Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
9tails
Bat Boy

Tweaking Player Skill Distribution Curve?

I've been playing with fictional leagues, and I've noticed that there seem to be a fairly serious oversupply of above-average to star level players. It seems to me like there shouldn't often be more than one or two blue-rated players at any given position in a league at any one time (one or two per two dozen teams, I suppose), and only 4ish more green players after that.

This came up when I realized that I had a 38-overall, 11 (1 to 20) Con, 10 Pow, 12 Eye, 21 Fielding Centerfield player as a reserve, that I picked up for bascially free from another team. In real-life baseball, an above-league-average hitter with Gold Glove-grade defense in centerfield would be a very valuable player, not a reserve.

I'm hoping to have a league where even the best teams need to carefully consider which mid to low tier players to use as starters to support their limited supply of high skill players.

Thinking about it while writing this post, it's not (or not just) that there are too many 5 star players, but that there are too many 4 and 4.5 star players, so that a well-run team can realisitically work to have high ratings at all positions. I'd rather have a larger gap between the very best players (very limited supply) and the main bulk of the starters in the league.
9tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tails View Post
I've been playing with fictional leagues, and I've noticed that there seem to be a fairly serious oversupply of above-average to star level players. It seems to me like there shouldn't often be more than one or two blue-rated players at any given position in a league at any one time (one or two per two dozen teams, I suppose), and only 4ish more green players after that.

This came up when I realized that I had a 38-overall, 11 (1 to 20) Con, 10 Pow, 12 Eye, 21 Fielding Centerfield player as a reserve, that I picked up for bascially free from another team. In real-life baseball, an above-league-average hitter with Gold Glove-grade defense in centerfield would be a very valuable player, not a reserve.

I'm hoping to have a league where even the best teams need to carefully consider which mid to low tier players to use as starters to support their limited supply of high skill players.

Thinking about it while writing this post, it's not (or not just) that there are too many 5 star players, but that there are too many 4 and 4.5 star players, so that a well-run team can realisitically work to have high ratings at all positions. I'd rather have a larger gap between the very best players (very limited supply) and the main bulk of the starters in the league.
I think the answer is the same as the one I posted in your other thread.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
9tails
Bat Boy

Yeah, I double posted when it took half an hour for the post to show up. i r teh noob.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tails View Post
Yeah, I double posted when it took half an hour for the post to show up. i r teh noob.
No problem. Lots of noobs do that, apparently, not realizing that their first post has to be approved by a moderator.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
9tails
Bat Boy

Yeah. After I noticed the problem, I looked around for a message to that effect, but I couldn't find one. I'd think a more prominent message that that's the cast would help.