Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
dickysty
Major Leagues

The fall of Yasiel Puig.

Pretty stunning the fall of Yasiel Puig to me. From MVP candidate to the minors. I would never have thought it would happen.

I always wonder if our great game mimics such a fall.

Anyone got a fictional Yasiel that they would like to share??

I'm wondering if he'll ever make a comeback. My money is on , no way.
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

It probably happens more often in OOTP because there is no emotion and face saving attached to the AI sending highly touted players down.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:05 AM   #3
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Conversely there are a few Bautista moments that I have encountered here and there. One game (several years and versions ago) had Mat Gamel go from being waived (and I passed on him) to him being a triple crown winner later the same year at the age of 26. He transformed into Miguel Cabrera in one season.

But yeah, I see the fall from grace happen all the time. I traded for Starling Marte one year and he fell off the table both at the plate and defensively the next season. He ended up in AA - then cut. I felt fleeced.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

I don't follow the dodgers so I don't fully understand this situation

is it attitude or something? does he create disharmony in the clubhouse?

cuz statistically, while he is not having a good season, its not that horrible, and it doesn't look that much worse than several other outfielders on the team
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
It probably happens more often in OOTP because there is no emotion and face saving attached to the AI sending highly touted players down.
I've been simming out an alternate baseball history, and this has amazed me repeatedly. I nerfed some players to be Negro Leaguers that never played in the majors and many of them got sent up and down. For 3 years in a row Cool Papa Bell got sent down. A Babe Ruth-type guy emerged in the 1940's, won several MVPs and obliterated HR records, and at 32 (with no real ratings decline) he was shuffled off to Poughkeepsie for a half-season. This isn't a complaint; I'm using this league as backstory for a fiction project.

Anyway, Puig is certainly not the first flash in the pan and he won't be the last. Mostly he was just fodder for the Dodgertown media machine that was starved for stories. I'm sure Oklahoma City's famous Cuban population will welcome him with open arms
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post

cuz statistically, while he is not having a good season, its not that horrible, and it doesn't look that much worse than several other outfielders on the team
That plus innumerable baseball sins like throwing to the wrong base, running through base coach stop signs, etc etc. And typical stuff like missing busses or practices or whatever. You can google for stories like the time Zack Greinke threw his suitcase off the bus or a "prominent Dodger" (thought to be Kershaw) said he wanted Puig traded.

Mattingly tried to bench and fine him and nothing changed, Dave Roberts (probably one of the nicest baseball guys ever) supposedly tried honey instead of vinegar and that failed too.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
saturn2187
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post
I don't follow the dodgers so I don't fully understand this situation

This article from 2015 may shed some light:

Book: Disdain for Yasiel Puig by Dodgers teammates no longer a secret
saturn2187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Now would be a great time for a tea to swoop in and low ball the Dodgers on an offer for him.
I think there is still baseball talent there but he has burned his bridges with LA and if a team is willing to take a risk and trade some moderately useful pieces for him they could get him on the cheap.

And isn't he on arbitration level contact pricing for at least a few more seasons?
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Now would be a great time for a tea to swoop in and low ball the Dodgers on an offer for him.
I think there is still baseball talent there but he has burned his bridges with LA and if a team is willing to take a risk and trade some moderately useful pieces for him they could get him on the cheap.

And isn't he on arbitration level contact pricing for at least a few more seasons?
They were trying to trade him for the past week and couldn't. Maybe they were asking a lot, but I kind of doubt it considering it's common knowledge to casual fans that the Dodgers don't want him, so they have no bargaining power.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
His situation is a little different.

Per MLB Trade Rumors...

"He’s set to earn at least $14MM over the next two years, and can be controlled for one more. Puig also has the right to opt into arbitration, though at this point that may not be the financially advisable route given his rough platform season."
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #11
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
They were trying to trade him for the past week and couldn't. Maybe they were asking a lot, but I kind of doubt it considering it's common knowledge to casual fans that the Dodgers don't want him, so they have no bargaining power.

If was about any team I would offer 50 cents on the dollar
He is 25 and has leg injuries that are non structural damage. I think he can be a productive player again. Now is the time to buy for a player who two seasons ago was untouchable.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
His situation is a little different.

Per MLB Trade Rumors...

"He’s set to earn at least $14MM over the next two years, and can be controlled for one more. Puig also has the right to opt into arbitration, though at this point that may not be the financially advisable route given his rough platform season."
In modern baseball that is still not that high of a price tag for a 25 year old.
I think he is a headcase but his biggest issue has been hamstring issues. If he becomes healthy again I think he could be a productive player.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
Reed
All Star Starter

4 years ago while playing in Chattanooga he had a poor reputation and got caught doing 100mph near the police station (in town) and I think he was also charged with a DUI. He didn't show up to his court case, he was at spring training with the Dodgers, and his attorney got him off with a fine. Yes, I can see him being a cancer on a team.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #14
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

He's unpopular with his teammates and in general still acts like someone who has an alcohol or other substance abuse problem. He isn't playing anywhere close to his potential. If he goes down to AAA , hits .380, and behaves himself, the Dodgers should be able to get something for him.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Do you think Dodgers management is simply trying to guess if Puig is the disruptive player they keep receiving emails about?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
He's unpopular with his teammates and in general still acts like someone who has an alcohol or other substance abuse problem. He isn't playing anywhere close to his potential. If he goes down to AAA , hits .380, and behaves himself, the Dodgers should be able to get something for him.
He's like an American college football or college basketball player. It's not substance abuse; it's enabling by adults who should know better. Compare him to hockey players who have to carry their own equipment from the time they are 7. My boy quit hockey the day he didn't pick up his bag. He went back in the car and we went home. OTOH my daughter became nationally ranked in Synchronized Swimming over a 11year period from the time she was 8 by being ready at the front door every morning at 0600h for practice. It's not rocket science. Nobody is special until adults and media make them so to stroke their own personal shortcomings.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 08-03-2016 at 07:23 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #17
JMDurron
All Star Starter

He probably has just a little bit of emotional baggage from his escape from Cuba. It's probably just something that he's not handling very well, on top of being such a huge star so fast AND being quite rich. He may just have the Josh Hamilton/Johnny Football disease, but it's not like he's some soft kid that was spoiled rotten by a cushy childhood.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #18
NYYANKS98
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFyvie View Post
Conversely there are a few Bautista moments that I have encountered here and there. One game (several years and versions ago) had Mat Gamel go from being waived (and I passed on him) to him being a triple crown winner later the same year at the age of 26. He transformed into Miguel Cabrera in one season.

But yeah, I see the fall from grace happen all the time. I traded for Starling Marte one year and he fell off the table both at the plate and defensively the next season. He ended up in AA - then cut. I felt fleeced.
Should've pulled a Loria and claimed he was already injured.

Edit: on another note the up-down trend is something else I've noticed with HOF talents. Unlike most legendary guys who would retire I end up with guys who are top 10 all time in war spending their last 3-4 pro seasons playing a couple ML games and rotting in the minors at 40+ years old. That never happens in real life.

Last edited by NYYANKS98; 08-03-2016 at 09:45 PM.
NYYANKS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #19
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Do you think Dodgers management is simply trying to guess if Puig is the disruptive player they keep receiving emails about?
This is the best post on these boards in a long, long time. Bravo.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #20
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
He's like an American college football or college basketball player. It's not substance abuse; it's enabling by adults who should know better. Compare him to hockey players who have to carry their own equipment from the time they are 7. My boy quit hockey the day he didn't pick up his bag. He went back in the car and we went home. OTOH my daughter became nationally ranked in Synchronized Swimming over a 11year period from the time she was 8 by being ready at the front door every morning at 0600h for practice. It's not rocket science. Nobody is special until adults and media make them so to stroke their own personal shortcomings.
How does one become nationally ranked in Synchronized Swimming?

Puig is mostly a 4th OF at this point. Played a half season in the IBL which is basically a good AA or bad AAA.
Attached Images
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote