Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: Do You Play As MGR. GM or Both?
Manage 4 4.76%
GM 34 40.48%
MGR/GM 46 54.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #21
dickysty
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by andjbock View Post
I have my hand in every aspect of my Red Sox team. 14 seasons, play out every game. I usually auto-assign the minors after all draft picks are signed and after September call-ups, but that's the only AI involvement...actually I use the new defensive auto-alignment feature in game too.

What is this feature? Defensive auto- alignment.
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #22
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

I'd love to sit back and observe but A I is terrible,last time I tried,straight away my closer pitches 8 innings as starter,and yes I checked 7 day line-ups etc.
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #23
drowssap
Minors (Double A)

I've done them all. I've even done as manager, but with the real MLB transactions put on. Do that on a team with a lot of turnover...can be maddening!
drowssap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #24
oman19
All Star Starter

I GM and set the line ups and rotation but don't make any in game decisions.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #25
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickysty View Post
[/B]

What is this feature? Defensive auto- alignment.
I think he means this, but i could be wrong. I've always let the AI handle my defense.
Attached Images
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #26
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Do people feel by managing each individual game, that the human players inherently enjoys an advantage over the AI?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #27
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Do people feel by managing each individual game, that the human players inherently enjoys an advantage over the AI?
Not in my opinion. If anything i am at a disadvantage. I try to run too often, sac bunt, stretch a single into a double just to get thrown out, thrown out at the lead base. Also seems my teams hit fewer HR when i manage out games. I had a power hitter with a 10 (1-10) rating have 12 HR going into the ASG. i simmed the rest of July and he was at 30. I simmed most of August and he was at 50. I played out September and he hit 6 more. Maybe in the end he would have hit 56, but he was a modified player who i think should have hit 80.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #28
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Quote:
I think so. If you're aggressive with your bullpen or certain strategies you can take advantage. I rarely see the AI go 3 innings with a low stam RP, but if it's a tie game in the 8th inning and I have an elite RP, I'll throw him out there for 3 innings if the pitch count is low. Sometimes the AI will pull a 10 stam RP (1-100 ratings) after 2 innings regardless of pitch count, whereas if I see my CL has thrown 22 pitches, that he's not tired he can go for a third. So if it's extra innings that's a big advantage, because you never know how long it'll go, so having a guy go that extra inning when he's not tired can make a huge difference.

It's definitely helped me, whether it's aggressive bullpen use, pinch hitting/running, or double switches (even in the AL). Sometimes I wonder what the AI is thinking with game management.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #29
absurddoctor
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I think he means this, but i could be wrong. I've always let the AI handle my defense.
Straight-up AI defensive control has been there for a long time, but there is a new(ish?) option a bit further down I think, that allows you to have the AI set the positioning while still giving you the option to adjust it if you wish. It is a pretty awesome feature, as managing positioning can be pretty tedious, and the AI will do what I want a lot of the time, but it was always frustrating when it did not and my team paid the price for it.
absurddoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #30
absurddoctor
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I think that is true for me now. Once upon a time that seemed not to be true, and my teams tended to perform worse while I managed every game. There are times where its a disadvantage still, typically if I'm playing while tired or otherwise distracted and do things like let me tired reliever have an at bat because I'm pressing '1' too quickly.
absurddoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:37 AM   #31
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Where's the neither option?
Old 11-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #32
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

I usually also virtually play as owner by going into commissioner mode and changing anything I like about budget or any other owner settings. Of course, only in solo leagues against the computer.
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #33
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by absurddoctor View Post
I think that is true for me now. Once upon a time that seemed not to be true, and my teams tended to perform worse while I managed every game. There are times where its a disadvantage still, typically if I'm playing while tired or otherwise distracted and do things like let me tired reliever have an at bat because I'm pressing '1' too quickly.
I would agree on this. If you are fully engaged and do any prep work, and I guess have at least a modicum of talent, the human manager has advantages over the AI. I am currently in the playoffs and won the NLDS 3-0 and am up 1-0 in the NLCS (playing one game a day). If you are aggressive with your bullpen and use PHs in the right ways, the AI is left looking like a blubbering idiot. On the flip side, if you are cruising through the regular season, managing 2-3 games in one sitting, watching some TV and thinking on work, the AI will rise up and kick your butt all the sudden. Too many times, I have looked up and realized I just let the RP bat in the bottom of the 8th, trailing by a run, and didn’t even know it.

I have come to realize the game is more fun as a manager if you slow down, do a game a day, sometimes a couple, let the last game you managed play out in your mind a bit and analyze what worked and did not, then think through your strategy a bit before playing out the next game. Of course, to my original point, then you are likely going to have a real advantage over the AI and I’m not sure that is as fun long-term. As a solution, maybe take on a lesser team and that will even it out a little.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote