Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
brewdog
Minors (Triple A)

About my current franchise

I'm playing a historicalish franchise using the Tigers. I started in 1985 and am now in 2001. Alan Trammell in now 43 and just broke the 3000 hit barrier.

Okay lets back up a little bit... When I play historical I enjoy more of a historical-fictional hybrid with recalc turned off I let the OOTP engine do its work with player development and such. So in this particular case Player Development, Aging, and Talent Change Randomness are at their defaults. Also scouting is on (Create and maintain hidden players on) and draft is off along with reserve clause era rules. This gives me a unique experience each time.

Back to Trammell... He was going into 2001 only 65 hits short of the magical 3000 and my manager, Bob Welch, wants to keep him in a bench role. Um, no, he's playing until he gets to that milestone, Bob. Anyways, mostly I just sim it out and make small adjustments as I see fit.
At 2998 we have two games versus Seattle... Trammell goes 1 for 4 leaving him 1 hit shy. Next game he drops 0 for 4.. On the road to Boston we go. Bottom of the 2nd Gil Meche on the Mound for the Sox 1-2 count Tramm grounds out to short, Bottom of the 5th ground out to second. That brings us to the bottom of the 7th Meche still pitching Trammell steps in with 1 out and Frank Catalanotto on 2nd base and on a full count Alan slaps a single to right scoring Frank and entering the record books as a 3000 hitter. But this part gets me the game announcer has nothing to say about this, what I'd consider to be, a historic event. Sigh, oh well.
Currently Trammell is batting .270 has 7 HR and 24 RBI through 81 games so I'm considering leaving him in the lineup until he breaks.

Ok so time for some comparison between real life and my semi historical game.

Jack Morris played until he was 38 and retired in 1993.
Real 254-186 record 3.90 ERA
Sim 238-213 , 3.82 ERA

Mike Henneman joined the club in 1987 and in 1999 was released into free agency
Real 193 saves 3.21 ERA 561 Games
Sim 329 saves 2.86 ERA 719 Games

And one that never happened for me before
Jim Weaver who played for Detroit, Seattle, and San Francisco From 1985-1989 compiled a total of 31 career at bats but in my sim I recieved a pleasant surprise. Weaver was a regular starter for me from 1987-1994 amassing over 1000 hits and 4000 at bats... Meh, not a great career but getting 8 years of service from I guy I'd only expect to use as injury filler is a nice surprise.

Another interesting thing that took place: For the first 10 years of the league the American League Champion won the World Series. Until the Mets won back-to-back-to-back championsips in 1995-1997.

I guess what I'm saying is OOTP is like a box of chocolates......
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Great stuff. Your mode of play is an alternate reality. Many of the players will be similar, some will not. You won't know which path a particular player will take, so trades and free agent signings have more risk associated with them than normal historical. It sounds like a fun mode.

P.S. Congrats to Alan! I always liked him and Whitaker. How did Lou do?

Last edited by Orcin; 03-13-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Orcin beat me to it, I too was wondering how Whitaker did. I never thought I would enjoy playing with recalc off, but I am loving it. I started in 1906 and I'm now halfway through the 1929 season. I too am managing the Tigers. So far the 3000 hit club includes Eddie Collins, Tris Speaker, Ty Cobb and Shoeless Joe Jackson. Jackson passed Eddie Collins last season to become the all-time hits leader and became the first player to reach 3300 hits in July of 29.

The strange thing is, not a single NL player has reached 3000 hits. In fact, all of the statistical categories are dominated by the AL.

The Philadelphia Athletics have dominated things so far. They have 13 post season appearances, winning the title 8 times. Pittsburgh finally beat them in 1928, ending a streak of 5 straight titles.

The Yankees have the worst overall record. However, they are leading the AL halfway through the 29 season.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
brewdog
Minors (Triple A)

Whitaker finished with a .259 average (1975 for 7640) 183 HR and 890 RBI's... He retired at age 40 in 1997 His career was comparable to his Real life counterpart yet the numbers were slightly lower possibly due to being replaced/outplayed buy the fictional internationally scouted players.

Here in a few more seasons I'll look up some of the other great modern ballplayers and see how they fared.

Congratulations on Jackson's career... He was a great ballplayer alot of them guys were considering the ball they played with most their careers.