Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 03-10-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
RunningMonk
Bat Boy

historical transactions question

so i've been setting up some templates for some games i want to play, but i've run into some problems.

i have things set to retire players according to history, but there are times when a player doesn't have anymore stats, so the game considers him retired. more often than not, this wouldn't matter much, as they're usually low rating players, but sometimes it'd be nice to have that guy on a team.

is there any way to circumvent this without me having to simulate the season to catch the players, and then manually assigning them when i restart the season? it's become a pain. especially when a player say, plays for SLN is 69, has no stats afterwards, so he's considered retired, but he was still under contract with SLN is 70, and then in 71 traded to PIT. the way i'm doing things now, i'd catch the 71 trade and assign him to SLN, but i've missed 70! so i have to start a new game, load the template for 70, and assign him to SLN there as well. add all the players that this happens to and it becomes a daunting task. lots of loading and reloading and new games and templates and saving and erasing (i'm attempting to have templates for 1956-2013).

in my mind, the best option would be if "retired" meant "no more stats AND no more transactions in the database".

another problem i've run into is i reset injuries at the end of each season, so that i can load any year for the templates i've made always have the full(er) rosters, is missing a player that had a career ending injury, and so was released by his team. poor fergie jenkins wasn't pitching for years! if injuries are rest the player just floats around as a FA, which is no good with historical transactions on. i figure there's no work around for this, i just have to be more vigilant.

things would be easier too if the database from the previous year stuck around into the next, but i guess that's not the important bit here.

anyway, i hope i've explained my problem fairly well enough. if not, i can clarify. i haven't looked into ootp 14 or 15, but maybe if this is fixed in those, i'll pick one up. otherwise, does anyone have any advice on this one? a different database of some sort? a setting i overlooked? any help would be appreciated. thanks!
RunningMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if this applies to your issue or not, but it could be that using the historical transactions file from OOTP version 12 might solve your problem. Check out this thread - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...e-problem.html (and possibly check out the two threads that are linked to in the first post of that thread).
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:52 AM   #3
RunningMonk
Bat Boy

thanks! that does help!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
RunningMonk
Bat Boy

hm... turns out it doesn't help like i though it did. played the marlins from the inception and had the same problems.

here's an example of my problem. i start a league in 1955. historical transactions. i tried retire according to history on and off. i uncheck players miss seasons according to history.

the player tom umphlett only played in the majors up to 1955. so when he's traded to the red sox in the post season of '55, it says he's already retired. and when he's traded to the yankees in '62, he's been retired since '55. and from '64-'67 he was in the twins minor leagues too.

looking at the master database file, it says his last year playing WAS '67. so it seems that he should not retire when i look at the database.

is there a way to prevent players from retiring when they still have transactions coming up?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningMonk View Post
is there a way to prevent players from retiring when they still have transactions coming up?
To answer that specific question, I would say no. However, I think the issue may be that you are using the historical transactions file that comes with OOTP13. If you instead use the one that comes with OOTP12, you should be ok... At least that's what I have found.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, although you may be playing with RAH off, if OOTP determines that the player sucks, it may retire him anyway. So check some other players who fit the same general scenario and see if they are still hanging around.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
RunningMonk
Bat Boy

thanks for the follow up.

i had this problem with the v12 and the v13 databases. they seemed just slightly different.

i play with RAH on, but i tried it with it off to see if it made a difference, and it did not.

so it seems the only way to ensure that all players that shouldn't be retired aren't retired is to check transactions and free agents after going through the season, making note of the players, and then make a world template from the beginning of the year.

i've never tried this, but if i made corrected templates for 1956-on would i be able to play career style? i'd have to load the template at the beginning of every year, so it seems that wouldn't work.

Last edited by RunningMonk; 04-10-2014 at 11:59 AM.