Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Exclamation 19th Century Fielding and a change from 9 to X that I just noticed

A warning to all of you who may be interested in 1870s historical play.

This weekend, I've been doing my first 1871 Historical in X. I did a couple in 9 and quite enjoyed getting familiar with those players and that time period. I really liked experiencing the feel of the game with all of the errors that were committed.

But, in the X game, I'm getting very few errors. Too few. The fielding percentage numbers are around .980. So, I checked my OOTP9 games and found a much more reasonable .830 (arguably still a little bit too high, but close enough for government work.) So, I did a little investigation and I see that in OOTP9, under League Totals, there was a line for "Fielding Errors" that is gone in OOTPX, replaced it seems with Position Modifiers (where fielding can be modified position-by-position.)

This seems cool, but here's the PROBLEM: in 9, Fielding Errors was automatically modified in the early 1870s to 7.245 when starting an 1871 historical. In X, the game doesn't make any modifications to the Fielding Errors by position. This are similar problems with other modifiers - Passed Balls, Double Plays, and Starting Pitcher Endurance being the most obvious for 1870s simming.

Now, obviously, I can go into X and modify all of these myself, but that's work I didn't have to do in 9 and I'm going to have to remember to do it for every season. Having the fielding modifiers by position is cool. A trip to Retrosheet may be in order before I tweak and begin again. But, for ease of game play, it would be cool if historical games modified the percentages automatically like they did in 9.

I'll post this in the Tech forum, too. It seems like this is something that could be fixed pretty easily in the next patch.

After doing a little more poking around, I noticed that the era_fielding document in the database has a different configuration for X than it did for 9, adding fielding percentage by position. I'm now wondering if the fielding % data is NOT getting picked up by the game in X.

A LITTLE MORE INFO: I made 1871 Historical leagues for both 9 and X last night. In 9, errors were automatically adjusted by the game itself for 1871 (although certain other categories - e.g., PB - were not). Upon rolling over to 1872, the game made further adjustments. In X, none of the adjustments were made automatically in 1871, but in 1872, they were. Obviously, this makes for remarkably different seasons. Just for kicks, I tried it with a 1920 Historical start in X, too. Same thing: no adjustments in 1920, huge in 1921. Just thought you might like to know.

Last edited by risp2out; 08-30-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Edit for Further Information
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Nukester
All Star Starter

Check out this thread

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...st-season.html

This will show you how to get better results in the first year of your league (lol....obvious by the title)

Last edited by Nukester; 08-30-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Nukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Thanks, Nuke. That all makes sense. I'm not quite sure why the game can't pre-populate the totals for the first season, but whatever. We wouldn't play this game if we weren't a little OCD about our baseball, right?
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote