Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 01-10-2020, 12:27 AM   #21
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 9: June 10th-June 16th

June 10th, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (26-28): 5
Chicago Cougars (18-35): 0

W: Bob Miller (8-5)
L: Dick Lyons (4-6)

There was no offense to be seen today as Bob Miller tossed a 6-hit shutout with a walk and strikeout as the Cannons handled us easily. Dick Lyons didn't pitch too well, 8 innings with 10 hits, 5 runs, and 2 strikeouts. Bob McCarty was half the offense, 3-for-4 with a double. Barney Green and Joe Davis were both 1-for-3.

June 11th, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (27-28): 12
Chicago Cougars (18-36): 9

W: Dutch Leverett (2-0)
L: Babe Wilder (2-5)

Late scoring cost us the split as the Cannons scored 5 in the 8th and 4 in the 9th. We fought back for 3 in the bottom of the 9th, but it was not enough. Babe Wilder allowed 8 runs in 7.2 innings off 12 hits and 2 walks with just 1 strikeout. Ed Woodward allowed 4 unearned runs with 2 hits and 2 walks in the 9th. Bill Ashbaugh was 3-for-4 with a double, walk, 2 runs, and an RBI. Luke Nixon was 2-for-5 with a double, run scored, and two driven in. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5 with 2 runs scored. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and two driven in.

June 12th, 1929
New York Stars (26-29): 3
Chicago Cougars (19-36): 6

W: Dick Richards (3-3)
L: Cotton Taylor (4-5)
SV: Ace McSherry (4)

We started the weird four game set with the Stars with a nice 6-3 win. Cotton Taylor got the win, going 7 innings with 8 hits, 3 runs, 3 walks, and a strikeout. Ace McSherry earned a two inning save and allowed just 2 hits in the scoreless frames. Joe Davis was 3-for-4 with a steal, 2 runs, 2 RBI's, and his first big league homer. Taylor was 2-for-2 with a sac-bunt. Luke Nixon was 1-for-3 with a sac-bunt and triple. Bob McCarty was 1-for-3 with a steal and run scored.

June 13th, 1929
New York Stars (27-29): 6
Chicago Cougars (19-37): 4

W: Jack Carr (1-1)
L: Dick Kadlec (1-3)
SV: Phil English (3)

An error lead to three unearned runs in the ninth as the Stars evened the series before the off day in the middle. Kadlec wasn't perfect, but he did complete the game. He was charged with 10 hits, 6 runs (2 earned), 4 walks, and 5 strikeouts. In his first game back from injury, Dick Kadlec was 3-for-4 with a two run homer. Art Panko was 2-for-2 with 2 walks. Barney Green was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored.

June 15th, 1929
New York Stars (27-30): 3
Chicago Cougars (20-37): 5

W: Dick Lyons (5-6)
L: Del Plummer (5-5)
SV: Ace McSherry (5)

Lots of fives in the stat line as we took game three of four in a nail-biter. Lyons went 8 with 7 hits, 3 runs, 2 walks, and a strikeout. Luke Nixon went 2-for-3 with a triple, steal, walk, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Barney Green was 1-for-2 with a homer, sac-bunt, walk, run scored, and 2 RBI's. Bill Ashbaugh and Harry Simmons were both 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

June 16th, 1929
New York Stars (27-31): 6
Chicago Cougars (21-37): 7

W: Johnny Douglas (4-5)
L: Skinny Foster (3-7)
SV: Ace McSherry (6)

Can we only play teams from New York? Our only two series wins of the season came against the Kings and now the Stars. Johnny Douglas did his best to blow this game, allowing 2 runs in the 8th and 9th. He went 8.1 with 12 hits, 6 runs (4 earned), a walk, and a strikeout. McSherry retired the final two batters to earn his third save of the week, doubling his total on the season and strangely every game in this series had a pitcher with a save. Mack Deal was a homer away from the cycle, 3-for-4 with 2 runs and 2 RBI's. Douglas was 2-for-2 with a sac-bunt and RBI. Barney Green was 2-for-4 with a double and 2 runs scored. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with 2 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's.

Stars of the Week
Barney Green : 21 AB, 7 H, 1 HR, 4 RBI, .333 AVG, .915 OPS
Luke Nixon : 21 AB, 6 H, 0 HR, 6 RBI, .286 AVG, .872 OPS
Dick Fessel : 9 AB, 4 H, 1 HR, 2 RBI, .444 AVG, 1.323 OPS

Looking Ahead
We're home all week with a four game set against Toronto (31-30) and then three with the first place Sailors (38-19). Philly is 4.5 games ahead of the Saints and 17.5 games ahead of us. We sit 4.5 behind Brooklyn (25-33) for 7th.

I've officially put Barney Green on the block as I'm ready to bring up Fred Barrell. If Green can't be moved by the end of the month, Barrell will make his debut July 1st. I'm not convinced he's quite ready for the majors, but I feel like I'm wasting him down in Milwaukee and he's getting angry. He's also extremely popular, which should lead to more ticket sales.

A big league debut for Ben Curtin down in AAA is also coming in the near future as I will make room for him one way or another. We have three straight off days after the Sailors series where he'll be called up to ensure the rotation does not get messed up. He'll turn 24 on the 28th, and the 153rd rated prospect in baseball has been impressive with the Blues. He was 5-4 with a 2.68 ERA (149 ERA+), 1.35 WHIP, and 38 strikeouts in 12 starts. His promotion will likely correspond with the end of Vince DaCosta's tenure as a Cougar.

Injury Report
Starting with the easy decision, Joe Foley will return to AAA as he looks to stay healthy after re-injuring himself on rehab. In the case of John Dibblee, I found it impossible to send Luke Nixon down so I brought Dibblee back and kept Nixon. I decided that I would rotate him in at both first and left with Nixon, Fessel, Davis, and Smith as we work to get a lot of quality guys playing time.

Lincoln got C Ken Wyatt back and lost veteran SP Ike Wetzel for the week with with back spasms. Recent 2nd Round Pick Ike Quinn is hurt again, this time a strained shoulder that will keep him out 5-6 weeks. In 5 starts he was 1-2 with a 3.49 ERA (97 ERA+), 1.34 WHIP, and 37 strikeouts. San Jose CF Pete Slater returned to the DL with a strained forearm, but he should be back next week.

Transactions
CF Hi Lawson was designated for assignment to make room for John Dibblee. Lawson barely played, going 2-for-15 with a very impressive -34 OPS+. I'd be shocked if someone claimed him.

Minor League Report

LF George Alt (A Lincoln Legislators): He may have just been promoted to Lincoln, but the 22-year-old proved ready as he marched to Player of the Week Awards. He hit .467/.529/.667 (207 OPS+) with a homer, steal, and 9 RBI's in 34 trips to the plate. An undrafted free agent out of Tulsa HS, Alt was one of the filler players we had to sign when the B League was first created. Alt finally got playing time last season, hitting .312/.385/.442 (118 OPS+) with Lincoln. He hit 5 homers, stole 10 bases, and drove in 69 RBI's with a +6.5 ZR in left. He's played games at first, second, third, left, and center and is an intriguing depth piece for the organization. He's got good range and a good eye and has value in his versatility.

SP Herb Plummer (C La Crosse Lions): Recently returning to the rotation, the 21-year-old responded with a 5-hit shutout of the Burlington Bears. He walked 3 and struck out 9 to improve to 3-2 in 5 starts. The 9th Round Pick from our latest draft has a 2.66 ERA (127 ERA+), 1.14 WHIP, and 28 strikeouts in 44 innings with the Lions. Plummer throws in the 90s and may end up in the bullpen, like he was for most of his career with Brooklyn State. He actually has the same amount of starts this season as he has in his whole minor league career, but with the myriad of injuries to pitchers in our system he has stepped up and ate innings.

Amateur Report

With the Liberty College Bells facing the Opelika State Wildcats in the College World Series, I'll cover the team that won their division outright first, the Wildcats.

SS Joe Foy: As a Junior, he has a chance to win his second career World Series championship. 1929 has easily been his best season, as he hit .432/.502/.617 (189 OPS+) with 5 homers, 16 steals, and 42 RBI's. He also put up a +2.8 ZR at short, the first positive ranking of his career. He finished his regular season college career with a .349/.417/.544 (156 OPS+) that was dragged down by his Freshman season where he was good, but not great. He also hit 24 homers, stole 31 bases, and drove in 126 RBI's in 151 collegiate games. He's got plus range and plus contact ability, but my scout really isn't too fond of his skills. I do expect him to be selected in the top five rounds, but I likely won't be considering him unless my scout changes his mind.

SP Charlie Bingham: One of the Wildcats freshman stars, ace Charlie Bingham was untouchable this season, going 10-3 with a 1.71 ERA (270 ERA+), 0.94 WHIP, and 129 strikeouts in 105 innings pitched. He's a ground-ball pitcher who throws in the mid 80s and sits at only 5'9'', although the recently turned 19-year-old doesn't need speed or height. He's got a filthy knuckleball. I absolutely love knuckleballers, so Bingham is someone I will keep tabs on the next two seasons. All eyes will be on him for game one as he'll take on fellow freshman Jim Trippe.

RF Roy Zingale: Another freshman superstar as the slugging Zingale hit 20 homers and drove in 59 RBI's in 193 plate appearances. His .324/.389/.735 (185 OPS+) batting line was equally impressive and he got the cushion of Joe Foy hitting behind him. Zingale's calling card is his power and while none of his other tools really stick out, he's still young and has a ton of time for development. He is decent in right field, although that's likely the only outfield spot he can play although he has played a little in left and at first. He'll have to prove that Foy isn't the reason he hit so well, as he's likely to anchor the Wildcat offense next season.

CF Max Long: Despite stats that don't quite stick out, this is my scouts favorite player on Opelika State's roster. His .308/.388/.432 (119 OPS+) career line doesn't quite scream top prospect, but his .330/.395/.509 (133 OPS+) this season is solid. He stole 56 bases, hit 10 homers (8 this year), and drove in 80 in 621 at bats with the Wildcats. He's a good defender in center and has excellent speed that really helps with his range. He looks to be one of the better defenders in the league and should find himself selected by a FABL team this Winter.

SP Claude Bradbury: Another freshman, Claude Bradbury went 5-2 with a 2.71 ERA (170 ERA+), 1.05 WHIP, and 101 strikeouts in 76.1 innings. He finds himself behind Billy Crosby in the rotation despite the fact that Crosby has never appeared in a regular season game. Bradbury profiles as a reliever, but he has a devastating slider which is easily the best of his four pitches. He's a side winding righty who's 6'4'', 190 who I can see adding velocity as he matures. He's a project right now, but he can easily work his way up draft boards with at least two seasons of eligibility left.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #22
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 10: June 17th-June 23rd

June 17th, 1929
Toronto Wolves (32-30): 6
Chicago Cougars (21-38): 1

W: Bert Flores (8-6)
L: Babe Wilder (2-6)

The first of four with the Wolves wasn't very promising as we didn't hit or pitch well. Babe Wilder allowed 8 hits, 5 runs, and 4 walks with 3 strikeouts in 8 innings pitched. Ed Woodward allowed a solo homer in the 9th. Barney Green was 1-for-3 with a double and walk. Mack Deal was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

June 18th, 1929
Toronto Wolves (32-31): 7
Chicago Cougars (22-38): 9

W: Ed Woodward (2-1)
L: Barry Wood (2-7)
SV: Ace McSherry (7)

A big 4 run 8th gave us the lead and evened up the series. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with a walk, RBI, steal, and 2 runs scored. Bob McCarty was 2-for-3 with a run scored. Barney Green was 2-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and RBI. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-2 with a sac-fly, steal, run scored, and two driven in. Joe Davis was 1-for-3 with a triple, 2 walks, and 3 RBI's. John Dibblee was 1-for-4 with a steal, walk, and run scored. Cotton Taylor allowed 5 unearned runs in 5.1 innings with 8 hits, 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Ed Woodward went 2.2 innings with 3 hits, 2 runs, a walk, and a strikeout. McSherry tossed a perfect 9th for his 7th save.

June 19th, 1929
Toronto Wolves (32-32): 3
Chicago Cougars (23-38): 6

W: Dick Kadlec (2-3)
L: Willie Couillard (6-5)

After 7 scoreless from Kadlec, he allowed 3 in the last two innings before finishing off the Wolves in the 9th. He allowed 9 hits, walked 1, and struck out 3 in the complete game victory. He's now thrown three consecutive complete games. Mack Deal was 3-for-4 with a double, steal, run scored, and RBI. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-4 with a two run home run. Bob McCarty was 2-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored. John Dibblee was 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI's.

June 20th, 1929
Toronto Wolves (32-34): 1
Chicago Cougars (24-38): 7

W: Dick Lyons (2-3)
L: Birdie Smith (6-8)

We're starting to heat up as we took three in a row to win the four game set over the Wolves. We've won 5 of our last 6 and will then welcome the Sailors for three before a three game break. Dick Lyons was near perfect, allowing just 1 unearned run with 5 hits, 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts in what should have been a complete game shutout. Bill Ashbaugh was 3-for-4 with a double, run scored, and two driven in. Harry Simmons was 2-for-3 with a walk, run scored, sac-fly, and triple. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with an RBI, 2 steals, and 2 runs scored. Mack Deal was 2-for-4 with a run scored and driven in.

June 21st, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (40-21): 4
Chicago Cougars (25-38): 9

W: Russ Reel (5-3)
L: Johnny Douglas (5-5)

We just keep on winning! Somehow, we hit off rookie sensation Russ Reel and pushed his ERA over 2.00. Johnny Douglas looked like himself today, 8 strong innings with 1 earned, 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts. He allowed 9 hits and 3 of his runs were unearned. Harry Simmons was 4-for-5 with 3 runs, 2 RBI's, and his first big league home run. Bob McCarty was 2-for-3 with a run scored, walk, and RBI. Barney Green was 2-for-5 with a double and 2 RBI's. John Dibblee was 2-for-5 with a run scored and RBI.

June 22nd, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (41-21): 5
Chicago Cougars (25-39): 3

W: Oscar Morse (5-1)
L: Cotton Taylor (4-6)

All good things must come to an end, and the better team won this match-up. Taylor allowed 9 hits, 5 runs, and 3 walks while striking out 3 in 5.1 innings pitched. Ed Woodward and Ace McSherry combined for 2.2 innings, 1 hit, 1 walk, and 4 strikeouts. Luke Nixon and Barney Green were both 2-for-4 with a double and run scored. Mack Deal and John Dibblee were both 1-for-4 with an RBI.

June 23rdd, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (42-21): 14
Chicago Cougars (25-40): 1

W: Rollie Beal (6-4)
L: Babe Wilder (2-7)

Even though I didn't expect to win this series, I would've liked a closer finale then 14-1. Babe Wilder was terrible, allowing 2 walks, 13 hits, and 11 runs (9 earned) in just 3 innings. Vince DaCosta mopped it up for 6 innings, allowing 12 hits with 3 walks, 3 runs, and a strikeout. We only managed three hits, including a solo homer by Bill Ashbaugh in the 7th for our only run of the game. John Dibblee and Bob McCarty were both 1-for-4.

Stars of the Week
Harry Simmons : 28 AB, 11 H, 1 HR, 4 RBI, .393 AVG, .991 OPS
Bill Ashbaugh : 26 AB, 9 H, 2 HR, 8 RBI, .346 AVG, 1.015 OPS
Mack Deal : 27 AB, 9 H, 0 HR, 4 RBI, .333 AVG, .728 OPS

Looking Ahead
We're off for three games before we start a five game series with Toronto (33-34) who may be looking for a measure of revenge. Philly (42-21) has started to run away with the division and are 7.5 games ahead of Montreal (35-29) and 18 ahead of us. Brooklyn (28-36) sits 3.5 games ahead of us. Interesting enough, in the last 10 games, only us (6-4) and the Sailors (7-3) have a winning record in the CA. It's a little different in the FA as the first place Dynamos (42-22) are in the midst of an 11 game win streak and the Keystones (33-30), Chiefs (39-26), and Eagles (31-30) have also won more then they've lost in the past 10.

This seems like the halfway point in the season, and I'm actually pretty happy so far. April was awful (4-11), but we went 10-18 in May and are an even 11-11 to start June. Our pitching has been bottom three in every category except bullpen ERA where we are 5th, but we have a lot of guys pitching now (Wilder, DaCosta, even Douglas) that have just been flat out awful and aren't in the future plans. The offense is a little different, as we have the most steals in the CA (48-tied) and strike out the least (170). We don't walk, hit homers, or extra bases, but we sit 3rd in average (.296) and on base percentage (.349) as well as hits (655). We aren't scoring nearly enough (t-6th), but I care more about individual performances right now then team success as I sift through the younger guys to see who's in the future plans.

The best success this season has been Rule-5 Pick Harry Simmons, who we've thrown in at short and he's taken it on the fly. He has made his share of errors (like everyone in the league), but his zone rating is positive and he's hit really well. His .355/.403/.431 (106 OPS+) batting line is one of the best on the team and he sits 5th in the CA for batting average and 7th for OBP. He'll never hit many homers, but he's definitely a dependable hitter who has started to work his way into the future plans with his 9 steals and 27 RBI's an added bonus. Bob McCarty has already surpassed his plate appearance total last season and has a comparable .319/.387/.450 (106 OPS+) batting line. He's hit 2 homers, drove in 25 runs, and stolen 4 bases while playing an excellent center field (+5.8 ZR). And if WAR is your cup of tea, he's on pace for 5.4. He's made it real hard to promote George Jordan, who's been chomping at the bit in AAA.

On the pitching side, Dick Lyons is in the middle of the best season in his young career. He's 6-6, but with a 3.43 ERA (133 ERA+), 1.41 WHIP, and 30 strikeouts in 107.2 innings. The strikeouts are slightly down from where they were last year, but he's lowered his WHIP and ERA significantly as well. He now has a solid #2 behind him with fellow Dick, Dick Kadlec who's been great in his 5 starts since being recalled from Milwaukee. He's 2-3 with a 3.10 ERA (147 ERA+), 1.40 WHIP, and 15 strikeouts in 40.2 innings. I still need to find three more starters to place behind them, and it will be Ben Curtin's chance to take the claim.

I don't expect us to finish above 7th this season, but the progress our guys are making is excellent. Winning seasons may not be too far away for the North Siders, who recently saw crosstown rival Chiefs in the World Series last year.

Injury Report
We stayed healthy in the majors! We were a little less lucky in San Jose, as our #6 prospect George DeForest suffered shoulder inflammation and will likely miss the rest of the season. With the Cougars, he was 6-4 with a 3.81 ERA (118 ERA+), 1.53 WHIP, and 30 strikeouts in 87.1 innings pitched. Teammate and 3B Jack Peal will miss 1-2 weeks with a foot contusion while CF Pete Slater returned to the roster. We also lost another top prospect, Heinie Bretz, to a sprained elbow. He'll miss 3 weeks.

Transactions
I remade the pitching staff a bit today, with Ben Curtin and Charlie O'Hare taking the roster spots of Babe Wilder and Vince DaCosta who were both banished to AAA Milwaukee. Curtin will slot into the 4 spot in the rotation while O'Hare will return to the bullpen, for now. If Taylor has a few more rough starts, he'll end up in the bullpen or in AAA and O'Hare will be likely to take his rotation spot. Curtin, 23, will make his FABL debut after going 5-5 with a 2.83 ERA (141 ERA+), 1.34 WHIP, and 41 strikeouts in 95.1 innings pitched. A second round pick out of Omaha HS, he'll turn 24 on the 28th and will likely make his debut on the 30th. He's a groundballer who throws in the upper 80s to low 90s with a plus sinker.

Minor League Report

SP Hal Robinson (C La Crosse Lions): It's not too often you highlight a former 24th Round Pick, but Hal Robinson has taken advantage of a multitude of pitching injuries in our system and turned it into 11 quality starts with the Lions. The 20-year-old is 5-4 with a 2.64 ERA (128 ERA+), 1.11 WHIP, and 65 strikeouts in 85.1 innings. These are his first minor league starts, as he's usually been a filler arm taking up relief innings for levels needing a pitcher. He just got his second velocity bump of his career up to the 86-88 MPH range. He's not going to check in as a top prospect, but his stats have looked really nice so far this season.

SP Johnny Walker (C La Crosse Lions): It's the second shutout of the season for Johnny Walker, as this time it happened against the Dubuque Dukes, as he allowed just 2 hits and 4 walks with 8 strikeouts. He improved to 10-2 on the season with a 2.47 ERA (137 ERA+), 1.12 WHIP, and 90 strikeouts in 109.1 innings. Our 3rd Round Pick this year, Walker proved that he's ready for tougher competition, and he will join the Cougars to take the spot of the injured George DeForest.

LF Earl Johnson (AA Mobile Commodores): It's a little unfair for Johnson, as he's stuck in AA with Vince York starting for Milwaukee in AAA. Johnson took home Dixie League Player of the Week, going 13-for-29 with 6 RBI's to improve his season line to .329/.395/.523 (138 OPS+). He's hit 3 homers, stole 12 bases, and drove in 38 runs for Mobile. With no luck finding a taker for Art Panko, Johnson will be stuck in AA until I can solve my major league outfield situation as he's far too good to sit on the bench. He could, perhaps, be used as trade bait as we may try to move from out strength to shore up different positions.

Amateur Report

As I expected, the Opelika State Wildcats (who I covered Thursday) beat the Liberty College Bells in the College World Series. Even though they lost, the Bells have a lot of talented prospects that will find themselves professional ball players in the coming Decembers.

2B Jake Shadoan: He was good his first two college seasons, but the draft eligible junior really took the next step this year, hitting .473/.532/.779 (244 OPS+) with 16 homers, 16 steals, and 36 RBI's for the runner up Bells. His college career line of .389/.439/.646 (186 OPS+) with 38 homers, 34 steals, and 134 RBI's is one of the best lines you'll see in the upcoming draft. He does have a little versatility, with experience at first, second, third, short, and center, but second base his the position for him. With Ashbaugh as out second basemen for hopefully decades, Shadoan won't rank high on our draft board, but he should definitely be taken in the first round. He has one of the best pure hit tools for any college player with above average speed and power. He looks like a future superstar and I can see him making a quick jump to the majors if he gets selected by a team ready to win now.

LF John Collins: He's been more consistent the Shadoan as his .345/.427/.720 (199 OPS+) line was actually the worst of his career. The draft eligible junior launched 19 long-balls and drove in 68 runs to bring up his college totals to 56 and 166 respectively. His career .372/.463/.745 (221 OPS+) line is even better then Shadoan's, and his power potential is unmatched. Collins will never be able to play center, but he was a dependable defender in left this season. I think him and Shadoan may both be selected in the first round this year, with Collins maybe in the top 5 if a team that ends up there needs an outfielder. Like with Shadoan, however, we won't really be looking at him since we are pretty set with outfield prospects.

RF Joe Jones: Another absolute stud hitter who will be eligible for the draft this season after hitting .395/.475/.727 (215 OPS+) with 19 homers and 56 RBI's. This was easily the best season of his career, as his .323/.402/.567 (159 OPS+) line was dragged up significantly by his Junior year performance. He did hit 38 homers and drive in 131 runs, but he has no speed to speak of and he isn't the best defender in right. He's likely to be a liability wherever he is on the field, but he more then makes up for it with his power. I can see him getting a nice signing bonus by whoever takes him, but I can't see him taken in the first three rounds. I'm definitely keeping an eye on him, because unlike the first two guys I could see him falling in the draft.

SP Jim Trippe: Shifting to pitching for first year starter Jim Trippe, who went 10-2 with a 2.90 ERA (156 ERA+), 0.96 WHIP, and 68 strikeouts in 99.1 innings. Despite reaching 90 with his fastball, Trippe didn't strike out too many batters and instead relied on his defense. He didn't walk many batters, just 7 all season, as he uses his elite command to get hitters looking more then swinging and he doesn't make many mistakes with his location. He's got two years left to lead the Bells rotation as they'll lose their four best hitters to the draft this season.

1B Al Murphy: He picked the worst season to slump, as his .309/.401/.495 (137 OPS+) line was easily the worst in his three year career. He did hit 10 homers and drive in 34 RBI's, but his .329/.403/.553 (155 OPS+) career line was much better before he started this season. He'll also likely end his college career with 30 homers and 114 RBI's. He has plus arm strength and also can play a little third base, but I think first is where he ends up long term. He draws a lot of walks and is developing his raw power. He's probably going to be the last of the four Liberty hitters drafted, and I can see him falling even further due to his position.

SP Lenny Bellucci: The Freshman lefty will make a nice 1-2 punch with Trippe as the offensive minded team will switch back to a pitching dominant team. He went 7-4 with a 2.87 ERA (157 ERA+), 0.99 WHIP, but just 23 strikeouts in 87.2 innings. What was more impressive was that he walked just 1 batter all year in his last regular season start. Could you guess who that one walk was? Maybe just the best hitter in all of college baseball Vic Crawford. Bellucci will thrive when he has a solid defense behind him as the ball is always put in play when he's on the mound. He needs to work on his stuff if he wants to be considered as a top pick when he can be selected in two seasons.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #23
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Trade News!

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cougars agreed to a trade to send Catcher Barney Green to the Cleveland Foresters for Catcher Jim Stevens and an 8th Round Draft Pick. The 26-year-old Green was hitting .263/.315/.386 with 5 homers and 32 RBI's in 62 games for the Cougars. With top prospect Fred Barrell waiting in AAA, it was only a matter of time before the Cougars found something to do with Green.

In regards to their return, Jim Stevens, 23, checks in as the Foresters 29th best prospect. A former 23rd Round selection in 1926, he's hitting just .231/.320/.359 with 5 homers and 27 RBI's in 47 games with AA Portland. Stevens has plus power and a good feel for the strike zone. He's also a quality defender behind the plate.

The Cougars are also rumored to be in talks on SP Johnny Douglas and a deal may be coming in the upcoming days.

-------------------------

Stevens may have been a 23rd Round pick, but the Foresters signed him to a $1,000 signing bonus that convinced him to leave Pierpont as a Junior. For comparison, our 3rd Round pick this year Johnny Walker signed for $1,040. Obviously Stevens was better then a 23rd Round Pick or the Foresters would not have signed him. My scout is actually a big fan of him and thinks he can be an average big league starter. He's likely to end up in AA Mobile for us and he will likely be our best or second best catching prospect behind Barrell.

Speaking of Barrell, he will now make his major league debut during the next sim. He was exaclty league average in Milwaukee, going .302/.361/.406 with 2 homers and 29 RBI's. Drafted 3rd Overall in 1926, Barrell will make his big league debut at 23 and as the #19 prospect in all of baseball. He's an elite fielder with above average contact ability that likely sees him as a .300 hitter his whole career. He's got an excellent eye, but is still waiting to see the power develop. He did hit 14 homers as a 21-year-old with Lincoln, but has only hit 7 homers since. The pitching staff will be happy to throw to him as he is a much better defender then Green.

The 8th Round pick was just added to bring more value to us. I feel like picks can be very valuable in this league, especially for me since I feel pretty familiar with a lot of the eligible draftees.

Overall I was glad to find a taker for Green. I didn't want him sitting on our bench or in AAA and I really wanted Barrell to show what he can do in Chicago.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #24
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Trade News!

CHICAGO -- More trade news for the Cougars as GM Anthony Yaghmour has taken advantage of a handful of off days to make adjustments to the major league roster. They will sent SP Johnny Douglas and 2B Rabbit Forrest to the Keystones for RHP Joe King and a 2nd Round Pick in the upcoming draft.

Douglas, 29, has been on the trade block for weeks and he finally showed enough in recent games for another team to take a chance on him. In 12 starts this season, he's 5-5 with a 5.66 ERA (80 ERA+), 1.72 WHIP, and 25 strikeouts. His career numbers are far better, sitting at 15-14 with a 3.86 ERA (133 ERA+), 1.47 WHIP, and 71 strikeouts in 275 big league innings with the Cougars. His only problem is staying healthy, as he's only started 38 games in the past 4 seasons. Rumors are circulating that Douglas may be used out of the pen for the Keystone or to replace Rube Frazier in the rotation.

Forrest, 21, is the #5 prospect in the Cougars system and 53rd overall, however, he's stuck behind Bill Ashbaugh at second base. His AA numbers (.385/.416/.503, 139 OPS+) have been much better then his AAA numbers (.247/.313/.301, 61 OPS+).

King, 22, is the Keystones #29 prospect and a 10th Round pick back in 1927. With A Allentown, he's 6-6 with a 3.58 ERA (111 ERA+), 1.29 WHIP, and 39 strikeouts in 103 innings for the Cokers. The Keystones sit at 33-30, so there 2nd Round selection will be closer to the end of the round then the beginning.

-------------------------

It hurts giving up Rabbit Forrest, a prospect I am a big fan of, but there's no easy space for him playing in the majors because he can't really play shortstop and Bill Ashbaugh is entrenched at second base. He may be able to play third, but Mack Deal is a better defensive option and they both have equally no power. Forrest will likely end up an above average starter, however, he wouldn't have an easy shot to playing time for us and the Keystones have a real need at third. Their current starter ranks tied for 12th in the league and their best third base prospect is 22nd in the organization.

I am glad I was able to move Douglas before he got hurt again, and I actually think this trade will really help him. He's very angry right now and even though he was starting to somewhat turn it around, I did not want him to get hurt before I could get value out of him. He's done really well in the first 6 or 7 innings of the game before running out of steam towards the end of the game. I think his stamina has taken a hit since his forearm inflammation last season and was going to start limiting his pitch count to increase his effectiveness. His last start of the season was his best, allowing just 1 earned run in 8 innings with 9 hits, 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts against the best team in the league, the Sailors. This will also open up a rotation spot for former 1st Round Pick Charlie O'Hare or youngster Lou Gaffin who will be returning from the DL shortly.

A little on the prospect we picked up, Joe King was a 10th Round selection by the Keystones out of Lubbock State back in 1927. His first professional season he was excellent with Class B Berkeley, going 17-7 with a 2.88 ERA (171 ERA+), 1.01 WHIP, and 148 strikeouts in 184.2 innings. A level up in Allentown this season and he's been effective despite the drop in strikeouts. This usually happens as strikeouts are very common in the lower levels. King throws in 89-91 range and has seen nice boosts to his velocity in recent years. His curveball is his best pitch, but he will need to develop a third pitch to become a more dependable pitcher.

The second round pick is probably the most valuable inclusion as it gives me a chance to add another upper level prospect to replace Forrest at a more preferred position. Even if the Keystones are the last pick in the second round (33) there are still enough prospects I like better then Forrest that will be draft eligible and I can find another prospect similar to Forrest later on in the draft.

I do think this trade benefits the Keystones a lot since Douglas can regain his form, but I'm not willing to take the injury risk myself. We won't win with Douglas or without Douglas this season, and there's no guarantee Douglas will even be healthy next year. And if I decide I want to add another first round pick, I have more draft capital to work with as well.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #25
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 11: June 24th-June 30th

June 27th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (26-40): 4
Toronto Wolves (33-35): 3

W: Dick Lyons (7-6)
L: Willie Couillard (6-6)
SV: Ace McSherry (8)

Our second half starts with a win! Dick Lyons looked excellent with the extra rest, and came one out away from a shutout. He allowed 5 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), and 4 walks. It was concerning he didn't strike out a single Wolf, but I'll take the win. I also enjoyed his 2-for-4 with a run scored. John Dibblee was 3-for-5 with a triple, run scored, and RBI. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with a double and run scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-3 with a double, two walks, run scored, and RBI. Fred Barrell was 1-for-4 with an RBI in his big league debut.

June 28th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (26-41): 2
Toronto Wolves (34-35): 3

W: Birdie Smith (7-8)
L: Dick Kadlec (2-4)

It was a close one, but a 2 run 1st by the Wolves proved to be the difference. Kadlec allowed 7 hits, 3 runs, and 5 walks with 4 strikeouts in 8 innings pitched. He was also 2-for-3 with a double and RBI. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with a triple, walk, and RBI. Dick Fessel was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, and run scored.

June 29th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (26-42): 3
Toronto Wolves (35-35): 4
12 Innings

W: Bert Flores (9-7)
L: Ed Woodward (2-2)

Bert Flores went all 12, but he wasn't even the best pitcher in the game. That would have been Ben Curtin, who's big league debut was amazing. He allowed just 1 earned run (3 total) with 6 hits, 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts in 9.1 innings. It was a great start to what I hope will be a long FABL career for the 23-year-old (he turns 24 in July, not June like I might have mentioned before). Ace McSherry struck out 4 in 1.2 innings while allowing 2 hits. Dick Fessel was 3-for-5 with a run scored and driven in. Luke Nixon was 2-for-4 with a run scored and driven in. Mack Deal was 2-for-6. Fred Barrell was 1-for-4 with a double and RBI.

June 20th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (27-42): 5
Toronto Wolves (35-36): 1

W: Cotton Taylor (5-6)
L: Don Cannaday (8-5)
SV: Ace McSherry (9)

This normally would be a split, but we still have a 5th game in this series tomorrow. Cotton Taylor had his possibly best start of the season, going 7.1 innings with 5 hits, a run, walk, and 5 strikeouts. McSherry picked up his 9th save, 1.2 innings with a hit, 2 walks, and a strikeout. Joe Davis was 3-for-4 with a double, triple, steal, and 3 runs scored. Harry Simmons was 2-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-2 with a steal, double, sac-bunt, and walk. Dick Fessel was 1-for-3 with a steal and sac-fly. Mike Smith was 1-for-4, and hit a solo homer, the first of his big league career.

Awards
I've never had to include this section, but Harry Simmons is your Rookie of the Month in the Continental Association for June! It was a great month for what seems to be like a steal in the Rule-5 Draft, as Simmons hit .394 with a homer and 10 RBI's. For the season, he's hitting an impressive .353/.401/.429 (106 OPS+) with 1 homer, 10 steals, and 27 RBI's while slowly improving at shortstop. I'm probably crazy for thinking he's better then Mack Deal, but it's hard not to like the numbers Simmons is putting up. I usually start Rule-5 picks in the minors the following season, but Simmons may be our Opening Day starter at short next season too.

Looking Ahead
We start July with one more against Toronto (35-36) before four games in three days hosting the Foresters (34-35). We're off Friday and then we'll start a four game set with Baltimore (36-36). Philadelphia (45-23) seems to have the CA locked up as they are 10.5 games ahead of the Stars (36-35) and Saints (36-35). I find it crazy that we are closer to second (8.5) then anyone else is to first. As someone who had no playoff aspirations this season, I think it is very possible that we can complete next year and at least challenge for 2nd, if not 1st. The Sailors are really good, but a few smart trades in the offseason could hurdle us up to the first division.

We finished July 13-13 and this is the month I've started to bring some of my young guys up while Bill Ashbaugh has started to regain form. I have the rest of the season to mix and match guys to find out the best alignment for success. Guys like George Jordan and Vince York may see themselves in Chicago before the month ends and there aren't too many other positions I need to figure out.

I'd still like to move Art Panko before the Trade Deadline, but I can't see us being too active on the trade front. With that being said, I may even shift focus and look to add as the league seems to be filled with sellers not buyers currently. If I can find an appealing shortstop or starting pitcher I may dip into the farm a little. Or even use that to upgrade draft pick capital as I did in the Douglas swap.

Injury Report
Just one injury in the majors as LF John Dibblee is dealing with back tightness. He shouldn't miss more then the rest of the week and I'm not going to DL him. He can pinch hit, but he won't start in left or at first.

Speaking of the minors, AAA Milwaukee got SP Lou Gaffin back, but will now be without RP Michael Ivory with elbow inflammation. Lincoln got SP Ike Wetzel back while San Jose lost RP Mule Daughtry for 11-12 months with a torn flexor tendon.

Transactions
CF Hi Lawson cleared waivers and was outrighted to AAA Milwaukee and CF Don Phillips was waived and DFA'd. RHP Chick Meehan will be recalled from Milwaukee to take the roster spot of Johnny Douglas. He had a 1.57 ERA (263 ERA+) and 1.22 WHIP with 24 strikeouts in 28.2 innings pitched out of the pen. Meehan has some big league experience, a 4.04 ERA (117 ERA+) and 1.47 WHIP with 73 strikeouts in 216.1 innings of relief for us from 1924 to 1928. He'll fill in the pen, with Charlie O'Hare, the former 15th Overall Pick, claiming the final spot in the rotation.

Minor League Report

SP Mickey Williams (AA Mobile Commodores): It hasn't been a great season for the former 5th Round Pick, but things could be on the upswing for the southpaw. He now has 4 straight starts of 8 or more innings with 3 or less earned runs and capped it off with a 6-hit shutout of the Birmingham Ironmen. The 24-year-old did well with Mobile last year, going 13-7 with a 3.60 ERA (116 ERA+), 1.48 WHIP, and 52 strikeouts in 210 innings. In 105.1 this year, however, he's just 5-7 with a 4.96 ERA (87 ERA+), 1.65 WHIP, and 24 strikeouts. What's hurt him was his rapid increase in walk rate spiking from 3.5 to 4.9. Walks have always been a problem for him, but he has a solid fastball that leads his four pitch arsenal. It might be pushing it to expect Williams to be anything more then a spot starter, as the lefty has an uphill battle to regain favor.

LF Earl Johnson (AA Mobile Commodores): What a June it was for the 22-year-old as he took home Player of the Month in the Dixie League. Hitting .362 with a homer and 20 RBI's, Johnson took home the award and rose his batting line to .340/.401/.541 (146 OPS+) on the season. A 12th Round Pick in 1925, he's far too good to stay in Mobile, but there's not enough paying time for him. He's an awful defender, so I decided that I'd let him try to learn first base in AAA so his bat can stay in the lineup.

SP Ed Stevens (A Lincoln Legislators): Best way to respond to a promotion? How about a complete game shutout! That's how Ed Stevens decided to do things as he returned to Lincoln. He allowed just 8 hits with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts en route to a 6-0 win. A 3rd Rounder in 1927, Stevens was in AA last season, but we added a lot of depth in the upper levels and Stevens probably wasn't ready for AA despite his quality numbers. He definitely has the skills to start and he has average stuff and control.

CF Sam Reeves (B San Jose Cougars): A 14th Round Pick in 1925, Sam Reeves has really only seen Class B action, with just 1 game with A Lincoln. It's been a good year for Reeves as he's watched himself find playing time this year. He's made his most career starts with 62, and is hitting .325/.384/.458 (114 OPS+) with 18 steals and 37 RBI's. He's fresh off a player of the week award where he hit .517 with 6 runs and RBI's as well as his first homer of the season. My scout may be crazy when he says Reeves will "flourish as a left fielder" despite not even sniffing our top 30 prospect list (which has changed quite a lot since the season started). I have been working him out in left where he is likely best suited for and he's done fine so far. Like Williams, he has to face an uphill battle for a roster spot.

Amateur Report
With the season over, I'll cover teams in my posts instead of players performing well. I'll start with the Illinois teams, with Chicago Poly getting the headlines first. After finishing 33-17 they won their division for just the second time in their history.

SP Tom Blalock: He doesn't have the hype around him that Chick Stout and Tom Barrell may, but he was none the less impressive this season. Finishing 8-2 with a 2.01 ERA (229 ERA+), 0.84 WHIP, and 119 strikeouts it was a strong Junior campaign for the 20-year-old. He finished his college career 25-6 with a 2.20 ERA (231 ERA+), 0.95 WHIP, and 363 strikeouts in 291 innings. His 1.37 ERA last season was the best in a single season for any Panther pitcher, and he ranks #1 in school ERA (2.20), wins (25), WAR (11.9), strikeouts (363), K/9 (11.2), WHIP (0.95), K/BB (5.8), and win percentage (.806) with numerous single season showings where he ranks in the top 5. He throws in the low 90s, but will rack up a ton of strikeouts and is likely to league the league at one point and I'd be shocked if he's available after the first round.

SS Steve Clarke: His best season was his freshman year, but he never matched his .409/.478/.623 (183 OPS+) line or really came close to it. He finished his career a .339/.406/.513 (144 OPS+) hitter with 19 steals, 21 homers, and 134 RBI's in 150 games. He's got decent power and is an elite defender. He posted a +8.1 ZR this season as he got better defensively each season. My scout absolutely loves him, but I can't see him being taken in the first couple of rounds.

LF Jim Behnke: Consistency was key for Jim Behnke who put up OPS+ of 150, 140, and 154 in his three years with the Panthers. He finished his career with an impressive .316/.409/.533 (149 OPS+) line with 18 homers, 31 steals, and 86 RBI's. He's fast and is a decent defender who can line up at all three positions in the outfield. My scout really isn't a fan, but his numbers are very impressive and I think he's a solid prospect. I think Behnke will end up a Cougar, but there is a long way to go before the draft.

RF Earl Fisher: He's draft eligible, but only started (and played) in two seasons. His .345/.417/.585 (157 OPS+) line with 11 homers and 43 RBI's this season is really the only reason he is going to be selected in the draft. The power is there for sure, but I probably wouldn't have scouted him if it wasn't for his college. With that being said, Fisher does have a ton of potential and can be a nice middle round pickup for a team looking for power in the corner outfield.

SP Ernie Scott: It was a strong Sophomore season for Scott who went 8-2 with a 2.88 ERA (160 ERA+), 0.96 WHIP, and 82 strikeouts in 78 innings. Scott throws five pitches including a wicked fastball, but my starter doesn't think he's going to end up a starter. My only guess is that the rest of the pitches aren't too great, but it could be that he doesn't have much stamina. He only throws in the mid 80s, but he's still 19 and will have one more season to push his draft stock.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #26
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 11: July 1st-July 7th

July 1st, 1929
Chicago Cougars (28-42): 4
Toronto Wolves (35-37): 3

W: Charley O'Hare (1-2)
L: Frank Howk (2-3)

Charley O'Hare got the start in place of the traded Johnny Douglas, and helped lead us to take the finale and the series. In his first start of the season he allowed just 3 runs, all in the 7th inning, with 7 hits, 4 walks, and a strikeout in a 120 pitch complete game. It definitely paid off stretching him out in AAA Milwaukee. At the plate, Mack Deal was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Fred Barrell was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Dick Fessel was 1-for-3 with a steal and run scored.

July 2nd, 1929
Cleveland Foresters (34-36): 3
Chicago Cougars (29-42): 11

W: Dick Lyons (8-6)
L: Karl Clasby (2-2)

We returned home to host the Foresters, who welcomed us nicely and gifted us an 11-3 win. Dick Lyons pitched fine, 8.1, but with 11 hits and no strikeouts. He walked 2 and allowed 3 runs (2 earned). Mike Smith was 3-for-5 with a triple, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Harry Simmons was 3-for-5 with a steal, 2 runs, and an RBI. Dick Fessel was 3-for-5 with a run scored and driven in. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-5 with a homer, steal, 2 runs, and 3 RBI's. Luke Nixon was 2-for-4 with a hit by pitch, a double, and a pair of runs scored. Mack Deal was 2-for-4 with 2 RBI's.

July 3rd, 1929
Cleveland Foresters (34-37): 1
Chicago Cougars (30-42): 9

W: Dick Kadlec(3-4)
L: Max Dowless (1-4)

It was a brilliant start for Dick Kadlec, who allowed just 5 hits and 1 unearned run with 3 walks and 6 strikeouts in a complete game effort. But that wasn't the talk of the day, as rookie 1B Luke Nixon was a perfect 5-for-5 with 4 runs and 3 RBI's while just a double away from the cycle. Joe Davis was 3-for-5 with a run scored and driven in. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with a sac bunt, triple, run scored, and 3 driven in. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-3 with a sac-fly, 2 RBI's, and a walk. Dick Fessel was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored.

July 4th, 1929
Cleveland Foresters (34-37): 8
Chicago Cougars (30-42): 11

W: Ben Curtin (1-0)
L: Jim Wilson (8-6)
SV: Ace McSherry (10)

The wins just kept coming as we out-slugged the Foresters 11-8 in the first game of a double header. Ben Curtin's second start was much worse then the first, allowing 14 hits in 7.2 innings with 8 runs, a walk, and a strikeout. Bullpen Ace McSherry allowed a hit and walk in 1.1 innings to earn his 10th save of the season.

Believe it or not, he's now in the Top 10 (tied for 7th) for most saves for a Cougar pitcher in a single season. He's also 5th All-Time in Cougar history and 24 saves a way from second. Bill Mendine, who holds out record has 137.

Back to the game, Fred Barrell had the best game of his short career, 4-for-5 with a triple, 3 runs, and an RBI. Luke Nixon continued to hit, going 3-for-5 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Harry Simmons went 2-for-5 with a double, steal, run scored, and two driven in. Art Panko was 1-for-3 with a sac-fly, run scored, and two driven in. Bob McCarty was 1-for-3 with a sac-bunt, walk, and run scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-4 with a walk, steal, and two runs scored.

We also unfortunately witnessed the last game in the career of Jim Wilson, who partially tore his UCL and will never be able to pitch in the big leagues again. A former 12th Overall Pick by the Foresters in 1923, the 26-year-old started 49 of the 50 games he pitched in. He was 24-19 with a 3.77 ERA (113 ERA+), 1.26 WHIP, and 138 strikeouts across 380 innings with Cleveland. It's a tough loss for Cleveland who recently moved a pair of starters and Wilson seemed to be the leader of the rotation for years to come.

July 4th, 1929
Cleveland Foresters (35-38): 10
Chicago Cougars (31-43): 1

W: Max Wilder (8-4)
L: Cotton Taylor (5-7)

Unfortunately, we couldn't pull off the sweep as the Foresters dominated us in the second game of the double header. Cotton Taylor allowed 8 runs (7 earned) in 7.2 innings with 9 hits, 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Ed Woodward allowed 3 hits and 2 runs with 2 strikeouts in 1.1 innings. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a double. Mack Deal was 1-for-3, and his solo homer was all the scoring we mustered up. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-3 with a walk.

July 6th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (32-43): 7
Baltimore Cannons (38-39): 6

W: Charley O'Hare (2-2)
L: Rabbit Day (8-8)

We used the off day to travel to Baltimore to face off with the Cannons. The game went down to the wire with 7 runs scored in the final two innings. Charley O'Hare got the win, 7 innings with 9 hits, 3 runs, 4 walks, and a strikeout. Ace McSherry didn't do a great job shutting the door, allowing 5 hits and 3 runs with 3 walks in 2 innings. Dick Fessel was 3-for-4 with 2 doubles, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 2-for-3 with 2 runs, 2 RBI's, a walk, double, and homer. Mike Smith was 2-for-5 with a run scored. Mack Deal was 2-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and RBI.

July 7th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (32-44): 2
Baltimore Cannons (39-39): 3

W: Charley O'Hare (2-2)
L: Rabbit Day (8-8)

The one run game flipped sides, as our best week of the season ends at 5-2 not 6-1. Dick Lyons tossed 8 innings, allowing 10 hits, 3 runs, and 4 walks with 2 strikeouts. In his first game back to full strength, John Dibblee was 2-for-5 with a double, steal, and RBI. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-4 with an RBI. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

Stars of the Week
Luke Nixon : 30 AB, 12 H, 1 HR, 5 RBI, .400 AVG, 1.071 OPS
Bill Ashbaugh : 27 AB, 9 H, 2 HR, 8 RBI, .333 AVG, .962 OPS
Mack Deal : 28 AB, 10 H, 1 HR, 6 RBI, .357 AVG, .844 OPS

Looking Ahead
We look to continue our hot run with two more against the Cannons (39-39) and then four with second place Montreal (40-37) before an off day to travel back through customs and head to New York. We are just 1.5 games behind Brooklyn (33-42) and 17.5 behind Philadelphia (48-26).

July looks to be a good month for us as we had our first winning (5-2) simulation all season. Luke Nixon's hot stretch was awesome and his 5-hit game is our first on the season. He's going to lose a little playing time with Dibblee coming back, but he's been really solid since earning his promotion. I know this is likely just a fluke, but it would be cool to see another winning sim. It'll be hard on the road, but I have faith in the guys to make it competitive.

I also just noticed that Ace McSherry's 10 saves are the best in the the entire league with the next best stuck at 6. I think it's funny because that means we've won a lot of close games despite our starting pitchers not being able to finish. It's not really a good category to lead in as saves are so uncommon and usually only happens when your starter doesn't pitch well.

Injury Report
Lou Gaffin is hurt again in just his second start since returning from the DL. He has an arthritic elbow and likely won't pitch the rest of the season. He was on pace to make his big league debut, but that is now in question. I am not putting him on the 60-Day DL unless I'm desperate for the roster spot. My second round pick in the 1927 draft, Bobby Love, is also done for the season with a torn labrum. In 11 starts for San Jose, he was 6-2 with a 4.26 ERA (106 ERA+), 1.32 WHIP, and 30 strikeouts, but made his last two starts of the season in La Crosse. He's just 20, so he still has the potential to get healthy and reach his potential, but it's the second consecutive season with a major injury (ulnar nerve entrapment last year). We do get one pitcher back, however, in the almost always injured John Peterson. I've consulted the free agent pool for filler arms to help restock the system.

Transactions
I finally got a pitching coach for San Jose! Former minor league pitcher Bill Gardnier will coach the Class B affiliate. He's a native of Illinois and is really just filler for the rest of the season.

Minor League Report

C Ken Wyatt (A Lincoln Legislators): The only catcher anyone talks about in the Cougars organization is Fred Barrell. They shouldn't forget about Ken Wyatt , a former 4th Round Pick in the 1925 draft. Wyatt's had an excellent season, hitting .348/.395/.488 (128 OPS+) with 3 homers and 27 RBI's in 201 at bats. He's a solid defender behind the plate. He's a good hitter and has taken the next step with his plate discipline. He's walked (16) double the amount of times he's struck out (7) for the first time since his High School days. He'll likely spend most of the season with the Legislators, but is pegged to start in Mobile next year.

SP Pete Carey (B San Jose Cougars): For a 19-year-old, the former 17th Round pick has more then held his own in the C-O-W. In 34.1 innings split between the rotation and pen, he's 2-1 with a 3.47 ERA (131 ERA+) and 1.13 WHIP. At just 5'6'', he saw his velocity skyrocket from 84-86 to 91-93 since being drafted and he's been working on adding a change up. He's a fly ball pitcher, but his stuff should be good enough to protect him from giving up too many home runs. It's unknown how he'll handle the rotation, as he hasn't reached the 8th inning in three starts since returning to the rotation.

Amateur Report
We'll head to high school to take a look at the Chicago HS Wildcats. They haven't made the playoffs since 1921 and finished just 22-18 this year and finished 4th in a tight Midwestern Division. They don't have near the talent Chicago Poly has.

SP Don Esposito: In his first varsity season, the Mt. Prospect native went 8-1 with a 1.87 ERA (172 ERA+), 0.91 WHIP, and 45 strikeouts in 77 innings pitched. He only throws in the low 80s, but he can still get swings and misses with his slider. At 18, he has time to add bulk to his 6-foot, 155 body which could lead to an increases in velocity. He has a few more years to headline the Wildcats rotation and develop into a premier prospect.

2B Joe Fretwell: He'll be eligible for the draft this season and will leave with a .317/.387/.468 (138 OPS+) line with 10 homers, 66 steals, and 71 RBI's. Speed is his calling card, as he stole 28 bases in just 40 games as a junior and holds the school record. He also has the three highest steal totals for any Wildcat, one for each season. He's an excellent defender at second, but very poor at short. He won't be taken towards the top of the draft and will likely be an organizational player his whole career. I'd be interested in grabbing him towards the end of the draft.

CL Alan Fuller: I don't usually headline relievers, but there really isn't anyone else on this team worth mentioning. He started last season, and went 3-1 with a 2.56 ERA (169 ERA+), 1.08 WHIP, and 46 strikeouts in 52.2 innings. This year in a full time relief role, he was 1-3 with 9 saves, a 1.37 ERA (234 ERA+), 1.04 WHIP and just 8 strikeouts in 39.1 innings. He's an extreme groundballer, but with just two pitches, he's likely to end up in the pen. He has time to add a third pitch before his senior season.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #27
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

I was super busy yesterday (and actually didn't even export) but I should be able to get back on track today. I'll have two recaps tonight, one for yesterday's week and a second for today's week, but the first one will only have the game recaps. The rest will all be included in the second post.

EDIT: Unfortunately the game only lets me view box scores 7 days back, so I can't do individual write ups. We played awful, going 1-5 so it's not like anything was missed. I'll just continue with the most recent week.

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 01-17-2020 at 12:25 AM.
ayaghmour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:44 AM   #28
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 13: July 15th-July 21st

July 15th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (33-50): 1
New York Stars (43-39): 3

W: Lou Martino (2-0)
L: Ben Curtin (1-2)
SV: Phil English (9)

We were off the day before, and continued our losing ways with a 3-1 loss in the opener against the Stars. Ben Curtin allowed 9 hits, 3 runs, and 4 walks with just 1 strikeout in 7.1 innings. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with a double and RBI. Harry Simmons was 2-for-3 with a walk.

July 16th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (33-51): 6
New York Stars (44-39): 10

W: Mutt Pharr (8-9)
L: Cotton Taylor (5-8)

It was a rough start for Cotton Taylor, who allowed 7 runs in 5.1 innings with 14 hits, 3 walks, and a strikeout. Ace McSherry allowed 5 hits and 3 runs with 2 walks and a strikeout in 2.2 innings. Mack Deal was 3-for-4 with a triple, double, and 2 RBI's. John Dibblee was 2-for-3 with a walk, run scored, and RBI. Mike Smith was 2-for-4 with 2 doubles, a steal, and 2 runs scored. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with a walk, 2 runs, 2 RBI's, and his first big league home run. Luke Nixon was 1-for-4 with a double and an RBI.

July 17th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (34-51): 5
New York Stars (44-40): 4

W: Dick Lyons (9-8)
L: Dick Richards (8-4)
SV: Ed Woodward (2)

Even though he went just 6 innings, Dick Lyons pitched fine. He allowed 6 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Ed Woodward got the 3 inning save, 5 hits, 2 runs, and a walk. What helped us was our third three homer game Fred Barrell went 2-for-4 with a triple, another homer, and 2 RBI's. Luke Nixon was 1-for-4 with a two run homer. Joe Davis was 1-for-4 with a solo shot. Dick Fessel was 1-for-3 with a run scored.

July 18th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (34-52): 5
Brooklyn Kings (37-49): 12

W: Leon Thompson (10-9)
L: Charlie O'Hare (3-3)
SV: Clarence Flanders (1)

Our road trip through New York continued with a rough beating at the hands of the Brooklyn Kings. O'Hare allowed 11 hits and 9 runs (8 earned) and walked 5 in 7.1 innings. The recently recalled Chick Meehan allowed 5 hits, 3 runs, and a walk while striking out the only batters he got out. Luke Nixon was 3-for-5 with an RBI. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with a double, run scored, and walk. John Dibblee was 2-for-4 with a walk and 2 runs scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-3 with an RBI. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5 with a pair of RBI's. Mack Deal was 2-for-5 with an RBI.

July 19th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (34-53): 3
Brooklyn Kings (38-49): 5

W: Art Carlson (2-2)
L: Dick Kadlec (3-7)
SV: Clarence Flanders (2)

The rough spell continues as the Kings topped us in a close one. Dick Kadlec allowed 12 hits and 5 runs with 6 walks and 3 strikeouts in 8 innings pitched. Mack Deal was 3-for-4 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Fred Barrell was 1-for-4 with another homer, this time a solo shot. Art Panko was 1-for-3 with a double and walk. Dick Fessel was 1-for-4 with a run scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-3 with a walk.

July 20th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (34-54): 7
Brooklyn Kings (39-49): 8
10 Innings

W: Clarence Flanders (1-2)
L: Chick Meehan (0-1)

This one hurt. The Kings could sweep us tomorrow and what's worse was they had a big 7-2 lead on us. Ben Curtin had another rough start, 6 innings with 7 hits, 7 runs, and 6 walks. He hit better, 1-for-2 with a sac-bunt and run scored. Ace McSherry tossed 3 innings with 2 hits, 2 walks, and a strikeout. Chick Meehan allowed 2 hits, a walk, a strikeout, and unearned run. Mack Deal was 3-for-5 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Luke Nixon was 2-for-4 with 2 walks and a run scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-5 with a run scored and two driven in. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5 with a sac-bunt and pair of RBI's. Joe Davis was 2-for-5 with a run scored. Fred Barrell was 1-for-4 with a triple, walk, and run scored.

July 21st, 1929
Chicago Cougars (35-54): 11
Brooklyn Kings (39-50): 9

W: Dick Lyons (10-8)
L: Harry Schab (0-2)
SV: Ace McSherry (11)

We didn't get swept! All 9 runs came in the 6th, 7th, and 8th and Dick Lyons escaped with the win. He allowed 9 hits and 9 runs (7 earned) with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts in 7.1 innings. McSherry allowed 3 hits in 1.2 innings to finish the game. Mack Deal was 2-for-5 with a run scored and three driven in. Bob McCarty was 2-for-5 with a double, walk, run scored, and 3 RBI's. John Dibblee was 2-for-3 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Mike Smith was 2-for-5 with a double and 2 runs scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-5 with a run scored and RBI. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with 2 walks, run scored, and RBI. Harry Simmons was 2-for-6 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Luke Nixon was 1-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and RBI.

Looking Ahead
We're off tomorrow and will head home to start a nice little homestand. We'll have three with Montreal (49-42) and then four with New York (48-41). We get the two teams tied for second that we've played recently, however, we will get to host instead. We've now dropped to 21.5 behind the Sailors (56-32) and Brooklyn (39-50) now has a four game cushion ahead of us. I think I got a little too optimistic with one good week and we likely won't have another for a while.

Injury Report
Bobby Davis returned to AAA Milwaukee and Slim Welsh was back to AA. Harry Humphrey will head to the DL with a strained back. Jack Peal returned to San Jose. They then lost Harry Parker for 2 weeks with forearm inflammation.

Transactions
I let Joe Foley stay on rehab too long because I couldn't export, but he'll replace Ben Curtin on the active roster. Curtin had a really good first start, but he's been awful since.

Minor League Report

RF Johnny Johnson (AAA Milwaukee Blues): He's hitting everything that's pitched to him, as the lesser of the three Milwaukee outfielders took home a Century League Player of the Week. He hit 12-for-25 with 3 RBI's to improve his batting line to .340/.380/.460 (117 OPS+) with 5 homers and 41 RBI's. A former 4th Rounder, Johnson is stuck behind a long list of outfielders stuck competing for three spots. He probably has the least upside too, so it's an uphill battle for the 26-year-old to establish himself.

SP Lynn Albright (C La Crosse Lions): For a guy who I took accidentally, Lynn Albright couldn't be performing any better. He's a perfect 6-0 with a 2.09 ERA (163 ERA+), 0.98 WHIP, and 54 strikeouts in 56 innings spread across 6 starts. For someone with just 7 college starts, the lefty just completed a 4-hit shutout of the Rock Island Steamboats with just 2 walks and 7 strikeouts. I got really lucky, as his velocity jumped from 86-88 to 90-92 and he added a forkball to his repertoire. The lefty could be a hidden gem that I stumbled upon on accident.

1B Claude Matthews (C La Crosse Lions): A teammate of Albright's, Matthews took home the Player of the Week hitting .438 with 10 RBI's. A 13th Round pick two drafts ago, he's hitting .283/.373/.349 (111 OPS+) with a homer and 38 RBI's in 272 at bats. He's just 19 and has a lot of time to go, but as a first basemen, he's limited defensively to just one position. His lack of versatility may get him stuck like Luke Nixon, but Nixon ended up making it up himself.

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 01-18-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:46 PM   #29
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 14: July 22nd-July 28th

July 23rd, 1929
Montreal Saints (49-43): 7
Chicago Cougars (36-54): 10

W: Cotton Taylor (6-8)
L: Charlie Stedman (12-7)
SV: Ace McSherry (12)

Both teams had 5 run innings, but we managed to hold off a late Saints rally to take the opener. Cotton Taylor wasn't perfect, but 4 of his 7 runs were unearned. He went 8 innings with 8 hits, 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with a double, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. John Dibblee was 2-for-4 with a double and 4 RBI's. Mack Deal was 2-for-4 with a walk, 2 runs, and an RBI. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with 2 runs scored. Dick Fessel was 2-for-3 with a walk and 2 runs scored. Taylor was 1-for-2 with a sac-bunt, run scored, and two driven in.

July 24th, 1929
Montreal Saints (49-44): 2
Chicago Cougars (37-54): 4

W: Charley O'Hare (4-3)
L: John Barrie (4-3)

This was a really shaky game pitched by Charley O'Hare, however, he allowed 2 unearned runs with 10 hits, 2 walks, and a strikeout. Luke Nixon was 2-for-3 with a double, walk, run scored, and RBI. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Mack Deal was 1-for-4 with a double and 2 RBI's.

July 25th, 1929
Montreal Saints (50-44): 14
Chicago Cougars (37-55): 13

W: Leo Hall (8-6)
L: Ace McSherry (0-4)

It was a huge slugfest that was tied at 13 in the 9th before the Saints took the lead in the 9th. Ace McSherry allowed a hit and run with a strikeout while getting the loss. Dick Kadlec had a rough start, allowing 11 hits and 8 runs with 4 walks and a strikeout in just 4 innings. Ed Woodward allowed 7 hits and 5 runs with a strikeout in 2 innings. John Dibblee was 4-for-5 with 2 doubles, 2 runs, and 5 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 3-for-5 with a double and 3 runs scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-5 with a homer and 3 RBI's. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with a walk, double, 3 walks, and an RBI. Mike Smith was 1-for-3 with a walk, homer, and three driven in. Mack Deal and Luke Nixon were both 1-for-4 with a steal and run scored.

July 26th, 1929
New York Stars (51-42): 13
Chicago Cougars (37-56): 4

W: Mutt Pharr (10-9)
L: Joe Foley (0-2)

The Stars were in town and they had the way with our pitching. It was a rough start for Joe Foley in his first game back. He allowed 11 hits, 9 runs (8 earned), and 2 walks. Ed Woodward allowed 9 hits and 4 runs with 2 strikeouts in 4.2 innings. Fred Barrell was 3-for-4 with 2 RBI's and just a homer away from the cycle. John Dibblee was 2-for-2 with a walk. Bob McCarty was 1-for-3 with a double, 2 runs, and 2 walks. Dick Fessel was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

July 27th, 1929
New York Stars (51-43): 2
Chicago Cougars (38-56): 4

W: Dick Lyons (11-8)
L: Dick Richards (9-5)

Dick Lyons pitched an excellent game to even the four game series back up. He went the distance, allowing 7 hits, a run, unearned run, walk, and strikeout. John Dibblee was 3-for-4 with an RBI. Fred Barrell was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Harry Simmons was 1-for-3 with a walk and 2 RBI's. Luke Nixon and Bob McCarty were 1-for-4 with a run.

July 27th, 1929
New York Stars (51-44): 4
Chicago Cougars (39-56): 7

W: Charley O'Hare (5-3)
L: Del Plummer (8-10)
SV: Chick Meehan (1)

The game was pitched by two recent callups, with Charlie O'Hare tossing 6 innings with 7 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks, and a strikeout. Chick Meehan tossed 3 in a save, allowing a hit and walk with 2 strikeouts. Mike Smith was 2-for-4 with a two run homer. Bob McCarty was 2-for-3 with a double, walk, run scored, and RBI. John Dibblee was 2-for-4 with a double and 2 RBI's. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with a solo homer. Mack Deal was 1-for-4 with 2 runs scored.

Stars of the Week
John Dibblee : 23 AB, 14 H, 0 HR, 12 RBI, .609 AVG, 1.408 OPS
Bob McCarty : 23 AB, 11 H, 0 HR, 1 RBI, .478 AVG, 1.147 OPS
Charley O'Hare : 2 Wins, 15.0 IP, 6 BB, 2 K, 2.40 ERA

Looking Ahead
We have a chance to finish the Stars (51-44) series with a win before a four game series with Baltimore (52-46). The home streak continues with four against the Kings (42-54) and then a pair of off days. The deadline is in two games, but I can't see any trades being made. I'd love to move Panko, but my guess is he won't have interest. We sit 21 out of the Sailors (60-35) with the Stars and Saints (52-46) 9 and 9.5 games out.

I can't wait until September when I can bring all the young guys up. Then I will have more flexibility with my entire roster.

Injury Report
SP's Heinie Bretz and Ike Quin will head back to Lincoln and La Crosse. Sacramento CF Pete Slater will miss the rest of the season with shoulder inflammation. It seems like injuries are too common for the youngster. They will also be without 2B Bill Rose for 4-5 weeks with a pinched nerve in his neck. SP Pete Carey will miss a week with wrist soreness.

Transactions
I made a small change to the rotation, sending Cotton Taylor to Milwaukee while recalling Andy Chastain. Taylor was 6-8 with a 4.98 ERA (93 ERA+), 1.79 WHIP, and 48 strikeouts in 121 innings pitched through 18 starts. Chastain on the other hand spent time between the rotation and bullpen in AAA going 4-5 with a 3.63 ERA (116 ERA+), 1.35 WHIP, and 55 strikeouts in 104 innings pitched.

Awards
John Dibblee took home the Player of the Week award! He went 14-for-23 (.609!) with 12 RBI's. At 41, he's still raking, hitting .354/.393/.463 (109 OPS+) with a homer and 48 RBI's.

Minor League Report

RF Ed Rhoden (AA Mobile Commodores): A right fielder by trade, Rhoden has getting some playing time in center as well. The former 13th Round pick has been great with the bat as well, hitting .340/.375/.480 (121 OPS+) with a homer and 17 RBI's in 150 at bats with the Commodores. He's got above average contact potential and could be a solid defender in right if center isn't for him. As he builds versatility, Rhoden is likely to see himself in the majors soon.

C Ben Richardson (C La Crosse Lions): It was a great week for the young backstop who hit .500 with 5 RBI's and 10 runs to take home the award for the Upper Mississippi Valley Association. It's been a solid season for the 15th round pick, hitting .308/.361/.421 (129 OPS+) with 2 homers and 21 RBI's. He's currently up to our 22nd ranked prospect and the youngster's stock keeps rising. My scout is a big fan of him, considering him "a front runner audition as a catcher" who can hit .330 and play solid defense. He's gotten better each year, as only his Junior season was the only season he put up above average offensive production (134 OPS+) in high school. With Barrell locking down the catcher position for years to come, Richardson is a nice new addition to the farm system.

SS Joe Taylor (C La Crosse Lions): Selected in the 8th Round out of Detroit City College, he was red hot in July after a rough June. He hit .310/.423/.517 with 2 homers and 22 RBI's to raise his season line to .230/.327/.371 (104 OPS+) on the season. He's also been elite defensively at short, earning a +6.2 ZR in 48 games. He's a slow base runner, but it doesn't hurt him in the field. He's got a lot of developing to go, but it's been a nice rebound for him.

Amateur Report

The first school I'll touch on is the Whitney College Engineers. They finished 25-25 and 8 games behind Chicago Poly in the Midwest division. Unfortunately for them, they have never made the postseason. We have a farmhand, Harry Humphrey, who went to Whitney College.

RF Bobby Many: He'll be eligible for this years' draft, and a strong junior season in his second full year of starting has rocketed him up draft boards. The 20-year-old hit .410/.530/.781 (220 OPS+) with 17 homers and 76 RBI's. The lefty swinger tied 1B Will Bryant of Central Ohio for the second most RBI's in a single season. Bryant had his 76 this season, and the All-Time record of 85 was set this season by Vic Crawford. Of course, he'll leave Whitney College as the single season RBI leader as well as the career leader with 136. His 17 homers hit were also the most by an Engineer player as were his 46 walks, 55 runs, 1.311 OPS, .530 OBP, and .781. He finished his career with a .351/.455/.623 (176 OPS+) line with 28 homers and 136 RBI's. Many seems set to be a prolific FABL power hitter.

2B Al Haynes: It was a strong freshman season for the 19-year-old Haynes who will have to step in as "the man" next year. Hitting above Many, the switch hitter had a productive .424/.462/.544 (144 OPS+) line with 16 steals, 2 homers, and 32 RBI's. His calling card is his solid contact potential and despite a -8.7 ZR, my scout is convinced he is an excellent defender. Haynes didn't draw many walks (14) although a lot of this could be due to Many batting behind him. He was pitched to contact routinely, however, Haynes will likely never have the same offensive impact as Many.

SP Gary Swanson: Another freshman, Gary Swanson was an impressive 10-2 with a 2.52 ERA (192 ERA+), 0.96 WHIP, and 103 strikeouts in 82 innings pitched. The righty can throw five pitches and the hard stuff sits in the 86-88 MPH range. He's 6'4'' and is likely to add velocity, and his height really helps him generate ground balls. He has excellent control of his pitches and he could lead the staff next year.

The next team to look at is the defending champion Richmond HS Rebels. They took down the Mobile HS Commodores after finishing the regular season 28-12 with just a 1 game lead over Greensboro HS. It was their sixth postseason trip, but their first championship.

LF Joe Owens: He'll have the opportunity to get drafted after hitting .396/.465/.560 (208 OPS+) as a senior with 19 steals and 31 RBI's. He finished his high school career .360/.446/.537 (174 OPS+) with 11 homers, 37 steals, and 92 RBI's. The lefty swinger makes a lot of contact and has dazzling speed. That speed doesn't quite translate to defensive ability, but he's definitely playable in left. With all high school players, they are difficult to gauge how high they will be taken. There's always risk involved and he's currently "extremely hard" to sign. Whoever seeks out "Seeker", however, will have an excellent addition to their system if they can persuade him to sign on.

SP Dick Smith: It's crazy that for the lefty, going 3-1 with a 1.74 ERA (184 ERA+) and 60 strikeouts in 57 innings could be considered a "down" year. His WHIP did improve to 0.89, but he was 4-2 with a 1.70 ERA (254 era+), 1.17 WHIP, and 62 strikeouts in 58.1 innings. He's draft eligible next season and has a chance to be taken in the first couple rounds of next year's draft. The only downside is he throws around 83-85 with his cutter, although at 6'2'' 170 he has time to add muscle and speed. Interesting enough, of his four pitches, his forkball is the best.

RF John Sexton: A versatile sophomore, the 15-year-old John Sexton hit .333/.394/.852 (157 OPS+) with 8 steals and 21 RBI's in his first year playing for the Rebels. Sexton has experience in all three outfield spots as well as the corners in the infield and while right field is his home (where he plays pretty well), he offers a lot of flexibility for the Rebels next year who will be losing their 1B, CF, and LF. Scouts aren't a big fan of him yet, but with another solid season he can set himself up nicely for the 1931 draft.

SP George Pratt: An interesting case, George Pratt didn't pitch a single inning until his senior year. He was considered the team ace and went 4-3 with a 2.83 ERA (113 ERA+), 1.01 WHIP, and 40 strikeouts in 60.1 innings while also hitting .368/.455/.447 (172 OPS+) with 9 RBI's in 44 plate appearances. I think he's likely to head to college, although he has made it clear that if drafted he will sign. I think a lot of teams may pass on the righty and he can then establish himself as a collegiate pitcher.

CF Dick Walls: After cracking .400 as a Sophmore, he never quite matched that year's production. In his three years as a starter, he hit .350/.432/.503 (159 OPS+) with 22 steals, 10 homers, and 99 RBI's. He did, however, take a huge step forward defensively with a +5.7 ZR in center that is better then his career mark of +4.9. He's a steady defender and has a promising eye at the plate. He'll add a few steals too, but Walls seems like a AAAA player more then a big league starter.

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 01-18-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #30
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 15: July 29th-August 4th

July 29th, 1929
New York Stars (52-44): 14
Chicago Cougars (39-57): 3

W: Skinny Foster (6-8)
L: Andy Chastain (0-1)

This was an awful game and an awful season debut for Andy Chastain. He allowed 8 runs in 5.1 innings with 10 hits, 6 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Ed Woodward was even worse, allowing 6 runs off 8 hits and a walk in just 1.1 innings. Bill Ashbaugh was 3-for-4. John Dibblee was 2-for-3 with a run scored and sacrifice fly. Art Panko was 1-for-4 with a triple, run scored, and run driven in. Harry Simmons was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored.

July 30th, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (54-46): 11
Chicago Cougars (39-58): 1

W: Dutch Leverett (9-4)
L: Dick Kadlec (3-8)

The Cannons welcomed themselves to town with an 11-1 blowout victory. Dick Kadlec watcher his ERA balloon over 5 with 10 runs (9 earned), 12 hits, 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts in 4.1 innings. Ed Woodward finished the game, 4.2 innings with just 2 hits, a run, walk, and 2 strikeouts. It was much better then he did yesterday. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with a double. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. John Dibblee was 2-for-4.

July 31st, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (55-47): 4
Chicago Cougars (39-59): 2

W: Rabbit Day (12-8)
L: Dick Lyons (11-9)
SV: Lee Drouillard (4)

We finished July with the loss as the Cannons edged us 4-2. Dick Lyons pitched well, 8 innings with 9 hits, 4 runs (2 earned), a walk, and 5 strikeouts. He also went 1-for-2 at the plate. Mack Deal was 2-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Slick Hostetter was 1-for-4 with a two run homer.

August 1st, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (56-47): 13
Chicago Cougars (39-60): 2

W: Ken Carpenter (16-8)
L: Joe Foley (0-3)

Our rough patch continued as the Cannons destroyed us and would look to finish off the sweep tomorrow. Foley was pitiful, 8 hits, 8 runs, and a walk in 1.1 innings. The recently overused Ed Woodward threw 4.2 innings with 5 hits, 3 runs, a walk, and 2 strikeouts. Chick Meehan allowed 2 runs and 5 hits with 2 strikeouts in 3 innings. Dick Fessel was 2-for-3 with a run scored. Harry Simmons was 1-for-4 with a double and 2 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 1-for-3 with a walk.

August 2nd, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (56-48): 7
Chicago Cougars (40-60): 12

W: Charley O'Hare (6-3)
L: Bob Miller (10-8)

We finally showed some sort of offensive capabilities and avoided the four game sweep with a 12-7 win. Bill Ashbaugh lead the charged in this one, going 3-for-4 with 2 homers, 3 runs, 6 RBI's, and a walk. Harry Simmons was 3-for-5 with a triple, 3 runs, and 2 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 2-for-3 with a double, steal, walk, 2 runs, and an RBI. Fred Barrell was 2-for-5 with a run scored. Mack Deal was 2-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Charley O'Hare went 7 with 10 hits, 6 runs, 7 walks, and a strikeout. Ace McSherry got 2 innings, allowing 2 hits, a run, and walk with 2 strikeouts.

August 3rd, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (47-55): 10
Chicago Cougars (40-61): 8

We decided to return to losing as the Kings took the first of a four game series. It was another rough start for Dick Kadlec, 8 runs and 8 hits with 6 walks and just 1 strikeout in 4 innings. Ed Woodward allowed 2 runs and 3 hits with 2 strikeouts in 2 innings. Bill Ashbaugh went 2-for-5 with a triple, homer, 2 runs, and 3 RBI's. Harry Simmons was 3-for-5 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Dick Fessel was 3-for-4 with a steal, run scored, and RBI. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Bob McCarty was 2-for-5 with a run scored and RBI.

August 4th, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (48-55): 9
Chicago Cougars (40-61): 8

We managed to score 4 in the 9th and fell just short of a thrilling comeback victory. Andy Chastain was blown up in his start, 14 hits, 8 runs, and 3 walks with just 1 strikeout in 7 innings. Chick Meehan went 2 innings with 4 hits, a run, walk, and strikeout. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with 2 runs, a double, and walk. Mike Smith was 2-for-5 with a triple, run scored, and RBI. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-4 with a walk, run scored, triple, and RBI. John Dibblee was 1-for-3 with a walk, run scored, RBI, and hit by pitch.

Looking Ahead
This awful stretch will end after we finish the final two games against the Kings (48-55) before two off days. We'll head to New York on the second one to play a single game against the Stars (55-47). We then head to Baltimore for four with the Cannons (57-48). They sit in second place, 8 games behind Philadelphia (63-38). New York is just a half game behind Baltimore while we sit 23.5 behind the Sailors.

Recently we've really struggled to get good innings from the starting pitching and Dick Kadlec's struggles have been rough on the staff. I'm going to let him work things out, but there's really no one else that can replace him in the minors. It hasn't been pretty for Ben Curtin in AAA, but if Andy Chastain has a few more terrible starts like he did this week, I may be forced to bring him back up.

Injury Report
San Jose got SP Pete Carey back from the DL. Lincoln will be without SS Pat Schuring for 1-2 weeks with an intercostal strain. He's our current #9 prospect and is hitting .281/.354/.368 (87 OPS+) with 3 steals and 30 RBI's in 211 plate appearances. He's known for his glove, however, and he owns a +4.5 ZR with the Legislators and a +9.1 mark combined with his time in San Jose. It also seems to be a trend that 2nd Round Pick Ike Quinn will end up on the DL. He's uncertain to return with a mild oblique strain.

Transactions
Optioned Ed Woodward to AAA Milwaukee and recalled Ray Powell. Woodward has a 5.81 ERA (79 ERA+), 1.59 WHIP, and 20 strikeouts in 57.2 innings out of the pen. With the Blues, Powell was 4-7 with a 4.40 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, and 47 strikeouts in 75.2 innings split between 7 starts and 13 relief appearances. I don't want to have to use Powell in the rotation, but I may have to with all the problems we've had in the rotation.

Minor League Report

LF Earl Johnson (AA Mobile Commodores): He was hitting pitiful in AAA and first base wasn't working out, so Johnson returned to AA. He responded by winning Player of the Week, going 10-for-20 with a homer and 6 RBI's. With Milwaukee, however, he hit just .221/.284/.294 (50 OPS+) with a steal and 2 RBI's in 75 trips to the plate. I think a lot of that had to do with him trying to learn a new position, but I didn't have room for him in the outfield. He'll likely return to Milwaukee once rosters expand, but for now he's stuck in Mobile.

1B Jim Fisher (A Lincoln Legislators): The 21-year-old went 5-for-5 in an 8-1 win over the Dusters. Ranked out 11th best prospect, it's been an excellent season for Fisher who is hitting .374/.442/.493 (141 OPS+) with 5 homers and 54 RBI's. He's got good power and makes a lot of contact, two things you want from a first basemen. He also isn't terrible defensively, but he is at first because he couldn't handle third.

RF Howard Moss (A Lincoln Legislators): An impressive week saw former 4th Rounder Howard Moss take home Player of the Week in the Heartland League. He hit .556 with 7 RBI's to increase his season totals to .353/.395/.590 (151 OPS+) with 7 homers and 54 RBI's. I'd move him up to AA, but my scout doesn't think he's quite ready yet despite the impressive production. He would also have to fight for playing time and I want the youngster to get everyday at bats. Moss has also caught the eye of other teams in the league, and he may end up being used as trade capital.

LF Art Miller (C La Crosse Lions): This may be the last time you ever see his name, but the 21st Round Pick in 1927 won Player of the Month in the UMVA. He hit .367 with a .496 OBP to go with 4 homers and 21 RBI's. It's been a great season for the 23-year-old who's hitting .311/.425/.441 (154 OPS+) with 5 homers and 33 RBI's in 58 games. My scout doesn't see anything in the lefty who didn't start a single game in college, but I still decided to give him the promotion to San Jose. He won't play as much, but he definitely has nothing left to learn in C Ball.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #31
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 16: August 5th-August 11th

August 5th, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (48-56): 8
Chicago Cougars (41-61): 14

W: Dick Lyons (12-9)
L: Jim Langley (9-12)

We scored *11* runs in the first inning only got one batter out, striking out Dick Fessel while every other Cougar he faced reach base and scored. That inning proved to be extremely helpful, as Dick Lyons pitched pretty poorly but didn't really have to worry. He went 7 innings with 10 hits, 7 runs, 4 walks, and 3 strikeouts. John Dibblee went 3-for-4 with a walk, homer, 2 runs, and 4 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 3-for-4 with a triple, walk, RBI, and 2 runs scored. Mack Deal was 3-for-5 with a double, walk, 2 runs, and an RBI. Harry Simmons was 3-for-6 with a double, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-4 with a walk and run scored.

August 6th, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (48-57): 2
Chicago Cougars (42-61): 3

W: Charley O'Hare (7-3)
L: Leon Thompson (11-11)
SV: Ray Powell (1)

The finale saw much less scoring, but we managed to finish the homestand with a split. Charley O'Hare was excellent, 7.1 innings with 6 hits, 1 run, 4 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-4 with a double, steal, and 2 runs scored. Art Panko was 1-for-3 with a two run homer. Luke Nixon was 1-for-2 with a double, walk, and RBI.

August 9th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (42-63): 3
New York Stars (56-48): 4

W: Dick Richards (10-6)
L: Joe Foley (0-4)
SV: Phil English (14)

The two days off lead to a loss in the lone game in New York against the Stars. Joe Foley finally allowed less runs then innings, allowing 12 hits, 4 runs, and 4 walks with 2 strikeouts in 8 innings. John Dibblee was 3-for-4 with a run scored. Bob McCarty was 2-for-3 with a steal. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-2 with a double, run scored, RBI, and 2 sac-bunts (not sure why he'd even be sacrifice bunting...). Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with a walk, run scored, and RBI.

August 10th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (42-64): 8
Baltimore Cannons (60-48): 11

W: Buzz Ham (5-5)
L: Ace McSherry (0-5)

We opened up the Cannons series by giving away a game we should've won multiple times. We blew a 5-3 lead and 8-7 lead capped off with a Joe Welsh walk-off three run homer of Ace McSherry. He allowed 5 runs and 6 hits with 1 strikeout in 1.1 innings. Dick Kadlec went 7, allowing 10 hits, 6 runs, and 5 walks with 3 strikeouts, but was 2-for-3 with a stolen base, run scored, and RBI. Joe Davis was 2-for-5 with a stolen base, double, triple, run scored, and three driven in. Fred Barrell was 2-for-4 with a triple, run scored, and sac-fly. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with a triple, walk, RBI, and 2 runs scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-4 with a double, run scored, and walk. John Dibblee was 2-for-4 with a double, run scored, and walk.

August 11th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (42-65): 1
Baltimore Cannons (61-48): 4

W: Rabbit Day (13-9)
L: Dick Lyons (12-10)

The bats fell asleep as the Cannons took the first two of four. Lyons went 8 with 6 hits, 4 runs, 3 walks, and a strikeout. He was also 1-for-2. Luke Nixon was 1-for-4 with a triple and RBI. John Dibblee was 1-for-2 with a walk, hit by pitch, and run scored.

Stars of the Week
John Dibblee : 18 AB, 10 H, 1 HR, 4 RBI, .556 AVG, 1.414 OPS
Art Panko : 8 AB, 4 H, 1 HR, 3 RBI, .500 AVG, 1.806 OPS
Bill Ashbaugh : 16 AB, 7 H, 0 HR, 1 RBI, .438 AVG, 1.151 OPS

Looking Ahead
We finish the two with the Cannons (61-48) who sit 9.5 games behind the first place Sailors (70-38) who are in the midst of a 10 game win streak. We'll then head to Brooklyn (48-59) and Montreal (55-54) for four a piece. Brooklyn is 6 games ahead of us for 7th in the CA.

We're getting close to roster expansion and some faces we likely will see include recently optioned SP Ben Curtin. He was 1-2 with a 5.55 ERA
(83 ERA+), 1.79 WHIP, and 6 strikeouts in 35.2 big league innings across 5 starts. He has been better with Milwaukee, 7-7 with a 3.27 ERA (129 ERA+), 1.36 WHIP, and 58 strikeouts in 123.2 innings across 17 starts. He'll likely be joined in the pitching ranks with Cotton Taylor (6-8, 4.98 ERA (93 ERA+), 1.79 WHIP, 49 K with Chicago and 1-0, 4.43 ERA (95 ERA+, 1.38 WHIP, 15 K with Milwaukee). On the offensive side, we'll see the outfield trio of Vince York (.310/.353/.445 (106 OPS+), 8 HR, 68 RBI), George Jordan (.294/.333/.460 (104 OPS+), 5 HR, 15 SB, 42 RBI), and Johnny Johnson (.333/.376/.453 (114 OPS+), 6 HR, 48 RBI), but it will be hard to get all the bats in the lineup. SS Slim Bloom (.270/.349/.344 (80 OPS+), 1 HR, 11 SB, 41 RBI) is the only infielder guaranteed a spot even with his struggles. The outfield will likely have guys rotate in and out every game while the rotation will likely expand to a six man job.

Injury Report
AAA RP Michael Ivory, AA CF Harry Humphrey, and B SP Harry Parker will all return to their respective teams. Milwaukee lost CF Wally Yinger to a sore elbow which will cost him 3-4 weeks. Lincoln will be without 3B Cliff Everett for 1-2 weeks with an intercostal strain. Luke Nixon is dealing with a pair of day-to-day injuries so I'd let him rest up until he's healthy.

Minor League Report

SP Johnny Walker (C La Crosse Lions): B Ball proved to be too tough for the 19-year-old (2-4, 7.58 ERA (61 ERA), 1.88 WHIP, 19 K), but in his second start back down in La Crosse, he tossed a 6-hit shutout of the Waterloo Chiefs with 8 strikeouts and just 1 walk. In 15 starts with the Lions, the recent 3rd Round Pick is 11-2 with a 2.21 ERA (152 ERA+), 1.08 WHIP, and 108 strikeouts in 126.1 innings pitched. He'll stay here for the rest of the season, but I'd love to see Walker start next season in San Jose and end it even higher.

SP Ben Turner (A Lincoln Legislators): With Mack Deal already graduated and Fred Barrell set to graduate off our top prospect list, Ben Turner (#33rd Overall) will be our new #1 prospect. He just earned himself the promotion to Mobile, and he'll finish A Ball 10-10 with a 4.10 ERA (108 ERA+), 1.54 WHIP, and 31 strikeouts in 140.1 innings across 22 starts. He's just 21, but the righty looks like a future cornerstone in a rotation. He's got four solid pitches headlined by a 89-91 MPH sinker that generates a ton of ground balls. He also boasts excellent control and does an excellent job of limiting walks. This won't be his first shot at Mobile, but the 9th Round Pick from the 1926 draft will likely never see Lincoln again.

SP Gus Cain (AAA Milwaukee Blues): It was a rough start to AAA for Gus Cain, but he's allowed just 1 run in 17 innings with 13 hits, 2 walks, and 16 strikeouts after tossing a shutout over Kansas City in his 13th AAA start. He's now 4-5 with just a 4.42 ERA (95 ERA+), 1.43 WHIP, and 63 strikeouts in 95.2 innings. If it wasn't for his struggles with AAA batters, Cain would probably already have been in the majors filling in a rotation spot, but he has a few more outings left to prove he deserves a promotion before the seasons end. He's likely guaranteed a roster spot in the offseason, but I would love to see the side winding lefty put together a string of quality starts the rest of the way.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #32
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 17: August 12th-August 18th

August 12th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (42-66): 4
Baltimore Cannons (62-48): 10

W: Ken Carpenter (18-8)
L: Charley O'Hare (7-4)

Baltimore set up the sweep as Charley O'Hare became the most recent Cougar starter to fall apart. He allowed 9 (8 earned) in 5.2 innings with 10 hits and 9 walks. Ray Powell went 2.1 with 3 hits, a run, walk, and 2 strikeouts. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with a triple, RBI, and 2 runs scored. John Dibblee was 2-for-3 with a double, sac-fly, and 2 RBI's. Dick Fessel was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Charlie Gamble came off the bench and was 1-for-2 with a run scored and RBI.

August 13th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (43-66): 6
Baltimore Cannons (62-49): 3

W: Andy Chastain (1-2)
L: Dutch Leverett (10-5)

The sweep was avoided as we salvage the finale. In a completely shocking event, Andy Chastain was solid, 7 strong innings with 9 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), a walk, and a strikeout. Dick Fessel was 3-for-5 with a double, steal, and 2 RBI's. Bill Ashbaugh was 3-for-5 with a steal, 2 runs, and an RBI. Mack Deal was 2-for-4 with a steal, walk, run scored, and RBI. John Dibblee was 2-for-5 with a double, 2 runs, and an RBI. Fred Barrell was 2-for-4 with a walk and RBI. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a walk.

August 14th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (44-66): 11
Brooklyn Kings (49-61): 6
11 Innings

W: Dick Kadlec (4-9)
L: Art Carlson (4-4)

We opened a four game series in Brooklyn with a long one against the Kings. A 5 run 7th tied the game and a 5 run 11th won it as we took the opener. Bill Ashbaugh was 4-for-6 with 2 runs and 5 RBI's with just a triple shy of the cycle. Mack Deal was 3-for-5 with a run scored, solo homer, and 3 runs scored. Art Panko was 2-for-6 with a triple and two driven in. John Dibblee was 2-for-4 with a sac-fly, walk, and run scored. Dick Kadlec pitched 10 of the innings, allowing 11 hits, 6 runs (5 earned), and 3 walks with 4 strikeouts.

August 15th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (45-66): 5
Brooklyn Kings (49-62): 4

W: Joe Foley (1-4)
L: Joe Blansit (0-4)
SV: Ace McSherry (13)

Both teams scored in the 9th so our insurance run after blowing the lead in the 7th came in clutch. Joe Foley wasn't terrible, throwing 8.1 innings with 9 hits, 4 runs (2 earned), and 5 walks with a strikeout. Ace McSherry retired the last two batters of the game for the save. John Dibblee was 3-for-4 with a double, 2 runs, and an RBI. Luke Nixon was 2-for-5 with a pair of RBI's. Mike Smith was 1-for-3 with a triple, walk, and run scored. Mack Deal was 1-for-3 with a walk and RBI.

August 16th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (46-66): 12
Brooklyn Kings (49-63): 9
12 Innings

W: Ray Powell (1-0)
L: Lyman Weigel (3-4)
SV: Ace McSherry (14)

Another extra inning game and we escaped with a victory. The red hot Bill Ashbaugh was a perfect 4-for-4 and this time missed the cycle by a homer. He walked three times, scored three times, and drove in two runs. Mack Deal was 4-for-7 with two runs, three RBI's, a double, and stolen base. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5 with a triple, run scored, RBI, and pair of walks. Luke Nixon was 2-for-6 with a double, run scored, and two driven in. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and RBI. Dick Lyons got the start, 6 innings with 11 hits, 6 runs (4 earned), 2 walks, and a strikeout. Chick Meehan allowed 3 unearned runs in 3.1 innings with 3 hits and 4 strikeouts.

August 17th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (46-67): 5
Brooklyn Kings (50-63): 10

W: Lyman Weigel (4-4)
L: Charley O'Hare (7-5)

We couldn't finish the sweep as yesterday's loser started and won the game. Today's loser, Charley O'Hare, allowed 10 runs (9 earned) with 11 hits, 5 walks, and a strikeout. Bill Ashbaugh was 3-for-5 with a double. Mack Deal was 2-for-3 with a walk and two run homer. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with a walk and 2 runs scored. John Dibblee was 2-for-5 with an RBI.

August 18th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (46-68): 3
Montreal Saints (61-54): 7

W: Sam Young (3-1)
L: Dick Kadlec (4-10)

We started the Montreal series the same way we ended the Brooklyn series. Kadlec went 8 with 10 hits, 7 runs (3 earned), 5 walks and 2 strikeouts. Luke Nixon was 2-for-4 with a homer, triple, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Bob McCarty and John Dibblee were both 1-for-4.

Stars of the Week
Bill Ashbaugh : 31 AB, 16 H, 1 HR, 9 RBI, .516 AVG, 1.422 OPS
Mack Deal : 28 AB, 12 H, 2 HR, 8 RBI, .429 AVG, 1.194 OPS
John Dibblee : 26 AB, 12 H, 0 HR, 6 RBI, .462 AVG, 1.044 OPS

Looking Ahead
Three more with the Saints (61-54) before heading to New York (62-49). We'd then head to Cleveland (51-64) for two before hosting them for two in Chicago. While the Continental Association looks rapped up with the Sailors (75-39) holding a double digit lead, our crosstown rival Chicago Chiefs (68-47) hold a one gave advantage on the Detroit Dynamos (67-48). The New York Gothams (44-73) sit 25 games out of first and will likely get the second pick of the draft as the Federal Association had the #1 overall pick last season.

Speaking of the draft, last year's number one overall pick Tommy Wilcox is sitting in AAA Rochester of the Kings organization. He's 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA (93 ERA+) in 30 innings with the Rooks, but was excellent with AA Knoxville. There he was 11-8 with a 3.43 ERA (132 ERA+), 1.33 WHIP, and 55 strikeouts in 20 starts.

It's also worth noting that 41-year-old John Dibblee is third in the CA with a .371 batting average that would lead the FA. Dibblee has won two batting titles in the past, but will have a tough test trying to pass 22-year-old rookie sensation Moxie Pidgeon of the Cleveland Foresters. He's hitting .379 and his teammate Joe Perret is hitting .375. Dibblee's .371/.411/.484 (119 OPS+) batting line is easily the worst of the three, but it'd be cool to see the veteran take another home at 41.

Injury Report
A pair of high profile prospects in SP Ike Quin and SS Pat Schuring returned from the DL. What's even better is we had our first healthy week in the organization as no one joined the DL.

Awards
2B Bill Ashbaugh won Player of the Week! The 25-year-old superstar was 16-for-31 with a homer, 9 runs, and 9 RBI's. It's been a solid season for the now healthy Ashbaugh, who's hitting .334/.392/.556 (129 OPS+) after a slow start to the season. He's also launched 16 homers, stolen 13 bases, and drove in 70 RBI's as he's flashed 20-20-100 potential.

Minor League Report

LF Vince York (AAA Milwaukee Blues): It's been a let down for Vince York this season. Not only because he's hitting just .317/.360/.456 (111 OPS+) but that he's doing so in Milwaukee. There just aren't every day at bats in Chicago for outfielders and York's stuck where he doesn't want to be. He'll get some time in September, but will have a better shot to win the job next Spring. He also could be used as trade bait in the offseason as there was interest in the 22-year-old before the deadline.

SP Heinie Bretz (A Lincoln Legislators): He's gone a little under the radar, but the 4th Round Pick and 6th ranked prospect has done excellent for the Legislators. I'm not sure the 21-year-old is ready for AA, but his 2.83 ERA (158 ERA+) and 1.20 WHIP are very impressive. He's tossed 86 innings across 13 starts and struck out 30. He's seen his velocity jump from 85-87 to 89-91 during the season and he projects as a top of the rotation arm. He does a great job of keeping the ball on the ground and his four pitch arsenal does a great job of getting strikeouts. He's definitely one of our prized prospects and he's definitely increasing his stock.

SP Lynn Albright (C La Crosse Lions): I may have been really lucky to accidentally draft Albright, as the lefty is absolutely dominating for the Lions on their pennant run. In 12 starts he's 11-1 with a 2.32 ERA (143 WHIP), 0.98 WHIP, and 105 strikeouts in 108.2 innings. He never tossed more then 100 innings in a season in College, although he also never started more then 4 games. None the less, he added a pitch and increased his velocity to 90-92 in the offseason and has picked up a quick start to his professional career. He'll finish the season in B San Jose, although a lot of pitchers from La Crosse have really struggled once there.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #33
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 18: August 19th-August 25th

August 19th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (46-69): 1
Montreal Saints (62-54): 2

W: Charlie Stedman (17-7)
L: Andy Chastain (1-3)

Offense was tough to come by in this one as the Saints edged us 2-1. Andy Chastain actually put together a really solid start, 8 innings with 6 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, and a strikeout. Harry Simmons was 2-for-3 with a double, walk, and run scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-2 with a walk and sac-fly. John Dibblee was 1-for-3 with a sac-bunt.

August 20th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (47-69): 14
Montreal Saints (62-55): 4

W: Dick Lyons (13-10)
L: Harry Rodgers (10-12)

The offense showed up today as we gave ourselves a chance to split the series. Art Panko was 3-for-4 with a homer, walk, and 2 RBI's. Mack Deal was 2-for-3 with a walk, steal, and pair of RBI's. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a double, sac-fly, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with 2 RBI's, a walk, and run scored. Harry Simmons was 1-for-4 with a double, sac-fly, and 2 RBI's. Luke Nixon was 1-for-4 with a triple, run scored, and RBI. John Dibblee was 1-for-3 with a sac-fly, 2 runs, and 2 walks. Dick Lyons was 1-for-2 with a sac-bunt and RBI and tossed 7 innings with 6 hits, 4 runs (3 earned), 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts.

August 21st, 1929
Chicago Cougars (47-70): 1
Montreal Saints (63-55): 8

W: Dave Paynter (11-9)
L: Joe Foley (1-5)

We didn't put up a fight in the finale, as the Saints handed us our 70th loss on the season. Joe Foley allowed 10 hits, 8 runs (7 earned), and 7 walks. Mack Deal was 2-for-3 with an RBI. Mike Smith was 1-for-4 with a run scored. Luke Nixon was 1-for-3 with a walk.

August 22nd, 1929
Chicago Cougars (47-71): 1
New York Stars (65-51): 9

W: Dick Richards (13-6)
L: Charley O'Hare (7-6)

One was all we could muster up again as we opened the Stars series with a deflating 9-1 loss. Charley O'Hare was charged with all 9 (8 earned) on 9 hits, 6 walks, and a strikeout. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with a double and triple. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with a walk.

August 23rd, 1929
Chicago Cougars (47-72): 9
New York Stars (66-51): 11

W: Jack Carr (4-1)
L: Chick Meehan (0-2)
SV: Phil English (16)

The pitching let us down in this one, as the Stars were now one game away from the home sweep. Dick Kadlec allowed 12 hits and 8 runs in his 6 innings while walking 2 and striking out 3. Chick Meehan allowed 3 runs (2 earned), 2 hits, and a walk in the 7th. Art Panko was 3-for-4 with 2 runs, 4 RBI's, and just a homer away from the cycle. Luke Nixon was 2-for-2 with a sac-fly, walk, and two runs scored. Fred Barrell was 2-for-3 with a run scored and two driven in. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-5 with a RBI and two runs scored. Bob McCarty was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

August 24th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (48-72): 6
New York Stars (66-52): 1

W: Dick Lyons (14-10)
L: Lou Martino (7-2)

There would be no sweep as a solid pitching performance from Dick Lyons lead us to the win. He went all 9 with 5 hits, a run, 3 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Mike Smith was 3-for-3 with a double, walk, run scored, and 2 RBI's. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-5 with 2 runs scored. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5. Luke Nixon was 1-for-4 with 2 runs and a sac-bunt. Mack Deal was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, and 2 RBI's.

August 25th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (49-72): 10
Cleveland Foresters (53-69): 9

W: Andy Chastain (2-3)
L: Eddie Gray (4-5)
SV: Ace McSherry (15)

We welcomed ourselves to Forester stadium with a nice 10-9 win. Bill Ashbaugh was 3-for-5 with 2 doubles, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Art Panko was 3-for-5 with a triple, run scored, and two driven in. Slick Hostetter was 2-for-5 with a double, homer, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Dick Fessel was 2-for-5 with a double, steal, run scored, and RBI. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5 with 2 runs and an RBI. Pitcher Andy Chastain was 2-for-4 with a double and RBI. He also gave up 9 runs off 11 hits with 7 walks in 7.2 innings. Ace McSherry retired the last four Foresters to earn the save.

Stars of the Week
Art Panko : 14 AB, 9 H, 1 HR, 8 RBI, .643 AVG, 1.881 OPS
Dick Lyons : 2 Wins, 16.0 IP, 7 BB, 4 K, 2.25 ERA
Harry Simmons : 28 AB, 9 H, 0 HR, 3 RBI, .321 AVG, .855 OPS

Looking Ahead
We headed home and will host the Foresters (53-69) for two before heading back on the road for four with the Sailors (80-42) who's lead is 11.5 as we approach the final month of the season. We'll start September with two games in three days hosting the now 7th Place Toronto Wolves (52-70) who are just 2.5 games ahead of us.

Rosters expand on Sunday as auditions for next year commence. The only real "locks" for roster spots next season are Bill Ashbaugh and Dick Lyons, although Fred Barrell, Mack Deal, Harry Simmons, and Bob McCarty will likely join them in the Opening Day lineup. John Dibblee will have a spot as long as he decides to play baseball, but beyond that, a lot of guys can earn or lose favor with their month. The outfield logjam will be fun to sort out as both George Jordan and Vince York are likely to get a lot of at bats. Gus Cain looks likely to join the rotation and Slim Bloom will get some time at short to allow Harry Simmons and Mack Deal to get a few days of rest after a long season.

Injury Report
3B Cliff Everett is now healthy and will head to AA Mobile. 19-year-old Pete Carey will miss the rest of San Jose's season with bicep tendinitis.

Minor League Report

1B Bill Miller (AA Mobile Commodores): A 5th Round Pick by Pittsburgh in 1922, Bill Miller was released before playing for them and eventually joined us in September of 1925. A native of Chicago, Miller is hitting .301/.357/.426 (103 OPS+) with 3 homers and 57 RBI's in 362 plate appearances for the Commodores. He's stuck behind Luke Nixon at first base and with Jim Fisher on his tail in Lincoln, Miller seems to be a man without a place. He's an excellent defensive first basemen with an impressive +10.2 ZR, so he may eventually get reps at other positions in the infield to improve his versatility.

SP Joe King (A Lincoln Legislators): Acquired in the Johnny Douglas trade (who's actually in AAA now), Joe King has done excellent since coming over from Philadelphia. In 11 starts with the Legislators, he's 6-2 with a 3.24 ERA (137 ERA+), 1.14 WHIP, and 26 strikeouts across 80.2 innings. With the season nearly over, he's not going to get much (if any) time in AA, but he can move up when callups move as well. He just turned 23, but King is only in his second professional season and he appears ready for the upper minors.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #34
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 19: August 26th-September 1st

August 26th, 1929
Cleveland Foresters (54-69): 9
Chicago Cougars (49-73): 1

W: George Barker (6-1)
L: Charley O'Hare (7-7)
SV: Cat Spanos (1)

It was an awful game all around as the now visiting Foresters dominated us 9-1. It was a rough start for Charley O'Hare, allowing 12 hits and 9 runs with 3 walks and 2 strikeouts in 4.2 innings pitched. Ray Powell, however, tossed 4.1 hitless innings with just 1 walk and 2 strikeouts. Fred Barrell was 2-for-4 with a double. Luke Nixon was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

August 27th, 1929
Cleveland Foresters (54-70): 8
Chicago Cougars (50-73): 9
10 Innings

W: Chick Meehan (1-2)
L: Ernie Davey (3-4)

We picked up win #50 on the season to split the home portion of the series before heading off to Philadelphia to get likely swept by the Sailors. Bill Ashbaugh went 2-for-4 with a walk, homer, and 3 RBI's. Luke Nixon was 2-for-5 with a double and 2 runs scored. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5 with a run scored. Mack Deal was 1-for-2 with 3 walks and an RBI. Fred Barrell was 1-for-4 with a double, walk, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Mike Smith was 1-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored. Joe Davis had a pinch-hit 2 run single in the 5th. He pinch hit for Joe Foley, who allowed 8 runs (6 earned) in 5 innings with 9 hits, 5 walks, and a strikeout.

August 28th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (50-75): 4
Philadelphia Sailors (81-44): 11

W: Russ Reel (14-5)
L: Dick Lyons (14-11)

The best of the CA were too much to handle, as they took the opener 11-4. They hit Dick Lyons hard, 14 hits and 8 runs in 6.1 innings with just a walk and a strikeout. Chick Meehan allowed 3 hits and 3 runs with 2 walks and a strikeout in 1.2 innings. Bill Ashbaugh was 3-for-5 with a triple. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with a steal and 2 runs scored. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a double and RBI. Dick Fessel was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, and RBI.

August 29th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (50-76): 3
Philadelphia Sailors (82-44): 9

W: Johnny Davis (14-12)
L: Dick Kadlec (4-11)

Another rough showing against the Sailors as they put us away with little effort expended. The only bright spot of this game was backup SS George Sanders was 4-for-4 with a double, two triples, a run, and RBI. Dick Kadlec was charged with 11 hits, 9 runs, and 7 walks with just 2 strikeouts in 5.2 innings. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with a double, walk, and RBI. Fred Barrell was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

August 30th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (50-77): 4
Philadelphia Sailors (83-44): 5
11 Innings

W: John Mahoney (3-0)
L: Chick Meehan (1-3)

Dick Walker singled home Tom Taylor in the 11th to give the Sailors a chance for the sweep tomorrow. Charley O'Hare put together 7.1 innings with 5 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), 6 walks, and 6 strikeouts. Chick Meehan allowed a hit, run, walk, and strikeout in 2.1 innings. Luke Nixon was 3-for-5 with a run scored and sac-fly. John Dibblee was 3-for-5 with a hit by pitch, steal, and run scored. George Sanders was 1-for-3 with a walk and 2 RBI's. Tom Rogers was 1-for-4 with an RBI.

August 31st, 1929
Chicago Cougars (50-78): 1
Philadelphia Sailors (84-44): 11

W: John Mahoney (3-0)
L: Chick Meehan (1-3)

We might as well have not have shown up for the finale, as the Sailors crushed us 11-1. Andy Chastain allowed 7 hits, 7 runs, and 6 walks with 2 strikeouts in 6 innings. Ray Powell allowed 4 hits, 4 runs, and 3 walks in 1.1 innings. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored while Harry Simmons was 1-for-4 with a double and RBI. Mack Deal was 1-for-3 with a steal.

September 1st, 1929
Toronto Wolves (54-71): 9
Chicago Cougars (50-78): 8
10 Innings

W: Don Cannaday (9-12)
L: Chick Meehan (1-4)

We started September with a heartbreaking extra inning loss against the Toronto Wolves at North Side Grounds. They tied it with 2 in the 9th and added another in the 10th to finish us off. Mack Deal was 4-for-5 with a two run homer. Luke Nixon was 3-for-5 with 2 doubles, a run scored, and RBI. Harry Simmons was 3-for-5 with 2 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 2-for-6 with a triple, 2 runs, and an RBI. Fred Barrell was 2-for-4 with a walk, RBI, and 2 runs scored. Art Panko was 1-for-3 with a walk, run scored, and RBI. Dick Lyons continued to see his ERA rise, with 6 runs (4 earned) in 7.1 innings with 6 hits, 3 walks, and 7 strikeouts. Ace McSherry allowed 3 hits and 2 runs with a walk and strikeout in 1.2 innings. Chick Meehan allowed the final run with 2 hits and a walk in the 10th.

Stars of the Week
Luke Nixon : 23 AB, 10 H, 0 HR, 3 RBI, .435 AVG, .982 OPS
Bill Ashbaugh : 24 AB, 8 H, 1 HR, 4 RBI, .333 AVG, .902 OPS
Bob McCarty : 28 AB, 8 H, 0 HR, 4 RBI, .286 AVG, .798 OPS

Looking Ahead
For good teams, September means a playoff push, but for bad team's like ours we're just happy for roster expansion! The active roster expands to 35 today so I can start bringing call ups up as our minor league seasons end. C La Crosse's season ends today, but they are 87-35 and will play in the postseason. B San Jose plays until the 23rd, but I will move guys up since the roster size of 30 is bigger then needed to play games. Same for A Lincoln, who plays until the 23rd as well. AA Mobile and AAA Milwaukee play as long, but I will replenish their rosters with guys from the lower levels to keep each team with 23 players.

For the major leaguers, we have a double header with Toronto (54-71) who like us and the Foresters are officially eliminated from the postseason (while the rest of the CA is unofficially eliminated). We're off before three more against the Wolves in Toronto. It's a quick road trip as we'll host the Cannons (69-58) for three more before another off day. I would've loved these off days when we didn't have reinforcements.

Speaking of the reinforcements, I'll detail each guy getting the call in the transactions portion of the report. I will be using 7-Day Lineups for the first time in my OOTP career to involve some of the new additions to the roster and add pitchers to the rotation. With just 26 games left this season, I can't wait until the offseason where I can add a bunch of new faces to the organization.

Awards

2B Bill Ashbaugh was named the Continental Association Batter of August! It was a great month for Ashbaugh, who hit .405 with 5 homers and 28 RBI's. For the season, our slugging young start is hitting .332/.384/.541 (124 OPS+) with 17 homers, 13 steals, and 78 RBI's in 101 games.

Injury Report
I think it's safe to call SP Ike Quinn a bust already, as the 18-year-old and recent 2nd Round Pick will miss all of next season with a ruptured ulnar collateral ligament. It's his fifth injury this season as he was only able to make 9 starts with the Lions in Class C. He was 2-2 with a 3.20 ERA (104 ERA+), 1.32 WHIP, and 50 strikeouts in 59 innings.

Transactions
SP Ben Curtin will return to the major league roster. He'll finish his AAA season 10-9 with a 3.52 ERA (120 ERA+), 1.45 WHIP, and 72 strikeouts across 163.2 innings with the Blues. In 5 big league starts, he was 1-2 with a 5.55 ERA (84 ERA+), 1.79 WHIP, and 6 strikeouts to 20 walks in 35.2 innings. He'll get some more starts to improve on what he started and possibly earn himself a rotation spot for next season.

I also purchased the contract of SP Gus Cain. He wasn't great for Milwaukee, 4-7 with a 4.66 ERA (90 ERA+), 1.49 WHIP, and 76 strikeouts in 114 innings, but I don't like the guys starting games for us now any more then I like him. The lefty is a good teammate as well, and will look to make his major league debut 5 years after the Toronto Wolves made him a 10th Round pick and decided to release him.

C Tony Stewart will also join the big league club to give us an additional option behind the plate. In 153 at bats with the Blues he hit just .255/.328/.340 (74 OPS+) with 2 homers and 25 RBI's. I don't expect him to play too much, but it can help relax the catching load on Fred Barrell by having an extra able catcher on the roster.

CF George Jordan and RF Johnny Johnson were recalled from AAA while LF Vince York got his contract purchased. The switch hitting Jordan hit .274/.319/.433 (94 OPS+) with 9 homers, 18 steals, and 55 RBI's. Last year with us, he hit .245/.309/.367 (82 OPS+) with a steal and 6 RBI's. He will play a little in center, but expect him to get a few starts in left and right as well. Johnson, 26, will debut after being a 4th Round selection in 1924. He hit .325/.372/.444 (111 OPS+) with 7 homers, 7 steals, and 59 RBI's in 532 trips to the plate. He isn't likely to see much time starting, but he should get a lot of pinch hit appearances. York, 23, was taken in the 2nd Round the same year as Johnson and will also make his big league debut. After hitting over .400 in AA last season, he hit .311/.359/.451 (109 OPS+) with 10 homers and 75 RBI's in 513 plate appearances. I'll be looking to give the switch hitter a few starts a week in the corners.

SS Slim Bloom will be the last call up, however, he is dealing with a minor day-to-day injury. The 24-year-old was a 13th Round Pick in 1923 and will be set to make his big league debut. He hit .274/.350/.347 with 2 homers, 12 steals, and 54 RBI's in 486 plate appearances.

Our active roster now sits at 30 of 35, but I will make a few more call ups before the season ends. Guys likely to get the call are Cotton Taylor, Ed Woodward, and Ben Hathaway, although I may clear up the 40 man a bit to purchase the contracts of a few other younger guys who will need to be protected in the offseason.

Minor League Report

RF Sam Reeves (B San Jose Cougars): The 22-year-old hit .419 with 2 homers and 21 RBI's to pick up the C-O-W- Batter of the Month Award for August. The former 14th Round Pick is slashing .348/.412/.525 (134 OPS+) with 5 homers, 28 steals, and 73 RBI's in 525 trips to the plate with San Jose. Now ranked the #28 prospect in our system, Reeves is looking for a long term position as he's tried to stick at third, left, center, and right. He's got outstanding speed and the potential to be an above average hitter as well, so his future depends on his glove. He's been in our system since 1925, but has made more at bats this season then the rest of his seasons combined. He'll start next season in A Lincoln as he attempts to pave his path to Chicago.

SP Johnny Walker (C La Crosse Lions): Despite a slight setback when promoted to B San Jose, our 3rd Round pick has done an excellent job this season. After a 2-hit shutout of the Marshalltown Kings, he'll have just 1 start left in the regular season. With the Lions, he's 12-3 with a 2.27 ERA (146 ERA+), 1.12 WHIP, and 137 strikeouts in 150.2 innings pitched. He's at least tied for the team lead in each category, but with a win today he'll pass Dean Astle for most wins on the season for the Lions. If there is a postseason (not sure now that I look at it), Walker will look to pitch La Crosse to the championship in their inaugural season.

3B John Kane (C La Crosse Lions): Another player of the month, John Kane hit 319 with 11 RBI's and 21 runs scored for La Crosse. It's been a strong season for the 11th Round pick who hit .300/.425/.413 (146 OPS+) with 2 homes, 8 steals, and 67 RBI's in 112 games with the Lions. He's a little hold for C Ball at 23, but he's been considered more of a filler player then a prospect. He was converted from the outfield this season to play third base, and he's taken to the new position very well. He'll return to San Jose, and likely took his last at bats with La Crosse.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #35
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 20: September 2nd-September 8th

September 2nd, 1929
Toronto Wolves (54-72): 3
Chicago Cougars (51-78): 4
Game 1

W: Ace McSherry (1-5)
L: Bert Flores (13-15)

Gus Cain got the start in the opener and looked excellent, 8.1 innings with 7 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), and 5 strikeouts. Ace McSherry walked and struck out a batter and got his first big league win. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a steal, walk, triple, and two runs scored. John Dibblee was 2-for-4 with a double, sac bunt, and RBI.Bill Ashbaugh and Luke Nixon were both 2-for-4 with an RBI.

September 2nd, 1929
Toronto Wolves (54-73): 8
Chicago Cougars (52-78): 9
Game 2

W: Ace McSherry (2-5)
L: Don Cannaday (9-13)

They scored five in the last three while we scored 6 and walked off 9-8 winners after a pinch hitting Fred Barrell singled home Joe Davis to end it. Interesting enough, Ace McSherry got the win again, making him likely the first FABL player to receive the win in both games of a double header. He allowed 2 hits in 1.1 innings after Joe Foley was roughed up in 7.2 innings. He allowed 11 hits, 8 runs, and 5 walks. Slick Hostetter went 3-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Vince York was 3-for-5 in his big league debut. George Jordan was 2-for-4 with 2 walks, a run scored, and driven in. Dick Fessel was 2-for-5 with a double and run scored. Johnny Johnson was 1-for-3 with a double in his debut. Mack Deal was 1-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and two driven in.

September 4th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (52-79): 3
Toronto Wolves (55-73): 4

W: Willie Couillard (11-12)
L: Dick Kadlec (4-12)

After the off day we still faced the Wolves, but this time in Toronto. They got the best of us in another one run game after scoring 2 in the 8th before allowing 1 in the 9th. This game was not without scare, as star 2B Bill Ashbaugh left the game after doubling in the fourth. Fortunately, he's healthy, but if I was playing this game out I would have panicked once he left the game. His replacement, George Sanders was 2-for-2 with a double.Joe Davis was 2-for-4 with a steal, run scored, and RBI. George Jordan was 1-for-4 with a steal and run scored. Mike Smith had a pinch hit double and run scored during our 9th inning comeback. On the mound, Dick Kadlec allowed 4 runs in 8 innings with 6 hits, 4 walks, and 3 strikeouts.

September 5th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (52-80): 5
Toronto Wolves (56-73): 13

W: Willie Couillard (12-15)
L: Ben Curtin (1-3)

No more one run games as the Wolves blew us out in this one. It was an awful return to the majors for Ben Curtin, who allowed 11 runs (5 earned) off 9 hits and 6 walks with just 1 strikeout in 2.2 innings. Andy Chastain pitched 5.1 innings, allowing 4 hits and 2 runs with a strikeout. John Dibblee was 3-for-5 with two doubles, a run scored, and two driven in. Harry Simmons was 2-for-3 with 2 runs and a solo homer. Vince York was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-3 with a walk, and didn't leave this game with an injury.

September 6th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (52-81): 3
Toronto Wolves (57-73): 5

W: Bert Flores (14-15)
L: Dick Lyons (14-12)

The Wolves swept the Toronto side of the series to send us back to the states deflated. Dick Lyons allowed 5 runs (2 earned) with 9 hits and 3 walks in 7 innings. Luke Nixon was 1-for-4 with a double, run, and steal. Tony Stewart was 1-for-3 with a double and run scored in his season debut. Harry Simmons was 1-for-4 with a double and RBI. Art Panko was 1-for-4 with an RBI. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with a double.

September 7th, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (74-58): 7
Chicago Cougars (52-82): 0

W: Ben White (1-0)
L: Charley O'Hare (7-8)

I'd say we left the bats in Toronto, but that would have required us scoring runs against them... The Cannons shut us out as we opened a three game home series. It was a dream debut for former 2nd Rounder Ben White, who tossed a 6-hit shutout for Baltimore. Charley O'Hare 8 innings weren't terrible, as 5 of his 7 runs were unearned and a lot of his 10 hits and 4 walks came after three Luke Nixon errors (and one of his own). It was my fault for the Nixon errors, as I played him at second to keep his bat in the lineup. He's a solid defender at first (+3.9 ZR, +27.0 career) but he some how managed a -2.2 ZR in just 9 innings. Vince York was 2-for-2 with a double. Mike Smith and O'Hare were both 1-for-2.

September 8th, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (75-58): 8
Chicago Cougars (52-83): 1

W: Ken Carpenter (21-9)
L: Gus Cain (0-1)

We at least put a run on the board, but the Cannons set up the sweep with an 8-1 victory. This time Gus Cain was the victim of poorly timed errors, as 5 of his 6 runs were unearned. He went 5.1 innings with 6 walks and 5 strikeouts in what really turned out to be a decent first week in the majors. Joe Foley allowed 2 runs in 1.2 innings with 2 hits, 2 walks, and a strikeout before leaving with an injury. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-4 with a double and our only RBI. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with the run scored. George Jordan was 2-for-4. Johnny Johnson had a pinch hit double in the 9th.

Stars of the Week
Ace McSherry : 2 Wins, 2.0 IP, 1 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
Mike Smith : 6 AB, 5 H, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .833 AVG, 2.167 OPS
Vince York : 11 AB, 6 H, 0 HR, 1 RBI, .545 AVG, 1.220 OPS

Looking Ahead
We have one more against the Cannons (75-58) before an off day. We'd remain home and play three against the second place Stars (75-56) before another meaningless off day. We'd then host Brooklyn (58-74) for four games in three days. The off day would be better suited after the Kings series, but we do have 7 off days after the 19th.

Injury Report
Joe Foley will hit the DL with a sore back. He'll likely be back after the minimum although I'm not sure we are going to miss him. AAA RP Claude Purvis and B 2B Bobby Rose will return from the DL.

Transactions
I recalled SP Cotton Taylor from AAA Milwaukee where he was 3-2 with a 4.15 ERA (101 ERA+) in 8 starts with a 1.62 WHIP, 35 strikeouts, and 28 walks. In 18 FABL starts, he was 6-8 with a 4.98 ERA (93 ERA+), 63 walks, and 48 strikeouts. I don't envision any additional call-ups until after the minor league season ends, however, I am leaning towards purchasing the contracts of SP Milt Nelson and 2B? (he can play literally anywhere) Hank Mitchell. Both are eligible for the Rule-5 draft. Nelson was picked up from Brooklyn in the ill fated Buzz Ham deal and Mitchell was a 2nd Round Pick in the 1925 draft.

Minor League Report

CF Gene Ross (B San Jose Cougars): It was a great week for the 20-year-old, as Gene Ross hit .483 with 2 homers, 4 RBI's, and 9 runs scored for the Cougars. The former 3rd Round Pick is a favorite of my scout who thinks he can be an above average big league starter. He's a little guy, just 5'6'', but he's an excellent defender in center and has the athleticism to stick out there. For the season, he's hitting .313/.355/.455 (103 OPS+) with 12 homers, 8 steals, and 69 RBI's. Lincoln is likely his starting point for next season, but with a lot of outfield depth in the system he may have a hard time finding consistent playing time.

SP Johnny Walker (C La Crosse Lions): The Class C season ended with a brilliant outing by Johnny Walker, who tossed a 3-hit shutout with 2 walks and 11 strikeouts in a 8-0 win over Burlington. The 3rd Round picks season will end with that, as he finished the season 13-3 with a 2.14 ERA (155 ERA+), 1.09 WHIP, and 148 strikeouts in 159.2 innings. If it wasn't for his poor showing in San Jose (where he was 2-4 with a 7.58 ERA (61 ERA+), 1.88 WHIP, and 19 strikeouts in 46.1 innings) I'd have given him the promotion. Instead, he'll end with just over 200 innings pitched for the year, more then his entire high school career. He doesn't rank in our top 30 prospect list (although I'm convinced OSA doesn't rank pitching prospects well), but the high powered strikeout machine appears to me as one of the best pitchers we have in our system. He's mastered Class C batters, and at 20 next year he's ready to start his rise up the ladder.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #36
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 21: September 9th-September 15th

September 9th, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (75-59): 9
Chicago Cougars (53-83): 10

W: Dick Kadlec (5-12)
L: Earle Charlton (0-1)
SV: Ace McSherry (16)

New week, new offense as the Cougars managed to score 10 in the finale to avoid the sweep. Slim Bloom lead the way, 3-for-4 with a double, hit by pitch, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 3-for-4 with a steal and 2 RBI's. Bill Ashbaugh was 3-for-4 with a walk. Vince York was 3-for-5 with 2 RBI's. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5 with a triple, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Fred Barrell was 2-for-4 with 3 runs and a walk. George Jordan was 2-for-5 with 2 runs scored. Dick Kadlec allowed 11 hits and 8 runs with 4 walks and 3 strikeouts in 7 innings. Ace McSherry went 2 with 2 hits, a run, 2 walks, and a strikeout.

September 11th, 1929
New York Stars (78-56): 8
Chicago Cougars (53-84): 5

W: Jack Carr (5-1)
L: Chick Meehan (1-5)
SV: Phil English (17)

We were off before starting the Stars series, but they managed to take down our rested squad. Dick Lyons got the start, 6.1 innings with 8 hits, 5 runs, 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Chick Meehan got the loss, allowing 3 runs off 4 hits and a walk in 1.2 innings. Harry Simmons was 3-for-5 with 3 RBI's. Bill Ashbaugh was 3-for-4 with a run scored. Bob McCarty was 2-for-5 with a triple and 2 runs scored. Mack Deal was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with a walk and RBI.

September 12th, 1929
New York Stars (79-56): 7
Chicago Cougars (53-85): 6

W: Lou Martino (10-3)
L: Cotton Taylor (6-9)
SV: Boyd Harper (5)

After being down 7-0, we almost completed a thrilling comeback. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-3 with 2 walks, a double, run scored, and RBI. Fred Barrell was 2-for-4 with a solo homer. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5 with an RBI. Luke Nixon was 1-for-4 with a steal, walk, and RBI. Bob McCarty was 1-for-5 with a two run double. Johnny Johnson was 1-for-4 with a run scored. Cotton Taylor allowed 7 runs with 9 hits and 5 walks in 6 innings in his return to the big leagues.

September 13th, 1929
New York Stars (79-57): 2
Chicago Cougars (54-85): 4

W: Ben Curtin (2-3)
L: Del Plummer (8-12)
SV: Ace McSherry (17)

We avoided the sweep with a close 4-2 victory in the finale before another off day. Bill Ashbaugh won this game single handedly, going 2-for-4 with 2 homers and 3 RBI's. Luke Nixon was 3-for-4. George Jordan was 1-for-4 with a solo homer. John Dibblee was 1-for-4 with a run scored. Ben Curtin allowed 13 hits in 8 innings, but it only amounted to 2 runs. He struck out 2 and walked 3.

September 15th, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (62-76): 11
Chicago Cougars (54-86): 4
Game 1

W: Lyman Weigel (7-6)
L: Gus Cain (0-2)

The first game of a double header was a blowout as the visiting Kings thrashed us 11-4. Gus Cain was rocked for 9 runs on 11 hits in 5 innings with 5 walks and a strikeout. Andy Chastain allowed 2 hits and 2 unearned runs in 4 innings of mop up. Luke Nixon was 3-for-4 with a steal and 2 runs scored. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-5. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, run scored, and RBI. Bob McCarty was 1-for-2 with 2 walks.

September 15th, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (62-77): 1
Chicago Cougars (55-86): 9
Game 2

W: Dick Kadlec (6-12)
L: Mickey Beavers (0-1)

Despite a lineup of nearly all backups, we overpowered the Kings 9-1 to split the double header. It's hard to say Dick Kadlec was great, but he allowed 10 hits with a run, walk, and, strikeout in the complete game victory. John Dibblee was 3-for-5 with a double, RBI, and 3 walks. Slim Bloom was 3-for-4 with a double and 2 runs scored. Luke Nixon was 2-for-3 with an RBI. George Jordan and Johnny Johnson were both 1-for-4 with 3 RBI's while Jordan added a walk. Tony Stewart was 1-for-3 with a walk, run scored, and RBI. Charlie Gamble was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.

Stars of the Week
Bill Ashbaugh : 20 AB, 12 H, 2 HR, 4 RBI, .600 AVG, 1.617 OPS
Slim Bloom : 9 AB, 6 H, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .667 AVG, 1.589 OPS
Bob McCarty : 16 AB, 7 H, 0 HR, 4 RBI, .438 AVG, 1.125 OPS

Awards
Another Player of the Week for Bill Ashbaugh! He was 12-for-20 with 2 homers, 4 RBI's, and 4 runs scored for his second Player of the Week since August. Ashbaugh heated up in August and is now hitting .404/.472/.596 with 2 homers and 7 RBI's in 13 September games. He won't reach 20/20, but he has a shot for 20/15 (19/13) with a few games left to go. We don't really have a youngster to take at bats for him, so Ashbaugh is likely to play most of our remaining games.

Looking Ahead
We have two more against Brooklyn (62-77) before Montreal (71-67) comes to town for a four game series with an off day in the middle. We then have five(!) days off before the Foresters (56-82) come to town in a battle for the #1 pick in a quick two game set. We then have two more off days followed by 5 in Cleveland and a final game at home hosting the Sailors (95-46). Philly will likely have 100 wins and the pennant rapped up by then, as their 14 game lead seems almost impossible to blow.

I'm also enjoying the performance of some of the younger guys. Slim Bloom is 6-for-13 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI's, Vince York is 10-for-22 with a double and 3 RBI's, George Jordan is 10-for-26 with a double, homer, and 5 RBI's, and Johnny Johnson is 4-for-12 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI's. As September continues, they will see more and more game action despite our lack of actual games. And as much as I hate how losing helps bring us closer to a Barrell battery, I'm not sure the struggling Foresters can "blow" their 2.5 game lead considering we play each other seven times and I can't see either team winning a majority of those games.

Injury Report
Joe Foley's return is now unknown, so I think I made the right choice sending him to the DL. He might not make it back next sim.

Transactions
The double header will cause us to need an additional starter, so I am bringing up Milt Nelson from AAA and moving Lou Gaffin to the 60-Day DL as he will not be able to return this season. I have guys I can DFA, but with the minor leagues still in session, I don't want to take a player away from their rosters.

Minor League Report

SP Milt Nelson (AAA Milwaukee Blues): Nelson, 25, will make his big league debut despite being slightly below average (99, 96 ERA+) in both AA and AAA. He throws absolute gas (for this era) and can hit 96 with his cutter. He's a groundballer with an excellent change-up and splitter as well and he can be unhittable at times. A former 4th Round Pick out of Bayou State, he and an 8th Round Pick came from Brooklyn for last year's surprise ERA leader Buzz Ham. Luckily (?) for us, Ham has been awful for the Cannons this season, going 6-6 with a 5.88 ERA (77 ERA+), 1.59 WHIP, and 32 strikeouts in 75 innings split between the pen and the rotation. Nelson finished his Mobile time 7-7 with a 4.51 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, and 46 strikeouts in 111.2 innings while he finished Milwaukee 9-5 with a 4.39 ERA, 1.61 WHIP, and 87 strikeouts in 106.2 innings.

SS Clyde Hinzman (AAA Milwaukee Blues): I gave him the September promotion to AAA when Slim Bloom was recalled, and he responded by mashing the ball. The glove first shortstop hit .450/.521/.675 (209 OPS+) with 2 homers and 7 RBI's in 49 AAA plate appearances. His AA numbers were impressive as well, as he hit .306/.363/.419 (101 OPS+) with 3 homers and 57 RBI's to go with a +10.3 ZR. Our 6th round pick in the 1925 draft, Hinzman ranks 3rd in our system (right above Slim Bloom) and 52nd in all of baseball. We are really deep at shortstop, but Hinzman has done everything he can to stick out. I can't see him starting next year in the majors, but he's definitely on the cusp of making his debut.

SP Art Black (A Lincoln Legislators): When the season started, Black was ranked our 28th prospect and I decided I'd let him pitch in the rotation even though he only had two pitches. He responded with a great season in Lincoln, going 12-8 with a 3.33 ERA (133 ERA+), 1.35 WHIP, and 31 strikeouts in 184 innings. The 5th Round Pick from 1927 has shot up all the way to 7th in the organization and cracked the top 100, sitting at 81st in the FABL. Black added an extra mile to his velocity and brought his walk rate down from 2.8 to 2.1. My scout thinks he can stick in the rotation, and after the results this season, I'm definitely willing to see what he can do long term. "Burger" might be a nice draft steal even though I was going for his counterpart Art Black on draft day.

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 01-29-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #37
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 22: September 16th-September 22nd

September 16th, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (62-78): 8
Chicago Cougars (56-86): 17

W: Dick Lyons (15-12)
L: Bill Kutz (1-2)

The offense exploded in this one and an 8 run 2nd helped the cause. Luke Nixon had another 5 hit game, going 5-for-6 with a double, RBI, 2 steals, and 4 runs scored. Bill Ashbaugh was a homer away from the cycle, 4-for-6 with 2 runs and 4 RBI's. Vince York was 3-for-6 with a double, run scored, and 2 RBI's. Slim Bloom was 2-for-4 with a triple, sac-fly, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Joe Davis was 2-for-3 with a walk, hit by pitch, RBI, 2 runs, and 2 steals. George Jordan was 2-for-5 with a double, walk, run, and 2 RBI's. Mack Deal was 2-for-5 with a walk, steal, run scored, and RBI. Dick Lyons had a rough start, 13 hits and 8 runs (7 earned) with 2 strikeouts in 8 innings. He was 1-for-4 with a run scored and two driven in at the plate.

September 17th, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (63-78): 12
Chicago Cougars (56-87): 4

W: Tommy Wilcox (2-0)
L: Cotton Taylor (6-10)

We dropped the finale as the Kings left Chicago with a 12-4 win. Cotton Taylor allowed 9 hits and 9 runs (7 earned) with 4 walks and 2 strikeouts in 5 innings. Charlie O'Hare left with injury after 3.1 innings with 4 hits, a run, walk, and strikeout. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with a steal and run scored. Art Panko was 1-for-4 with a triple, run scored, and RBI. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-4 with a run scored and pair of RBI's.

September 18th, 1929
Montreal Saints (72-69): 6
Chicago Cougars (56-88): 2

W: John Lizak (1-2)
L: Ben Curtin (2-4)

The Saints opened the four game split set with a 6-2 win. Ben Curtin allowed 5 runs off 9 hits and 7 walks with 2 strikeouts in 8.1 innings. Chick Meehan got the final 2 outs, but allowed 3 hits and a run. Slick Hostetter was 2-for-3 with a walk, double, homer, and 2 RBI's. Mack Deal was 2-for-3 with a double and steal. John Dibblee was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

September 19th, 1929
Montreal Saints (73-69): 11
Chicago Cougars (56-89): 3

W: Denny Wren (1-0)
L: Milt Nelson (0-1)

The first half of the four game series ended with an 11-3 defeat. In his big league debut, Milt Nelson allowed 7 runs (6 earned) off 7 hits with 2 strikeouts in 5.1 innings. His 10 walks tied our team single game record. Luckily, he has no where to go except up after this start... George Jordan was 3-for-4 with a double, run scored, and RBI.Vince York was 2-for-4 with a steal and run scored. Mack Deal was 2-for-4 with a double and run scored. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with a double, RBI, and walk.

September 21st, 1929
Montreal Saints (73-70): 6
Chicago Cougars (57-89): 7
10 Innings

W: Ace McSherry (3-5)
L: Leo Hall (8-9)

After the off day, we scored 3 in the 8th (after allowing 2 in the top half) to tie the game. In the 10th, Luke Nixon sent us home walk off winners with an RBI single. He was 3-for-6 in the game. John Dibblee a homer away from the cycle, going 3-for-5 with a run scored and driven in. Mack Deal was 2-for-4 with a double, 2 runs, and an RBI. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-5 with a double, triple, run scored, and RBI. Bob McCarty was 2-for-5 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Art Panko was 1-for-2 with a walk and RBI. Harry Simmons was 1-for-4 with a double, run scored, walk, and RBI.

September 22nd, 1929
Montreal Saints (73-71): 3
Chicago Cougars (58-89): 4

W: Ray Powell (2-0)
L: Dave Paynter (11-14)

Another close one as we took the finale 4-3 to secure the split. Gus Cain had a really great start against the team that took him in the Rule-5 Draft and later released him, going 7+ innings with 8 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), 1 walk, and 3 strikeouts. Powell blew the save, allowing a hit and run with a strikeout in 2 innings. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with a double and 2 runs scored. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Art Panko was 1-for-2 with a RBI and 2 walks. Johnny Johnson was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, and 2 RBI's.

Stars of the Week
Bill Ashbaugh : 23 AB, 8 H, 0 HR, 7 RBI, .348 AVG, .957 OPS
Luke Nixon : 20 AB, 8 H, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .400 AVG, .979 OPS
Mack Deal : 21 AB, 8 H, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .381 AVG, .933 OPS

Looking Ahead
With the season almost over, we are off until September 28th where we start a two game series against Cleveland (60-84). We then get two days to travel to Cleveland for a four game set before ending our season with a single game against the Continental Association pennant winning Philadelphia Sailors (99-48). This week really sucks, as I'd love to let the young guys get playing time, but instead we only get 2 games the whole week. I'll likely do a shortened write up as there really won't be anything to report on. The minor league seasons also end today.

Injury Report
Charlie O'Hare will hit the DL with back spasms. He's likely done for the season. Milwaukee will get CF Wally Yinger back for their last game. Mobile lost LF Charlie Day with an oblique strain and 2B Hank Mitchell with an oblique strain. He likely will now not receive a callup.

Transactions
I decided to bring up a few additional players, recalling RP Ed Woodward, 3B Ben Hathaway, SP Benny Walker, and LF Juan Valquez just because the minor league seasons were ending. Our roster now sits at 34 of 35 with room for Joe Foley to return.

Minor League Report

LF Heinie Glass (A Lincoln Legislators): The lesser known Heinie in our system, Glass launched three homers in a 13-8 win over the Cedar Rapids Chiefs. Glass, a 6th Round Pick in 1926, spent most of his time on the Legislators bench, but still managed to hit 13 homers and 42 RBI's in just under 200 trips to the plate. He hit .282/.333/.541 (122 OPS+) but started in just 39 of his 83 games. The 24-year-old has struggled to find playing time this season, but he could find himself in an every day capacity next season with Vince York and George Jordan likely to start the season in Chicago and the outfield train slowly moving up.

3B John Kane (B San Jose Cougars): The 23-year-old was just named UMVA Player of the Year despite winning just 3 first place votes. His 80 total points edged Phiadelphia Cannon minor league SP Chuck Robison's 78 points despite Robison earning 4 first place votes. For the La Crosse Lions, Kane hit .300/.425/.413 (146 OPS+) with 2 homers, 8 steals, and 67 RBI's in 514 plate appearances to go with a +4.4 ZR at the hot corner. An 11th Round Pick from the College of San Diego Friars, Kane doesn't rank in our top 30 prospects and isn't even considered one of our top 3 third base prospects despite not having a single one in our top 30.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #38
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 23: September 23rd-September 29th

September 28th, 1929
Cleveland Foresters ((61-87): 2
Chicago Cougars (59-89): 12

W: Dick Lyons (16-12)
L: Harvey Tully (1-8)

We destroyed our competition for the #1 pick with our first of just two games this week. John Dibblee was 3-for-4 with 2 triples, a run scored, and 2 RBI's. Fred Barrell was 2-for-3 with a hit by pitch, walk, homer, 2 runs, and 4 RBI's. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with 2 runs and an RBI. Luke Nixon was 1-for-3 with a sac-fly, walk, steal, and 2 runs scored. Harry Simmons was 1-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. Dick Lyons tossed 8.1 innings with 10 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, and 7 strikeouts.

September 29th, 1929
Cleveland Foresters ((61-88): 2
Chicago Cougars (60-89): 4

W: Cotton Taylor (7-10)
L: Eddie Gray (6-9)
SV: Ace McSherry (18)

We finished the two game sweep with a 4-2 victory before two more days off. Cotton Taylor had a solid start, 8 innings with 9 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Luke Nixon was 2-for-3 with a double, 2 runs, a walk, and RBI. Mike Smith was 2-for-2 with 2 walks and an RBI. Vince York was 2-for-4 with a double and 2 runs scored. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with a hit by pitch and 2 RBI's.

Stars of the Week
Fred Barrell : 6 AB, 3 H, 1 HR, 6 RBI, .500 AVG, 1.667 OPS
Cotton Taylor : 1 Win, 8.0 IP, 3 BB, 2 K, 2.25 ERA
Dick Lyons : 1 Win, 8.1 IP, 2 BB, 7 K, 2.16 ERA

Looking Ahead
I must have forgot to export last sim, so none of my changes went through. Either way, this is the last sim for us this season as we finish with four in Cleveland (61-88) and one more with the Sailors (101-50). I'm definitely afraid we are going to lose the #1 pick, but I'm not afraid to trade up to get it if I have to.

Speaking of the draft, the top three prospects seem to be SP/1B Tom Barrell, SP/INF/OF Chick Stout, and RF Vic Crawford. Unfortunately for me, I only want one of them. That would be Barrell, who my scout actually likes, as opposed to Stout (who thinks he sucks) and Crawford (who thinks he's alright).

A rare four year player, Tom Barrell finished his college career 34-8 with a 2.54 ERA (186 ERA+), 0.97 WHIP, and 489 strikeouts in 425 innings pitched. No college player has more wins, innings pitched, or accumulated WAR then Barrell, who also hit .263/.342/.539 (125 OPS+) with 26 homers and 86 RBI's.

Stout, on the other hand, just finished the best single season pitching performance in college history, going 11-1 with a 1.30 ERA (350 ERA+), 0.77 WHIP, and 141 strikeouts in 117.1 innings. His career numbers sit at 23-5 with a 1.82 ERA (273 ERA+), 0.91 WHIP, and 310 strikeouts. He can play the field too, but he isn't much of a hitter (.236/.349/.330, 86 OPS+). My scout doesn't think he can start in the majors which is concerning to me.

Lastly, Vic Crawford finished his college career with a .366/.462/.808 (231 OPS+) batting line to go with 67 homers and 187 RBI's. He's a decent fielder out in right, but I have so many outfielders that I don't really know what to do with them. Even then, he hit 31 homers and dove in 85 runs in just 51 games, which is absolutely insane. I think my scout is absolutely crazy for not dubbing him a future superstar, but I really don't think I'd even consider drafting him. With the full pool not yet published, I may have a lot of work finding who to take if my pick falls from 1st to 3rd.

Injury Report
Charley O'Hare still isn't healthy, so he'll head to the DL and Joe Foley will come off the DL to replace him.

Transactions
For real this time, 3B Ben Hathaway, LF Juan Valquez, RP Ed Woodward, and SP Benny Walker will join the active roster.

Retirements
SP Ike Wetzel: The 42-year-old made his big league debut in 1907 with the Cougars, and spent time with the Gothams and Foresters before ending his big league career in 1926 with us again. In his 11 seasons with the Gothams, his ERA was below three nine times. In 621 big league games composed of 551 starts and 4,754 career innings, he was 277-235 with a 3.06 ERA (106 ERA+), 1.28 WHIP, and 1,850 strikeouts. With Lincoln this season, he was 4-4 with 21 saves, a 2.54 ERA (174 ERA+) and 1.15 WHIP in 106.1 innings while serving as a mentor for the younger guys. If he decides to pursue coaching, we'd definitely be interested in adding him to our staff.

3B Cliff Everett: The 36-year-old was a big leaguer from 1916-1927 with the Dynamos and us. Other then a great 1918 season with the Dynamos, he was never really much more then an average hitter. He finished his career with a .292/.330/.384 (105 OPS+) line to go with 21 homers and 573 RBI's. He split this season with A Lincoln and AA Mobile, but was pitiful when he came to the plate.

3B Jack Peal: The 36-year-old spent his whole big league career in Chicago, where he hit .292/.339/.364 with 13 homers, 21 steals, and 424 RBI's from 1916-1926. He spent most of the season in San Jose, hitting just .264/.320/.319 (62 OPS+) with a homer, steal, and 31 RBI's in 345 at bats. He was a 4th Round selection by the Cougars in 1914 and actually went to the same school as Tom Barrell.

SS Mose Peters: The 33-year-old never played in the majors for the Cougars, but spent 1921-1924 (and 1 game in 1925) with the New York Stars. He hit .258/.316/.336 (80 OPS+) with 23 RBI's in just 328 plate appearances. A 5th Round Pick in 1917 by the Stars, Peters split time between Lincoln, Mobile, and Milwaukee this season.

SP Lew Dresbach: A 7th Round Pick of ours in 1912, Dresbach made one big league start in 1917 and the 8 starts and 1 relief appearance in 1918. He spent the rest of his professional career in our minor league system. In the FABL, he was 4-4 with a 3.73 ERA (80 ERA+), 1.60 WHIP, and 31 strikeouts in 72.1 innings. At 37 with San Jose, he had a 7.52 ERA (62 ERA+) and 2.01 WHIP in 52.2 innings out of the pen.

1B Max Morrow: An 18th Round Pick by the Stars in 1923, Morrow was released right after the draft. He joined our system in 1925 and spent the whole time in the minors before retiring at just 27. He only managed 2 at bats in AA or higher, but played very sparingly in his 5 seasons with us. In 72 games with the San Jose Cougars this year, he made just 1 start and only took 49 trips to the plate.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #39
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 24: September 30th-October 6th

October 2nd, 1929
Chicago Cougars (60-90): 4
Cleveland Foresters (62-88): 5
11 Innings

W: Max Wilder (13-14)
L: Chick Meehan (1-6)

We started our last full series with a 5-4 loss in extra innings. Bill Ashbaugh hit his 20th homer of the season, 3-for-5 with 2 runs and 2 RBI's. John Dibblee was 2-for-5 with a double and run scored. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a run scored. Luke Nixon and Art Panko were both 1-for-4 with a sac-bunt. Gus Cain went 7.1 innings with 7 hits, 4 runs, 3 walks, and 4 strikeouts in his last start of the season.

October 3rd, 1929
Chicago Cougars (60-91): 5
Cleveland Foresters (63-88): 11

W: Max Wilder (13-14)
L: Chick Meehan (1-6)

We more or less clinched the #1 pick of the draft as the Foresters handled us 11-5. Bill Ashbaugh went 4-for-5 with a double, homer, and 2 RBI's. Art Panko was 3-for-5 with an RBI. John Dibblee was 2-for-4 with a double, 2 runs, RBI, and walk. Dick Fessel was 1-for-3 with a walk. Slick Hostetter was 1-for-4 with a run scored. Milt Nelson had another rough start, 5 innings with 11 hits, 7 runs, 3 walks, and 4 strikeouts. Ray Powell allowed 4 unearned runs with 2 walks and 3 hits in 2 innings.

October 4th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (61-91): 6
Cleveland Foresters (63-89): 0

W: Dick Kadlec (7-12)
L: Eddie Gray (6-10)

Dick Kadlec had a wonderful start to end the season, as he tossed a 3-hit shutout with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts. He was also 1-for-3 with a sac-bunt. Bill Ashbaugh hit his third homer in three days, going 1-for-4 with a walk, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. George Jordan was 3-for-5 with 2 doubles, 3 RBI's, and a run scored. Vince York was 3-for-5 with a run scored. Luke Nixon was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored. Mack Deal was 1-for-4 with a walk and RBI.

October 5th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (62-91): 10
Cleveland Foresters (63-90): 2

W: Ben Curtin (3-4)
L: Harvey Tully (1-9)

The offense came to life and we crushed the Foresters 10-2 to leave Cleveland with a split. Bill Ashbaugh finished the series with a homer in each game, this time going 2-for-5 with 2 runs and 3 RBI's. John Dibblee was 3-for-4 with a homer, 2 runs, and 4 RBI's. Luke Nixon was 2-for-2 with a homer, 2 runs, a walk, and hit by pitch. Fred Barrell was 1-for-3 with two walks and an RBI. Ben Curtin pitched well, allowing 4 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), and 6 walks with 2 strikeouts in the complete game effort and was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored at the plate.

October 5th, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (103-51): 1
Chicago Cougars (62-92): 6

W: Johnny Davis (16-14)
L: Dick Lyons (16-13)

We ended the season as we started it, with a loss to the Philadelphia Sailors. Dick Lyons reached his career high in starts with 34, but allowed 10 hits, 5 runs (4 earned), and 2 walks with a single strikeout. He was also 1-for-2 with a run scored. Ed Woodward allowed 3 hits, a run, and a walk in 1.2 innings. Charlie Gamble was 1-for-3 with a double. Tom Rogers was 1-for-4 with an RBI.

Stars of the Week
Bill Ashbaugh : 19 AB, 10 H, 4 HR, 9 RBI, .526 AVG, 1.761 OPS
John Dibblee : 13 AB, 7 H, 1 HR, 5 RBI, .538 AVG, 1.495 OPS
Dick Kadlec : 1 Win, 9.0 IP, 2 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA

Looking Ahead
The Philadelphia Sailors (103-51) of the Continental Association and the Detroit Dynamos (91-63) of the Federal Association will square off in the 1929 World Series. Philadelphia is the defending champions, and will look for their 4th Title in franchise history. Before last season, however, they had a playoff drought dating all the way back to 1897 when they won their 2nd championship. Detroit will be looking for their 5th championship, and their last playoff appearance came in 1919 where they won their third title in four years. Both teams have serious star power and it should be an excellent postseason match-up. Neither team has a former player of mine.

We are also unofficially on the clock with the first pick of the 1929 draft. My goal is to never finish as bad as we did this season (62-92) and slowly work our way up in the Continental Association. I really need a good draft, as it seems last year's was a miss with just C Ben Richardson (17th) and SP Mike Murphy (27th) ranking in our top 30 prospect list. We will be selecting SP/1B Tom Barrell with the first pick in the draft, but what is more important is finding quality players in the other rounds. With two second round picks, we have the chance to add an extra high upside pick. I'm hoping all the scouting I did throughout the season will pay dividends with a strong draft class.

During the offseason I will likely make both additions and subtractions trying to make the Cougars a more competitive team. The biggest goal is to find reliable starting pitching which is a rarity in this league. I like Dick Lyons, but I think he's more of a #2 or #3 then an ace. There were times when Dick Kadlec looked like the same type of pitcher, but he was just terrible in July and August. He have four open rotation spots with at least 8 guys competing, but I will have to add some out of the organization. I will also have to remedy the outfield situation, with George Jordan, Vince York, Bob McCarty, John Dibblee, Dick Fessel, Mike Smith, Art Panko, and Johnny Johnson all fighting for spots. I'd love to find a taker for Panko, but it doesn't look as if anyone would want him. Another big position to deal with is second base. Bill Ashbaugh is easily our best hitter, but he was awful defensively and may end up moving to first. This would be tough for Luke Nixon who looks like a dependable big leaguer in his own right. I'm hoping for a busy offseason as we look to emerge from the basement.

As a team, we somehow finished 1929 with the best batting average in the CA (.302) and least strikeouts (128) while stealing the most bases (128). Of course, the pitching was pitiful as we finished 7th or 8th in every pitching category (except bullpen ERA) and we had the worst defense in the entire league. I'll blame the defense on Ashbaugh (-16.7) and Dibblee (-9.9) at first, as most of our starters were positive or around zero. I do like that our best month was a September of 10-12 which should be signs of better things to come.

I've also attached end of the season totals for all our players. Next season, I'll likely include this at the end of each month or at least every other month:
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 02-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #40
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Breaking News!

While not official, rumors are rumbling that the two worst teams in the Continental Association have agreed on a six player trade that will occur after the conclusion of the 1929 World Series. The Chicago Cougars are in a verbal agreement to acquire SP Max Wilder and SS Russ Combs from the Cleveland Foresters for 1B Luke Nixon, SP Harry Parker, SS Pat Schuring, and C Ben Richardson.

Wilder, 32, has seen his name in trade rumors multiple times the last few seasons as Chicago will be his fourth stop in three seasons. Originally the 10th Overall Pick in 1916 by the Baltimore Clippers, he debuted for the Cannons in 1921. He was then claimed off waivers by Montreal during the 1927 season. The move paid off for the Saints, who then flipped him to Cleveland the next season with CF Frank Mosley and 1B Gene Hand for CF Felix Bradford, SS Ernie Herndon, and a 2nd Round Pick. He put together a solid season in his only year with the Foresters, going 14-14 with a 3.97 ERA (113 ERA+), 1.31 WHIP, and 106 strikeouts in 242.2 innings. For his career, he's 89-78 with a 3.71 ERA (117 ERA+), 1.31 WHIP, and 598 strikeouts in 1,542 big league innings. He gives the Cougars a dependable arm behind Dick Lyons while the rest of the rotation is a big question mark.

Combs, 25, was a Rule-5 Pick from St. Louis in the 1927 offseason draft. He was a 2nd Round Pick of St. Louis' in 1922, but burst on to the scene in the 1928 season with Cleveland. He hit .293/.353/.473 (131 OPS+) with 16 homers, 30 steals, and 79 RBI's in 625 trips to the plate. The past season was a little bit of a let down and he hit just .289/.345/.427 (95 OPS+) with 7 homers, 32 steals, and 59 RBI's. He was an excellent fielder in the minor leagues, but has been about average in the FABL. The Cougars are betting on him regaining his 1928 form, but the addition of Combs allows Harry Simmons to shift back to third and Mack Deal take a crack at second base.

Nixon, 25, was an 11th Round Pick of the Cougars back in 1925. He took the starting first base job this season, and hit .328/.375/.467 (104 OPS+) with 5 homers, 11 steals, and 51 RBI's. With Bill Ashbaugh's struggles defensively at second and a desire to move his bat to first, Nixon became expendable for Chicago. He is too good of a bat to sit on the bench of rot away in AAA, so at least now he will be given a chance to start with the Foresters.

Parker, 20, was a 23rd Round Pick in 1927, but he's overachieved since starting organized baseball. His velocity is up to 92-94 and he added a sinker to his arsenal. He spent most of his time with Class B San Jose, going 6-5 with a 4.01 ERA (116 ERA+), 1.36 WHIP, and 37 strikeouts in 103.1 innings spanning 17 starts before a call up to A Lincoln. He was a perfect 2-0 in 3 starts with a 2.89 ERA (152 ERA+), 1.18 WHIP, and 5 strikeouts in 18.2 innings with the Legislators.

Schuring, 22, was a 2nd Round Pick by the Stars in the 1925 draft. They sent him and CF Bob McCarty to the Cougars in 1927 for RP Phil English, RP Bert Houston, and CF Bob Worley. The slick fielding Schuring ranks 12th in the Cougars system and 130th in the entire FABL. In about 1,000 innings at short this year, Schuring earned a +10.4 ZR and an efficiency rate over 1.050. His bat isn't quite there yet, but he's a smart hitter who draw a ton of walks. With Clyde Hinzman and Slim Bloom, the Cougars #3 and #4 prospects, much closer to being major league ready, Schuring would have had trouble breaking the active roster in Chicago.

Richardson, 19, was a 15th Round Pick by the Cougars in the 1927 draft. Checking in at 17th in the Cougars top 30 prospects, he's the best catching prospect in their organization now that Fred Barrell has graduated. But due to Barrell, the Cougars have their catcher of the future and Richardson was expendable. He had an excellent season in Class C La Crosse, hitting .292/.345/.411 (122 OPS+) with 4 homers and 41 RBI's in 283 plate appearances.

Neither team would comment when asked on the potential trade, however, it is widely expected to be announced after the conclusion of the World Series.