Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 5 Available

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #21
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,699
Thanks: 750
Thanked 590x in 418 posts
It's not my fault that I don't play the game like everyone else.

Once you can customize everything then that's a good thing for everyone and I was looking forward too seeing more of the same and so far I haven't seen it.

I am playing OOTP19 and OOTP20 side by side and see hardly a difference.
Orioles1966 is offline  
7 thanks for this post:
braxtol (03-22-2019), cdidman (03-22-2019), Dr.K (03-22-2019), Jamee999 (03-23-2019), naturaldopamine (03-24-2019), Qrusher14242 (03-22-2019), whobob (03-25-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #22
joekoba
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2
Thanks: 11
Thanked 10x in 1 post
I've read the locked thread as well, and while it didn't seem out of line, I understand why one would want to lock the thread.

Also just wanted to add that one should give OOTP 20 a chance before writing it off after the opening day of its official release... Perhaps many expect a drastic change year after year, but to me that would be a tad unrealistic.

I for one am appreciative of this OOTP development team and their efforts year in an year out, even if there are no major changes to the game.

It's okay to feel disappointed, however perhaps adjusting expectations as well may help with this feeling, and I say this in the kindest way possible.
joekoba is offline  
10 thanks for this post:
BirdWatcher (03-22-2019), braxtol (03-22-2019), BronxBombers7 (03-22-2019), Harry Hibbs (03-22-2019), Laque11 (03-22-2019), Lukas Berger (03-22-2019), Mariner and Giants Fan (03-22-2019), radiorosco (03-25-2019), Reed (03-23-2019), tavo2311 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #23
CField17
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 49
Thanks: 17
Thanked 15x in 8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Bell View Post
Someone makes a well thought out, interesting post saying they were a tad disappointed in the new game. Other users responded that they either agreed, or disagreed, in a very constructive way.

You guys locked the post after 15 messages...

So basically, if you want to have an opinion on here, it has to be the right one!!

I've played OOTP for a long time, i've purchased OOTP, FHM, but stuff like that has me questioning whether i want to give OOTP my money anymore. I think that was a terrible decision.
I'm with you. Seemed like an attempt to censor negative opinions of the new game to me. The thread wasn't even close to anything that should've been locked in my opinion.
CField17 is offline  
2 thanks for this post:
seanstephans (03-25-2019), Shoeless' Socks (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #24
Bears5122
All Star Reserve
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 836
Thanks: 616
Thanked 68x in 38 posts
A lot of the positive changes in this years version are under the hood. Stuff people have been asking for for a long time but aren't sexy on a feature list. I'd encourage people to give it some time because you start to notice a lot of nice AI fixes as you play on.
Bears5122 is offline  
5 thanks for this post:
Dr.K (03-22-2019), Harry Hibbs (03-22-2019), justpatrick (03-23-2019), Laque11 (03-22-2019), sabrtoothtiger (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #25
BasicGuy
Major Leagues
 
BasicGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ND
Posts: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3x in 2 posts
I just read the thread in question....it was a very well written and fair point of view....also I feel every one who posted in the thread was very civilized with each other. that's a wonderful thing in this day and age. I get the fear of posts becoming negative but I also feel like you have to give people a chance to show that we can be civil and disagree with each other.

I myself am on the fence year. I will more than likely get it,but I just am waiting to see more feedback and possibly what plans there are for post release patches and content.
BasicGuy is offline  
2 thanks for this post:
CHOWDERHEAD (03-24-2019), Clavette (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #26
dave1927p
FHM Moderator
 
dave1927p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brantford, ON
Posts: 2,819
Thanks: 1,659
Thanked 1,534x in 849 posts
Playing the game, it feels like this year is alot of back-to-the-basics tweaks and adjustments in many areas. These type of changes don't have a huge impact on the way I play the game, but there are certainly a significant group that do see it more. I can see it being noticeable if you ever went back from 19 after getting use to 20.
__________________
IN 1964 THE LEAFS WON THE STANLEY CUP :: IT'S ALSO THE YEAR THE CANADIAN FLAG WAS DESIGNED...coincidence?

Last edited by dave1927p; 03-22-2019 at 06:35 PM.
dave1927p is online now  
Thank you for this post:
Dr.K (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #27
NoOne
Hall Of Famer
 
NoOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6,640
Thanks: 701
Thanked 1,806x in 1,460 posts
i'll just point out that if the stuff they did under the hood is the bulk of the changes, it may take some time to recognize those changes, and in some cases not recognizing them may be the very fix we all wanted.

this is just playing devil's advocate. the things i've always wanted overhauled are things you can't see. it's very difficult to assess that with only limited playing time.

so, i'd look at their new features and really delve into them before saying it's not much different that the year before.

in reality, you can say that nearly every year. the gui changing is irrelvant to real changes. that's just a facade that can be changed with very minimal work invovled.

i barely played 19. i'm going to start skipping a year or 2, becuase yearly changes are incrementally small. always have been. i'll start that next year, lol... it's been a year already, sort of for me.

heh, maybe i'll get to 250-300years by march 2020 on my ootp18 league. but, i can tell i am nearing the end of my playing cycle with this game. not because of anything ootp did or because of anything negative related to the baseball game in general. i've played it longer than most. it's one of the last few computer games i'll ever play, period.

don't think you are getting rid of me, yet. could be tomorrow, could be ~5 years, but it's on the downward trend, now.

with new laws in my state, i'm doing a little gardening, now. that is a surprising amount of work for ~8 plants. "tomatoes" of course... get your mind out of the gutter. it's perfectly normal to grow "tomatoes" in a tent inside your home. this is eating into my gaming entertainment time and other minor leisure type stuff. only so many hours in a day.

for the record, garden enthusiasts are clearly masochistic in nature. it's not fun, and it genuinely hurts... all over. the setup was a ton of work.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-22-2019 at 06:34 PM.
NoOne is offline  
6 thanks for this post:
CField17 (03-22-2019), Dr.K (03-24-2019), Harry Hibbs (03-22-2019), Jerry Helper (03-24-2019), pgjocki (03-22-2019), PSUColonel (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #28
byzeil
All Star Starter
 
byzeil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, US
Posts: 1,584
Thanks: 2,345
Thanked 810x in 468 posts
Just read the thread that was locked and don't agree with it being locked though I can see why it was done.

I'm a long time supporter of OOTP and Markus but to be totally honest the quickness to lock some less than positive threads (this current one and a couple regarding PT in OOT19) has me concerned and a bit bothered.

As long as the posts are civil and the opinions are reasonable (not making stuff up) both positive and critical/negative threads should be allowed. Heck, you will learn a lot more about what needs to be added/fixed/changed from people pointing out the negatives than people patting you on the back forthe good stuff.
__________________
Commissioner(2013-) of the Moneyball Union(tMBU, online league) in our 71st season (est RL 2004)
byzeil is offline  
4 thanks for this post:
Dr.K (03-24-2019), fredbeene (03-22-2019), Karl Pagel Blues (03-23-2019), seanstephans (03-25-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #29
Clavette
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 249
Thanks: 182
Thanked 127x in 75 posts
I also felt it was unnecessary to lock the post. As others have stated it was a well written constructive criticism post.

Nevertheless we all knew going into this years ootp that the main focus on changes were going to be on the perfect team portion of the game with minor tweaks to the regular ootp game.

It's no different than the fact that last years ootp was focused mainly on the 3d game play and new visuals in the regular game play
Clavette is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #30
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer
 
rudel.dietrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ZŁrich, Switzerland
Posts: 7,049
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1,003x in 571 posts
I was very disappointed that that thread was locked. It is a really bad look for the company.
But perhaps when someone points out issues with the series and does so in an intelligent and well thought out manner then it confirms what you already knew about your game and hoped no one would bring up?

When I saw the new features list and 1/3 of the 'features' were bug fixes I felt like this was a year that the team decided to rest of their laurels.


I have accused OOTP fans many times of being sycophants and I have been shouted down. Its not good for the developers to only ever hear what they want to hear. But now it seems the developers are openly encouraging that sort of behavior and only want to read certain opinions.

It was a shame to see and if this behavior continues then I will not be purchasing any future versions.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 03-22-2019 at 07:23 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline  
9 thanks for this post:
David Watts (03-22-2019), fredbeene (03-22-2019), Karl Pagel Blues (03-23-2019), naturaldopamine (03-24-2019), Orioles1966 (03-22-2019), Qrusher14242 (03-22-2019), seanstephans (03-25-2019), Shoeless' Socks (03-23-2019), whobob (03-25-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #31
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,101
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,355
Thanked 2,125x in 1,211 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I was very disappointed that that thread was locked. It is a really bad look for the company.
But perhaps when someone points out issues with the series and does so in an intelligent and well thought out manner then it confirms what you already knew about your game and hoped no one would bring up?

When I saw the new features list and 1/3 of the 'features' were bug fixes I felt like this was a year that the team decided to rest of their laurels.


I have accused OOTP fans many times of being sycophants and I have been shouted down. Its not good for the developers to only ever hear what they want to hear. But now it seems the developers are openly encouraging that sort of behavior and only want to read certain opinions.

It was a shame to see and if this behavior continues then I will not be purchasing any future versions.


Most of you know me...and most know that I have always been critical when need be. You also know me to be fair and objective...I did work in the old school media after all. I think what Markus and Matt have done under the hood has been fantastic. Let me ask you this: you all complain when they donít fix legacy issues..yet this is what the focus of this release is! These are things that we all agree needed fixing...next year will be a bigger release. I realize because this is number 20...some people might have been expecting bigger and better things...but in all honesty...the AI changes are what ibhave wanted all along. Now, if they arenít perfect (which nothing ever is) please tell us, and I know this team will work to attempt perfection...even if it is utopian..in the fact it doesnít exist.
PSUColonel is offline  
15 thanks for this post:
AESP_pres (03-22-2019), ashantewarrier (03-22-2019), Bill Veeck (03-23-2019), BirdWatcher (03-22-2019), BoofBonser26 (03-22-2019), BronxBombers7 (03-22-2019), Calvert98 (03-23-2019), Dr.K (03-24-2019), Grafton19 (03-22-2019), italyprof (03-25-2019), Jerry Helper (03-24-2019), NoOne (03-23-2019), RchW (03-22-2019), sentry85 (03-24-2019), wagner01 (03-24-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #32
eldur00
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 341
Thanks: 43
Thanked 192x in 113 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Most of you know me...and most know that I have always been critical when need be. You also know me to be fair and objective...I did work in the old school media after all. I think what Markus and Matt have done under the hood has been fantastic. Let me ask you this: you all complain when they donít fix legacy issues..yet this is what the focus of this release is! These are things that we all agree needed fixing...next year will be a bigger release. I realize because this is number 20...some people might have been expecting bigger and better things...but in all honesty...the AI changes are what ibhave wanted all along. Now, if they arenít perfect (which nothing ever is) please tell us, and I know this team will work to attempt perfection...even if it is utopian..in the fact it doesnít exist.

That's the point...the thread that was locked attempted to explain why they were not impressed and gave quite a few suggestions of things they felt would enhance the game in their eyes. There was zero reason to lock that thread.
eldur00 is offline  
3 thanks for this post:
BoofBonser26 (03-22-2019), byzeil (03-22-2019), Shoeless' Socks (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #33
byzeil
All Star Starter
 
byzeil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, US
Posts: 1,584
Thanks: 2,345
Thanked 810x in 468 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Most of you know me...and most know that I have always been critical when need be. You also know me to be fair and objective...I did work in the old school media after all. I think what Markus and Matt have done under the hood has been fantastic. Let me ask you this: you all complain when they donít fix legacy issues..yet this is what the focus of this release is! These are things that we all agree needed fixing...next year will be a bigger release. I realize because this is number 20...some people might have been expecting bigger and better things...but in all honesty...the AI changes are what ibhave wanted all along. Now, if they arenít perfect (which nothing ever is) please tell us, and I know this team will work to attempt perfection...even if it is utopian..in the fact it doesnít exist.
I'm happy that they've improved on the AI and lineup management, awesome, though there are other things I'd like to seen looked at BUT that isn't why I posted in this thread and it isn't why I think people are upset and commenting here.

The issue is that the thread was locked down. There wasn't fighting, cursing, or disrespectful posts. Only reason I can see for it to be locked down was that is was critical of the product, respectful but negative.

I've been called an OOTP fanboy many times by people in leagues I am in when I defend choices OOTP has made but I defended them because I thought they deserved to defended. But this locking of threads is not something I can defend and if I am going to support OOTP in thing I believe they do are good I am going to criticize when I think they are wrong.
__________________
Commissioner(2013-) of the Moneyball Union(tMBU, online league) in our 71st season (est RL 2004)
byzeil is offline  
Thank you for this post:
Karl Pagel Blues (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #34
acclaim99
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 432
Thanks: 38
Thanked 71x in 46 posts
Remember ootp20 is going to be a new experience for a lot of people.


So saying you didn't notice any changes.. There are people who haven't played 19


Me personally, I'm stuck with 19. Can't spring any extra money. Docs won't let me work.. Found out I had cancer 6.5 months ago.

But, I hope it's great game for all the new users!!! I hope they don't turn off perfect team in 19. Love passing time with it right now!!
acclaim99 is offline  
Thank you for this post:
Poweshow (03-24-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #35
AESP_pres
All Star Starter
 
AESP_pres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Province of Quebec
Posts: 1,123
Blog Entries: 25
Thanks: 1,744
Thanked 337x in 217 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Bell View Post
So basically, if you want to have an opinion on here, it has to be the right one!!.

Remember the days when all the long time users would be quite reactive if a new users did a negative comment... they created a "be kind to newbies" rule because of this


Maybe they think we will act like that again...
__________________
AESP_pres is offline  
Thank you for this post:
ashantewarrier (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #36
AESP_pres
All Star Starter
 
AESP_pres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Province of Quebec
Posts: 1,123
Blog Entries: 25
Thanks: 1,744
Thanked 337x in 217 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmenia View Post
As it stands it looks like a way to limit discussion about the disappointment of the game.
I'm not diappointed as nothing really changed for the 19th century and I knew it before buying the game today, but you're right that it looks like that...



There is a big difference between "I'm disapointed because of this and that" and "that game suck!!!"
__________________
AESP_pres is offline  
Thank you for this post:
byzeil (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #37
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer
 
ashantewarrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somerset, NJ via Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,060
Blog Entries: 6
Thanks: 2,033
Thanked 531x in 307 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
Remember the days when all the long time users would be quite reactive if a new users did a negative comment... they created a "be kind to newbies" rule because of this


Maybe they think we will act like that again...
I remember those days very well. New folks would get hazed for asking a simple question. I'm glad the mods instituted that rule.
__________________
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being."
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers


"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson

OOTP MLB & NCAA Caps & Jerseys
http://s1232.photobucket.com/profile/ashantewarrier
ashantewarrier is offline  
Thank you for this post:
AESP_pres (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #38
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer
 
pstrickert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,376
Thanks: 2,825
Thanked 3,647x in 2,030 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
Remember the days when all the long time users would be quite reactive if a new users did a negative comment... they created a "be kind to newbies" rule because of this


Maybe they think we will act like that again...
You mean like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Dei
Nutlaw: First, you're wrong. Second, you're wrong. Third, you're wrong.

Markus knows about the legacy bugs. If enough people care about them, we can generate enough momentum here to get them fixed (see printing, baseball cards, and mass select). The problem is that not enough people here give a damn about OOTP actually having accurate stats (see poll). You don't like what I attribute that to, and I don't care what you think because not only are you part of the problem, but you also hypocritically engage in exactly the same tactics that you object to in others (see earlier posts in this thread).

Now please go bother someone else and stop trying to prevent us from doing all that we can to make the game better. Thank you.
pstrickert is offline  
3 thanks for this post:
AESP_pres (03-22-2019), glenmere14 (03-23-2019), Qrusher14242 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #39
BirdWatcher
All Star Starter
 
BirdWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,973
Thanks: 1,501
Thanked 779x in 544 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acclaim99 View Post
Remember ootp20 is going to be a new experience for a lot of people.


So saying you didn't notice any changes.. There are people who haven't played 19


Me personally, I'm stuck with 19. Can't spring any extra money. Docs won't let me work.. Found out I had cancer 6.5 months ago.

But, I hope it's great game for all the new users!!! I hope they don't turn off perfect team in 19. Love passing time with it right now!!
So very sorry for your health challenge. Hoping for you full recovery and many more years of OOTP (and all the other joys life offers.)
BirdWatcher is online now  
Thank you for this post:
glenmere14 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #40
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 325
Thanks: 56
Thanked 126x in 53 posts
I think it would help if we could get description on what has been done? Especially stuff that's under the hood, since it's so easy to miss.

I'd have loved to hear more about features and changes before I bought in. I don't like to wait, though, and don't mind supporting a great game like OOTP.
torpidbeaver is offline  
Thank you for this post:
Poweshow (03-24-2019)
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments