Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #81
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

I heard an idea from someone that puts more focus on the draft and eases up the cap. Any team that resigns their drafted players get a discount against the cap. I thought it was a good idea that both eases the cap and does not disrupt their beloved parity. No one gets an advantage.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #82
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

American Putin wins the power struggle and claims his dictatorship over the Jets.

The media says it's only temporary. We'll see.

Last edited by damientheomen3; 05-15-2019 at 12:14 PM.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #83
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

The Jets are like.....so Jets.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #84
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I read the ESPN piece and the quote was 'there was never a good time to do this'

I am by no means an NFL expert of even a fan. But even I know the worst time to do it was after you let the GM conduct the draft and a good portion of free agency.
Wow
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #85
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I read the ESPN piece and the quote was 'there was never a good time to do this'

I am by no means an NFL expert of even a fan. But even I know the worst time to do it was after you let the GM conduct the draft and a good portion of free agency.
Wow
While I do believe the Jets bungled the timing, I disagree with the above narrative. The Bills did the same a few years ago with Doug Whaley, and the Chiefs as well with Jon Dorsey, all to little fanfare, because there's few things the American sports media loves more than ragging on the Jets. In some cases (not the Jets' case), it's better to let a GM run through a draft before firing them because a new front office has to play significant catch-up to get prepped for the draft otherwise (Dave Gettleman said he wasn't comfortable picking a quarterback last draft for the Giants because of this, for example).

I'd be fine with the move if it didn't come following a massive spending spree. Maccagnan has done little to inspire hope for the team during his tenure, with his only real good draft picks coming high in the draft. If the reports are true, and Christopher Johnson waited this long after the draft solely because he wanted the rumors of this very occurrence to die down first, that's probably what I find the worst part of it. If you're gonna do it, do it; no point in stringing the guy along and telling him the rumors are untrue just to turn around and fire him anyways, it's slimy imo.

I believe it's definitely possible that Johnson wasn't 100% on this decision post-draft, and Gase eventually convinced him. It makes perfect sense from Gase's standpoint; I don't see the Jets going better than 8-8 this year, and missing the playoffs would have meant a GM change then, which would have most likely cost Gase his job after one season and significantly hurt his chances of landing another head coaching gig. I do find it pretty shocking the team is throwing so much support behind Gase though. While I'm a much bigger fan of him than most, at the end of the day he's only been in the organization a couple months, so for the team to already let him run a GM out of town, give him unwarranted power, and reportedly be seeking a replacement he approves of is surprising.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:52 AM   #86
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

The first round pick by the Jets was a no brainer. But while not as dumb as the Raiders or Giants, I can't understand why the Jets didn't pick up a WR with their 3rd round pick? I thought there were a few good one's left. Are the Jets just happy to cash in this season too? No moves for a WR in FA or the draft?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #87
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The first round pick by the Jets was a no brainer. But while not as dumb as the Raiders or Giants, I can't understand why the Jets didn't pick up a WR with their 3rd round pick? I thought there were a few good one's left. Are the Jets just happy to cash in this season too? No moves for a WR in FA or the draft?
I think the whole AFC East is just waiting until they get the last infinity stone for their gauntlet. So they can snap their fingers and send Belicheat & Brady into the dust.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #88
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I think the whole AFC East is just waiting until they get the last infinity stone for their gauntlet. So they can snap their fingers and send Belicheat & Brady into the dust.
Brady will be gone soon enough. But give Belichick another good QB and things will be back to normal. Brady is not a God. If he's better than Rodgers it's not by much. Coaching and game planning is the big difference.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #89
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Although the Jets have a need at the receiver position, they're more like Detroit in that they have a collection of #2 and #3 receivers so adding another person into that mix that has a low likelihood to develop into a #1 wouldn't make sense given their bigger needs elsewhere. They also signed Jamison Crowder in FA, giving them an athletic slot guy (if he can stay healthy; he's slight and had a lot of injury issues for Washington last season).

Quote:
Brady will be gone soon enough. But give Belichick another good QB and things will be back to normal. Brady is not a God. If he's better than Rodgers it's not by much. Coaching and game planning is the big difference.
This is what I've been told since 2006.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #90
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
Although the Jets have a need at the receiver position, they're more like Detroit in that they have a collection of #2 and #3 receivers so adding another person into that mix that has a low likelihood to develop into a #1 wouldn't make sense given their bigger needs elsewhere. They also signed Jamison Crowder in FA, giving them an athletic slot guy (if he can stay healthy; he's slight and had a lot of injury issues for Washington last season).
Ok. Jets have needs elsewhere. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. The Cowboys had needs and chose to go with Romo and ignore defense. It got us 8-8 seasons with an occasional spike. The Jets aren't even getting that. They'll win no more than 6 games this season.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #91
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok. Jets have needs elsewhere. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. The Cowboys had needs and chose to go with Romo and ignore defense. It got us 8-8 seasons with an occasional spike. The Jets aren't even getting that. They'll win no more than 6 games this season.
I disagree. I think the Jets will win 7 or 8 games this year. They get the NFC East and the AFC North this year, I could see them winning 5 of those games (including the Cowboys).
Old 05-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #92
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
I disagree. I think the Jets will win 7 or 8 games this year. They get the NFC East and the AFC North this year, I could see them winning 5 of those games (including the Cowboys).
Anyone can win an NFL game. The Patriots usually go 5-1 in their division. That means every year they lose at least one game to a vastly inferior team. That's what's going to have to happen in order for the Jets to beat the Cowboys. That team is pretty stacked this season.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #93
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anyone can win an NFL game. The Patriots usually go 5-1 in their division. That means every year they lose at least one game to a vastly inferior team. That's what's going to have to happen in order for the Jets to beat the Cowboys. That team is pretty stacked this season.
Heh.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #94
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

The Raiders have been chosen for the new season of Hard Knocks. Their last season in Oakland probably won't feature many wins, but at least they can provide NFL fans with a few laughs on the show.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ed-hard-knocks
Old 07-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #95
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Dolphins DL Kendrick Norton lost his arm in a car accident

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/04/ke...ident-dolphins