Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Ideas for new Rookie Draft Options

Hey guys,

I think for historical leagues it would be nice to have a couple new options for the rookie draft to give more variety.

A. Random Draft Order Each Round - this way the worst teams won't necessarily pick first and the worst pick last each round. This way you could have a great team and sometimes still end up with a top pick in the draft.

I feel that when I play I usually end up witha decent record each season and end up drafting in the middle of the pack and I tend to miss out on getting great players like Cobb, Ruth, T. Williams, etc.

B. Randomly Assign Rookies - this option would have the CPU randomly assign the rookies each season to teams but distribute the pitchers/position players evenly. First the cpu would assign a SP to each team, and when those run out it would go on to RP's, then catchers, then middle infielders, then corner infielders, then OF'ers. I think it would have to be done by position like this, otherwise there'd be the potential for teams to run out of pitchers or end up with pitching staffs with no legitimate SP's, wich would not be good for the sim.

I think this would also be a fun way to play since you would not know who you are going to get each season. Sometimes you'd end up with a bad crop of rookies and sometimes you'd end up with a couple of HOF'ers. In 1951 you could end up with Mays AND Mantle. In 1986 you could end up with Bonds AND McGwire, or maybe Maddux AND K. Brown. In 2007 you could wind up with Braun AND Votto.

What do you guys think?
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You can randomize the draft order each round now, albeit you have to do it manually.

I don't see this as something I'd use. I draft for my weaknesses/needs. The last thing I'd want is the AI "assigning" a position player to me when I already have a half dozen or so at that position in my minors. Plus, am I getting a player with some potential or just some scrub because the AI "had" to assign me SP and all the ones with potential were already gone. No thanks, I prefer to make my own decisions on what positions/players I want to draft.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Bluenoser - I think you are missing the point. It would be an option that would allow for a different way to play the game. It would introduce some randomness into things.

I don't think you'll ever half a half dozen players at each position in the minors if you play historicals with retire accoding to history enabled.

I propose this because I'd like to be able to build a great team that has combinations of players that you would not normally get with a traditional rookie draft mode. You'd never get Bonds and McGwire in the same draft otherwise.

Also, IRL teams had no idea what they'd be getting when they drafted players.

An option like this, coupled with the ability to trade for draft choices could be quite interesting and create new challenges and decisions when managing your team.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

If you want the draft options to follow those used in real life, the options available should be as follows:
  • Inverse order of standings without regard to (sub)league.
  • Inverse order of standings alternating by (sub)league.
  • Random order by halves, alternating by (sub)league.
  • Random order, alternating by (sub)league.
"Random order by halves" means the teams are divided into two groups. Each group, or half, alternates its position each year, so all the clubs in one group get to pick before the clubs in the other group. But within each group the order is randomly determined.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
Bluenoser - I think you are missing the point. It would be an option that would allow for a different way to play the game. It would introduce some randomness into things.

I don't think you'll ever half a half dozen players at each position in the minors if you play historicals with retire accoding to history enabled.

I propose this because I'd like to be able to build a great team that has combinations of players that you would not normally get with a traditional rookie draft mode. You'd never get Bonds and McGwire in the same draft otherwise.

Also, IRL teams had no idea what they'd be getting when they drafted players.

An option like this, coupled with the ability to trade for draft choices could be quite interesting and create new challenges and decisions when managing your team.
No, not missing the point at all.

I'm pretty sure that at the end of your original post you asked what we thought.

I replied.

Oh, and irl, teams went into the draft with an idea of what they were getting when they drafted. It wasn't "blind". If that was the case, why not just throw all the draftees names into a hat and draw them out one at a time - "here you go, this who you're drafting." "Don't like it? Too bad."

Like I said, it wouldn't interest me at all, especially part two. I prefer to draft based on my needs.

Also, you said nothing about "retire according to history" in your original post, but that doesn't matter. It's quite easy to become over stocked with players at a certain position, historical or not.

I'm not "crapping" on your idea. If you think it's something that should be in the game, then by all means, lobby for it. I'm just giving you the feedback you asked for. It is not something that would interest me at all.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

I accomplish the stuff Garlon outlines by not having ANY draft. I just go toe to toe with the other owner/gms and may the biggest checkbook win!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Bluenoser - IRL teams pick like 50 guys, most of whom never make it to the big leagues. In OOTP historicals you ONLY get big leaguers. Hindsight is 20/20, HOF'ers don't slip to the second round in OOTP - and they shouldn't in a normal draft. We made it so the AI would be good at selecting players. In fact with the pretermined draft values - at least the original ones we made - I think the AI was better than any human.

I'd just like some variety with it.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues

I like Garlon's idea. However, one can check the trade draft picks box and trade for a certain draft position each draft if they can get the AI to do it.
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote