Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 06-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #61
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorseMoose
So for 1905-1950, you didn't change the schedule. Correct?

I realize that schedule doesn't really matter unless you want historical accuracy, I just wanted to see what kind of numbers I got compared to you, TF.
that is correct. I let it quick sim with no schedule change. Before that I did change my pitchers endurance to normal, reliever usage to rarely , pinch hit for pitcher to rarely and stolen bases to normal (I think. Game is running a different test right now so I can't check). I also bumped up a bunch of the minor league modifiers...mainly homers to something like 1.8 and also k's to 1.5 but in hindsight 2.00 or even higher would have likely been better. Although the minor league stats should not affect things much.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #62
Jeremy Weimer
Hall Of Famer

Steve, whenever you want to make changes to the quickstart or even make another one just send it along and I'll be sure to put it up for people to download.
Jeremy Weimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #63
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually no reason to change the schedule as it remained a 154 game season until 1961 when the AL went 162 games. The NL followed a year later, going to 162 games in 1962.

In hindsight though, I suppose teams didn't play the exact same schedule every season as far as team rotation goes.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #64
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM
Actually no reason to change the schedule as it remained a 154 game season until 1961 when the AL went 162 games. The NL followed a year later, going to 162 games in 1962.

In hindsight though, I suppose teams didn't play the exact same schedule every season as far as team rotation goes.
Yeah...I meant playing different teams. It wasn't important to me, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other setting I was suppose to select.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #65
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

I stand corrected - the league went back to a 140 game schedule for the 1919 season and teams only averaged 126 games in 1918. Both were due to WWI.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #66
billethius
All Star Reserve

At what point do you start to alter the financial coefficient? Or do you just leave it low as it is and not worry about it?
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #67
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan
I have downloaded it and I will see if I can put something together tonight...unless someone else beats me to it.
Could I start with your original league but then switch to the AROD23/GARLON DB in subsequent seasons?

And BTW thanks for the work you put into this.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 06-03-2006 at 10:51 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #68
Jeremy Weimer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW
Could I start with your original league but then switch to the AROD/GARLON23 DB in subsequent seasons?

I don't see why you couldn't. You can alter the path to the database, so as long as you point it at the path to the Arod/Garlon DB it should work. Some people have been having problems with the game loading from a new database once you switch paths but for the most part it seems to work.
Jeremy Weimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #69
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Could I start with your original league but then switch to the AROD/GARLON23 DB in subsequent seasons?

I did this. I just unzipped AROD/GARLON23 DB into my lahman53 folder and over wrote the existing files.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #70
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
I see Babe Ruth was a hitter in your league but he came in as a pitcher in mine...how did you fix that?
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #71
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I see Babe Ruth was a hitter in your league but he came in as a pitcher in mine...how did you fix that?
Ruth started as a pitcher but I manually changed him to an outfielder in 1917 or so. If you are in commissioner mode just go to his player page and select the editor tab. I then switched his primary position to OF and gave him ratings at Left and Right field.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #72
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I realize that schedule doesn't really matter unless you want historical accuracy, I just wanted to see what kind of numbers I got compared to you, TF.
You only need to change it to 154 games for 1904, drop it down to 140 games for 1919, and put it back up to 154 games in 1920. No further changes are needed until you get to 1961, where you set it to 162. Note that this higher number is necessary because of the AL's longer season; the NL will still have it's 154 game schedule for that year. You simply need the higher value to accommodate the AL.

Note that if you want to have a shortened 1918 season, you can do that. An alternative file which ends on Labor Day (as the real season did) is in the schedules folder. Just import that schedule instead of the full-length one; note though that teams will be playing differing numbers of games. It ranges from 124-132, with the average being 127.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:51 AM   #73
zuty
Minors (Double A)

I've been playing a historical sim for the first time, but I'm noticing a weird trend... A lot of players are showing up twice in my league. They came in in 1901, played for their team, and then were brought in a second time in 1902.

Any idea about this?
zuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:58 AM   #74
Hyper_Chem
Minors (Single A)

OK OK

WHAT ABOUT

"GENERAL STRATEGIC TENDENCIES"

Does anybody have a history of when to change them over?

I mean when is it ok to have "Use of Closers" from "rarely" to "very often"

I mean who has a F&$@*!ng idea. Does anybody?

Sincerely,
Historicaly curious.

Last edited by Hyper_Chem; 06-04-2006 at 03:00 AM.
Hyper_Chem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:12 AM   #75
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Chem
OK OK

WHAT ABOUT

"GENERAL STRATEGIC TENDENCIES"

Does anybody have a history of when to change them over?

I mean when is it ok to have "Use of Closers" from "rarely" to "very often"

I mean who has a F&$@*!ng idea. Does anybody?

Sincerely,
Historicaly curious.
The use of closers was a gradual increase from never in 1901, although I don't think the modern usage of bringing them in for one inning with a lead is over 20 years old or so. I think I'd change from very rarely to rarely in 1920, and progress in 1946, 1961, and 1975. Pitcher durability decays at about the same rate.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:15 AM   #76
Hyper_Chem
Minors (Single A)

Ok well that one is out of the way.

But what about "relievers", or "base stealing", or "hit and run".

6.5 had a silly little button that would change them according to era, "dead ball" or "steroid".

I just want to know when to do it now.

Sincerely,
Lost on steroids. lol.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #77
Brife71
Major Leagues

I've been doing this over the last few days and I like the results. The only problem I have is the stupid AI manager for the Boston Red Sox. It's 1926 and They have yet to make Babe Ruth A starter. He has great stats for when he plays (he starts every third game cause that's the platoon the manager gives him) But they never make him the starter. Over the last 4 years they have gotten a different right fielder each year to start the majority of the games over him. Other than taking control of the Red Sox as manager, is there anything that can be done about this idiot?

Brian
Brife71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #78
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brife71
I've been doing this over the last few days and I like the results. The only problem I have is the stupid AI manager for the Boston Red Sox. It's 1926 and They have yet to make Babe Ruth A starter. He has great stats for when he plays (he starts every third game cause that's the platoon the manager gives him) But they never make him the starter. Over the last 4 years they have gotten a different right fielder each year to start the majority of the games over him. Other than taking control of the Red Sox as manager, is there anything that can be done about this idiot?

Brian
I would take control of the team for one season, play him as a regular and let him put up a full season of great stats. Then turn the team back over the AI and see if it recognizes his potential as a regular. Might work...
Old 06-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #79
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan
With that league file I made the following moves at the end of 1901

Went to the Milwaukee Brewers team page and changed their name to the St Louis Browns and the historical ID to SLA.

Went to league setup and imported the real 1902 schedule for the major leagues.

Went to the League setup for the AAA league and made the following changes to Strategy & Equivalencies:

raised modifier for Hits in League total section from 1.000 to 1.200
raised modifier for BB in league total section from 1.000 to 1.200

Remember those changes are to be made for the AAA league only.

Since I do not have a large number of players yet I decided to leave injuries turned off for at least one more season.

That's it. Now I am ready to sim out 1902.
Help!!

I'm trying to change Milwaukee to St. Louis and it won't take. The SLA works, the nickname goes to Browns but Milwaukee comes back each time. Any tips would be appreciated.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #80
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Help!!

I'm trying to change Milwaukee to St. Louis and it won't take. The SLA works, the nickname goes to Browns but Milwaukee comes back each time. Any tips would be appreciated.
Make sure you hit the "Enter" key after each change.

Change Milwaukee to St. Louis then press enter
Change MLA to SLA and press enter
etc etc