Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #1
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Trade AI

I haven't bought the game, so that's why I'm asking.

How is the trade engine in everyone's opinion so far?
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Smetana
All Star Starter

Better than last year.

Still far from perfect. Coding trade AI to be realistic, I've been told, is like the holy grail of manager sims.

When I play, i actually change the "Trade Frequency" down to "5" most of the time. I turn it up to about "40" the week before the trading deadline and the week before the entry draft. Works well for me.

I'd like to see the game mimic real-life trading frequency (more deals at certain times of year) without having to push a slider.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
umwoz
Minors (Single A)

Largely very good, but it's worth playing in commisioner mode for the one oddball lopsided deal that happens every couple years.
umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Can you make those changes in Challenge Mode?

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
Can you make those changes in Challenge Mode?
No, because you can't edit leagues, players, or teams
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
No, because you can't edit leagues, players, or teams
Thanks. That's what I thought.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 10-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
MK1527
Bat Boy

Improved over FHM4, that's for sure. It feels more realistic to me, so far.
MK1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
tk43
Minors (Triple A)

If FHM4 got a 2 out of 10, this gets 3 out of 10 from me. it is improved but only slightly. I do understand that it is next to impossible to please people on this front and a certain code/rule has to be applied
I still like the game and enjoy playing it...

I'm starting year 3 with the Pens and I already have Laine, Boeser, Barkov, Provorov, Rantanen, Matthew Tkachuk, Klingberg, Lindholm and Lowry on the team all through trades.

Gone are Schulz, Maata, Dumolin, Jarry, Olesiak, Rust, Brassard, Sheenan, and in the last off season Letang & Malkin both aged 33...

I don't have a large prospect pool left, but in fairness with that talent on the team not many will have a chance for a top 6 spot on O or top 4 on D...

Some free agent/resignings are very realistic ( Hall 10.5mil/ 6years NJ Devils, Holtby 9.5mil/6 years to Blues ) and then you get Pietrangelo for 3 years on 4.7mil a year ( at 30 years ) and it feels like you are back to the beginning....

The bridge contracts are a massive disappointment to me for established star players (Matthews, Laine, Provorov) when in real life you get an Ehlers or Pastrnak on long term deals for top dollar. ( I do get that there is a hard cap in the game, shouldn't matter too much for those guys )

The fact that there is no buyers and sellers at the deadline is what i'm missing most... rental players, aging guys chasing the cup...

The Limited NTC is good but it would be nice to know what teams will your player be willing to go to rather than clicking through everyone of them just for 1 or 2 where you don't get the "player is using his no trade clause" pop up.

It would be cool if the draft actually stopped and a trade was announced rather than get a few news reports after it.

I only came across one unrealistic trade in the 2 years and that was Buffalo sending Dahlin after only 5 months to the Panthers for a 2nd rounder (i'm really just ragging that i didn't do the trade myself :-) )
tk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
handsome
Minors (Rookie Ball)

...I've simmed 5 seasons in commissioner mode now and NOT one 1st round pick has been traded in the NHL...everything is great, except the trade AI which is a real game breaker for me.
handsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #10
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk43 View Post
If FHM4 got a 2 out of 10, this gets 3 out of 10 from me. it is improved but only slightly. I do understand that it is next to impossible to please people on this front and a certain code/rule has to be applied
I still like the game and enjoy playing it...

I'm starting year 3 with the Pens and I already have Laine, Boeser, Barkov, Provorov, Rantanen, Matthew Tkachuk, Klingberg, Lindholm and Lowry on the team all through trades.

Gone are Schulz, Maata, Dumolin, Jarry, Olesiak, Rust, Brassard, Sheenan, and in the last off season Letang & Malkin both aged 33...

I don't have a large prospect pool left, but in fairness with that talent on the team not many will have a chance for a top 6 spot on O or top 4 on D...

Some free agent/resignings are very realistic ( Hall 10.5mil/ 6years NJ Devils, Holtby 9.5mil/6 years to Blues ) and then you get Pietrangelo for 3 years on 4.7mil a year ( at 30 years ) and it feels like you are back to the beginning....

The bridge contracts are a massive disappointment to me for established star players (Matthews, Laine, Provorov) when in real life you get an Ehlers or Pastrnak on long term deals for top dollar. ( I do get that there is a hard cap in the game, shouldn't matter too much for those guys )

The fact that there is no buyers and sellers at the deadline is what i'm missing most... rental players, aging guys chasing the cup...

The Limited NTC is good but it would be nice to know what teams will your player be willing to go to rather than clicking through everyone of them just for 1 or 2 where you don't get the "player is using his no trade clause" pop up.

It would be cool if the draft actually stopped and a trade was announced rather than get a few news reports after it.

I only came across one unrealistic trade in the 2 years and that was Buffalo sending Dahlin after only 5 months to the Panthers for a 2nd rounder (i'm really just ragging that i didn't do the trade myself :-) )

As i´m your dynasty thread i can tell you:
1) stacking the team as you did it doesn´t guarantee cups, which you already learned in season 2
2) The Pietrangelo deal isn´t thaaaat bad as the cap is STATIC and therefore if players would demand real life (like Nylander living in Fantasyland and demanding around 8mil per anum) salaries, every team woluld hit a cap crunch within 2 seasons
3) If your current roster players develop relatively normal, there´s no chance to keep it together in the next 2-3 years - during intensive Beta testing none of Provorov, Barkov, Laine, Rabtanen signed below 7-8 mil/y in their prime

A good trade engine is also one the major points for myself but 3/10 is too low. Compared to the earlier iterations of the game i´d give FHM5 a 5-6/10.
It still has a long way to go regarding trade AI, contracts, retaining salary, etc. but they´re on a good way imho.

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsome View Post
...I've simmed 5 seasons in commissioner mode now and NOT one 1st round pick has been traded in the NHL...everything is great, except the trade AI which is a real game breaker for me.

Just curious - do you also play OOTP Baseball?
If yes, how´s the quality of the trade engine there?

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 10-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #12
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
The trade engine in OOTP baseball is amazing actually. You have so many options in that game it's crazy. OOTP is so good it's ruined me to all other sport sim games because none of them compare. If FHM 5 was as good as OOTP i would pay hundreds of dollars for it since hockey is my favorite sport by far. If you've never played it Duranium i highly recommend it. It has a bit of a learning curve but once you figure everything out it's amazing.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #13
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyal83 View Post
The trade engine in OOTP baseball is amazing actually. You have so many options in that game it's crazy. OOTP is so good it's ruined me to all other sport sim games because none of them compare. If FHM 5 was as good as OOTP i would pay hundreds of dollars for it since hockey is my favorite sport by far. If you've never played it Duranium i highly recommend it. It has a bit of a learning curve but once you figure everything out it's amazing.

Based on your reply i´d buy it in a heartbeat, lol.
The problem is - Baseball is the one sport from across the ocean that never got me, that means i don´t have a f....g clue about the rules, etc.
The one thing i know is you have to get your runners back home while reaching the bases.
Seriously, that´s all i know

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 10-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #14
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Based on your reply i´d buy it in a heartbeat, lol.
The problem is - Baseball is the one sport from across the ocean that never got me, that means i don´t have a f....g clue about the rules, etc.
The one thing i know is you have to get your runners back home while reaching the bases.
Seriously, that´s all i know
I only knew the basics but not much more since i don't even watch baseball, it's a little slow paced for me to watch on tv. The first time i played i got over whelmed and didn't play it for a awhile but once i did again i was happy i did. I'd give it a solid 9 to 9.5/10. I had to learn as i went. I did a lot of googling when i first started but i would highly recommend it as it's the best sim game i've ever played and like i said i'm not even into baseball but i am a bit of a stats nerd and this has more stats then you can wrap your head around. Oh and you can basically customize everything in commissioner mode. Player contract demands are pretty realistic as well. Your 1 star player putting big numbers but only making a million dollars? Well be prepared for him to be asking for a big money and maybe a long contract if he's still young. Depends on his greed level as well.

Last edited by krownroyal83; 10-10-2018 at 02:33 PM.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #15
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
I can weigh in here. Playing in Challenge Mode, its pretty, well, challenging. The big issue with OOTP is how ALL teams value high priced contracts. Teams that are at the tops of their division will usually give up their top players for relatively reasonable prices, but other than that, building trades, getting feedback and shopping players seems pretty solid to me, and I'm a 16 year player of the game.

That said, I DO police myself with deals. For example: in my Phillies dynasty (shameless plug) I made a deal with the Red Sox for Mookie Betts when they found themselves a good number of games out of first place and the wild card. Personally, I didnt think they asked for nearly enough, so I threw a prospect into the deal to balance things out.

To put it all in hockey terms, if FHM5 Peter Chiarelli offered me a lopsided deal, I might accept it on sight. If David Poile or Glen Sather offered me the same deal, I might throw a guy in to make it "lore friendly."

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 10-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #16
Colorado
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk43 View Post

Is this completely not included in the game???
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #17
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Is this completely not included in the game???
There's no explicit list of buyers and sellers, but yes, the AI has win-now and rebuild modes and is aware of things like impending expiring contracts and values players accordingly.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #18
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
I can weigh in here. Playing in Challenge Mode, its pretty, well, challenging. The big issue with OOTP is how ALL teams value high priced contracts. Teams that are at the tops of their division will usually give up their top players for relatively reasonable prices, but other than that, building trades, getting feedback and shopping players seems pretty solid to me, and I'm a 16 year player of the game.

That said, I DO police myself with deals. For example: in my Phillies dynasty (shameless plug) I made a deal with the Red Sox for Mookie Betts when they found themselves a good number of games out of first place and the wild card. Personally, I didnt think they asked for nearly enough, so I threw a prospect into the deal to balance things out.

To put it all in hockey terms, if FHM5 Peter Chiarelli offered me a lopsided deal, I might accept it on sight. If David Poile or Glen Sather offered me the same deal, I might throw a guy in to make it "lore friendly."

I´m doing the throw-ins as well except when trading with Flyers, Caps & Rangers - as a Pens fan i wouldn´t give them a free glass of water even if they were on fire, it´s just not possible

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 10-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #19
tk43
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
As i´m your dynasty thread i can tell you:
1) stacking the team as you did it doesn´t guarantee cups, which you already learned in season 2
2) The Pietrangelo deal isn´t thaaaat bad as the cap is STATIC and therefore if players would demand real life (like Nylander living in Fantasyland and demanding around 8mil per anum) salaries, every team woluld hit a cap crunch within 2 seasons
3) If your current roster players develop relatively normal, there´s no chance to keep it together in the next 2-3 years - during intensive Beta testing none of Provorov, Barkov, Laine, Rabtanen signed below 7-8 mil/y in their prime

A good trade engine is also one the major points for myself but 3/10 is too low. Compared to the earlier iterations of the game i´d give FHM5 a 5-6/10.
It still has a long way to go regarding trade AI, contracts, retaining salary, etc. but they´re on a good way imho.
I'm really hope you are right! The next few years will tell if me upgrading my GM negotiating skills to 20 helped me keep the team together...
tk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #20
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Some of the trades TK43 posted in his Penguins dynasty, and some of the deals he told us about in his Oiler dynasty have me thinking the AI isn't good enough this year.

For the player to go out and acquire young stars for futures that don't in hopes that those futures one day will add up to what they give up make no sense.

When you run a team, you want to be able to acquire Laines, Rantanens, Marners, Provorovs. But for me, i don't want to feel like im taking advantage of the CPU. After what I've seen, i can't say that.

I understand the developers are doing their best, and won't stop improving, so take this as constructive criticism. It's not good enough yet. I, for one, can't get a game where i feel like I'm that much superior to the AI.
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote