Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:12 AM   #41
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Well, I put my new perfect Boggs in and he went 0-4 in his first game. So I guess the OP is right here. I should probably sell the card quick.
You can't have my stuff anymore

JK
Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria
Old 05-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #42
Eric
All Star Starter

Wow. Somebody changing their viewpoint in an online thread. That’s rarer than pulling a Perfect card.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #43
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Ironically, this too is an error that multiple people make.

There was never any common held belief that the earth was flat, at least since the time of the Ancient Greeks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

I saw some dumb movie that Columbus was trying to explain to people and prove that the earth was round. Boy did that ever grind my gears.

BTW, in terms of this thread... I've also seen lots of cards put up big numbers in the first few games after adding them. So it all evens out.
I do not argue your premise one way or the other but your citation is worthless. Wikipedia is not a credible source for any term paper or scientific study. Wikipedia states this themselves. stating the reason. It can be changed by anyone. A better citation would be
https://www.loc.gov/collections/find...-and-cosmology

Last edited by Kushiel; 05-29-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #44
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
I do not argue your premise one way or the other but your citation is worthless. Wikipedia is not a credible source for any term paper or scientific study. Wikipedia states this themselves. stating the reason. It can be changed by anyone.
Believe me, I know you don't cite Wikipedia in an academic paper or something. But it's perfectly fine to link it to introduce a topic or idea.

Here's Atlas holding up the earth from the 2nd Century if you want more.

Sorry for sidetracking this thread, but I feel it's my own personal crusade to stop people from thinking that our civilization ever thought the world was flat.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #45
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Believe me, I know you don't cite Wikipedia in an academic paper or something. But it's perfectly fine to link it to introduce a topic or idea.

Here's Atlas holding up the earth from the 2nd Century if you want more.

Sorry for sidetracking this thread, but I feel it's my own personal crusade to stop people from thinking that our civilization ever thought the world was flat.
I added a better citation from the Library of Congress, I understand your crusade; but being married to a school marm Wiki citation is one of mine.

Last edited by Kushiel; 05-29-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #46
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushiel View Post
...being married to a school marm wiki citation...
phrasing!
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #47
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
phrasing!

Objection! Leading the witness on direct examination!
Old 05-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #48
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I had no idea that flat Earth deniers were such a hot topic. You would think that I had brought up climate change.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #49
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I put my new perfect Boggs in and he went 0-4 in his first game. So I guess the OP is right here. I should probably sell the card quick.
Glad I didn't sell... after 15 games, his slash line is .379/.425/.515.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #50
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Wade Boggs started hitting.... who'd a thunk it????
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #51
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I had no idea that flat Earth deniers were such a hot topic. You would think that I had brought up climate change.
Or abortion or religion or politics or *head explodes*
Old 05-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #52
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
I finally bought a diamond Kiner, and he performed well in the first few games, so hopefully it has merely been an aberration. I mainly posted the thread because what I was noticing is that somewhere around the 75OVR mark there was a clear divide. Above that line they would play terrible (and I mean God-awful, doubling their average would almost get them to the Mendoza line, dumpster-fire terrible) for 20-ish games, and below that line they would play like the golds and diamonds should. Granted, they eventually reverted to the mean, but initially it was causing me to jump ship on investments early. They were so bad the one player was actually causing losing streaks.
Nonetheless, hopefully the Kiner will stop the streak so to speak. All I can do is keep my eyes open to confirm it was just a strange, random chance kind of thing.
Maybe the problem is buying players like Kiner. There are 2 bronze and 19 silver players offensively better than Kiner not to mention all the golds which I'm not counting.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:52 AM   #53
joehart
All Star Starter

As I mentioned a while ago too, there are lots and lots of lower level pitchers (going all the way to Bronze and Silver) that take the strength away from Kiner (and similar players). So any investment into players with no contact and high strikeout rate is likely to produce lots of ups and downs throughout the season (like 0-10 hitting).

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:52 AM   #54
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
Maybe the problem is buying players like Kiner. There are 2 bronze and 19 silver players offensively better than Kiner not to mention all the golds which I'm not counting.
What?? I should pay attention to more than just overall rating???
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:21 AM   #55
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Do you realize that at one time everyone agreed that the Earth was flat? Hearing the same thing over and over does not make it true. It just means that multiple people are making the same error.
when i see 6 teams with larry dierker in my league (BZ) he is G83, and he is leading in wins and era and Ks on 5 of the 6 teams in a league with higher golds and diamonds, then YES something is up
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:43 PM   #56
KWhit
Major Leagues

I added 84 OVR Al Kaline last night. In his first 11 starts he's batting .419, with 4 HR, 1.267 OPS, and 243 OPS+.

He scored a run in his first 9 games. I'd say he's off to a pretty good start in the Diamond League.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #57
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I added 84 OVR Al Kaline last night. In his first 11 starts he's batting .419, with 4 HR, 1.267 OPS, and 243 OPS+.

He scored a run in his first 9 games. I'd say he's off to a pretty good start in the Diamond League.
I added diamond betts in bronze league his first 33 games were .179/.215/.297, -.3WAR, OPS+ of 31. Diamond Betts. In Bronze...
I'm used to it by now but seriously it's bronze league. * Sigh*