Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 04-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Does anyone notice a difference after adjusting park factors?

I have noticed an inverse correlation of my park factors which is disturbing.

In one park I set HR at .940 for LHB and RHB.
In my other I set HR factor at 1.040RHB 1.040 LHB.

In the park with higher HR factor I have well under 50% of the HR I had in the seasons before I set the factors. In the park with the lower HR factor I have hit well OVER 30% MORE HR. The lineups have changed minutely, but not enough for the variance. In fact, it's mostly the same player on both teams with ridiculous HR totals (JD Martinez).

In the low factor park he was hitting 20-25 HR before the change, and now he is hitting 35+ consistently since I LOWERED the factor.

And same with my other team. JD was hitting 25-30 HR annually, and now that the park factor has been INCREASED he hasn't hit more than 16 HR with a full load of PA in all instances I have mentioned, seeing how he is the DH and doesn't need rest.

Now, he is only one example, but there are 5 or 6 from each team all with similar jumps in production.

So, does my home park factor MATTER? Or do the individual players merely make up for the difference when they are on the road?

PS I am stating this after roughly four seasons of watching (2 before park factor adjustments, and 2 after, so it's not a small sample).
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Everything you keep complaining about is worthless without real surrounding data for people to analyze. They are just rambling anecdotes. What level leagues? What are the home/away splits? What is the rest of the lineup doing? Post screenshots.

Don't forget that a 4% change isn't a lot. If a played is expected to hit 20 HR in a neutral environment then the difference between your .940 park and 1.040 park is just 19 to 21 HR in a season.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Everything you keep complaining about is worthless without real surrounding data for people to analyze. They are just rambling anecdotes. What level leagues? What are the home/away splits? What is the rest of the lineup doing? Post screenshots.

Don't forget that a 4% change isn't a lot. If a played is expected to hit 20 HR in a neutral environment then the difference between your .940 park and 1.040 park is just 19 to 21 HR in a season.

First, I figured I gave a good bit of information. Secondly, I figured people wouldn't want to look at 75 screenshots to get the full picture. I'll gladly make 15 posts with 5 screenshots each if you seriously will look at them and tell me what I'm seeing, but I doubt anyone will. Thirdly, I didn't even think it was possible to take a screenshot retroactively. I didn't think I'd need to screenshot everything I saw in the game. I saw this over a 4-year period. That's a crapload of screenshots even if there was a way to take them after the fact.

Edit: To answer the league level, which from what I understand should have zero impact unless I was constantly promoted/relegated (which I wasn't), is all silver. 8 seasons of silver.
To answer the rest of the lineup, they all have the same variation. I was using one example in detail so I wouldn't overload the post with worthless screenshots, because quite frankly I have no idea what extra data people would need. I'm not a mathematician.

Last edited by Findest2001; 04-16-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
I have noticed an inverse correlation of my park factors which is disturbing.

In one park I set HR at .940 for LHB and RHB.
In my other I set HR factor at 1.040RHB 1.040 LHB.

In the park with higher HR factor I have well under 50% of the HR I had in the seasons before I set the factors. In the park with the lower HR factor I have hit well OVER 30% MORE HR. The lineups have changed minutely, but not enough for the variance. In fact, it's mostly the same player on both teams with ridiculous HR totals (JD Martinez).

In the low factor park he was hitting 20-25 HR before the change, and now he is hitting 35+ consistently since I LOWERED the factor.

And same with my other team. JD was hitting 25-30 HR annually, and now that the park factor has been INCREASED he hasn't hit more than 16 HR with a full load of PA in all instances I have mentioned, seeing how he is the DH and doesn't need rest.

Now, he is only one example, but there are 5 or 6 from each team all with similar jumps in production.

So, does my home park factor MATTER? Or do the individual players merely make up for the difference when they are on the road?

PS I am stating this after roughly four seasons of watching (2 before park factor adjustments, and 2 after, so it's not a small sample).
I have noticed that as well. To often to be mere coincidence on certain seasons. I wondered if it had anything to do with the settings of other teams in the league. They say the stats are set so it could be counteracting as other teams also set their home run marks.

Last edited by Zorro; 04-16-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Everything you keep complaining about is worthless without real surrounding data for people to analyze. They are just rambling anecdotes. .
I did not look at it as complaining at all. Just stating facts that he has seen and asking others if they observed this as well.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Park factors matter. But they have to coincide with your lineup and your pitching staff to have a possible positive return. If you do not believe they work wait until you meet some teams in Perfect Level like the Oakland A's lurking there with their very good LH centric team and factors. If you play them in a WS or playoff they will murder you in their home park if you cannot counter them some way. Teams like this are why my Yaks carry LH starters in my BP. You need to decide what you are doing and stick with it. It seems to me like you run around helter skelter trying to find quick fixes. The only quick fix in PT is deep pockets.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

I know it seems that way, and maybe for pitching it is true, but I really have kept basically the same roster for 4 seasons+, and I only upgraded when I opened a pack and got a Nolan Arenado pull. Other than that my lineup has been set for the better part of 4 seasons. But yes I am very impatient when I see 5 pitchers with a FIP higher than 5.50 and an ERA+ lower than 60 at about 35 games in...I'm guilty of that for sure.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I find that pitching doesn't have the peaks and valleys as significantly as hitting does. I've seen quite a few crazy hitting slumps right themselves both IRL and in PT. But very rarely have I ever seen a pitcher give up 15 HR in 35 innings and somehow "righten the ship" so to speak. It does occur more frequently due to injuries, but in PT injuries are a moot point, so when I see a pitcher give up that many HR over a short period, that's basically how he's going to perform the rest of the season.

Last edited by Findest2001; 04-16-2019 at 01:24 PM. Reason: wording
Old 04-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
Kushiel
All Star Starter

As you move up in League Level the pitching Martinez or any other hitter faces becomes much tougher. So average and HR's go down. My Perfect Babe Ruth has never hit more than 47HR's. He is eons better than Martinez. If you set your park for RH hitters and throw LH pitchers yourself you will wonder what the heck happened to my pitchers, The same in reverse. Help your pitchers is the way to win. Get good defense and good pitching; They go together and add up to wins. In PT 20 I was 29th in the league in HR last season and won the WS. Why? Because I led in every defensive category which made me lead in every pitching category except K's. My park leans toward pitching without completely selling out to .900 in avg and HR. Stick with some kind of plan completely.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

I do stick with a plan, and the opposite happens. That's why I set my park factors the way I did. I liked my lineup but they weren't hitting enough HR, so I increase my park factors, and my team HR go WAY down. I did the opposite on my speedy contact team (i.e. Alou, Ichiro, etc...), and my team is hitting way more HR.

In fact, that is the very reason I posted this. I don't understand how I can ever improve my team when things that are supposed to reduce HR increase them, and vice versa. I can't afford to blow up my whole team. After the season I'll reset back to 1.000 and see if it helps, but I made the changes because my team was struggling in those areas.

I just don't see results when I do make changes, and it's very inconsistent how the changes affect the results. It makes it very difficult to know what changes to make in the first place. The changes are so bad that I'm going to be relegated this season, so even if I make another change next season it won't be an accurate comparison because the league will be lower. After 8 seasons in silver I don't even know what to do in bronze anymore...
Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #10
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

when you are talking such small changes it takes a very long time to see variance even out. A whole season is short term. Look at real life citizens bank park for total runs

2011 - 0.997
2012 - 0.968
2013 - 1.107
2014 - 0.929
2015 - 1.038
2016 - 0.840
2017 - 1.073
2018 - 1.042
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote