Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

The structure of dynasty reports

I didnt want to ask this question to Westheim or others with dynasty reports because I didnt want to ask the question in the middle of their consistency.

My question is...how do you guys put together such lengthy entries time after time?? Do you write full reports while games are going on and/or after they're over? Do you make long notes in shorthand? How do compile everything and give such detailed reports??
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #2
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Because there are so many different styles of dynasty, i would suggest PMing the guys whose work you admire most. The guys i follow on the dynasty boards have always been helpful.

My plan to sim a month at time; and then go back and write stories about what i find. With OOTP's box scores, game logs and now highlights and replays, it's not hard to recreate a game using a little imagination.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:28 AM   #3
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

All my weekly updates are born from this stupendously simple template that is totally easy to fill with life:

Quote:
Raccoons (-) vs. (-)

In other news

Complaints and stuff

Fun Fact:
The main section with the game recaps basically writes itself top to bottom with the opposing team's key stats and facts, the opposing starters for the series, and then game by game with the lineups and the crucial game events, including some select random madness and some choice words of encouragement to certain scum- ... players afterwards, y'know, should they bat 1-for-27... I write the recaps as the game is in progress.

The news section is drawn from the news the game itself produces, and from other interesting things that didn't get a news item, but for the latter I go over the week's line scores and box scores only after I finished playing the week for the Critters.

And the last section is really just for the septic outflow that didn't fit in anywhere else, y'know, where to deport certain unproductive players to, which limbs require amputation, and this and that player was so much better when he was on the other team, and so on.

Critical to the rounding-off of the whole experience is the Fun Fact at the bottom, which has to be a fact that is usually bad for the Raccoons at least at second glance (although exceptions can occur for the anniversary of a Raccoons no-hitter f.e.). This is often the last item I produce for the post, except if things develop during the week that are quite definitely this week's fun fact. Like that one was:

Quote:
Fun Fact: The Canadiens' Alex Torres and John Calfee are the first team mates to both slug for three home runs in a game, in the same season, against the same team.

YES OF COURSE AGAINST THE ****ING RACCOONS.
I have a wealth of data in an Excel sheet I have been keeping at the side all the time the league has gone on and that is not readily available in the game to also draw from if nothing really happens all week long. "Hey, 29 years ago this week Obscure Player hit for the cycle in a 9-2 loss to the Gold Sox!"

Plus, for all of this, it helps tremendously with producing dynasty threads if you are any or several of the following:

- adept at writery
- bat**** crazy
- self-deprecating
- ready to go where it hurts

I claim to be batting .750 for these.

But now I must close, I have to spin the narrative further, including the random bits of madness, like my GM persona being totally oblivious to the fact that the intern is doing the hot backup infielder from Brazil.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:51 AM   #4
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Mine is pretty simple, and doesn't get much traffic.
To be honest, I do it more for me -- so I can reference back to it in following seasons -- but there are enough people (other Cardinals fans) who follow it to make it worth while.
I do preseason roster reports and almost everything the game gives me as news as the season progresses.
I post boxscores from all my games along with a brief rundown. Winning pitcher, losing pitcher. HRs. Player of the game.
I am a control freak when it comes to my team. I am GM and manager and play out all nine innings.
When I am going good, I usually play a week of games a day. (I am retired, so I have the 3-4 hours this might take) It usually takes about 30-40 days to play out a season.
I post standings and individual statistical leaders at the end of each week and do it for the team at the end of the month.
I post a thread for each season in dynasty reports rather than one long thread. I am currently in Rink23's 2020 Cardinals: Yadi's last stand.
All of my previous season have a Rink23 reference in them if you want to check them out.

Last edited by rink23; 07-06-2018 at 03:54 AM.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
battists
Hall Of Famer

For the record, I totally admire/envy you dynasty writers. It’s not so much the skill or creativity, although that’s part of what makes them fun.

For me, the thing that I envy the most is your persistence in writing these things! I have my own personal dynasty of sorts, and I write little articles for myself and so on. But then I will go months and months without doing anything. So while I would like to publish a dynasty, doing so feels like it would just make me feel pressure that I can’t live up to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
For me, the thing that I envy the most is your persistence in writing these things! I have my own personal dynasty of sorts, and I write little articles for myself and so on. But then I will go months and months without doing anything. So while I would like to publish a dynasty, doing so feels like it would just make me feel pressure that I can’t live up to!
Agreed... I started a couple and fell away from them; I work via blog now but stumble from playing to "writing" at random. So, because I share battist's respect for Westheim and Eugene Church and everyone I say... don't waste a lot of time setting one up unless you intend to follow through.

My actual advice for writing is: even if you don't actually write a post every game or week or whatever, act like a reporter and think about/look for stories as you play. So for example instead of a boring "I traded x player for y player" analysis post after a transaction, consider seeing if your new acquisition does something interesting over his first couple games, then write about that.

You might commit to a set schedule, or you might let the stories tell you when to write. In my favorite dynasty, I aimed very roughly to write one post per series. For a big series or really fantastic one, you might write a summary story for the whole thing or separate posts for each game.

Be willing to write to keep yourself interested too; when my expansion team went bad I'd only write once per homestand/roadtrip, usually about the last game of a bad stretch. So your story would be "team lost it's nth game in a row, pitcher x didn't get out of the 5th inning for second time in homestand, player y is 2 for his last 40 AB". It helps you analyze your team and saves your time and energy for writing about the exciting stretches.

Current Project: WBAT/AABBA: Organized Base Ball And the "New Normal" World Baseball Aid Tournament 2023 trophy round underway!
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:37 AM   #7
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

My first suggestion would be to limit your dynasty league to 12-16 teams so that you can thoroughly learn the teams and the players.

I enjoyed my two small dynasty leagues (State Line League and Southern Association) better than the 64-team Islandian Pro Alliance.

It take much more time to administer and cover the IPA... and I don't know the teams and players as well as I would like.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:40 AM   #8
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

You should write a dynasty just for yourself... only you have to enjoy it... don't worry if you don't get a lot of viewers.

Writing a dynasty really helps you get fully immersed in your league.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:46 AM   #9
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

In my opinion, you should use good grammar and spelling in your dynasty report.

Also suggest good graphics: logos, jerseys and caps... they really enhance your dynasty report.

The best way to get really good graphics is to go to the Graphics Forum and get them produced there... they are much better than most people can do on their own using justafan's wonderful software... however, it may take you quite a bit of time to get them produced... the Graphics Forum is not as active as it was 2-3 years ago... many of the fine graphics gurus are no longer active there... but it is possible to get some graphics done, if you are very patient.

You should see cephasjames for already-created logos, jerseys and caps... that is the easiest way to get good graphics... he has over 5,000 nicknames and logos on the OOTP Mods Forum (Graphics).

Last edited by Eugene Church; 07-14-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:59 AM   #10
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

This is my basic format to cover my dynasty reports:

I sim the regular season... play out the All-Star Game and give a detailed recap of the game... in the playoffs I sim the first six innings and play out the remainder of the game.

Detailed preseason preview of each team in each division, ranking them first to last.

Recap each month of the regular season, but only in general terms... I don't recap each team in detail until the end of the regular season... I give recaps of April, May, June, July, and August.

Preview the playoffs and rank the teams from first to eighth ... cover each postseason game with a recap... it is best to write the game recaps yourself... the OOTP game recaps are poorly done and much too repetitive.

Cover all of your award winners (Best Batter, Pitcher, MVP, Golden Glovers, Best Manager)

Last edited by Eugene Church; 07-14-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
In my opinion, you should use good grammar and spelling in your dynasty report.
Side note, you should use these things in *every* walk of life!

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #12
Swami077
Minors (Double A)

I keep a word doc as a blog where I write mine up. I got the idea from reading the write ups people had done and thought it would be great for immersion. I enjoy reading them but didn’t get the sense they were all that popular so I kept it to myself. It would have depressed me if I wasn’t getting views on something I worked hard on! Haha
Swami077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Here's an old thread with tips from folks about dynasties, which is as close to the golden era of dynasty writing as there was: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=139142

I tend to write mine on the fly, when I'm in-game and just recalling what's happening. As others have said, it's easier/better to just focus on a smaller part of the universe you want to relay and then let the story build rather than trying to cover an entire universe for someone. If you can illustrate a small story well, it'll make people naturally ask questions. As others have also said, write for you and make it something you enjoy doing for yourself and to get more immersed into your game.

If you're doing it for engagement, it probably won't last that long.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 07-14-2018 at 01:40 PM.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #14
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Side note, you should use these things in *every* walk of life!

God I love you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #15
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

And one more suggestion:

Only have one dynasty or one league at a time... this will enable you to post regularly and create more possible interest and viewers.

In my opinion, daily posts are best... with a minimum of every third day.