Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Technical Support

OOTP 16 - Technical Support If you have problems with the game, please see here.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

OOTP Name Change HELP!

I'm distraught...

I am in year six of an extremely detailed fictional league run through. I have been playing this same saved game since OOTP13. For some reason, a message popped up from a second college feeder league that I wasn't even aware of that said one of the teams had zero players in it. I realized that none of the teams in this league had players (though it seemed like the league itself had been deleted or something because I couldn't find it on any menu in the game).

Well, long story short, while I was going and trying to "fill entire league with fictional players" (which again didn't work since I couldn't find the league), I must've accidentally hit a button to change all of the names of every player in the game because now every single player in my league has a completely different name, but the same picture and stats.

I don't know if there's anything I can do. I've put so many thousands of hours into this league and I think I would just hang up the towel on this whole game if I can't change it back.

...I feel sick...
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Eek, I didn't know there was a button that does that. Sounds like a corrupted file to me, if you can't restore maybe tech support can help somehow.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Anyone know anything about this???
Old 08-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Just load your most recent backup before the change - which hopefully you have. Keeping regular backups, especially of long running leagues is critical imo.

Other than that, I know of no way to restore original names once they've been changed. I made the same mistake as you did once. My backup saved me

Not just the in game backup - make regular copies of your lg folder. Zip and place on stick or CD or external HD or other storage device.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 08-20-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

I didn't make any backups....

I guess I'm done with this game then?
Old 08-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
I didn't make any backups....

I guess I'm done with this game then?
Well, if you still have the lg file from a previous version of OOTP, you could re-import and continue from that point. It's not ideal, but it is better than trashing a good long running league you're very much into.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Well, done with the league, I guess. With no backup, there's nowhere to go. That doesn't mean you have to be done with the game. Rediscover the joys of creating the new league, and what with all the new mods available, it should provide you a new experience. Surely you recall the joys of the 'old' league as it developed? The next will be even better.

Last edited by endgame; 08-21-2015 at 11:08 AM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Well, if you still have the lg file from a previous version of OOTP, you could re-import and continue from that point. It's not ideal, but it is better than trashing a good long running league you're very much into.
Good idea, I hadn't even considered that one.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

This is what I do for back-ups just to give you an idea:

Whenever I create a league, once it's ready to go I make a copy of the "lg" folder and tuck it away in a couple of places.

Then, every year I make a copy on 1 Jan, ST, Opening Day, AS Break, day after Championship. I just overwrite the previous copy each time once I'm satisfied all is good in my little fictional baseball world.

The original save never gets overwritten of course.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

submit a support ticket and upload your league files to the ootp server. i got a response 1 day later and a patch 4 days later.

regarding your issue, try unaffiliating all the leagues and see if any of them have feeders or affiliations. sometimes if youre not carefull, you can create feeders for a feeder and it would be hidden.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Well, done with the league, I guess. With no backup, there's nowhere to go. That doesn't mean you have to be done with the game. Rediscover the joys of creating the new league, and what with all the new mods available, it should provide you a new experience. Surely you recall the joys of the 'old' league as it developed? The next will be even better.

I agree that there are joys to creating a new league, but this league was the last five or six years of my life. I didn't just play it, I knew every single player on every team in the league, every single prospect in my fictional league, knew all the stats leaders both current and all-time and I was building slowly toward getting the hall of fame going. I didn't simulate. I played every game for my team. Heck, I know more about my fictional league than I do about the current MLB.

Plus, I created the league back when I was in college and had lots of free time. Now, I work three jobs, am married, and have a newborn. There's no way I have time to go back and start over. I've had to stop playing all video games because of time constraints. This was the only one I had time for because it can be so quick to just log in and play a few innings here and there. It was quite literally, the only 'fun', non-responsibility thing I did in life. Since it happened, I've spent those few free minutes each day to myself simply doing more work for my job instead of relaxing.

I am super depressed.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:21 AM   #12
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Did you try my idea?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Did you try my idea?
How would your suggestion help him restore the original names for all of his players?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #14
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Not just the in game backup - make regular copies of your lg folder. Zip and place on stick or CD or external HD or other storage device.
somehow we all learn this one the hard way. Invaluable advice.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #15
captaincoop17
All Star Reserve

It's probably too late, but you may have been able to save the names by force quitting OOTP.

As for getting that error to go away, you could've tried purging your file.
captaincoop17 is offline   Reply With Quote