Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 02-24-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Guide for running 19th Century Leagues

Guide to 19th century league play.

This guide is to help you setup and run a 19th century league using actual teams for that year. I have assumed that you are familiar with how ootp works and how to edit the database. If you are completely new to OOTP, i would suggest you read the manual, search and ask the forum for anything that you are not clear on how to do. This guide is designed for those who wish
players to import to the team that they first played for in real life. However if you wish to use a whatever happens scenario with the actual teams of that historical year, you can do that too.

To have players imported to their correct teams you must make some changes to the Lahman database that comes with the game.
The reason the game doesnt import the players to their teams is because the game uses the AL & NL abbreviations and thus doesnt recognize the American Association abbreviation of AA. I am hoping this could change in OOTPXI but i have no knowledge if it has. I do know that this is the case for OOTPX.

So to start you need to go to the Lahman database folder usually named "Stats" in the OOTP folder. Now open the Teams file and change all other league abbreviations to AL or NL. Keep in mind that in any year you wish to start your league you will need to have an even number of teams in both leagues even if you have to copy a team's line from another year. Just make sure
you change the year to your import year. You can delete the extra team once you start your league.It is merely to setup your league. After the league has been created the game will allow you to expand with an odd number of teams. You can even expand by only 1 team if you wish.
Also it is easier to delete all the teams and import the historical teams for the first league year rather than drafting them. But thats just for your first league year. After that players should go to their correct teams.

But before you create the league you need to perform the next step if you wish players to go to their correct teams. The next step is to open the batting, pitching, fielding csv files in the "Stats" folder. Again change all league abbreviations to AL or NL. Or else the game will not import players to their correct teams and you will need to run a amateur draft. I would suggest only having the American League and National League because i think the game has to use both the AL & NL abbreviations and may not work with only one of them. Which would lead to problems when you have separate leagues as you would have duplicate players.
Finally you must move the odb file or the game will use the expansion that comes with the game.

Now you are ready to create your league. You may be able to So create a fictional league of 2 leagues with 2 teams in each league. You should do this step for Go ahead and run your inaugural draft. Now go to Edit League structure and remove all teams. Next go to the Free Agents screen and delete all players. You will also need to go to to your saved gamed folder and
remove any history like the draft if you wish to have no history kept from the this point. Now go back to League structure and import the historical teams for your starting year into their appropriate league. Since we are starting in 1871 we will import all teams into the National League league.

League setup settings.

Now go to global setup and uncheck scoutings & coaching. I would also suggest not using suspensions till you feel you have enough players in your league. Also suggest setting injuries and fatigue to low if you are starting pre-1880. Changing them later when you feel you have enough players if a team has a rash of injury's on the DL. Now go to the "Rules"section and set
active roster size to 15-16 players. Set DL to between 7-10 days for now. Change it later when you feel league is ready. Uncheck Trading, Amateur Draft, and Finances.
Now go to "Options" and check retire players according to history. Turn off Expansion Draft. Set number of games per team to 80 so you can use Flommesse's historical schedule for 1871. You should also uncheck all-star game in the years you only have the National League active as the game will crash when it gets to the all-star game. Either disable the playoffs or use a custom playoff setting.
Finally go to "Strategy" and uncheck the adjust league totals in order to use SteveP method for getting good league totals for your first year. But before you run your test season you need to import Flommesse's historical schedule for 1871. I use the as played schedules. Now save your league and make a back up copy. Run your test season and get your league totals.
Copy and paste the original, enter your league totals and save a copy of the league again.

Now you should create a manager for each team. The reason is that you will need to be a manager of a team in order to sign a player. Since we are having players go to their actual teams i would suggest using historical managers. If you have more than one manager in a year just let them manged the amount of games they did in real life and then change managers. Just remember
these are managers in name only. I set change the team control settings under manager options to computer AI. Once you have a manager for all teams you want to sim to opening day and backup your league again.
Now we are ready to start simming and actually running the league. So open your league and sim to the day after the last scheduled game. Do not proceed to offseason. You need to set all teams to not allow AI roster changes or else the computer will sign players to the wrong teams. Now you should release all players that are not on that teams roster at the begining of the next year. For teams that have folded this is where the managers come in handy as you can go to that manager and find the folded team from there and release the players. You can not select manual awards with only one league. However the game will still pick most of the awards for you.

Next i retire players who did not play the next year. I use a retire list i made that lists each player that did not play that year. I created a unretire list which lists each player that came back in a year. So i know when a player was out for a year without having to research each year. These are 2 small excel files and i would be gald to share them if you wish to use them.
Now we can proceed to December 31st. At this point i fire all managers that did not manage their team at the beginning of the next year. Do not assign new managers yet as that will screw up the manager history. Save a copy of your league.

Next proceed to Jan 1st of the next year.This is the point at which i unretire players. Also assign or create managers for teams that need them. Do not worry about rosters at this point because the rookies wont show up to their appropriate teams until we sim to preseason.
So go ahead and sim to pre-season. Import the correct schedule sign players to their correct teams. If a player played for more than one i assign him to the team he played for first. I also let the player play the same amount of games for the first
team as in real life before trading him. I only mention this because some transactions do not have exact dates. In later years i think you can use the transaction data from Retrosheet. You should have the correct rosters as real life at this point. So sim to opening day and allow computer to make roster changes and sim your next season.
Repeat the process.

Last edited by BaseballMan; 04-16-2010 at 01:37 PM.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Thought about having a separate database for AA players but you would have to manually go through the master file because if not the players would be imported for both the NL and the AA if you have the leagues separate.
I think that might too much work.
Would help a lot if we could just use the different league abbreviations.
but nevertheless i do like the stats i have seen so far. Cap Anson is usually batting around .320-330. I can understand pitchers being a little off unless you make sure they dont end up on a team that only played 13 games in real life or on a team with 2 other starters in a 2 man rotation. That is if you use schedules as they were actually played.

I forgot about customized playoffs so that may have been the answer to my earlier problem. I am going to try and run a test league up to 1901.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Up to 1876. So far Anson's 162 game avg for hits is exactly the same as real life. 222. Avg is only .314 compared to .335 for real life. Dont know why but the custom playoffs has to be reset every year. Im sure its been answered on the boards but i havent had the chance to search yet. Anyways so far so good.
Spalding is top in wins with 68.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Made it all the way to 2009.
Cy Young led in wins with 406 and Nolan Ryan had over 5,000 strikeouts.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Noticed that the Baltimore Canaries of 1872 wont have any players imported for the 1872 season. I beleive this to be because all their players started their careers in 1871 and thus were already in the league. looks like this will have to be taken care of through a manual expansion draft.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Gonna start 2 leagues. One with trades as they happened in real life and the other how they happen in the game.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
GoCanes
Minors (Single A)

Thanx for the info BaseballMan,,,I have just one question/clarification. As long as I leave both leagues in place, even if there are no teams in one league, everything will move along with all franchise moves, expansions and contractions happening? Even for the years that there are odd number teams in a league? (That is after changing/deleting the AA, UA, PL and FL teams as needed and fixing the 1st season I want to start with an even number of teams and two leagues, so all teams import and then rearranging the teams as needed. I did understand that part :-)) I have tried something simular, but didn't even think about leaving the AL side devoid of teams in the years that there were no teams. Thanx again for the set-up directions/ideas!!!

Billy C
GoCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes View Post
Thanx for the info BaseballMan,,,I have just one question/clarification. As long as I leave both leagues in place, even if there are no teams in one league, everything will move along with all franchise moves, expansions and contractions happening? Even for the years that there are odd number teams in a league? (That is after changing/deleting the AA, UA, PL and FL teams as needed and fixing the 1st season I want to start with an even number of teams and two leagues, so all teams import and then rearranging the teams as needed. I did understand that part :-)) I have tried something simular, but didn't even think about leaving the AL side devoid of teams in the years that there were no teams. Thanx again for the set-up directions/ideas!!!

Billy C
Glad its helping someone. If anybody else has any ideas im sure we all would appreciate them. Just trying to get us guide because 19th century is not the same as simming a modern era sim.

As for your question i beleive they will move along but like i said you will need to check schedules and either disable playoffs or use custom playoffs when you only have 1 league full of teams.

It worked fine for me. The American League was inactive till the American Association years and then it went inactive again till 1901.
One thing though is that you should not change the UA, PL and FL teams
unless you actually want those teams. The players will still import. But i never considered the UA a legit pro league and you may end up with 2 many teams. But thats up to you.

Now there is a problem with expansion if you want rosters as they were in real life. Because i believe their were years in which teams were expansion teams with no rookie players they would have no players imported to their team. All their players came from teams that folded or the players were released. So you would have to do that your self in a league in which you are doing actual historical transactions. I just release the players at the end of the year and assign them to the team at the start of the next year.

If you dont care about actual trades then you should just need to make sure
your teams have enough players by adjusting the protection list and active roster. If you still have too many players on one team and not enough on the other you can always release a few players. However i simmed from 1871-2002 and i dont remember having to do that.

The odd number of teams should only prevent you from starting a league. After that you can delete and move teams and even if it is an odd number of teams it will still work. Though im not sure about fictional schedules. You may have to make those but i just use Flomess's. The as played works great
if you use actual rosters. Players play the same number of games as they did in real life. You get the sense of how professional baseball was developing back then.
Plus the stats are pretty good too. Get this i ran a test league and Levi Meyerle was the leader in batting avg with an avg of .492. The exact same average he had for 1871 in real life.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

If using real rosters you will need to make sure you check "dont allow ai to make roster changes" Or else it will sign the players you released even with trades and fiances off. Proceed to the next season and assign the players to their teams and then you can change it back to letting the ai make changes.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

well i guess the imported rookies dont go to their teams till preseason.
Another thing is that if a team folds and you have no expansion draft you have to release all the players or else they wont show up in the free agent list.

If im wrong on anything or if someone knows a better or quicker way the advice is always welcomed.
I know i can get through a season exactly as it was played using real rosters and proceed to the next season. Its just fine tuning everything and remembering what works and what doesnt and hopefully getting a step by step
guide.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
thehynes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

hi BaseballMan, have been reading your posts with interest. Thanks for all the info. I've just started up with OOTP again after a hiatus of a couple of years.
I've started a historical league in 1871 and intend on seeing how far I get with it - managing a team and playing every game. Previous experience of tinkering with teams,league settings etc on a historical sim has put me off so I've just accepted the OOTP version of history and will accept whatever teams it puts into the two leagues at whichever year.
The twist, there has to be a twist, that I'm having in this simulation is that if a player is from Philadelphia, for example, he can only play for a team from Philadelphia. If a player was born in Ohio he can only play for Cincinnati or Cleveland. If a player was born in a state without a team then he is eligible to play for a team from a neighbouring state. If there are no teams in neighbouring states or he was born abroad then he can play for anyone. I'll be interested to see how the balance of power shifts over time as new sources of baseball talent become available- in 1871 I've had to have Brooklyn & Philadelphia 'loan' players out to the other clubs as they havent got enough players - I should think I wont need to do that again after the 1872 influx of rookies.
Anyway, thanks again for your posts - it's good to share the knowledge!

edit - can you refresh my memory on something......at what date would the 1872 rookies appear in my game? I seem to remember a previous incarnation of OOTP that I played had them popping up in June or July or something like that. I would need them appearing before the season begins - any advice most gratefully received!

Last edited by thehynes; 03-12-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: remembered another point
thehynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

if you want players to retire when they did in real life you should have them drafted in dec before the next season. 1871 for 1872. They will be drafted a year earlier but will not start their career till the year they actually did.
If you do it in June it will be the year they came into the league in real life but they will retire one year later than they did in real life.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
thehynes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

ah right I see, thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
bubba22plus
All Star Reserve

I'll add on to this and say i know how to start odd team seasons with odd # of teams.

1: Do the first steps in BaseballMan's OP above. (Do NOT balance the leagues in Teams.csv)

2: Create a Fictional League starting in 1871. (or the year of your choosing)

3: Go into Commissioner Mode, and delete the league in Game Setup > League Setup.

4: Go to the Free Agents Screen, and Delete All Free Agents.

5: Go back to League Setup, and click Add League.

6: Click Create Historical League, and create the league of the year you want.

7: Your league should now be created and should look something like this:

Name:  Example.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  118.9 KB

Have Fun!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Good job Bubba. You can also import the historical teams if you dont want an inaugural draft and actual real rosters. However sometimes it doesnt work and i
havent figured that out yet.

Im going through the 19th century schedules and removing extra games in the as played schedules. It may not match the real life schedule exactly but imo if you are using real rosters then it is more important to have teams play the same amount of games so the players should get the same amount of playing time as in real life.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #16
thehynes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

hey, good one guys. I decided to scrap my 1871 season (15 games in) and start again with the real teams. More work but more fun!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 AM   #17
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I edited the guide to to hopefully make it a little better. Still if any other 19th century simmers have any ideas that could be added to the guide they would be great to hear.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #18
Nick Soulis
Hall Of Famer

Hi there and thanks for the info-

I have been simming a Chicago Cubs history since 1871 and was reading some of the great information on this thread. After the inagural draft i have not had a problem with lack of players on teams or rosters or with any bugs, after the 1871 season the default set the schedule to 60 games on its own, will this continue to change as the years go on or will I have to change it on my own?

Also I have a major question and concern. For the first couple of years I had the "allstar game" option enabled. You wrote in your opening post that the game would crash when the real all star game is played. If I have this option disabled from now on will I still have a problem?

Please let me know as I am putting in alot of time in this sim and dont want to crash as early as 1932.

Thanks for the general information
Nick Soulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Soulis View Post
Hi there and thanks for the info-

I have been simming a Chicago Cubs history since 1871 and was reading some of the great information on this thread. After the inagural draft i have not had a problem with lack of players on teams or rosters or with any bugs, after the 1871 season the default set the schedule to 60 games on its own, will this continue to change as the years go on or will I have to change it on my own?

Also I have a major question and concern. For the first couple of years I had the "allstar game" option enabled. You wrote in your opening post that the game would crash when the real all star game is played. If I have this option disabled from now on will I still have a problem?

Please let me know as I am putting in alot of time in this sim and dont want to crash as early as 1932.

Thanks for the general information
You should always make a backup at the end of each season if possible. As far as the all-star game it will only crash if you have no teams in the other league. The AI will try to pick a starting pitcher but since there are no teams, there are no players for the AI to pick from which i believe causes it to crash.
You should always check the schedules and all-star seeitngs before you begin a new season. I use Flommess's schedules. They are more closer to the real thing if you are using the actual teams.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #20
Nick Soulis
Hall Of Famer

Ok so I just completed the 1876 season and for the first time the issue of free agency has come up.

A number of high profile players who I assume were on one year contracts are now free agents. Well I have simmed up to the preseason of the 1877 season and no one has been signed yet, including the leagues biggest stars.

Is there an issue with the AI not signing free agents for the 19th cent?
Nick Soulis is offline   Reply With Quote