Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
mterracc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Franchise Greats - Historic League

So I have discovered how to import teams of the past into my Historic League and am setting up a Franchise Greats Historic League.

Here's the scoop.

I am starting in the 2007 season and am customizing the rosters for each team. I will base the schedule on the 2007 season, but I'll probably tweak it to add more interleague games. The rosters include the best players on each teams from 1975 to present. I have 10 of the 30 teams designed and can't wait to play. I'm going with the standard 25 man roster and the Reserve List, no minors. I'm trying not to duplicate any players either.

My White Sox team I designed is awesome. I've got LaMarr Hoyt and Richard Dotson from the '83 season as my top 2 starters, followed by Jack McDowell from '93 and then Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland from the '05 Champions. I love the bullpen -- Bobby Thigpen ('90), Roberto Hernandez ('93) and Bobby Jenks ('05) with Juan Agosto and Salome Barjoas from the '83 team and Dustin Hermanson from the '05 team.

Here's how my lineup and bench looks:

CF-Rudy Law
SS-Ozzie Guillen
1B-Frank Thomas
LF-Carlos Lee
RF-Magglio Ordonez
C-Carlton Fisk
DH-Harold Baines
3B-Robin Ventura
2B-Ray Durham

Bench - Pierzynski,Konerko,Dye,Bo Jackson,Tadahito Iguchi.

I'll update as soon as I get things rolling.
mterracc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
CeeBee
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mterracc View Post
So I have discovered how to import teams of the past into my Historic League and am setting up a Franchise Greats Historic League.

Here's the scoop.

I am starting in the 2007 season and am customizing the rosters for each team. I will base the schedule on the 2007 season, but I'll probably tweak it to add more interleague games. The rosters include the best players on each teams from 1975 to present. I have 10 of the 30 teams designed and can't wait to play. I'm going with the standard 25 man roster and the Reserve List, no minors. I'm trying not to duplicate any players either.

My White Sox team I designed is awesome. I've got LaMarr Hoyt and Richard Dotson from the '83 season as my top 2 starters, followed by Jack McDowell from '93 and then Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland from the '05 Champions. I love the bullpen -- Bobby Thigpen ('90), Roberto Hernandez ('93) and Bobby Jenks ('05) with Juan Agosto and Salome Barjoas from the '83 team and Dustin Hermanson from the '05 team.

Here's how my lineup and bench looks:

CF-Rudy Law
SS-Ozzie Guillen
1B-Frank Thomas
LF-Carlos Lee
RF-Magglio Ordonez
C-Carlton Fisk
DH-Harold Baines
3B-Robin Ventura
2B-Ray Durham

Bench - Pierzynski,Konerko,Dye,Bo Jackson,Tadahito Iguchi.

I'll update as soon as I get things rolling.
What, no Luke Appling, Eddie Collins, Nellie Fox, Luis Aparicio, Ed Walsh, Ted Lyons, Red Faber, etc.....?

Last edited by CeeBee; 05-01-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: hit wrong button
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
What, no Luke Appling, Eddie Collins, Nellie Fox, Luis Aparicio, Ed Walsh, Ted Lyons, Red Faber, etc.....?
1975 to present the man said.

My Red Sox could still put together a pretty good roster.

C - Fisk, Varitek
1B - Yaz, Vaughn
2B - Pedroia
3B - Boggs, Youkilis
SS - Nomar, Valentin
LF - Manny, Rice
CF - Lynn, Damon
RF - Evans
DH - Ortiz

SP - Pedro, Clemens, Tiant, Wakefield, Eckersley (or Schilling/Beckett/Boyd/Hurst)
RP - Papelbon, Stanley, Lowe, Reardon, Smith
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
CeeBee
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelric View Post
Methinks I need new glasses
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
mterracc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelric View Post

My Red Sox could still put together a pretty good roster.

C - Fisk, Varitek
1B - Yaz, Vaughn
2B - Pedroia
3B - Boggs, Youkilis
SS - Nomar, Valentin
LF - Manny, Rice
CF - Lynn, Damon
RF - Evans
DH - Ortiz

SP - Pedro, Clemens, Tiant, Wakefield, Eckersley (or Schilling/Beckett/Boyd/Hurst)
RP - Papelbon, Stanley, Lowe, Reardon, Smith
That's pretty much how my Red Sox team looks. But I put Fred Lynn on the Angels and Manny on the Indians..and Eck on the A's. This should be interesting to see what happens once the games start. Hopefully I'll get the balance of the teams done by this weekend.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

I'd have to consider other teams?! Blasphemy. Reardon and Lee Smith should go elsewhere then. Same with Beckett and Schilling. Guess that gives us Hurst for the obligatory lefty and Boyd for the eccentric character to make Papi laugh in the dugout.

Edit - Why did Lynn go to the Angels, by the way? He spent more time in Boston and his two best seasons were there. Anaheim can put together a pretty good outfield with a choice of Anderson, Downing and Salmon. Though I guess that does leave them without a centerfielder since Edmonds should be on the Cardinals. Erstad, maybe?

Last edited by Kelric; 05-02-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
mterracc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Okay. So I get 20 of the 30 teams completely done and guess what! Something crashed in the leauge and now I can't re-open the league at all, it says there's an error loading the manager data! Unbelievable. Did I backup the league as I went along like I kept telling myself I should have done? Of course not! #%!$!

So I guess it's back to the old drawing board for now...
Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
Mowie
Bat Boy

That's horrible...

I'm doing a similar style league as you are (well when my 9 month old will take a nap and let me work on it...so slow). The difference with mine is that I'm doing back to 1900, so although I get a few people I don't know involved, it gives me some minor league depth to combat injuries. I've had a horrible time getting things started, between the program running slow on my crappy computer, and constant lockups and power outages screwing everything up. I've learned that I'll never get 2 hours to work on it straight, so I should have it ready to test in about...2010 :P
Mowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #9
mterracc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Do yourself a BIG favor..make sure you make a back up as you create the teams. It's so much work and then it all goes for nothing if the darn game crashes. I made the 2009 rosters and would do like 6 or 7 teams and then copy the leauge folder to my external hard drive. I'd repeat this until all the teams were done.

I would definitely recommend backing up as you go. It'll save you a lot of heartache if you make 30 teams and the game crashes. That sounds like a cool idea going back to 1900. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Rondell Tate
Minors (Double A)

Blue Jays

Robbie Alomar - 2B
Tony Fernandez - SS
Carlos Delgado - DH
John Olerud - 1B
Vernon Wells - CF
George Bell - LF
Jesse Barfield - RF
Ernie Whitt/ Pat Borders - C platoon
Kelly Gruber/Rance Mulliniks - 3B platoon

Bench - Shaker Moseby, Joe Carter, Damo Garcia

SP David Stieb, Roy Halladay, Jimmy Key, Juan Guzman, David Wells
Spot starter/mopup Jim Clancy
Closer Tom "Henkenstein" Henke ... only the broadcasters called him "The Terminator"
RP David Ward (setup), Mike Timlin, Paul Quantrill (sit. lefty), Mark Eichhorn

RAlomar, Carter, Key, Timlin, Delgado and Wells all played significantly elsewhere, but more time in T.O. than anywhere else.

3B is really weak (which is why they picked up Molitor for their championship teams, but he's gotta be a Brewer).

Fred McGriff spent five years in T.O. (including his best season) and started there; he played more games in Atlanta ... you could make a good case he belongs on the Jays bench (or Devon White, Shannon Stewart, Alfredo Griffin or Ed Sprague) and you could drop Eichhorn in a heartbeat ... Clancy is a throwback to four-man rotations and he and Timbits could eat all the junk innings ...

Oh, and Kelric, you're right, Reardon belongs in Montreal (six years, 152 saves) not Boston (3 years, 88 saves). It's bad enough you guys Steinbrennered Pedro ...

Last edited by Rondell Tate; 06-26-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: forgot something
Rondell Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
Rondell Tate
Minors (Double A)

Blue Jays

Robbie Alomar - 2B
Tony Fernandez - SS
Carlos Delgado - DH
John Olerud - 1B
Vernon Wells - CF
George Bell - LF
Jesse Barfield - RF
Ernie Whitt/ Pat Borders - C platoon
Kelly Gruber/Rance Mulliniks - 3B platoon

Bench - Shaker Moseby, Joe Carter, Damo Garcia

SP David Stieb, Roy Halladay, Jimmy Key, Juan Guzman, David Wells
Spot starter/mopup Jim Clancy
Closer Tom "Henkenstein" Henke ... only the broadcasters called him "The Terminator"
RP David Ward (setup), Mike Timlin, Paul Quantrill (sit. lefty), Mark Eichhorn

RAlomar, Carter, Key, Timlin, Delgado and Wells all played significantly elsewhere, but more time in T.O. than anywhere else.

3B is really weak (which is why they picked up Molitor for their championship teams, but he's gotta be a Brewer).

Fred McGriff spent five years in T.O. (including his best season) and started there; he played more games in Atlanta ... you could make a good case he belongs on the Jays bench (or Devon White, Shannon Stewart, Alfredo Griffin or Ed Sprague) and you could drop Eichhorn in a heartbeat ... Clancy is a throwback to four-man rotations and he and Timbits could eat all the junk innings ...

And wouldn't Damon be a Royal?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Rondell Tate
Minors (Double A)

Sorry for the double post ... something funky happened when I went to add the note on Damon.
And I know it's blasphemy in Boston, but Carlton Fisk played more games in Chitown ... a LOT MORE after 1975.

Just sayin' ...

Old 06-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
jayouzts
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Cardinals

I may try the same thing with the cardinals

Coleman LF ('85)
McGee CF ('85)
Herr 2B ('85)
Pujols 1B ('03)
Rolen 3b ('04)
Ludwick RF ('08)
Simmons C ('77)
Ozzie Smith SS ('87)

Bench Hernandez ('79), Edmonds ('04), Molina ('08), L.Smith ('82), Brock('76), Oquendo ('89), Lankford('98)

Pitchers Tudor ('85), Andujar ('84), Carpenter ('05), McGrane('87), Morris('01)

Sutter('84), Worrell('86), Lahti('85), Dayley ('85), Kline('04)

I am assuming McGuire would be on the A's, otherwise I would have his '98 season instead of Brock's 76.
jayouzts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
Cooperstown
Minors (Triple A)

You might try this....

Looks very similar to what u guys are talking about. 40 man rosters best players from history of each franchise, balanced to make teams closer in talent.

I also included the link for the All Time Teams file, team with most wins in franchise history, cept the 94 expos, strike season.

You can check the postings in the mods section for the Negro Leagues and Japanese All Time teams as well

-Coop

Cooperstown

Cooperstown Baseball League.lg.rar

All Time Teams

All Time MLB Teams.lg.rar
Cooperstown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #15
Cooperstown
Minors (Triple A)

Here is the roster list for the Cooperstown file, you can check it out for all the teams.

Cooperstown.xls

-Coop
Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 AM   #16
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Thanks a million for the links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperstown View Post
Looks very similar to what u guys are talking about. 40 man rosters best players from history of each franchise, balanced to make teams closer in talent.

I also included the link for the All Time Teams file, team with most wins in franchise history, cept the 94 expos, strike season.

You can check the postings in the mods section for the Negro Leagues and Japanese All Time teams as well

-Coop

Cooperstown

Cooperstown Baseball League.lg.rar

All Time Teams

All Time MLB Teams.lg.rar
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:56 AM   #17
risp2out
All Star Reserve

I'm not quite sure if you're going with career or single season, but if I were to vote for my Dodgers, I guess I'd go with:

SP - Hershiser '88 (duh!), Valenzuela '80, R Martinez '90, T John '77, Nomo '95 (honorable mentions to Hershiser '85, Messerschmidt '75, K Brown '99)
Bullpen - Howell '89, Gagne '02-'03, Saito '06-'07

C - Piazza '97 (Scioscia as late inning defensive replacement)
1B - Garvey gets the nod as a career guy, but actually Karros '99 and Nomar '06 were better single seasons
2B - Kent is hard to argue with career-wise, but I'd take Lopes '79 with .372OBP, 28HR, and 44SB w/ 4 CS as a single season.
3B - Penguin's the man career-wise, but Beltre '04 single season
SS - Russell bleeds Dodger blue, but I'd actually take Furcal '06 as the single season
LF - several good players here (D Baker, K Gibson, Manny), but give me Sheffield '00-'01 . . . well, if it's one crucial AB, give me Gibson.
CF - Butler, '94 probably his best all around season
RF - S Green '01-'02 - is there any way to attach Mondesi's arm to him on defense? (R Smith for nostalgia purposes)

D. Strawberry, E. Davis, or JD Drew are all on the squad but permanently injured or suspended. D. Deshields attempts to report to camp, but for some reason security doesn't recognize him and he isn't allowed in.
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:11 AM   #18
Cooperstown
Minors (Triple A)

Kind of a mix.....

My file would be based on 1901 (mostly) to 2008. Franchise All Stars, meaning for example Dodgers would include Brooklyn and LA.

Then I had no players that were repeated on multiple teams. Great examples are Sheffield or Randy Johnson who had great seasons with several teams.

Then I tried to balance the power by distributing players who played on multiple teams to the teams in need. Examples: A-Rod/Randy Johnson both Mariners. Jeff Kent to NY Mets. Jose Canseco to Tampa. Pedro Martinez ro Expos/Nationals. Manny to the Indians, ect...

I usually favored offense, but not in every case.

Players imported with neutralized stats, with mostly career stats.

I went with the computer generated lineups cause I was about spent after creating the file. Cool thing is with 40 man rosters almost everyones favorites are there. But, as always, cant please everyone

I just hope people get some enjoyment out of playing with them, basically they are set up for single season play, I play out the games, switching teams every time seeing how well I can do

-Coop

Last edited by Cooperstown; 07-08-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:14 AM   #19
Cooperstown
Minors (Triple A)

risp2out

You should really do that commentary for every team!

It was pretty good

-Coop

Last edited by Cooperstown; 07-08-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #20
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

I'll take a shot at the team I grew up following, the Atlanta Braves. I'm sure I'll miss someone here, but here goes:

C: Javy Lopez '03
1B: Fred McGriff '94
2B: Marcus Giles '03
3B: Chipper Jones '99
SS: Rafael Furcal '03
OF: Dale Murphy '87
OF: David Justice '94
OF: Andruw Jones '05

Bench: Brian McCann '06, Bob Horner '83, Glenn Hubbard '83, Rafael Ramirez '83, Terry Pendleton '91, Jeff Blauser '93, Otis Nixon '91, Ron Gant '90.

SP: Greg Maddux '95
SP: Tom Glavine '91
SP: John Smoltz '96
SP: Phil Niekro '78
SP: Steve Avery '93
SP: Rick Mahler '84
RP: Gene Garber '82
RP: Mark Wohlers '95
RP: Rick Camp '80
RP: Kerry Ligtenberg '98
RP: John Rocker '99

Or...you could use Smoltz '03 as your closer and add another starter. I couldn't stand Rocker, but I guess he belongs on the team.

I think this roster captures most of the more important players who came through Atlanta over the last 30 years or so. In some cases, I chose a guy with a longer career in a Braves uniform, like Hubbard or Mahler, over a one- or two-year wonder.

I didn't take Jeff Burroughs or Ryan Klesko, because I figured Burroughs would be claimed by the Rangers and Klesko by the Padres. I did take McGriff and Furcal, though.

The Base Ball Life of Patrick O'Farrell: 2014 inductee, OOTP Dynasty Hall of Fame

Kenilworth: A Town and its Team: fun with a fictional league
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote