Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #201
eborix
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
Either way everyone has two options.

Option 1: Accept OOTP is going to be released in June and purchase it anyway.

Option 2: Do not accept this and do not purchase OOTP, in which case you have no business on this forum anyway.

Complaining about something that has already happened however isn't going to get you anything and it isn't going to release the game any faster. All you're doing is distancing yourself from the rest of the community, whom you may be trying to ask questions of come June.
I don't believe that the forum is limited to people who are going to buy. Besides, I preordered this version, just like I did 5 of the last 6. I agree that it will not get the game released any faster, however complaining about what I don't like here is pretty much the only way I have to let Markus know that I don't like it.

Last edited by eborix; 05-19-2011 at 09:42 PM.
eborix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #202
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Not trying to be negative, but doesn't the fact that OOTP13 will be released before opening day 2012 make OOTP12 slightly redundant? You'll start playing it, and then, before you know it, 9 months later, OOTP13 will be released.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #203
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborix View Post
I don't believe that the forum is limited to people who are going to buy. Besides, I preordered this version, just like I did 5 of the last 6. I agree that it will not get the game released any faster, however complaining about what I don't like here is pretty much the only way I have to let Markus know that I don't like it.
Well I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for people who preorder games. It just boggles my mind why people would give someone money while getting absolutely nothing in return.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #204
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
Not trying to be negative, but doesn't the fact that OOTP13 will be released before opening day 2012 make OOTP12 slightly redundant? You'll start playing it, and then, before you know it, 9 months later, OOTP13 will be released.
From a player standpoint? Maybe.

From a business perspective? Doubtful. If a company like SI can't afford to skip a year, I doubt OOTPD would survive without a version a year.

I'm sure if sales for either version are lower for various reasons, Markus will learn something.

In my experience with niche games like this, the people who buy will still buy even in a shorter time period (with some exceptions obviously.)
Carplos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #205
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
9 months is a long time. in the last 11 months since i bought 11, I have played 9 sns in my ABF league. 31 sns in my historical league, spent 5 months creating and setting up my Endor league, played 1906,'19,'20,'59,93' & 1994 single season replays of the White Sox not to mention the other 15 leagues i started then deleted.
When i get 12, I will play about 10 sns in each of my 3 leagues.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #206
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Well I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for people who preorder games. It just boggles my mind why people would give someone money while getting absolutely nothing in return.
sounds like dating, or marriage.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #207
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In the case of OOTP12, you save $10. Really, if you have a decent-ish income, spending $30 for a future product just means you need to spend $30 less on other things that may not be necessary.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #208
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carplos View Post
In the case of OOTP12, you save $10. Really, if you have a decent-ish income, spending $30 for a future product just means you need to spend $30 less on other things that may not be necessary.
I dunno. I guess I look at $10 as not a huge savings when comparing $30 - $40, it's not even two packs of cigarettes and barely even 2 gallons of gas. Plus even at it's base price OOTP is cheaper than almost any new game. Based of that it just seems more logical to me to wait and actually see the improvements and what they do and how they work than just hoping for the best ban maybe being out $30. It's all personal perspective, but the fact is I'm never going to feel sympathy for pre-ordering people and that's why. To me it was a personal choice so the only person who can be blamed for anything is the person who made the choice.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #209
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I dunno. I guess I look at $10 as not a huge savings when comparing $30 - $40, it's not even two packs of cigarettes and barely even 2 gallons of gas. Plus even at it's base price OOTP is cheaper than almost any new game. Based of that it just seems more logical to me to wait and actually see the improvements and what they do and how they work than just hoping for the best ban maybe being out $30. It's all personal perspective, but the fact is I'm never going to feel sympathy for pre-ordering people and that's why. To me it was a personal choice so the only person who can be blamed for anything is the person who made the choice.
I don't feel sorry for them either, I just can understand why people would pre-order, even without the savings TBH.

Though I agree, if you're concerned about release date and/or new features then you pre-order at your own peril and I don't have sympathy.

Numerous people here have said they haven't pre-ordered and won't purchase until they decide if improvements and new features are worth it to them. That's a good decision if you're concerned. But not everyone is concerned, some people (like me, but I haven't pre-ordered) aren't concerned and are fairly certain they'll enjoy it.

PS: I can get a whopping 2 1/2 gallons with $10 out here!

Last edited by Carplos; 05-19-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #210
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carplos View Post
PS: I can get a whopping 2 1/2 gallons with $10 out here!
That's cause you represent 1/2 of Idaho's population.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #211
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
sounds like dating, or marriage.
If that's the case then they're doing it wrong.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #212
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. Nine months is a long time in the world I live in. You must live REALLY FAST.

Consider this. If an OOTP release was somehow delayed for nine months (for example OOTP 12 being delayed until March 2012), just how do you think the people here would describe the length of that interval?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 05-20-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Typo!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #213
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Either way everyone has two options.

Option 1: Accept OOTP is going to be released in June and purchase it anyway.

Option 2: Do not accept this and do not purchase OOTP, in which case you have no business on this forum anyway.
Isn't there an Option 3 here, where someone does accept that OOTP will be released in June but doesn't purchase it?

Old 05-20-2011, 04:16 AM   #214
Captain Walrus
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
OOTP 12 being delayed until March 2002
Hell yes! I get the game 9 years ago!

ALSO
Captain Walrus's All-Timers League Quick-Start: HERE
A 48-team league featuring the all-time greatest players in the Majors. Players' ratings are based on their 6 best major league seasons, neutralized.
Captain Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 AM   #215
eborix
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Don't believe that I was looking for you, or anyone to feel sorry for me. My thoughts are that perhaps Markus will read my post an know that there is one more person that is disappointed that ootp isnt released near OD each year.

I also wanted to point out that with the reports of such great success of iootp, the possibility that the pc version will become the stepchild and receive only a fraction of the resources each year. Only time will tell.
eborix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #216
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I also wanted to point out that with the reports of such great success of iootp, the possibility that the pc version will become the stepchild and receive only a fraction of the resources each year.
Yes, there are red flags there for sure. Money talks.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #217
Henry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Don't believe that I was looking for you, or anyone to feel sorry for me. My thoughts are that perhaps Markus will read my post an know that there is one more person that is disappointed that ootp isnt released near OD each year.

I also wanted to point out that with the reports of such great success of iootp, the possibility that the pc version will become the stepchild and receive only a fraction of the resources each year. Only time will tell.
I think it's folly to think Markus isn't aware a number of people are "disappointed that OOTP isn't released near OD each year". In the 10 years (let me repeat that, 10 years!) I have been here, those people have made that abundantly clear every Spring. And after 10 years, Markus is still trying to meet that expectation because he knows that would be ONE less issue discussed on the forum.

The difference with the rest of us is we see the late releases as worth the ultimate game and the price. Call us apologists, or for that matter any name you wish to label us with, but the bottom line is it's OUR group that pays each and every year with minimum complaining and keeps Markus in business. There's no escaping that small fact.

As far as iOOTP is concerned, it's a business decision - to increase cash flow and stay viable. I am also sure Markus has no intention of dropping the main product - he has even said as much. Can things change? Of course they can. Life changes and we all go on. Personally, I don't think any iPad game other than Angry Birds can sustain it's developer with no other income.

Maybe the real question is I, and the other "apologists" will still be here (god willing) possibly waiting for version 22 in May 10 years from now. Will you?
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #218
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

As I mentioned to another developer who was upset about sales last year. Why release something when the season is half over? If you want people to buy your game release it when everyone is excited for the upcoming baseball season. I'll never understand why OOTP doesnt push harder for a March release. I would think good business sense would say that sales will be higher when more people are excited about the upcoming season.

I didnt purchase last year for the first time since OOTP5. Was considering purchasing again however once June 20th roles around and the first patch it released it will be damn near football season.(if there is a season)

It really should become a priority for this game to be released prior to opening day. Pirates and Royals fans dont care about baseball after April

Good luck with the release.

Last edited by jbergey22; 05-20-2011 at 09:12 AM.
jbergey22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #219
HH20xx convert
Minors (Triple A)

Markus has plenty of feedback on release timing. This year's release is what it is, and complaining now will do nothing but encourage a too-quick beta test and buggy release, which none of us want.

Markus has stated that OOTP 13 will be released prior to Opening Day 2012, so I think he has heard us. Neither the 'apologists' nor the impatient could argue with a quality release on the time frame Markus has promised for next year, so...................

Everyone who wants an opening day release (including me), should plan on hitting the message boards around 2/1/12, reminding Markus of his commitment and asking for release details, screen shots, feature requests, etc. Everything before then is just venting and will not change anything.
HH20xx convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #220
fintach
Major Leagues

Quote:
I pre-ordered 12, the first version I have pre-ordered because I discovered the game with version 11. (Full disclosure: I bought Season Ticket 2003 in a store and still have my copy, but it didn't grab me at the time. I forgot I had it until I ran across it a few months ago.)

I pre-ordered for two reasons:

1) The $10 I saved is like giving me an excuse to go out and buy a book or three. Gee, twist my arm.

2) That they offered a prize raffle for those who pre-ordered suggested to me that the company benefits from pre-orders. Now I don't know if that has to do with liquidity or quarterly profits or planning for the year or some other aspect of the business, but then I've never run a business.

Saving money while helping OOTPD sounded good, so I pre-ordered. I feel no need for sympathy, myself. I look forward to the features that have already been announced. The release date question doesn't bother me.

History:
Portland Purple Knights of the USBL: 1x NL Champs
1970-74 Berkeley Free Radicals of the BBL: 4x Division Title, 3x LCS, 2x Left Coast Cup Champions
2011 Portland River Dragons of the SPL: 1x Division Title
2011 Las Vegas Coyotes (MLB): half season before DH bored me to death.
fintach is offline   Reply With Quote