Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #41
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastGuy View Post
Sadly, the same can be said of some first-place teams. In my opinion, that's where the issue comes into play. Yes, it sounds great to only have first-place teams qualify, but when you have an 82-80 division winner qualify, but a 102-60 second-place team not, that's an issue.
I agree unless you get creative with your playoff qualifiers. If you are working under the divisional format with a balanced schedule then the divisions can be purely cosmetic. You could award playoff berths to the top two records regardless of division standing.

I have a solo save in the game set up just like that. I like looking at regional divisions as opposed to having my standings list all teams like it was before 1969. My playoff participants are the two highest records in the league though. It becomes another storyline and stat that I track when a team out of whatever division hasn't qualified for the playoffs in x amount of years.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812

Last edited by Hrycaj; 11-17-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #42
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
I can say with high certainty that a second place team doesn't belong in the post season.
I can say with an equal amount of certainty that they do.

You could put every team in the post season if you wanted.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #43
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sadly, the same can be said of some first-place teams. In my opinion, that's where the issue comes into play. Yes, it sounds great to only have first-place teams qualify, but when you have an 82-80 division winner qualify, but a 102-60 second-place team not, that's an issue.
Won't happen if you have a schedule weighted toward games against division opponents with equal opponents outside the division. It WILL happen with the current type schedule which rather than creating a situation to measure performance is really more of a series of exhibition games against teams the home town fans want to see.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #44
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I can say with an equal amount of certainty that they do.

You could put every team in the post season if you wanted.
Not me. I don't have a mind warped like that!!!
Old 11-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #45
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Not me. I don't have a mind warped like that!!!
I'd love to see peoples' heads explode when bad team's won the World Series.
And them twisting themselves in knots trying to explain it instead of just understanding that baseball has a lot of randomness that influences the outcomes.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 11-18-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #46
Reed
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'd love to see people's explode when bad team's won the World Series.
And them twisting themselves in knots trying to explain it instead of just understanding that baseball has a lot of randomness that influences the outcomes.
Has a “bad” team ever won the World Series?
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #47
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Has a “bad” team ever won the World Series?
Has a bad team ever been in the post season?

Has a bad team ever won a series against a good team?
Old 11-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #48
Reed
All Star Starter

Quote:
Has a bad team ever been in the post season?

Has a bad team ever won a series against a good team?
I thought you were talking about “bad” teams “”winning” the World Series. IMO no bad team has ever won the World Series.

Last edited by Reed; 11-18-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #49
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
I thought you were talking about “bad” teams “”winning” the World Series. IMO no bad team has ever won the World Series.
Because no bad teams have been in the playoffs

If bad teams were allowed in the playoffs, occasionally one would win
Old 11-19-2019, 03:19 AM   #50
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1987 Twins World Champions

85 - 77

Pythagorean: 79-83
Old 11-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #51
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
1987 Twins World Champions

85 - 77

Pythagorean: 79-83
18th in position player WAR
19th in pitcher WAR
*Per FanGraphs

Below the mean but still in the middle tier of teams. So, more of an average team.

But, yes. When average teams make the playoffs they can win.

And if bad teams made the playoffs, they would, occasionally, win.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #52
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
For almost 60 years 12.5% of the teams qualified for the post season. Then for a few years 10% qualified. Then 16.67, Despite all these years of success baseball now thinks it needs 33% of the teams in the post season. This is not defensible.

Also interesting here is the implicit idea that a meaningless pre season football game is more interesting than a meaningless late season baseball game.
During those years of success, baseball was in complete control of the sports scene from March until October. College football and college basketball were the only other major national sports during much of that time.

The NFL really didn't start to make any inroads until the 60s and wasn't a serious TV competitor until later than that. NBA championship games were shown tape delayed after the 11 o'clock news well into the 70s.

The situation has changed. NFL is king of the TV sports scene, with even the draft getting wall to wall coverage for months. For national sports coverage, the beginning of the MLB season gets drowned out by March Madness and the NBA Finals, and many people tune out once pre-season starts.

That may not apply to you, it doesn't apply to me. I am a major baseball fan, don't care about NBA and watched my first full NFL game of the season this past Sunday, but I and probably you, do not speak for the rest of the country.

While baseball is still making money and attendance is OK, the demographic breakdowns and not good. MLB is pulling less and less younger fans all the time. It has almost completely lost the black audience.

I listen to a fair amount of local talk radio, in Chicago, Cincinnati and Detroit mainly. As bad as the Lions and the Bengals have been, they still become the primary topic by August if the Reds/Tigers are not in the hunt. the Cubs get attention in Chi no matter what, but even they dwindle once Da Bears are being seen on TV.

33% is, overall, a bit higher than I would like, but 2 of the teams are gone after 1 game which drops the percentage quickly to 27%. This is pretty reasonable and in line with the other major US sports.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #53
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Well, let's see.

Too many strike outs.

Too many home runs.

Too many pitching changes.

Young people not interested.

Games too long.

Poor player retention.

Multiple "always a loser" franchises.

Let's fix baseball! We'll do it by.... putting more teams in the playoffs. Yea, that's it!!!
Old 11-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #54
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Well, let's see.

Too many strike outs.

Too many home runs.

Too many pitching changes.

Young people not interested.

Games too long.

Poor player retention.

Multiple "always a loser" franchises.

Let's fix baseball! We'll do it by.... putting more teams in the playoffs. Yea, that's it!!!
I am not trying to say that the only issues that baseball has is with the playoff format, but the issue with football drowning them out is very real and has been an issue for a decade or more, at least.

I think that baseball has been working too hard to keep the purists, like me, happy. If you only look to keep the hard-core fans happy, all you will have left are hard-core fans and very few of them.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #55
WestCoastGuy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I think that baseball has been working too hard to keep the purists, like me, happy. If you only look to keep the hard-core fans happy, all you will have left are hard-core fans and very few of them.
In my opinion, not keeping the purists happy, going away from what this sport is all about with all of these ridiculous rule changes, etc., is harming the sport so much more than obsessing over attracting those who aren't currently interested in it. This is causing it to lose the dwindling fan base that it does have while not attracting others either.

What caused MLS to start to get more popular here was it eliminating ridiculous rule changes and keeping the purists happy.

But if baseball wants to continue to lose people like me, that's their right. (The only reason I have OOTP is to play historic games as I just cannot stand how the sport is played today for so many reasons.)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see how pissing off the hard-core purists is going to help the sport grow. It didn't work with MLS, and it also didn't work with the NHL.
WestCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #56
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
33% is, overall, a bit higher than I would like, but 2 of the teams are gone after 1 game which drops the percentage quickly to 27%. This is pretty reasonable and in line with the other major US sports.
33% is a lower percentage than the NFL (12/32, 37.5%) or the NBA (16/30, 53%) take to the playoffs.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #57
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But if baseball wants to continue to lose people like me, that's their right. (The only reason I have OOTP is to play historic games as I just cannot stand how the sport is played today for so many reasons.)
Yes YES YES
Old 12-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #58
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

I assume my answer to this question will get me flagged and reported, but I'd half the season .... I'd half the seasons for NHL & NBA too though, if that helps
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #59
Reed
All Star Starter

After thinking about it more and setting my own universe up, I would create 4 leagues, 8 teams in each league, each league would have a partner league which would rotate each year so you would partner with each of the other leagues once every 3 years. Regular season would be 130 games, 14 games against each in league opponent and 4 games against each partner league opponent. At regular season end, the 2nd and 3rd place would teams in each league would play a 5 game playoff with the winners advancing against their league regular season champion for a 7 game series. That winner would advance to play the winner from their partner league with that winner advancing to play against the winner of the opposite 2 leagues.
Regular season would start around April 10 and end first week in Sept.. World Series would start about 1st week in Oct.. Also move all star game to about 30 games before season end.
Advantages, Even the 5th/6th place teams can make the playoffs with 30 games to go so fan interest should still be high near season end. With 130 games the pennant races and the competition for 2nd and 3rd place will be closer with 30 games left in the season compared to a 162 game regular season. Regular season ends before football gets in high gear. Home team fans can see all the teams from the other leagues once every 3 years. First and second place teams will still play hard near season end to maintain home field advantage for the playoffs.
This will never happen because more games means more money even if it make the pennant races more boring.
Making the games themselves quicker and better is totally a different topic. The only games I have watched in the past 10 years are the World Series and some of the playoffs. Here in Chattanooga once college football starts, the talk shows stop talking about baseball. Even during the middle of summer, they talk more about football than baseball.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #60
Postman
Major Leagues

The reason we're playing in November is because MLB wildly expanded the playoffs. It used to be that the two leagues had two divisions each, and the division winners would play best of five for the pennant with the World Series being best of seven, a total of 17 postseason games max which could be played in under three weeks (ending in the month of October).

I hate that so many teams get a shot at winning it all, but a lot of fans really like it. So, I also believe that going back to 154 games is the answer.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote