Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 11-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
BradC
All Star Starter

FHM 2015 Road to Release: The new fictional league creation wizard

We've published the next entry in the FHM 2015 Road to Release series. Let us know your thoughts. Thanks!

FHM 2015 The Road to Release: The New Fictional League Creator
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Very nice - it's a good start and simple to use. I also like that it can grow with future versions.

I am impressed with the over-all approach to the next version. Start small and simple. OOTP (Rome) wasn't built in a day and had very few features in the beginning. Take your time, add features as the game grows and when they fit. Very much looking forward to the next version.

Keep up the good work team.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
landru22
Major Leagues

A few comments/questions:

(1)The new screens look nice, but I don't see how it differs compared to what we already have, other than the lack of other leagues.

(2)I understand the need to simplify and, as a fictional player, I am absolutely fine with the structure of a single Major, Minor, and Junior leagues.

(3) It appears, since fictional is being simplified, that there will likely not be an option to "Import" a league from FHM14. Is this so?

(4) Keep up the good work!
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru22 View Post
A few comments/questions:

(1)The new screens look nice, but I don't see how it differs compared to what we already have, other than the lack of other leagues.
Before it was not possible to play with just one league (or a setup with one major, one minor and one junior league). You always had the world around it. We felt it would be better to start small now and (if demand is their) expand on the mode by time.

Quote:
(2)I understand the need to simplify and, as a fictional player, I am absolutely fine with the structure of a single Major, Minor, and Junior leagues.
We have to be realistic, the fictional mode in 2014 was not good - period. It was no easy decision for us to simplify it but in the end it is the only way to go. We don't want to remove it in total as we know that a lot of user want to play the game that way and we will continue to support/improve the mode with every new version/patch. Same for historical mode.

Quote:
(3) It appears, since fictional is being simplified, that there will likely not be an option to "Import" a league from FHM14. Is this so?
Good question. In theory, nothing speaks against it but I have to test it.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
archibalduk
All Star Starter

I really like the fresh approach and starting again from the basics. I always felt that the original fictional mode was a bit rushed and rather ambitious. The new fictional mode however looks very promising.

I also like how the wizard breaks the process down and essentially spoon-feeds you through the creation process. Although I don't like the name Sam - I'd prefer the name Torts instead!

Will there be a Road to Release article on the new FHM 2015 match engine and the 2014 match engine patch?
Old 11-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
phantompenguin
Minors (Single A)

As a fictional league player this is mostly good news. I can't say that I'll miss having the rest of the world in my fictional games because the fictional leagues were broken in '14. Simplifying it and making it work is a necessary step and I'm glad that you've recognized that and are working on it.

I do really hope that it does build up in future versions, I've always preferred creating fictional worlds, to me it's fun to build up Iceland into a hockey power and have multiple top-end leagues and feeders, but being able to play even a stripped-down version is better than being unable to play an over-ambitious and broken version.

Keep up the good work.
phantompenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin View Post
As a fictional league player this is mostly good news. I can't say that I'll miss having the rest of the world in my fictional games because the fictional leagues were broken in '14. Simplifying it and making it work is a necessary step and I'm glad that you've recognized that and are working on it.

I do really hope that it does build up in future versions, I've always preferred creating fictional worlds, to me it's fun to build up Iceland into a hockey power and have multiple top-end leagues and feeders, but being able to play even a stripped-down version is better than being unable to play an over-ambitious and broken version.

Keep up the good work.
Fictional worlds is what drew me and kept me to OOTP to begin with.

The great thing is, even if the modern day mode is the primary focus in a way, all the work there can be switched over and used for fictional as well as historical. In a way, it's all tied together. I agree too, separating the fictional league from all real ones is the first major step. Now it won't be bogged down for simming speeds and you can fly through a season in minutes if you choose.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Puckhead
Minors (Double A)

I think the new fictional mode is a good idea and it looks very well executed. As everyone already here said: keep it up!
Puckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
markprior22
All Star Starter

Will there be an easy option to keep real life teams, leagues, etc but fill them with fictional players?
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Nino33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
Will there be a Road to Release article on the new FHM 2015 match engine and the 2014 match engine patch?
I hope so! I'm by far most interested in the revamped match engine
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
BradC
All Star Starter

Yes, I expect we'll do a Road to Release for the new match engine. Thanks.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
Archangel878
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Can we see a list of the pre-defined league structures available for fictional leagues?
Archangel878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel878 View Post
Can we see a list of the pre-defined league structures available for fictional leagues?
ATM the same as in 2014.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
EJ
Minors (Double A)

It looks promising. Simple is fine for the time being.

(How about making "Sam" a sharp and attractive professional-looking woman? Just kidding . . . kind of. )
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

The team nicknames in those screenshots are great. The South Houston Malice!
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat bald guy View Post
The team nicknames in those screenshots are great. The South Houston Malice!
'Dallas Cowboys' is a controversial one!

Looks great and I love how you can edit the arena BEFORE you load up the league!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:19 AM   #17
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

I'm impressed with this really...and as a STH (first time) for the Nashville Predators I would be very interested in this feature. Not a fan of roidball especially that moronic idiot Selig ruined it for me.
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote