Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
9tails
Bat Boy

Grokking The Game

I'm still enjoying the heck out of OOTP9. And I've gotten more experience and now I'm beginning to really wonder about how OOTP9 reaches the results that it does.

I'm a big follower of sabermetrics in real-life baseball and I bring a lot of that sensibility to my OOTP play. But, of course, the underlying 'realities' of RL baseball may be quite different from those in OOTP. I'm very curious to know what's been researched and found out about how Contact, Power, Eye, Stuff, Movement, and the others turn into runs and wins.

For example, I know that in RL, patient hitters often hit for more power, because they'll wait for a good, driveable pitch. But impatient hitters strike out less and, usually, hit for better averages, because they put the ball in play and don't get behind in the count and leave themselves as vulnerable to strikeouts. As a good seamhead, I love me some patient hitters. But how well does this model translate to OOTP9? Or, to ask the same question a different way, what is the simulation structure of an at-bat in OOTP? Does a batter need to make contact (using their Contact rating) before their Gap and Pow ratings come into play? How does a high Eye rating change the shape of a player's outcomes over the course of a season? How do Gap and Pow interact with a pitcher's groundball rate?

And other questions of that nature. Thanks in advance.
9tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
JackRules1
Minors (Triple A)

Sorry 9tails, I can not help you one bit here, but was hoping you could explain what 'grokking" is.
JackRules1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

I like the term, now that I looked it up:

Urban Dictionary: grok

9tails, your question had a pretty good run on the General Discussions board. This board is for noobs and preliminary, general advice (IMHO, of course) and your question is relatively arcane and difficult to answer (so much so that I decline it myself). Therefore, so I would suggest bumping your original thread to revive discussion and solicit more opinions.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
9tails
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRules1 View Post
Sorry 9tails, I can not help you one bit here, but was hoping you could explain what 'grokking" is.
Wikipedia has a good explanation of the origin and meaning of the term;Grok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
9tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tails View Post
Wikipedia has a good explanation of the origin and meaning of the term;Grok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I hope you get more responses to your questions so we can all grok OOTP.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote