Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
jerryb1961
Minors (Single A)

Second-Best Baseball Sim?

Okay, it's a given that everyone's choice here for the best BB sim of all time is the OOTP series, culminating in v19 (so far).

But what's the second best?

I still play La Russa Oldtime Baseball, as well as Front Page Sports BB:98, and even Earl Weaver II. I also play APBA Broadcast Blast almost daily, just listening to the computer play against itself.

Whaddya y'all think? What's the second best?

Last edited by jerryb1961; 12-07-2018 at 09:26 PM.
jerryb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Ootp18
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #3
Grim Madder
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I like the replay games as well. I think when you watch OOTP play by play very game of the season, it can feel a little scripted at times. Watching the replay games like Action PC! baseball or Replay Baseball PC are pretty immersive. However, the ability in OOTP to build a franchise is unmatched
Grim Madder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #4
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

if we count card games, Clutch Baseball 2018

if not, probably BrokenBat
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Madder View Post
I like the replay games as well. I think when you watch OOTP play by play very game of the season, it can feel a little scripted at times. Watching the replay games like Action PC! baseball or Replay Baseball PC are pretty immersive. However, the ability in OOTP to build a franchise is unmatched
Replay is my choice.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I use to like Baseball Mogul back in the day but that had to be over a decade+ ago. Probably close to 15 years I bet. Not even sure if its in development now or whatever happened to it.

It did have a slight golden era I think some console games were buying the engine to incorporate it into their console baseball arcade sim game. Maybe a PlayStation game. Can't really remember only that it was probably within the games first 5-7 years of launch. Think it came out around 97 or 98
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Ootp 17. Orcin stole my first choice. Lol.

Last edited by Zorro; 12-15-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
drksd4848
All Star Starter

I would say if you could scare up a Commodore 64 or find a C64 emulator, then Micro League Baseball.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #9
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
I would say if you could scare up a Commodore 64 or find a C64 emulator, then Micro League Baseball.
Wow, That was a wonderful game. First PC game that I ever owned as a baseball league. I still remember that Commodore 64 humming away.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #10
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I use to like Baseball Mogul back in the day but that had to be over a decade+ ago. Probably close to 15 years I bet. Not even sure if its in development now or whatever happened to it.
If it wasn't for me discovering OOTP in 2010, I would have probably continued on with Mogul games until I realized it didn't fulfill my desires.

I did look at sportsmogul.com last night actually because I was curious about the advancement of BM and FM. I actually discovered FM first (bought the original Football Mogul for $10 at Gamestop in 2001 and put in countless of hours creating the XFL), then BM. They still make both games. They now have a 40-man roster for the game, still with statistical history. They now promote that all players have MiLB stats (The way they do it of course, not being the team but just shows R, Short-A, A, AA, AAA).

I remember someone telling me on their own forums that if I wanted a full in-depth game, OOTP was where it was at and BM was just a simple GM level for basic beginners.
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
maineyankee7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post

Loved the 64 and loved Micro League.
maineyankee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #12
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
If it wasn't for me discovering OOTP in 2010, I would have probably continued on with Mogul games until I realized it didn't fulfill my desires.

I did look at sportsmogul.com last night actually because I was curious about the advancement of BM and FM. I actually discovered FM first (bought the original Football Mogul for $10 at Gamestop in 2001 and put in countless of hours creating the XFL), then BM. They still make both games. They now have a 40-man roster for the game, still with statistical history. They now promote that all players have MiLB stats (The way they do it of course, not being the team but just shows R, Short-A, A, AA, AAA).

I remember someone telling me on their own forums that if I wanted a full in-depth game, OOTP was where it was at and BM was just a simple GM level for basic beginners.
This is how I looked at BM as well. I started all this with OOTP Season Ticket. While fun it was very difficult to learn at first. Not very Pick up and play friendly. So I then seen BM and played that for a year or so. It was great for learning the ropes about GM games. Then OOTP 6.5 came and ITP came and I stayed OOTP since.

The only other game I tried out was puresim which was a pretty good game.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #13
Monkei
Bat Boy

I started off back in the day with APBA baseball, dice and cards ... excellent
Monkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #14
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

I would say that Action PC Baseball is my second favorite. It seems to complement OOTP quite well.

Now, that being said, what I REALLY wish for in a future edition of OOTP is an announcer. I am a HUGE fan of APBA Baseball for Windows and Ernie Harwell's announcing provides an immersion that no other game can match. So, imagine OOTP's power, flexibility, and graphic beauty coupled with, say, Jon Miller calling the games!
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #15
rdomico
All Star Reserve

For its time, Earl Weaver II was the best ever.
rdomico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #16
bailey
Hall Of Famer

For solo play I got the most value out of Pure Sim 2004.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #17
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Baseball Mogul, probably. But it's not like the old days where there were probably 4 or 5 different PC simulations for baseball floating around.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #18
BronxBombers7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

#1OOTP XX (followed by previous versions)
#2 Action! Baseball
BronxBombers7 is offline   Reply With Quote