Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Another OOTP 1st?

This has occurred only 5 times in modern Major League history (since 1900) where a pitcher throws a no-hitter and takes the loss. Rare Feats | MLB.com: History

Happened to me today for the 1st time ever in OOTP.

Quote:
Parker Spins No-Hitter Against Boston: How do you pitch a no-hitter and lose the game? Ask Del Parker of the Louisville Sluggers. It happened to him today at Brawlers Ballpark. He did not allow the Boston Brawlers to get a single hit, but they won the ballgame 1-0.

"I have never seen anything like it," the Louisville manager told BNN reporters after the historic event.

Parker really zeroed in on the Brawlers in his masterpiece, finishing with 9 strikeouts and 10 walks, but was not able to get the win.

He said, "Things like this happen in baseball. I was good today. Good stuff, good location ... but no cigar."
_
Attached Images
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Here's the game log for the bottom of the 11th - walked 4 batters.

_
Attached Images
Old 01-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

"Things like this happen in baseball. I was good today. Good stuff, good location ... but no cigar."

Good stuff good location? He had 10! walks haha...how is that good location?

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Brananorama
Minors (Double A)

Technically he shouldn't get credited with a no-hitter since he didn't finish the final inning, right?
Brananorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brananorama View Post
Technically he shouldn't get credited with a no-hitter since he didn't finish the final inning, right?
Sure he should get credited. He started the game, finished it, pitched at least 9 innings and didn't give up a hit.

That qualifies as a no-hitter.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 01-05-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinthePOWERHOUSE View Post
"Things like this happen in baseball. I was good today. Good stuff, good location ... but no cigar."

Good stuff good location? He had 10! walks haha...how is that good location?
You are absolutely correct, it doesn't make good sense, but the news writers for OOTPB have to create the write-up before the game is played. It's just a "fill-in-the-blank process", that sometimes makes poor sense.

Having written many, many of the News Stories in the game while on the Beta Team for three years, I know that the writers are severely limited by a rigid text structure that sometimes creates a situation like the above.

In a text game, you have to write most of it with generic, boring and run-of-mill terminology and language in order to limit the above situation.

Actually, it is best to leave out quotes in the News... that is where most of the problems comes from in text games.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-05-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #7
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

You're right about it being rare. I've only had one losing no-hitter in about 90 seasons of various OOTP leagues...strangely enough, in an 1888 replay that only lasted one season before the files got screwed up. Here it is, from OOTP 11:

ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
You are absolutely correct, it doesn't make good sense, but the news writers for OOTPB have to create the write-up before the game is played. It's just a "fill-in-the-blank process", that sometimes makes poor sense.

Having written many, many of the News Stories in the game while on the Beta Team for three years, I know that the writers are severely limited by a rigid text structure that sometimes creates a situation like the above.

In a text game, you have to write most of it with generic, boring and run-of-mill terminology and language in order to limit the above situation.

Actually, it is best to leave out quotes in the News... that is where most of the problems comes from in text games.
Good points, I just thought it was funny.

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post

It should be possible to write stories for different outcomes though, so you could say "if he has more than x walks use this story"* and "if he has 10ks and still loses, use this one instead"^. You could also change the wording to say something like "I didn't think I was pitching too badly, but obviously something wasn't working".

*Eg: "I just couldn't hit my spots today, just one of those days I guess"
^Eg: the current one.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #10
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
It should be possible to write stories for different outcomes though, so you could say "if he has more than x walks use this story"* and "if he has 10ks and still loses, use this one instead"^. You could also change the wording to say something like "I didn't think I was pitching too badly, but obviously something wasn't working".

In the text writers' defense, this is such a rare circumstance that I think I'd rather have them devoting their limited volunteer time to more likely scenarios. There's a lot of ground to cover and only so much time to cover it. My impression is that they do a tremendous job, working within the restrictions they face.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #11
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsairs View Post
In the text writers' defense, this is such a rare circumstance that I think I'd rather have them devoting their limited volunteer time to more likely scenarios. There's a lot of ground to cover and only so much time to cover it. My impression is that they do a tremendous job, working within the restrictions they face.
Oh yeah, definitely. It's not a huge priority, but it would be nice to have different news stories based on the stats from the game.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #12
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSeventiesGuy View Post
You're right about it being rare. I've only had one losing no-hitter in about 90 seasons of various OOTP leagues...strangely enough, in an 1888 replay that only lasted one season before the files got screwed up. Here it is, from OOTP 11:

That's only eight innings...
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinthePOWERHOUSE View Post
Good points, I just thought it was funny.
It's a great story... a pitcher loses a no-hitter... that's why OOTPB is so special. Thanks to bluenoser for sharing it with us.

Powerhouse, I'm sorry, that I got a little defensive about a News Story.
I didn't mean it to criticise you, although I can see now it might have come across that way. I'm embarrassed.

Even though you may not want an apology, I apologize.

You're right, it did sound funny and strange.
It's good you pointed out the flaw in the story. I will report it to whoever is editing the game's news on the Beta Team and ask them to remove the quote.

It's great when the gamers critique the game and report problems and text errors.

I hope all of us will do it.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-06-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post

Conditions are in the game, but not enough of them to fit all situations.

Your suggestions are on the right track. I'll report them to the News Editor and maybe he can do something to improve this story.

Thanks for the comment.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I also have to apologize to bluenoser for unintentionally hijacking his fine, interesting thread.

My apology to him.

This thread is about rare plays in OOTPB. I will keep it that way.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Were you managing the game? Once he lost control and the bases were loaded, I would have tried "pitch to contact". I've started using this lately, only sparingly, when it becomes obvious that the game is going to force my pitcher to walk guys and one more walk will lose the game.

A particularly good clue is when a guy with good control and who is not tired walks two out of three or three out of four batters in an inning. If the bases are loaded, his control seems to be inexplicably fading, and one run will lose the game, then I've started using pitch to contact, and it usually works.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
Were you managing the game? Once he lost control and the bases were loaded, I would have tried "pitch to contact". I've started using this lately, only sparingly, when it becomes obvious that the game is going to force my pitcher to walk guys and one more walk will lose the game.

A particularly good clue is when a guy with good control and who is not tired walks two out of three or three out of four batters in an inning. If the bases are loaded, his control seems to be inexplicably fading, and one run will lose the game, then I've started using pitch to contact, and it usually works.
It was an AI managed game. Kind of wish I had saved replays so I could watch the whole thing played out.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #18
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Sure he should get credited. He started the game, finished it, pitched at least 9 innings and didn't give up a hit.

That qualifies as a no-hitter.

If you're on the away team and you lose in the bottom of the ninth with no outd, still without giving up a hit, you would have only thrown 8 innings, but you would be credited with a no-hitter. All a pitcher has to do is finish a regulation game.

What I am not sure about are games that are finished early and never resumed-if a pitcher threw 6 no-hit innings in a 6-inning game, would he be credited with a no-hitter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #19
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What I am not sure about are games that are finished early and never resumed-if a pitcher threw 6 no-hit innings in a 6-inning game, would he be credited with a no-hitter?
Not in MLB. I think he would be in the minors.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #20
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you're on the away team and you lose in the bottom of the ninth with no outd, still without giving up a hit, you would have only thrown 8 innings, but you would be credited with a no-hitter. All a pitcher has to do is finish a regulation game.

1: MLB defines a no-hitter as "...when a pitcher (or pitchers) allows no hits during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings". The rule is interpreted as requiring innings pitched to be greater than or equal to 9, so giving up no hits in 8 innings does not qualify.

2: See above. The most recent shortened no-hit game I can remember is Devern Hansack pitching 5 innings in 2007, and it did not qualify as a no-hitter.

Addendum: A "Harvey Haddix" situation (no hits until the 10th) no longer qualifies, as the definition was revised in 1991 to exclude Haddix's game.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote