Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
TheOrangeMan
Bat Boy

No more College Years ever?

I had a few posts on one of the old message boards over the years and have played TCY and FOF7...

Anyway, I just joined this board to ask whether Jim plans to ever do another TCY.

I was just reading his 6/5/19 update and he said, "Going back to 2001 and the release of The College Years (still, to date, by far my most successful game)..."

So frustrating to read that and nothing ever gets done with college football (while we get eight or nine versions of FOF in the meantime).

I'd gladly pay full-price for the original version of TCY with just a few modest updates (the most important thing being to set-up conferences the way you want)...

Am I the only one who feels this way or even wants a new TCY?

Last edited by TheOrangeMan; 09-21-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
OrbisEuler
Minors (Rookie Ball)

September 5th update? Uhm where is this?
Old 09-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
TheOrangeMan
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbisEuler View Post
September 5th update? Uhm where is this?
Sorry, my bad - should have said June 5...
Old 09-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
Zeppelin462
Minors (Double A)

I would LOVE a new TCY. At a minimum, I really just wish it was easier to modify TCY teams and conferences. I tried making a complete, fake universe once, but there is no way to change team names and locations except to edit the teams one by one, then edit the location connected to that team, also one by one.

At the same time, it's hard to tell who is in which conference once you start changing names, so I was keeping a Word doc with screenshots of each conference to make it a little more manageable, but I gave up at around 20 teams.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
BradS
Minors (Double A)

TCY with more coaching options and new UI would be asking too much I think. Is Mr. Gindin up for that? His plate is full with current game and they plan on a yearly release like the baseball game? Great thought though we can dream right.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
TheOrangeMan
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin462 View Post
I would LOVE a new TCY. At a minimum, I really just wish it was easier to modify TCY teams and conferences. I tried making a complete, fake universe once, but there is no way to change team names and locations except to edit the teams one by one, then edit the location connected to that team, also one by one.

At the same time, it's hard to tell who is in which conference once you start changing names, so I was keeping a Word doc with screenshots of each conference to make it a little more manageable, but I gave up at around 20 teams.
I looked into editing teams awhile back but it was just too difficult - plus I think certain things were fixed no matter what (no way to change the number of teams in a particular conference, for instance).

Maybe a couple of times a year I'll check these forums to see what is going on - two or three years ago Jim indicated a TCY2 was on his list but apparently nothing has come of it.

Like you, I'd just be happy for what I'd call a minor update of the old game - which one would think would be doable as compared to designing a completely new game.

It's too bad because IMO Jim's game is the only good college football game out there - but not fun to play anymore because of the outdated conference alignments.

I'd also wish to be able to completely customize the playoff format.

Probably the biggest "weakness" of the game from my perspective is that the strength of teams varied too much from what we see in real-life. I'm sure there's a viable way to fix that (even make that a customizable feature as well).

Maybe throw in whatever offense schemes that exist now that didn't exist then.

That's all I'd need, really.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
frankinho
Bat Boy

You actually have quite a few options of college football games available while we wait for a new TCY (hopefully), unfortunately none of them are new releases and or perfect but i found them to be quite satisfying to play. I'll say they are all quite immersive and better than TCY as it is really showing its age if you play it today.
Here are the options in no certain order i have played in the past several years and some still play today:
- NCAA Football 13 or 14 (PS3)
- NCAA Football 06 or 09 (PS2)
- Bowl Bound College Football (steam)

Last edited by frankinho; 09-30-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
Zeppelin462
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinho View Post
You actually have quite a few options of college football games available while we wait for a new TCY (hopefully), unfortunately none of them are new releases and or perfect but i found them to be quite satisfying to play. I'll say they are all quite immersive and better than TCY as it is really showing its age if you play it today.
Here are the options in no certain order i have played in the past several years and some still play today:
- NCAA Football 13 or 14 (PS3)
- NCAA Football 06 or 09 (PS2)
- Bowl Bound College Football (steam)
Draft Day Sports College Football 2019 is also an option. It's very aesthetically pleasing, but lacks some of the customization options to make it truly compelling. Based on the leaps forward the pro football game has made this year, I'm hoping we'll see some significant improvements in the next version.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #9
frankinho
Bat Boy

Yeah i have tried Draft Day Sports College Football 2019 as well but for some reason just don't find it all that immersive. For me recruiting is the bread and butter and what i like as much if not more than the games themselves and it's just to generic in this game with the points system. There's just no...personality in it
Old 09-30-2019, 05:29 PM   #10
Zeppelin462
Minors (Double A)

Agreed. I'm hopeful based on the improvements in the pro game, but we shall see
Old 10-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #11
redfox000
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Yeah i have tried Draft Day Sports College Football 2019 as well but for some reason just don't find it all that immersive. For me recruiting is the bread and butter and what i like as much if not more than the games themselves and it's just to generic in this game with the points system. There's just no...personality in it
The best college football game, IMHO, still is Bowl Bound, though it does still have crashes every now and then and seems to stop working after around 75 seasons or so i believe.

Last edited by redfox000; 10-03-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:24 PM   #12
BradS
Minors (Double A)

Currently in my 3rd year Wisconsin with Bowl Bound having a blast with it. Haven't closed the gap with Buckeyes with 4 losses my best so far. Great game. From what I've read Arlie is still working on a Pro game.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
frankinho
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
Currently in my 3rd year Wisconsin with Bowl Bound having a blast with it. Haven't closed the gap with Buckeyes with 4 losses my best so far. Great game. From what I've read Arlie is still working on a Pro game.
where have you read that? would be awesome. I think if someone just builds on what bowl bound is already would be fantastic
Old 10-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #14
frankinho
Bat Boy

btw there's a small team apparently working on a similar college game, which you can try and try for free and if you like it and want to support it you can do so. I think its got some potential and their taking in feedback from users as well

here's the link - https://ct-games.itch.io/ct-football-manager
Old 10-08-2019, 10:43 PM   #15
BradS
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
where have you read that? would be awesome. I think if someone just builds on what bowl bound is already would be fantastic
It's on the Grey Dog forums.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #16
frankinho
Bat Boy

With the exciting news about NCAA allowing college athletes to be compensated in the future hopefully its another positive reason for OOTP and Jim doing a college years comeback [please let it be so]
Old 10-31-2019, 07:11 PM   #17
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
With the exciting news about NCAA allowing college athletes to be compensated in the future hopefully its another positive reason for OOTP and Jim doing a college years comeback [please let it be so]
Just as an observer, I would expect that the college game is not quite on the radar yet. I would expect a highly successful launch of the new FOF would really help dictate how soon a college game comes along from the team.

Can’t help but wonder as well, if they would instead slowly build the college features into FOF opposed to a separate game...I’d imagine would be a huge undertaking.