Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
AceRock86
Bat Boy

Ballpark Factors

I have no idea on how to edit these so there are realistic to what I want, as the numbers aren't making much sense to me.

The ratings are

AVG OVR: 1.018
Doubles: .882
Triples:.930
HR OVR: 1.069

I've got no idea what any of that means. I want to make my ballpark play fair, and if anything even pitcher favored. So if you could tell me what those numbers mean, or what "average" for a fair park, that'd be great.
AceRock86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRock86 View Post
I have no idea on how to edit these so there are realistic to what I want, as the numbers aren't making much sense to me.

The ratings are

AVG OVR: 1.018
Doubles: .882
Triples:.930
HR OVR: 1.069

I've got no idea what any of that means. I want to make my ballpark play fair, and if anything even pitcher favored. So if you could tell me what those numbers mean, or what "average" for a fair park, that'd be great.
They are basically a percentage adjustment to what would occur in a "neutral" ballpark. For example, BAs in that park would tend to be about 1.8% higher than in a neutral part. Doubles would be lower. It's an adjustment to probability, not a control over what actually happens.

A neutral park would have 1.000 in all dimensions. There is actually an option in the Action menu when you are in the edit ballpark window, which neutralizes all ballparks.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Dr. Wu
Minors (Single A)

A neutral park would have ratings of 1.000 for all the factors - it would play perfectly fair.

The higher the number, the more likely that event is; conversely, the lower the number, the less likely that event is.

In the sample ballpark you gave the factors for, batters would be very slightly more likely to get a hit than in a perfectly neutral park, and they would hit slightly more home runs over the course of the season. However, they wouldn't hit many doubles at all, compared to a neutral park, and wouldn't hit as many triples, either.

One thing to keep in mind when adjusting the factors is that the AVG OVR line affects all hits: singles, but also doubles, triples, and home runs. If the AVG OVR is set very high (for a hitter's park) or very low (for a pitcher's park), you may want to run some test sims to see if you should adjust the other factors in the opposite way, because if you have a low AVG OVR and a low HR OVR, it's going to be an extreme pitcher's park with very few home runs hit. If you have a low AVG OVR and an above-average HR OVR, you'll still have a pitcher's park, but the home run totals won't be extremely low.
Dr. Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
AceRock86
Bat Boy

Didn't want to start another thread for it, but I've got another question. In a fictional league, if I edit a player almost completely, his "old self" will have no effect correct? For ex. I noticed I had too many great 1B. So if I changed one of them into a speedy shortstop, there should be no problems correct? Thanks.
AceRock86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRock86 View Post
Didn't want to start another thread for it, but I've got another question. In a fictional league, if I edit a player almost completely, his "old self" will have no effect correct? For ex. I noticed I had too many great 1B. So if I changed one of them into a speedy shortstop, there should be no problems correct? Thanks.
Correct
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote