Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 06-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #41
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf7623
This thread has to be the most hopeful thread to date about the new version
""
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #42
TobyCharles
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Tiger Fan and Jeremy...thanks for doing this. This is a great way to learn how to set up and run historical leagues. I have a question. I just finished 1901 and the results were quite good, except in strikeouts. For example, the real life NL total was 4241...the replay 1196. In the AL, real life was 2736...replay was 1399. Should I tweak the league total SO modifier up for 1902 or wait awhile to see how things shake out over a few seasons.

Sorry for such an elemental question, but I'm really excited about learning the ins and outs of historical replays and want to make sure my thinking is along the correct lines.

Thanks again for setting up this replay.
TobyCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #43
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13
Bruce, I had that problem, then I renamed the Lahman folder to "lahman53" and put it where the game is looking for it.

But it is looking for the folder and not a file.
That worked - thanks again.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #44
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
TF and Jeremy,

Thanks for doing this for one. This is great to use as a walkthrough. What would be even better is if it were formatted a little bit better (without all the unnecessary posts in between). A step-by-step like TF is doing in a locked post or something. I'd love to follow this, but I get lost trying to :/.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #45
bp_
Hall Of Famer

Is there a reason injuries are set to off?

Also, if I want to remain somewhat accurate I probably shouldn't send my scouts out into the world to scout until what year?

Last edited by bp_; 06-03-2006 at 12:25 PM.
bp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #46
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13
Bruce, I had that problem, then I renamed the Lahman folder to "lahman53" and put it where the game is looking for it.

But it is looking for the folder and not a file.
You can also go into League Setup and change the path to your lahman file.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #47
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

What about an All-Star game? I realize there isn't an all-star game in 1901, but will that screw with the schedule? I'd like to have an all-star game but don't wanna screw anything up.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #48
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_
Is there a reason injuries are set to off?

Also, if I want to remain somewhat accurate I probably shouldn't send my scouts out into the world to scout until what year?
Yes, for the first couple of years there are not enough players available. I leave them off to ensure a rash of injuries does not make a team run out of players. I generally turn the injuries back on in the 3rd or 4th season of a deadball era start league or the second season for a league starting at any other time.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #49
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorseMoose
What about an All-Star game? I realize there isn't an all-star game in 1901, but will that screw with the schedule? I'd like to have an all-star game but don't wanna screw anything up.
It won't screw it up. If you import the real schedule that just means the season will end on a Wednesday instead of a Sunday because the allstar game pushes everything back 3 days when it is scheduled in mid-July.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #50
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyCharles
Tiger Fan and Jeremy...thanks for doing this. This is a great way to learn how to set up and run historical leagues. I have a question. I just finished 1901 and the results were quite good, except in strikeouts. For example, the real life NL total was 4241...the replay 1196. In the AL, real life was 2736...replay was 1399. Should I tweak the league total SO modifier up for 1902 or wait awhile to see how things shake out over a few seasons.

Sorry for such an elemental question, but I'm really excited about learning the ins and outs of historical replays and want to make sure my thinking is along the correct lines.

Thanks again for setting up this replay.

I would not tweak the settings. Just leave them and the era modifier will sort things out as you go. The only suggested tweak I might add is to do it prior to year one, but I wanted to keep this quickstart with defaults as much as possible just to make it simplier. (for me putting it together rather quickly)
Old 06-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #51
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Tiger Fan - Have you had any problems importing schedules?

When I went to 1903, I tried to import that schedule. When I do, I get an error message - "Could not import schedule. The number of 'Games Per Team' is 140. This does not match the number in your settings, which is 154."

So basically the schedule that came with the game is only for 140 days, which is incorrect.

When I changed my setting in league setup to 140, it imports fine.

Edit - never mind - I was wrong, the season doesn't change to 154 games until 1904. My bad

Last edited by Bluenoser; 06-03-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #52
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Saves seem a bit high. I had a pitcher get 10 saves just in Spring Training.

Last edited by MorseMoose; 06-03-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #53
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Saves seem a bit high. I had a pitcher get 10 saves just in Sprign Training.
What season?

My save totals have been pretty good. Here are the leaders for each league from 1902-03.

Real life In 1903 there were 20 saves in the AL and 30 in the NL. In my sim I had 30 in the AL and 41 in the NL. Of the 41 NL saves a total of 19 of them were by the Phillies and I believe that is because they only had 3 starters with decent endurance. In real life teams averaged about 119 complete games for the 1903 season. In my sim they averaged 120 complete games - even with the Phillies and White Sox only have 100 each.

The rest of the league averaged about 2.5 saves per team but the White Sox and Phillies combined for 28. If each of those teams had one more quality starting pitcher - and there were some in the minors for other teams - than I think my saves would have been almost perfect.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-18-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #54
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

I do not remember ever having pitcher usage in the deadball era come out better than it can with this version of the game. The key to this lies in using a 22 man roster and keeping your pitcher endurance high for the first half dozen seasons.

Here is one team at random - and you know I have to pick the Tigers, showing the real life 1903 performance of their staff compared to the sim results.

They are still not 100% perfect for reliever usage but it is pretty close.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-18-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #55
jf7623
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Well the Arod/Garlon database has been released, can't wait for the quickstart on this
jf7623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #56
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan
What season?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #57
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Your roster size is set to 22 and your pitchers endurance is at high correct? Also make sure you have relievers and closer usage set to very rarely and pinch hit for pitcher also set to very rarely(or seldom whichever is used as I cant recall off the top of my head),

1901 is also a transition year because the modifiers have no sim stats to compare to yet. See if it persists in 1902. Also if you have only gone through spring training it may be different during the season and you will get better results. I have not really looked at it much but spring training likely limits the number of innings a pitcher will go which makes more saves inevitable.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #58
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf7623
Well the Arod/Garlon database has been released, can't wait for the quickstart on this
I have downloaded it and I will see if I can put something together tonight...unless someone else beats me to it.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #59
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_

No need to send them at all if you are using the quickstart. I disabled the option to create and maintain hidden players so that there would be no fictional players in the universe at all, with the exception of the minor league filler players that began in 1901. As the filler players retire there will be no more fictional players left in the league.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #60
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

So for 1905-1950, you didn't change the schedule. Correct?

I realize that schedule doesn't really matter unless you want historical accuracy, I just wanted to see what kind of numbers I got compared to you, TF.