Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
subtle
Minors (Single A)

Disabling player retirement

I can see these threads get made every few versions, but I think the question deserves to be asked, again: Would it be very difficult to have a check box for disabling player retirement?

There's already a way to disable player development, injuries, suspensions, the financial system, and the player chemistry and morale systems. At that point, you've eliminated any need for a player to retire. They will never make any money, they will never be unhappy, and their ability will never decline.

I just thought it would be fun to have a league where the players you start with can keep going as long as you want. Obviously, you can unretire players, but they will just retire, again. You could make them younger but who wants to go through an entire league and change every player's age every so often?

Maybe this feature was added somewhere in a recent version and I just can't find it?

This isn't a complaint so much as it is a request for a feature override similar to other overrides that already exist.
subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:56 AM   #2
Critical Mass
Minors (Triple A)

So then there's no new players and no draft, right? Just a league of 60-year old pot-bellied old guys playing as well as a 23-year old?
Critical Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:14 AM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtle View Post
I can see these threads get made every few versions, but I think the question deserves to be asked, again: Would it be very difficult to have a check box for disabling player retirement?

There's already a way to disable player development, injuries, suspensions, the financial system, and the player chemistry and morale systems. At that point, you've eliminated any need for a player to retire. They will never make any money, they will never be unhappy, and their ability will never decline.

I just thought it would be fun to have a league where the players you start with can keep going as long as you want. Obviously, you can unretire players, but they will just retire, again. You could make them younger but who wants to go through an entire league and change every player's age every so often?

Maybe this feature was added somewhere in a recent version and I just can't find it?

This isn't a complaint so much as it is a request for a feature override similar to other overrides that already exist.
If you set a top age it will lengthen the time a player plays as well as lowering the aging modifier. I have a test Star Wars league. Yoda is almost 900 and going strong after 6 seasons as a SS career .363 hitter.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

As others have said, this would cause massive development havoc in-game and it'd never really work well.

Status quo, you can lower your aging modifiers to .100 (which I have done in previous versions) and you can also unretire a guy whenever you feel like it, which I've also done with guys who still "seem to have it" even if it's a hall of famer who I feel like should come back at age 50 for some reason.

But I can't imagine how the game would handle a league full of aging dudes clogging the database when young guys are constantly being created too, because perpetually old guys would just end up in FA and would eventually keep retiring anyway.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Know it would be interesting. So would an Unretire all button. Also let guys unretire on their own.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
Winnipeg59
All Star Starter

This could be an opportunity for an entirely new spin-off game in the franchise!

BOOTIB
Barely Out Of The Infield Baseball
Winnipeg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Mass View Post
So then there's no new players and no draft, right? Just a league of 60-year old pot-bellied old guys playing as well as a 23-year old?
Every day is old timers day. Actually I wonder what it would look like if I played a game with retired old timers?
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I can still hit .315

My terms are as follows:

A 5 year guaranteed contract worth $12 million a year. A bowl of peaches to be keep in the dugout at all times. A $1 million dollar bonus for winning the batting crown. A new Kimber pistol each season, and one of those ultra cool memory foam pillows, also each season.

Call me when you come to your senses!

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:58 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
My terms are as follows:

A 5 year guaranteed contract worth $12 million a year. A bowl of peaches to be keep in the dugout at all times. A $1 million dollar bonus for winning the batting crown. A new Kimber pistol each season, and one of those ultra cool memory foam pillows, also each season.

Call me when you come to your senses!
Attached Images
Image Image 
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
Critical Mass
Minors (Triple A)

Yeah, disabling retirement is bad enough. Disabling death is only possible for GMs.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
Yoda
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
If you set a top age it will lengthen the time a player plays as well as lowering the aging modifier. I have a test Star Wars league. Yoda is almost 900 and going strong after 6 seasons as a SS career .363 hitter.
Shortshop you have made me, hmmm? SHORT? Think I do not see, what you did? Hmmmm?

When 900 years old you reach, SHORT you will be too.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #12
subtle
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Thanks. This was the kind of thing I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
As others have said, this would cause massive development havoc in-game and it'd never really work well.
I can't see why anyone would disable retirement unless they were also disabling the player development system so it wouldn't be an issue.

You can turn off injuries and fatigue and your players will all play 162 games, which is why I didn't see a reason why, if retirement is just a dice roll like getting injured, we couldn't turn that off, too.

Last edited by subtle; 07-11-2018 at 09:56 AM.
subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #13
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I play larger leagues and most times more players retire than can be replaced and I will have many teams play with incomplete rosters(that's one reason I have suggested a league roster evaluation page).

Most of teams with incomplete rosters finish at the bottom of their league because I don't have time to check every teams roster. I usually stumple across a team that is shorthanded and then fill their roster.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
So a league of T-800's? Sounds like Skynet is taking over OOTP
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #15
Critical Mass
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtle View Post
You can turn off injuries and fatigue and your players will all play 162 games, which is why I didn't see a reason why, if retirement is just a dice roll like getting injured, we couldn't turn that off, too.
How is retirement a dicroll? Injuries and death are a diceroll. The trick is to have the largest gap between date of Retirement and date of Death