earn big $$ in their late 20's, you'll have enough to either re-sign them or let them walk in favor of another guy you prefer.

The key is to get enough good young players to start winning (even a .500 record is a big change for the better) before those big contracts kick in.

And patience! If you're gonna go with the '77 Jays over the '89 Jays, you're gonna have to wait...just like they did.

If you spend a little extra time getting to know your players and stars around the league by watching each game play out, the losing will get a little easier. After all, you have yourself a team of "lovable losers".

Heck, even as a championship contender, I root against my team when we face a certain pitcher. I just love the guy!