Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

HOFers vs HOFers

Curiosity got the best of me, so I figured I would see how the roster of the top HOFers would fare against a roster comprised of the bottom HOFers (using the GC from the simulation).

Once I had the rosters put together, I determined each player's best season. I decided to take the season with highest PA*OPS+ for the hitters and IP*ERA+ for the hitters.

This usually resulted in the best WAR season, but not always. I decided it was preferable to give weight to playing time so I would get seasons with lots of fielding data and, hopefully, multiple position capability.

I then randomly selected one player from each team and used that player's RL team from that season for the HOF team's team.

From the top squad, Eddie Collins was chosen. His "best" season was in 1914 with the Philadelphia Athletics.

From the bottom squad, Edgar Barnhart was chosen. His "best" season was, well, his only season, with the 1924 Browns.

I had decided that the environment the season would be played in would be the midpoint of the two years. That gave me 1919.

So, the top HOF team would take the spot of the Athletics and the bottom team the Browns.

I thought about shifting one team to the AL, but I thought it would be cool to have them play during the season, so I left it as such.

I noticed that the ball parks were imported as neutral, again. So, I deleted all the teams and brought in new teams with new ball parks. These parks have varying factors.

With 16 teams, I created a random debut draft pool. I then deleted two AL teams and let the 14 remaining teams draft from the pool created for 16 teams, to get them a little stronger and deeper.

I am not using minor leagues, and set up the league for single season replay. I left injuries very high and fatigue high, as they were in completed league. I also left the other settings as they were.

Certainly the top team has massive power and deeper pitching, but they are wanting for MI def and depth at catcher.

How would this translate into a dead ball environment?

The default settings are for a 5 man rotation and 2 pitchers in the BP.

This helped the bottom team close the gap in pitching.

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 09-26-2013 at 12:03 AM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Top HOF team

Alex Serrano 2008
Randy D Johnson 2002
Barry Bonds 2001
Chipper Jones 1999
Mike Piazza 1997
Fred McGriff 1989
Kevin Mitchell 1989
Gary Carter 1984
Mike Schmidt 1980
Dave Kingman 1979
Willie Stargell 1973
Steve Carlton 1972
Willie McCovey 1969
Frank Howard 1969
Don Mincher 1967
Orlando Cepeda 1967
Sandy Koufax 1966
Willie Mays 1965
Hank Aaron 1963
Joe Adcock 1960
Mickey Mantle 1956
Stan Musial 1948
Hal Newhouser 1945
Hank Greenberg 1935
Hal Trosky Sr 1934
Carl Hubbell 1933
Lefty Grove 1931
Lou Gehrig 1927
Eddie Collins Sr 1914
Sam Crawford 1914
Ben Tincup 1914
Walter Johnson 1913
Shoeless Joe Jackson 1912
Larry Doyle 1911
Nap Lajoie 1910
Tim Jordan 1907
Rube Waddell 1905
Toad Ramsey 1886
Charlie J Ferguson 1886
Bobby Mathews 1874
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Bottom HOF Team

Adeiny Hechavarria 2012
Mike Trout 2012
Miguel Cabrera 2011
Josh Johnson 2010
Alex Rodriguez 2007
Jimmy Rollins 2007
Huston Street 2005
Manny Ramirez 1999
Eddie Williams 1995
Eric Davis 1987
Tom Henke 1987
Al Oliver 1982
Ben Oglivie 1980
Wayne Gross 1977
Bob Watson 1976
Ron Cey 1975
Don Sutton 1972
Joe Rudi 1972
Rico Petrocelli 1969
Jim Wynn 1969
Tommie Agee 1966
Bill D White 1963
John Romano 1961
Early Wynn 1956
Smoky Burgess 1955
Gil Hodges 1954
Eddie Yost 1951
Jackie Robinson 1949
Charlie Keller 1942
Edgar Barnhart 1924
Lefty Wolf 1921
George Mohart 1920
Benny Kauff 1914
Mike J McCormick 1904
John J McGraw 1898
Percy Coleman 1897
Dan O'Connor 1890
Lou Galvin 1884
Unknown Edwards 1875
Unknown McDoolan 1873
Old 09-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

I simmed through the date when the two teams would first meet, May 17th.

On May 17th, the two teams are tied for first place with 17-5 records.

The top team is the Cleveland Sergeants and the bottom team is the Charlotte Battle Cats.

All of the Battle Cats ML pitchers are RHP. All of the Sergeants ML pitchers are LHP, except for Alex Serrano. However, Serrano has gotten little work. In 22 games, the Sergeants SP have pitched all but 1 inning. There is no DH in either league.

The Battle Cats lead the league in HR...with 10. They are 7th in team defense.

The Sergeants are actually leading the league in scoring and defense.

The Battle Cats are leading in pitching.

The first game will take place in Cleveland. Lou Galvin gets the call for Charlotte and Sandy Koufax will be making his first appearance for Cleveland. Carl Hubbell got demoted the bull pen, where Koufax had sat without appearing in a game, all season.

I know this is kind of a dynasty posting, but it is only going to be one season, so I am posting it here. I will detail the games played between the HOF squads, but I am not going to attempt to do what the dynasty guys do as far as detailing the league happenings.

The interest I have here is in how the HOF squads do against each other, and that is all. I admit, though, it is a substantial interest.
Attached Images
Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

The line-up card from the historic first match-up:
Attached Images
Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Game 1

Lou Galvin and Sandy Koufax locked into a pitching battle in the first meeting of the HOF teams, in Cleveland.

Koufax set the Battle Cats down, in order, in the top of the first.

With one out in the bottom half of the inning, Nap Lajoie stroked a single over Rico Petrocelli, at short. Lajoie, taking advantage of Galvin's long delivery stole second base. John Romano's throw to get Lajoie carried into the OF and Lajoie wound up at third.

Stan Musial followed with a grounder to Petrocelli and Lajoie scored to put the Sergeants up 1-0.

No further scoring occurred until the bottom of the 7th.

With one out and runners on second and third, Lajoie was called back to the dugout and Barry Bonds emerged as the pinch hitter.

Galvin pitched carefully to Bonds, and with first base open, issued what could be called an unintentional intentional walk.

Stan Musial bounced one to the left of Ron Cey who had no other play than to throw out Musial at first base, giving Musial credit for driving in both of Cleveland's runs on the day without the benefit of a hit (0-4).

With 9 strikeouts and a shutout in tact, Koufax took the hill for the top of the 9th, quickly dispatching pinch hitter Eric Davis and Mike Trout on strikes.

Miguel Cabrera stroked a base hit to center to keep the game alive, for Charlotte.

Benny Kauff was next. He chopped one down to Kevin Mitchell at third base and utilized his speed to beat out the throw.

With excellent speed as the game tier at first, clean-up hitter Rico Petrocelli stepped into the box. He sent a grounder to the left of second base where Lajoie's replacement at SS, Mike Schmidt, picked it off the grass and and took a stride to step on second base, forcing out Kauff, to end the game.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 09-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Game 1 Box Score

OOTP tagged Lou Galvin with one earned run. Neither of the runs should have been earned. The run in the first would not have scored had the runner not advanced to third base on the errant throw from catcher. The run in the 9th was scored with two outs after Eddie Collins had reached on an error by Miguel Cabrera.
Attached Images
Old 09-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

The second game features the return of Early Wynn for Charlotte, who completed a 10 game suspension for fighting, yesterday.

I have disabled trading, so any problems regarding injuries or attitudes will be handled with the personnel on the reserve roster, only.
Attached Images

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 09-25-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Game 2 Line-ups

Following his costly throwing error, yesterday, John Romano will start this game watching on the bench. Smokey Burgess, in spite of the unfavorable lefty/lefty match-up vs the Unit will be behind the plate. Jimmy Wynn starts for Joe Rudi in LF.

For the Sergeants, Willie Mays starts in place of Mickey Mantle and Barry Bonds starts for Willie Stargell.
Attached Images

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 09-25-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Game 2

Mike Trout was the story. Leading off the game vs Randy Johnson and with a 22 mph wind blowing in from center, Trout went the other way on a fastball from the Big Unit. He sent it 357 feet over the head of Stan Musial and the wall in Cleveland for his first HR of the season, and only the second hit by the Battle Cats.

How did Johnson respond? He struck out the next 9 hitters, including Trout.

In the top of the 8th, the score was still 1-0. Early Wynn was on top of his game on the mound, and brought that mojo to the plate by hitting a clean single to center off Johnson.

Mike Trout followed with a single of his own giving the Battle Cats runners at first and third with no one out.

With a count of 2-2 on Miguel Cabrera, Trout broke with the pitch. Cabrera fanned and Gary Carter gunned down Trout to diminish the Battle Cats 8th inning threat. Johnson induced a nubber from Benny Kauff to end the threat, completely.

In the bottom of the 9th, Lou Gehrig walked with one out. Kevin Mitchell followed with a single to center which Mike Trout over ran (for his second error of the day), allowing the runners to advance to second and third.

Barry Bonds came to the plate with WIllie Mays on deck. Charlotte chose to pitch to Bonds. Wrong choice. Bonds ripped one between Petrocellin and the bag, Gehrig scored, and Kevin Mitchell challenged the arm of Mike Trout and headed home. Mitchell won. The Battle Cats lost.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 09-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Game 2 Box Score

Randy Johnson struck out 19.
Attached Images
Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Game 3

The first two games produced 4 great pitching performances. The 3rd game is the marquis match-up, based on the early season results.

5-0 Josh Johnson facing 5-0 Hal Newhouser. Sweet.

Eric Davis gets the start in LF for the Battle Cats, and John Romano returns to backstop duties.

Kevin Mitchell was exhausted from his 180 foot sprint to win game 2, so Mike Schmidt gets the hot corner start for the Sergeants.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 09-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

A match-up of two top pitchers lived up to its billing.

Hal Newhouser opened the game by striking out the side, en route to a CG 16 K 0 walk performance.

Josh Johnson also tossed a CG, striking out 9 and walking three.

The two hurlers posted goose eggs through the first five innings of play.

In the top of the sixth, John Romano ripped a rope to the LF gap, securing himself a double. Josh Johnson executed the sacrifice and the much mentioned Mike Trout lined a ball over Nap Lajoie to bring home the run.

The score was 1-0 in the bottom of the ninth. Willie Stragell was called upon to pinch hit for Mike Schmidt. He blasted a towering shot that Eric Davis chased down at the warning track. Score an assist for the wind.

Willie McCovey then pinch hit for Gary Carter and Johnson had a change up slip from his grip that plunked McCovey.

The Sergeants chose to not lift Newhouser, and he executed the sacrifice, putting the game in the hands of Eddie Collins.

Collins got a 2-0 pitch which he stung to the left of Ron Cey. Cey made the slick play and threw to Cabrera to end the game.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Josh Johnson raises his record to 6-0 while Newhouser, with the 91 game score, takes the tough loss.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 09-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Game 4 line-ups

The first seried between the two HOF clubs wraps up today, and if there is such a thing as big game in May, this would be it.

The Battle Cats have 2 SP, Percy Coleman and Unknown Edwards, on the DL for 3 more weeks. This is forcing Charlotte to reach into the bullpen for a starter. George Mohart will make his season debut as the starter for the lower HOF squad.

Facing him will be Lefty Grove.

This is a game that Cleveland should win, and needs to win. If the Battle Cats should gain a split in Cleveland with Mohart pitching, that will be a huge boost for the Battle Cats.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 09-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Game 4

George Mohart took the mound after the Battle Cats came up empty vs Lefty Grove, in the top of the first. The Sergeants came out swinging.

They came out swinging to such a degree that it only took 11 pitches for Mohart to get through the first two innings and 24 to get through thrr.

Mohart had pitched 3 2/3 innings of no hit ball when Rico Petrocelli booted a routine grounder from Lou Gehrig. Mohart was visably rattled and served up a meat ball to Kevin Mitchell who crushed it for an RBI triple. A four pitch walk to Mickey Mantle followed and Barry Bonds laced a single to give the Sergeants a 2 run two out rally.

Spotting Lefty Grove is not good for a team's winning chances. And it ended the chances for the Battle Cats.

Grove went the distance, striking out 18 in a 2 hitter.

Mohart also went the distance, but was tagged with 5 runs, 3 earned, in 8 IP.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 09-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

The top ranked Battle Cat defense committed 5 errors in the series. The 7th ranked Sergeant defense committed 0. All 8 SP went the distance and recorded CGs.

The Battle Cats will host a 4 game series between the two teams in one month.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 09-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Team Home Pages

I will sim through to their next game vs each other.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 09-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #19
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Series 2, Game 1

As June 14th rolls around, the Cleveland Sergeants roll into the town of Charlotte. The Battle Cats play host for 4 games. The Battle Cats enjoy a 1 game lead on Cleveland, a swing of 3 games in Charlotte's favor since their last meeting.

The Battle Cats have been hot. How hot? The are riding a 23 game winning streak hot.

Cleveland enters the series with Orlando Cepeda fighting the flu. He is expected to be fine in a couple days.

Charlotte pitcher Josh Johnson left his previous start after just one inning of work, but the Battle Cats are confident that he will be healthy to make a start against the rival Sergeants.

Both Mike Schmidt and Barry Bonds have been swinging a hot bat for Cleveland.

The Battle Cats have been getting a win-win deal out of both Early and Jim Wynn, as they have been playing very good ball, of late, as has Benny Kauff.

Attached are the league leaderboards. Certainly the biggest pleasant surprise thus far in the season is the outstanding play of Mike Trout.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 09-27-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #20
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

The best pitcher to reach the HOF, Toad Ramsey faces Don Sutton, who brings his 10-0 record into the game, today.

Larry Doyle is now the regular SS for the Dergeants. The Nap Lajoie experiment is over. A range in the 2s and a field% in the .700s are not good numbers for a SS, no matter what the era.

Doyle has been a capable defensive SS and has contributed with the bat, as well.

The Battle Cats will give Cleveland their first look at Alex Rodriguez, who today gets the starting call at 3B.

Ron Cey, who had been getting the call vs LHP, has been struggling with the bat. We will see if Rodriguez can wrest the 3B vs LHP duties away from Cey on a regular basis.
Attached Images
Image Image