Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:15 AM   #1
raginhood
Minors (Double A)

Do you really like the chess pawn look of 3d?

I was expecting a little more I guess. It doesn't look like real players or anything. Just some minature pawns running around in a frenzy. I was at least expecting in today's time MicroLeague baseball icons and movements. Though Front Page Sports Baseball would have been the cat's meow for me and the statistics of this game.

I guess I'll sit back and keep waiting but for some reason I don't think Marcus is going in that direction.
raginhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:24 AM   #2
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

It's the very first version of the OOTP 3D player animation, how can you not want to be part of history?

You get attached to them very quickly and I'm having fun watching them. They make me smile!

BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

At first I was a little surprised (/disappointed, I'm not sure) because I was expecting a microleague look too, but seconds into watching them I loved them for what they were. I imagine we'll see microleague guys one day and maybe even FPSB guys another. However, I think you have to be careful because while a simple representation like microleague can be cute or quaint like modern 8bit games can be, I'm not sure a 90s look would be as welcomed by as many people. One looks like a design choice that can be appreciated for what it is, while anything in-between looks like you want nice modern graphics, but you can't pull it off. I know if I had a choice I'd choose a microleague style. And I say this as someone who grew up playing a microleague-like game on the gameboy (it looks like it was simply called Baseball), but playing a lot more of a FPSBaseball-like game (Hardball) on the Amiga (the PC of its day). While I liked the more choices the Hardball series gave me, that gameboy game, even in black and white, was somehow way cuter.

Last edited by kq76; 03-25-2016 at 04:50 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

I absolutely do. It's a good place for them to be in development wise and for me, its a nostalgic throwback to Microleague Baseball.

It's a lithe buggy, nothing like seeing the catcher run into center field to make a play to second base, but those things are being reported.

I find myself being able to follow the game now more than ever before. Well done.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:30 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

I love them. They are cute and leave a lot of room for imagination. Even if we switch to "real" player animations in the future, the pawns will still remain an option
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
lionbacker
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I like it a lot actually. I hope they don't get too animated over time.
lionbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
Matty86
Major Leagues

I don't mind them. But generally I set pbp to instant and just click through until theres a scenario where I need to intervene anyways. lol
Matty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #8
craftdr
Minors (Triple A)

I also like them but be cautioned, they can get you in trouble. Don't say out loud "If you had moved your fat snowman looking ass a little faster you would have caught that" when your wife is nearby. Having to answer the question "WHAT did you just call me?!?!" takes the immersion out of the game pretty quick... At least for me anyway.
craftdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I love them. They are cute and leave a lot of room for imagination. Even if we switch to "real" player animations in the future, the pawns will still remain an option
This made me chuckle. You reminded me of Willy Wonka and his Oompa-Loompas!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #10
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

I like the pawns, and the ball flying around the diamond is great
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #11
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
That's the way to do it (for virtually everything, really)- several user selectable options. Very nice.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #12
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

I like them more than I thought I would. They can be better, but they improve the experience. Good first effort.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #13
zappa1
All Star Starter

Quote:

I think they are neat. They remind me of those old wooden, hand painted, figurines that are small on top and the bottom with the middle being chubby. lol Sorta like a weeble.

Anyway, I would love to see them added to the 2D ballpark photo view. Moving around on a ballpark photo would be cool.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #14
cheo25
All Star Reserve

The pawns are so bad that they're good and funny, and I love them. I play a lot of historical and I wish there were more historical 3D parks (translation: I wish I had more skill/knowhow to make some historical 3D parks). But I like the pawns/animation so much that I've overlooked the generic stadium to keep playing in 3D mode.
cheo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #15
zappa1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheo25 View Post
The pawns are so bad that they're good and funny, and I love them. I play a lot of historical and I wish there were more historical 3D parks (translation: I wish I had more skill/knowhow to make some historical 3D parks). But I like the pawns/animation so much that I've overlooked the generic stadium to keep playing in 3D mode.

I play a lot of historical, also. I agree with you on the 3D parks. I would especially like to see some of the pre 1900 parks. I imagine in time there will be some made.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #16
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

I think the little critters are just fine. They even at times have a quick little movement just before catching a ball...or messing it up. : )

The little guys with one's imagination...splendid!!! Why...sometimes...I even talk to them. Grab that ball...pick it up...nice catch dude... : )

Awesome game...still learning and discovering...but the real superb baseball feel is right on !!

Don't forget to try PStrickert's great 1959 World Series Quickstart Mod for V12 & V11 !! At Padresfan's site.
skunkle333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #17
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

I like em. I don't want massive amounts of animation in the game. Personally I like the way it is.

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #18
texasmame
All Star Starter

Animation idea:

Injury on a play results in the pawn falling down.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #19
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I haven't played a game during the steroid period, but I wonder if OOTP created a special pawn to simulate Barry Bond's skull growth through the years. ......... Maybe Barry's pawn could simply be flipped upside down
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #20
swoboda
All Star Starter

Big step up from the last version which I used only a few times.
The pawns are cute and watchable, my guess is I will use them about half of the time when I play out my 162 starting next week.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote