Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
Fix the HTML. Just awful as is. The standings boxes should be uniform, not one league's standings shorter/longer than the other.
To be fair on this one, it is because my team has a ridiculously long name. I prefer it this way as opposed to my team name getting cut off like it often does. Are you saying that the top standing box should be as wide as the other? I think that would probably be okay but there would be a lot of dead space between the team name and records.

For reference for others, this is the page:

Home
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #22
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

On the game's main screen, would it be possible to add the name of the last opened league to the "Continue Game" button, right where it says "Continue where you left off last time"?

I don't know how many times I clicked that, forgetting which league I last had loaded up, and wound up loading the wrong league.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post
To be fair on this one, it is because my team has a ridiculously long name. I prefer it this way as opposed to my team name getting cut off like it often does. Are you saying that the top standing box should be as wide as the other? I think that would probably be okay but there would be a lot of dead space between the team name and records.

For reference for others, this is the page:

Home
Yes, the top standing box should be as wide as the bottom, regardless of team name length.

Really, just get rid of the boxes altogether. Just a horrid look IMO.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
On the game's main screen, would it be possible to add the name of the last opened league to the "Continue Game" button, right where it says "Continue where you left off last time"?

I don't know how many times I clicked that, forgetting which league I last had loaded up, and wound up loading the wrong league.
Yeah, this was in OOTP 11 and I was mystified by its removal in 12 and subsequent absence in 13. I would love to have it back.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
84Hammy
All Star Reserve

I am still wishing the logo generator would be updated with more logo possibilities and a larger variety of fonts.
84Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

There is a templates folder where you can add your own but otherwise, yeah, that would be pretty cool. Maybe get an Old English style font in there, for instance. A basic Helvetica-ish font would be nice as well; in fact, I'd like to see some way to make the game default to a simple font for logo creation, as the action on some of the shields makes them look a little too busy IMO.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not

Last edited by Syd Thrift; 06-18-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #27
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Hammy View Post
I am still wishing the logo generator would be updated with more logo possibilities and a larger variety of fonts.
The trouble there is that the fonts would have to be licensed for use in the game. And that can get expensive. (If, however, the logo generator looked to a certain folder to find the fonts to use with a logo, and it accepted any fonts added to that folder by the user, then it would sidestep the licensing issue. The game need only include one or two shipped fonts and the user could add however many fonts they wanted to the folder on their own.)

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 06-18-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #28
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

Ootp13 html

IMO the HTML output for OOTP13 was a big step backwards from OOTP11 HTML. v13 HTML looks dated to me, a bit like BB Mogul HTML from 8 years ago or a much older version of OOTP. It's just eye candy but for online leagues the HTML is the game, and this was my biggest disappointment of OOTP13. I honestly find it painful to look at and will look into seeing how much I can mod it via CSS, template files etc., something I never felt was necessary in previous versions.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killebrew View Post
IMO the HTML output for OOTP13 was a big step backwards from OOTP11 HTML. v13 HTML looks dated to me, a bit like BB Mogul HTML from 8 years ago or a much older version of OOTP. It's just eye candy but for online leagues the HTML is the game, and this was my biggest disappointment of OOTP13. I honestly find it painful to look at and will look into seeing how much I can mod it via CSS, template files etc., something I never felt was necessary in previous versions.
+1000

Its horrible compared to previous versions.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #30
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post

In v12, it came up on hover on that button.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #31
English_Ray
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killebrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
+1000

Its horrible compared to previous versions.
Another +1 on that - the HTML has taken a big backwards step in 13.
English_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
In v12, it came up on hover on that button.
Well, I'll be darned. Still does, I just never hovered over it the 2-3 seconds it takes to see it.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #33
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by English_Ray View Post
I'd say "let's get some JavaScript in this ish" but stupid IE out of the box makes you run some modifications to run it directly from your computer and I am going to guess that too many people have that set as their default browser. Otherwise, though... correct me if I'm wrong but I think everything's still table-based rather than HTML/CSS based, which can cause issues on funky-sized monitors (although the spreadsheet portions of the pages, which in fairness make up the vast majority of stuff, should probably remain in tables).

If nothing else, the computer-generated source HTML continues to be a massive PITA to read, and that in turn makes it harder to scrape infos directly from the pages. Compare and contrast the page Killebrew tossed up with the pages at realgm.com, for instance: even though the latter arguably has more information to spit out and does a *lot* more with the info as well, the source code is a lot easier to read.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #34
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Acting on Team Options. When a team option comes due, you are notified via a mail message, which is often buried among dozens of mail messages. Then, when you do find it, you have to move the mouse all the way to the bottom right hand corner of the screen where it says Respond (I think), then a really tiny window pops up above that to accept or decline it.

I think there has to be a better way, but I don't have any suggestions about that.
The game forces you to take players off the DL before proceeding. The importance of option responses is such that it should be at least the equal of the DL.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by English_Ray View Post
I'll throw a -1 in - I'll take 13's new look over the older versions any day.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #36
For the Glory
Minors (Single A)

I love the font...it shouldn't be changed.
For the Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #37
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
same here
Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #38
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Either you don't know what the html reports are or your monitor caps out at 1024x768.

At higher resolutions the html reports are worse than terrible. It's like going back to the infancy of the internet. I can't fathom any one looking at the html reports the game produces and thinking they aren't one of the worst websites they've ever seen. It's a shame too, because the information they provide is needed and something I relied heavily on for my online leagues. Now I have to by-pass the html reports and wait 8 to 10 hours until I can download the league file and view the results in-game at home.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #39
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

That might be overstating it a bit for my tastes. It could certainly be improved but I actually think the color scheme is easier to read compared to 12. The alignment stuff bothers me of course but I can overlook it for the easier readability. There was way too much white in the 12 HTML for my tastes. Basically I want to see the formatting from 12 and the color scheme from 13.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #40
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
Either you don't know what the html reports are or your monitor caps out at 1024x768.

At higher resolutions the html reports are worse than terrible. It's like going back to the infancy of the internet. I can't fathom any one looking at the html reports the game produces and thinking they aren't one of the worst websites they've ever seen. It's a shame too, because the information they provide is needed and something I relied heavily on for my online leagues. Now I have to by-pass the html reports and wait 8 to 10 hours until I can download the league file and view the results in-game at home.
Sorry, but you shouldn't make assumtions like that. I've played OOTP since version one. I've worked with HTML for years. I KNOW what an html report is.

My resolution is set at 1600 x 1200.

I LIKE the look of 13 over the previous versions by miles and miles. It's much sleeker, cleaner, neater, and user firendly. There are more reasons I like it too, but I won't bother creating a big list. Suffice it to say I'll take the new look any day.

Could it be cleaned up a little? Sure, some fonts could be improved, alignment needs a bit of work, but it's far and away better than previous as far as layout goes.

Your opinion may differ.

Don't assume that because you don't like something nobody else does either.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 06-19-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote