Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 09-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Henry
Hall of Fame

Pacific Coast League, 1903-1957

The next post will be a report on the first six weeks of the 1903 PCL-Replay season. I plan to play this out till 1957 at which point my hope is to merge the PCL with the MLB for the 1958 season. I hope you follow and enjoy my adventure.

PREFACE

After a long winter battling the rival Pacific Northwest League, the first Pacific Coast League season began, as scheduled, in March, 1903.

Ed Pabst, who had come West after having started his career in the South, hit the first home run that season (and the first PCL HR ever) off of Ike Butler of Portland in San Francisco's Recreation Park the first day of the season. It also turned out to be Pabst's only Coast League home run.

Rain swept the Pacific slope that first week of the season, but that didn't stop the Los Angeles Looloos from sweeping the Portland Browns. L. A. went on to win its first 15 straight games under Manager Cap Dillon; Portland, after getting beat up in Los Angeles, did not stop until they had lost their first twelve games.

Looking over the league, this is how the teams stacked up at the beginning of the season:

Oakland: This club had won the pennant the year before, and on paper looked much better in the eyes of Manager Pete Lohman. Lohman and owner Cal Ewing thought they could get away with another pennant on the cheap. The team lost most of its infield, and never really had a solid middle infield until late in the season. Its top three pitchers had also been lost.

Los Angeles was solid at every position. As far as fielding was concerned, the Looloos sported gold glovers at almost every position. Owner Jim Morley also greatly improved the pitching by importing Doc Newton from the East, and signing Joe Corbett. Los Angeles also figured to be better off because they didn't have the disruptive influence of Rube Waddell.

San Francisco had a star pitcher in Jimmy "The Whale" Whalen, and also solid players at four positions. Whalen was the star pitcher on the West Coast around the turn of the century, winning thirty games the previous two seasons. Three of the new position players figured to be an improvement over those they replaced. Charlie Irwin became the new captain, which really meant field manager in those days, and the team's third baseman, who would wind up as one of his team's best hitters. Irwin had finished up a 10 year major league career (.267 AVG mainly with Chicago and Cincinnati) the year before with the Brooklyn Superbas.

Sacramento returned all of its position players, the only problem with that was that Sacramento finished 33 games off the pace in 1902, and in dead last place. Included in that group is the player considered to be one of the best fielding second basemen in the history of the Pacific Coast League, Pearl Casey. Casey, whose real last name was actually Barnes, blossomed during the 1903 season. He would go on to lead Coast League second basemen in fielding average five times out of the six years he played a full season. Casey's range was either the best or right near the top every year he played. Pearl Casey never would be much of a hitter, but in 1903 he did have a fine season, hitting .288 by far his best season ever. After his playing career ended, he spent over 20 years as an umpire. The star of the team, however, was Truck Eagan (pictured) the first PCL slugging star. In an era when home runs came all too rarely, Eagan put together back to back 21 and 25 HR years in 1904-5. Because he played shortstop, and was a fine hitter, many consider him the West Coast version of Honus Wagner. Years later one of his contemporaries, long-time Seals part-owner Charley Graham, told a beat reporter that Eagan "was a great hitter of the dead ball ...and I have often wished he could have batted against the extremely lively ball later." Eagan's heroics were offset by Mike Fisher-- universally considered the least competent owner/general manager in the league. Fisher spent no money on pitchers, instead deciding to bring in a raw "kiddy corps" to start the season. Win Cutter appeared to be his only experienced pitcher on the staff when the season opened, but he had only gone 13 and 24 in 1902. All in all, it looked like another long season in the Central Valley.

Portland retained the nucleus of its 1902 Pacific Northwest League club, but like Sacramento, it too had finished in the cellar of that league. Sammy Vigneaux remained at the helm, and management brought in a couple of heavy hitters, southern import Carlos Smith and Quebecer Phil Nadeau, to bolster established players like Deacon Van Buren and left-handed second baseman Andy Anderson. Reportedly, Carlos Smith came from a family of rich plantation owners, and played ball for diversion rather than for financial gain. Nadeau had played for a number of years in New England and New York, hitting over .300 seven times.

Seattle was a completely new team, built from the ground up by field manager Parke Wilson. Wilson also caught and played first. His .201 AVG showed that he was nearing the end of the trail as a player. The manager started playing in the old California League in 1892. The Seattle franchise had been placed in the city to compete with Dugdale's Pacific Northwest League outfit. Parke Wilson put an early team together that had been overly influenced by management. Lou Cohen even signed University of California football sensation John "Locomotive" Smith, but he proved to be a complete bust on the mound, pitching only 4 games and winding up with a 5.75 ERA. The team appeared to be an unknown quantity. It would take Wilson almost the whole year to get the group of players he wanted: Of the 44 players who appeared for Wilson that year, only two starters from the opening day line up would be with the club at the end of the season, Wilson himself and third baseman Henry Jansing.

NOTE: This replay of the PCL is possible due to the hard work of Cooleyvol and Spritze. Thanks guys
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Henry
Hall of Fame

PCL-MarchApril 1903

Test Run - voided

Last edited by Henry; 09-16-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Henry
Hall of Fame

PCL-May 1903

Test Run - voided

Last edited by Henry; 09-16-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Henry
Hall of Fame

Quick Update

3 months into the season I noticed a few inconsistencies with the new DB that I need to correct (this kind of stuff goes with the territory of experimentation). I'm currently working with Cooley and Spritze to iron them out. I will likely restart the league once the issues are resolved.

The good thing about this exercise (for those interested) is I will have a 1903 solo Quickstart with instructions once I get it right Bare with me.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Good stuff Henry, enjoying this and will look forward to the QS.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
Kronos
Major Leagues

Great stuff so far
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Henry
Hall of Fame

Update: 9/12/2011

As I continue to work out the final details for the PCL 1903-1957 Quickstart game, I wanted to publish a timeline for players to use (if they wish to try and follow the historical team configurations. The timeline provides all team moves, name changes, and historical playoff schedules.

Download table here.

Overview

NOTE: The Franchise 1-8 notations do not denote ownership, only a virtual organization of rosters.

The PCL started out with six teams in 1903. When the 1906 San Francisco earthquake occurred, financial pressures and a decrease in interested forced the league to reduce to 4 teams in 1907-08. (If reproducing this detail, I would release the rosters for Fresno and Seattle to the Free Agents list.)

In 1909, the league returned to 6 teams, and stayed so until 1919. (OOTPs expansion options can be used in 1909. The 1914 San Francisco Missions should become the 1915 Salt Lake City Bees, and the 1917 Portland Beavers should become the 1918 Sacramento Solons.)

In 1919, the PCL expanded to 8 teams. (Use OOTPs expansion option).

From that point forward, teams(rosters) would be moved as shown.

The SS column represents seasons where the Split Season option was used, and the GC column represents the year the Governor's Cup was used (top four teams made the playoffs.)

The #G column represents a fair estimation of the number of game to be played each season based on history.

Summary

Of course, all of this is open to your own wishes. I can't guarantee ANY change will work (since I have not tried everything) but I suspect most things will if your careful and make backups before you try anything too far out.

I'm getting close to finishing the Quickstart, so with any kind of luck should have it posted in the near future.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Henry:

You may want to look at this file I created some years back. It traces PCL history from its inception in 1903 up through the 2004 season. For each year it includes the following information: a listing of the teams, Major League affiliations, the schedule length, playoff format used, changes to the league structure (i.e. teams folding, realignment, etc.), along with related notes where appropriate.

In short, pretty much all the league-level details one may be interested in.

It is in .rtf format (I put it together in Wordpad) and is contained in the attached .zip file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PCL_history.zip (6.6 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 09-12-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Henry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Henry:

You may want to look at this file I created some years back. It traces PCL history from its inception in 1903 up through the 2004 season. For each year it includes the following information: a listing of the teams, Major League affiliations, the schedule length, playoff format used, changes to the league structure (i.e. teams folding, realignment, etc.), along with related notes where appropriate.

In short, pretty much all the league-level details one may be interested in.

It is in .rtf format (I put it together in Wordpad) and is contained in the attached .zip file.
Thank you LG for the added info I will look it over AND include it in my quickstart package as your contribution if you like.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Henry
Hall of Fame

Ballparks long gone...

No, I don't have all the ballpark pictures of the 1903-1957 PCL. I do have a few, but many are long gone from memory as well as film. 30+ ballparks served PCL in those years, but so few photos, if even taken, survived.

From the very beginning of this project, I knew the ballparks would be a problem. Photos didn't exist and even creating representations would be both a guess and a massive undertaking.

I think I prefer to leave that project to someone else if they wish to accept the challenge - but what I HAVE done is made a pen and ink representation of Rickwood Field which dates back to 1910 and is a good sample of the type parks of the times. I'm attaching it here for anyone to grab if you wish, and will be using the picture as my default ballpark for all PCL home games. Once I get into a time period where other parks are available, I may suppliment what I use in the game.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
Thank you LG for the added info I will look it over AND include it in my quickstart package as your contribution if you like.
Feel free to use as much or as little of the info as you deem appropriate.

For anyone interested, I've got a similar history file covering the International League.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Henry
Hall of Fame

PCL Logos

Logos are a lot like ballparks - but a little easier. I did not attempt to find every logo for every PCL team for all 55 years. As with ballparks, some are lost to history and a few teams weren't around long enough to put much more than their city name on their uniforms, if anything.

I did, howver, go thru and pick real logos where I could and used time period representations for those I could not find. I also labeled them so they will be easy to use as the seasons progress if you wish to.

As with anything in a fictional world, however, your free to use whatever logos you like

Old 09-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Better to ask this in the database thread...

Last edited by AESP_pres; 09-13-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: as written in the message
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
Henry
Hall of Fame

Ok guys, here's the Quickstart!

There are three files...

PCL3.zip

Create a "PCL" folder in your "OOTP Baseball 12" folder and drop these contents into it. These are the files your game will use each season to bring up new players. Be sure your game is pointing to this directory RATHER than the "stats" directory.

PCL 1903-1957 QS

Create a "PCL 1903-1957 QS.quick" folder in your "quickstart_games" folder and drop these contents into it. This is your quickstart game which will show up in your game when complete.

PCL_Timeline.pdf

This file was posted previously above, but is linked again here.

All the game defaults are set to how I wish to play the game. In short, no fictional players, and no finances.

NOTE: This is not a PCL replay since there is no way to force rookies to their original teams (OOTP limitation). Rookies will enter as Free Agents and be signed by each team per the AI. The history that plays out here is alternate universe where all PCL rookies play out their careers in the PCL.

I can't end this post without once again thanking Cooleyvol and Spritze - the guys that did the REAL work

PS: Thanks also goes to Le Grande Orange who's PCL History file linked above provides a lot additional detail if you want to make your game unique. Thanks LGO!

Henry

Last edited by Henry; 09-17-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #15
Henry
Hall of Fame

The PCL begins...

Voided, continue below...

Last edited by Henry; 09-17-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
Henry
Hall of Fame

Couldn't help it - had to publish the first month!

I know I said one month every two weeks, but right now I'm into the league and want to share the results. Here are the April 9th, 1903 standings - 30 games into the season...

PCL-APR9-1903 <<== NEW !

Enjoy!

Last edited by Henry; 09-17-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #17
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
Opening day results for the new Pacific Coast League ...

Portland 10-14-3, Seattle 8-8-5
Player of the game - Harry Lumley (Seattle)
Sacramento 4-4-1, San Francisco 2-7-2
Player of the game - Bill Thomas (Sacramento)
Oakland 4-7-0, Los Angeles 0-3-0
Player of the game - Doc Moskiman (Oakland)

A few notable firsts...

First hit - Carlos Smith (Portland), Single in the 3rd inning
First run scored - Phil Nadeau (Portland), 1st inning
First Homerun - Bill O'Hara (Oakland), 3rd inning
First strikeout - Doc Andrews (Portland), 1st inning by Jack Hickey (Seattle)
First shutout - Doc Moskiman (Oakland), 9.0 inn, 3 hits, 1 bb, 3 Ks against LA

My season runs from March 9th to October 7th (7 months). My plan is to play out one seasonal month every two weeks, that will give me time to absorb whats happening and post interesting highlights here. I don't know if I can keep up that pace, but I will try. Hope you enjoy reading along.

By the way, I'm also looking forward to anyone else that plans on playing out the PCL Quickstart
Portland / Seattle - must have been "butter-fingers" day - 8 errors, wow.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
Henry
Hall of Fame

PCL-MAY9-1903 <<== NEW !

You have to check out what Portland did !

Last edited by Henry; 09-18-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
Henry
Hall of Fame

PCL-JUN9-1903 <<== NEW !

Last edited by Henry; 09-18-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
Henry
Hall of Fame

PCL-JUL9-1903 <<== NEW !

Last edited by Henry; 09-18-2011 at 07:09 PM.