Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 10-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
MarkJ
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Pacific Coast League 1941

I am attempting to simulate the 1941 Pacific Coast League. Perhaps there are more straightforward ways of doing this, but I created a fictional league, renamed all the teams, did some editing to get the ballpark names and dimensions as correct as possible, and started staffing the teams.

I got the complete rosters from Baseballreference.com which also gives me fairly complete basic statistics to build from. Where I might have given myself more work than is necessary is how I got the players. I imported a large list of fictional players (and since I didn't write it down, I can't remember what file I imported). I started taking random players and changing the details to match a real PCL player (for example, I might have taken the fictional catcher Leland Abbot and use the editor page to change him into the real-life catcher Bob Collins of the Seattle Rainiers. I would enter the 1941 AB, H, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, HPB, and K statistics into the editor and click on create current ratings based on stats (and potential). Then I'd assign the player to whatever team I was working on.

Aside from whether changing the statistics actually works for changing the player ratings (more on this later), is there a better way to stock the teams? Most of the players in the 1941 PCL also played in the majors at one time or another; is there an easy way to import them into my fictional league so I won't have to edit so many names, and can use the (presumably accurate) fielding ratings without having to try to guess on so many players? I hope this makes sense!
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Spritze DB should have many of the PCL players.
Use his master,cvs, batting & pitching .cvs to locate the players you want and use his DB to mass import them using a text/notepad file.

Also Gambo's .PRK file has almost every stadium known to man and its factors/dimensions. It's on ootpmods.com

For missing players i would say create a replacement type player .220 3 HR min speed and clone him several times. a scrub pitcher with a 1 STA to fill out the pen.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
MarkJ
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks--once I figure out a bit more of how the program works (and have a bit more time!) I'll give this a shot.

I might have to start over, but that's part of the learning process I guess!

Mark
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
MarkJ
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Beta Test of 1941 Season

I just finished a test run of my 1941 Pacific Coast League re-creation. I got some expected results (the Seattle Rainiers won the regular season with a 107-72 record (real life 104-70). However, the Los Angeles Angels finished second at 100-74 vs. the real life finish of 7th at 72-98. The Angels prevailed six games to two in the simulated championship series.

Other oddities--Dan Gutteridge of Sacramento (real life .309, 13 HR, 88 RBI) had a monster season, batting .458 with 356 hits, 47 homers, and 189 RBI. Somehow on the editor page I input the data wrong, or it got changed somehow as his "resulting stats" line shows he should hit 60 home runs and bat .440.

Paul Gregory of the Rainiers struck out only 20 batters in 307 innings pitched--it should have been more like 87 strikeouts. He wasn't a real-life strikeout threat but this was a bit low by any standards.

Jesse Flores of the Angels was an incredible 49-28 (12-15 in the real 1941), pitching an incredible 706 innings. Turns out I forgot to set pitching rotations for several teams, and as I had turned off injuries and reset everyone's fatigue before making the test Quick Start, the computer apparently just used the same pitchers over and over again because they never got tired. Flores started 78 games.

So--some things to fix, and lessons learned for my next simulation.