Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
JeffR
FHM Producer

FHM Update, Version 4.4.56, Now Available

A new update for Franchise Hockey Manager 4, version 4.4.56, has just been released.

To apply the update:

-If you are playing the eSellerate version, just download the setup file and install it over your current installation. There is no need to uninstall or unlicense your current copy! However, you should quit the game before installing it, of course.
-If you are playing the Steam version, the game will auto-update if you have that option active. If you don't see the update in your Steam update queue, you may need to exit and restart your Steam client.

Download link for PC:
Main server: PC Installer

Download link for Mac:
Main Server: Mac Installer

This is the first update with a significant amount of non-bugfix level changes. We're still making those small fixes and adjustments (and have more to go), but the long-requested player comparison screen has been added, some noticeable performance improvements have been made, as well as a big under-the-hood change to the way historical player ratings are handled. Bug reports have dropped off significantly in the last couple of weeks, so it looks like we'll now be able to spend more time on adding content and other projects that require more coding and testing time; we've got a few things in mind in addition to the stuff that's commonly come up on the forums. That being the case, the next update (aside from any needed hotfixes to this one) will likely be a month or more away, targeted for sometime in the pre-Christmas period.

As always, we'll still be monitoring our forums and Facebook (FranchiseHockeyManager), Twitter (@FranchiseHockey), Reddit (/r/FranchiseHockey), etc. on a daily basis, answering questions and offering help as needed, so if you have any problems or suggestions, please let us know. Thanks for your continued support.

Changes:

-Player Comparison screen added (right-click on a player to get the option to compare one player to another)
-rewrote certain functions to decrease processing time, should increase speed of a full modern season with all leagues active by 9-10 minutes on a fast system
-fixed issue with a large number of guys being created with the last name "Unknown" in modern games
-in the Injuries section of the pregame and postgame reports, all injuries are no longer are being shown in the "Out" category - players with minor injuries (i.e., orange cross instead of red) should be listed under "Day-to-Day"
-reduced long delay when processing the "signable" filter
-the NHL playoff historical rules for 1998-2012 should now give home ice in the finals to the correct (more regular-season points) team
-in games that get "sim to start date" (e.g. modern with user employed from the start), injuries in the presets.txt file should have their duration reduced properly at the end of the simming
-the user's team is now highlighted in all-caps on the league screens (standings, leaders, etc.)
-players who have signed a contract extension in their current league, then are drafted and signed by an NHL team later in that season, will no longer have the previous extension still active, preventing them from being re-signed when the NHL contract ends
-development report will no longer show forwards occasionally getting +1 to LD or RD (this was actually just a display issue, they weren't really getting the increase)
-players in the CHL leagues (or the junior league in fictional games) who are under contract to NHL/top league teams should now change teams properly when traded within the junior league, instead of only their rights switching
-the "Not enough players to create lineup" now includes the name of the team with the problem
-when the user is in GM/HC mode and attempts to sign a head coach, he will now get a warning/confirm popup informing him that this will put the game in GM-only mode
-Champions League games should no longer occasionally show Montreal's arena as the location of the game
-fixed crash that could happen when attempting to manage players on Orlando of the ECHL
-custom games should now create and retain leaderboards/single-game records properly
-no longer possible to exploit the trade AI by adding low-value players to the other team's offer to reduce its overall value
-fixed issue causing Game Ratings to occasionally disappear from the roster screen
-adjusted waiver system slightly to fix incorrect first contract year for players who played 10+ AHL games while junior-aged (e.g. Tyler Bertuzzi)
-sorting the roster by game rating should now work properly when in the playoffs
-in custom league playoffs, home ice advantage now correctly given to team with best regular-season record
-scouting report should no longer repeat lines
-the pregame notes sections "players playing against their former team" and "players visiting their hometown" should now work properly
-fixed occasional blank spots appearing in the goalie spots in user's team's depth chart
-tactical advantage scores will no longer occasionally show incorrect, unchanging values during games
-fixeed issue that could cause incorrectly-sized fonts on Macs
-clicking the "take over" box on the expansion popup no longer crashes the game
-fixed potential error with Finnish Liiga schedule that could put one team into the playoffs in two different spots
-the action menu on the staff screen for trainers should work properly now
-fixed issue that could cause players signing ELC's in June to get wrong number of years on ELC and start contract too early
-the Team (Info) screen no longer shows the wrong abbreviation in the Team Info box (it was fixed earlier for the draft picks, but not in Team Info)
-lowered physical ratings of very old players at the start of custom games and adjusted the age range generation so there are fewer of them
-the "unused players" section of the post-game report should now correctly list players who dressed but didn't play
-corrected 2003-04 historical data so reserve list does not shrink for NHL teams in that season
-corrected 1933-34, 34-35, and 35-36 minor league roster sizes being too small
-changes in historical player generation at startup and season recalc that'll allow us to better represent player careers that weren't smooth up-and-down curves. Basically, the new system overrides the default ratings calculation for them with something more accurate for a particular anomalous season. It's going to take a long time to get the data adjusted for every player whose modelling will be helped by this, so right now the only players affected are the following guys we used as test cases because they had seasons that were good candidates for this system: Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya, Scott Bjugstad, Jim Carey, Ken Hodge, Bill Cowley, Jose Theodore, Jonathan Cheechoo, Ken Dryden, Alexandre Daigle, Frank Boucher, Howie Morenz, Johnny Bower, Al Rollins, Chris Chelios. This change will be most noticeable if annual recalculation (instead of the regular development system) is turned on, and during the first season of either type of historical game (i.e., if you start in 2001, Theodore will be the MVP-quality Theodore of that season, instead of the career-average version you would previously get and Chelios will be the 40+ point near-Norris winner instead of the less productive guy he'd been in the prior seasons, and if you have annual recalculation on Kariya and Selanne will have their bad 2003-04 season when you get to that point.)
-several adjustments made to the goalie start system: the "after shutout" check no longer considers shutouts that were in a previous season stage, i.e. a shutout in the last preseason game is ignored when checking the first game of the regular season; random element decreased slightly; the calculation used to determine which goalie is "best" is now the same one used to determine the starter (which includes a few considerations besides talent, e.g. there's an allowance for potential)
-the top RD position in the penalty kill 4 on 5 strategy screen and goalies in the 5 on 5 screen now work properly with click-selection
-Hall of Fame announcement message should no longer show picture of another player
-bridge contract frequency reduced again, and discount cut significantly
-all-rookie team should now be announced properly
-fixed occasional issue with only being able to sign 29 (instead of 30) players while managing a CHL team
-fixed issue that could prevent the Tsujimoto achievement from being awarded
-changed the requirements for the "good game" and "bad game" sections of the postgame reports so more players will be named
-fixed some spelling errors in the default skin's stylesheet
-various smaller text and UI fixes
-updated database to include contributions from researchers up to November 12 (note that this isn't a roster update that reflects current trades, just revisions and corrections that won't change the opening night rosters.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Screen still doesn't fit on my 13" Macbook Pro. Any hope this gets addressed?
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Can’t wait to give this a shot when I get home—nice work!
micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
skoch
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the update!

CuJo's first season in Toronto, he was a big signing and trending up, in the game he's 2 star and not very good.
skoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Exclamation

Has anything to do with Facegen been changed in this release? I'm noticing a few problems/issues...
  • Player Info Popups are really slow to display the first time they're shown, but subsequent displays are super responsive—I assume this is down to the Facegen image being created for the first time?
  • If you change the Facegen settings, i.e. go from Zoom normal to Zoom in, any previously generated faces don't get regenerated with the new settings.
  • Some players don't get a generated face at all.

All three of the following players are right next to each other in the same list...

Name:  Small Face.png
Views: 1506
Size:  33.3 KB
Name:  Big Face.png
Views: 1519
Size:  35.0 KB
Name:  No Face.png
Views: 1504
Size:  22.1 KB

The first issue basically makes scrolling with a wheel or gesture unusable because it becomes really jerky and doesn't follow the expected movement.

I appreciate I can disable the popup, but I find it really useful and haven't noticed these problems previously.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
GmOfTheYear
Major Leagues

I'm a little disappointed these three things weren't added since they seem doable and aren't huge overhauls of the game but things you would expect the game to have by default.

1. Saved lineups
2. Allow me to set my lines and have the ai fill in the roles.
3. Show the rating of the tactic not just in the pregame screen but also in the strategy screen when i'm choosing my tactic. As it stands now I have to choose a tactic then go to the pre game screen to see the rating then go back and go through each tactic to see the highest rated one. It would save me so much time if the rating was right on the tactic screen.
GmOfTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

There also appears to be an issue when creating a new save where all sorts of people who probably shouldn't appear are.

For instance, 106 year old retiree George Abbott...

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 19.16.24.png
Views: 1494
Size:  355.6 KB

I'm also seeing players aged 13, right through to 142, as well as some clearly incorrect ages...

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 19.17.36.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  67.6 KB

The total number of players shown in Player Search is 111332.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmOfTheYear View Post
3. Show the rating of the tactic not just in the pregame screen but also in the strategy screen when i'm choosing my tactic. As it stands now I have to choose a tactic then go to the pre game screen to see the rating then go back and go through each tactic to see the highest rated one. It would save me so much time if the rating was right on the tactic screen.
I’m pretty sure the rating takes into account the opposition tactics hence why it can only be shown on the pre-game screen. This is also the reason the numbers aren’t static, especially when the opposition has the coaching advantage since they can then see your tactics and adjust their roles to counter where appropriate. It’s also why the numbers change during the game, as the lines change and as the AI makes changes to their roles.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
A new update for Franchise Hockey Manager 4, version 4.4.56, has just been released.

To apply the update:

-If you are playing the eSellerate version, just download the setup file and install it over your current installation. There is no need to uninstall or unlicense your current copy! However, you should quit the game before installing it, of course.
-If you are playing the Steam version, the game will auto-update if you have that option active. If you don't see the update in your Steam update queue, you may need to exit and restart your Steam client.

Download link for PC:
Main server: PC Installer

Download link for Mac:
Main Server: Mac Installer

This is the first update with a significant amount of non-bugfix level changes. We're still making those small fixes and adjustments (and have more to go), but the long-requested player comparison screen has been added, some noticeable performance improvements have been made, as well as a big under-the-hood change to the way historical player ratings are handled. Bug reports have dropped off significantly in the last couple of weeks, so it looks like we'll now be able to spend more time on adding content and other projects that require more coding and testing time; we've got a few things in mind in addition to the stuff that's commonly come up on the forums. That being the case, the next update (aside from any needed hotfixes to this one) will likely be a month or more away, targeted for sometime in the pre-Christmas period.

As always, we'll still be monitoring our forums and Facebook (FranchiseHockeyManager), Twitter (@FranchiseHockey), Reddit (/r/FranchiseHockey), etc. on a daily basis, answering questions and offering help as needed, so if you have any problems or suggestions, please let us know. Thanks for your continued support.

Changes:

-Player Comparison screen added (right-click on a player to get the option to compare one player to another)
-rewrote certain functions to decrease processing time, should increase speed of a full modern season with all leagues active by 9-10 minutes on a fast system
-fixed issue with a large number of guys being created with the last name "Unknown" in modern games
-in the Injuries section of the pregame and postgame reports, all injuries are no longer are being shown in the "Out" category - players with minor injuries (i.e., orange cross instead of red) should be listed under "Day-to-Day"
-reduced long delay when processing the "signable" filter
-the NHL playoff historical rules for 1998-2012 should now give home ice in the finals to the correct (more regular-season points) team
-in games that get "sim to start date" (e.g. modern with user employed from the start), injuries in the presets.txt file should have their duration reduced properly at the end of the simming
-the user's team is now highlighted in all-caps on the league screens (standings, leaders, etc.)
-players who have signed a contract extension in their current league, then are drafted and signed by an NHL team later in that season, will no longer have the previous extension still active, preventing them from being re-signed when the NHL contract ends
-development report will no longer show forwards occasionally getting +1 to LD or RD (this was actually just a display issue, they weren't really getting the increase)
-players in the CHL leagues (or the junior league in fictional games) who are under contract to NHL/top league teams should now change teams properly when traded within the junior league, instead of only their rights switching
-the "Not enough players to create lineup" now includes the name of the team with the problem
-when the user is in GM/HC mode and attempts to sign a head coach, he will now get a warning/confirm popup informing him that this will put the game in GM-only mode
-Champions League games should no longer occasionally show Montreal's arena as the location of the game
-fixed crash that could happen when attempting to manage players on Orlando of the ECHL
-custom games should now create and retain leaderboards/single-game records properly
-no longer possible to exploit the trade AI by adding low-value players to the other team's offer to reduce its overall value
-fixed issue causing Game Ratings to occasionally disappear from the roster screen
-adjusted waiver system slightly to fix incorrect first contract year for players who played 10+ AHL games while junior-aged (e.g. Tyler Bertuzzi)
-sorting the roster by game rating should now work properly when in the playoffs
-in custom league playoffs, home ice advantage now correctly given to team with best regular-season record
-scouting report should no longer repeat lines
-the pregame notes sections "players playing against their former team" and "players visiting their hometown" should now work properly
-fixed occasional blank spots appearing in the goalie spots in user's team's depth chart
-tactical advantage scores will no longer occasionally show incorrect, unchanging values during games
-fixeed issue that could cause incorrectly-sized fonts on Macs
-clicking the "take over" box on the expansion popup no longer crashes the game
-fixed potential error with Finnish Liiga schedule that could put one team into the playoffs in two different spots
-the action menu on the staff screen for trainers should work properly now
-fixed issue that could cause players signing ELC's in June to get wrong number of years on ELC and start contract too early
-the Team (Info) screen no longer shows the wrong abbreviation in the Team Info box (it was fixed earlier for the draft picks, but not in Team Info)
-lowered physical ratings of very old players at the start of custom games and adjusted the age range generation so there are fewer of them
-the "unused players" section of the post-game report should now correctly list players who dressed but didn't play
-corrected 2003-04 historical data so reserve list does not shrink for NHL teams in that season
-corrected 1933-34, 34-35, and 35-36 minor league roster sizes being too small
-changes in historical player generation at startup and season recalc that'll allow us to better represent player careers that weren't smooth up-and-down curves. Basically, the new system overrides the default ratings calculation for them with something more accurate for a particular anomalous season. It's going to take a long time to get the data adjusted for every player whose modelling will be helped by this, so right now the only players affected are the following guys we used as test cases because they had seasons that were good candidates for this system: Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya, Scott Bjugstad, Jim Carey, Ken Hodge, Bill Cowley, Jose Theodore, Jonathan Cheechoo, Ken Dryden, Alexandre Daigle, Frank Boucher, Howie Morenz, Johnny Bower, Al Rollins, Chris Chelios. This change will be most noticeable if annual recalculation (instead of the regular development system) is turned on, and during the first season of either type of historical game (i.e., if you start in 2001, Theodore will be the MVP-quality Theodore of that season, instead of the career-average version you would previously get and Chelios will be the 40+ point near-Norris winner instead of the less productive guy he'd been in the prior seasons, and if you have annual recalculation on Kariya and Selanne will have their bad 2003-04 season when you get to that point.)
-several adjustments made to the goalie start system: the "after shutout" check no longer considers shutouts that were in a previous season stage, i.e. a shutout in the last preseason game is ignored when checking the first game of the regular season; random element decreased slightly; the calculation used to determine which goalie is "best" is now the same one used to determine the starter (which includes a few considerations besides talent, e.g. there's an allowance for potential)
-the top RD position in the penalty kill 4 on 5 strategy screen and goalies in the 5 on 5 screen now work properly with click-selection
-Hall of Fame announcement message should no longer show picture of another player
-bridge contract frequency reduced again, and discount cut significantly
-all-rookie team should now be announced properly
-fixed occasional issue with only being able to sign 29 (instead of 30) players while managing a CHL team
-fixed issue that could prevent the Tsujimoto achievement from being awarded
-changed the requirements for the "good game" and "bad game" sections of the postgame reports so more players will be named
-fixed some spelling errors in the default skin's stylesheet
-various smaller text and UI fixes
-updated database to include contributions from researchers up to November 12 (note that this isn't a roster update that reflects current trades, just revisions and corrections that won't change the opening night rosters.)
does that include re-rating for CHL prospects that were mentioend in the database error screen for my hometown CHL team where some of their prospects were all rated 1-5 rartings?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:52 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
does that include re-rating for CHL prospects that were mentioend in the database error screen for my hometown CHL team where some of their prospects were all rated 1-5 rartings?
Yup, I had a look at everybody you mentioned.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:59 AM   #11
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
There also appears to be an issue when creating a new save where all sorts of people who probably shouldn't appear are.

For instance, 106 year old retiree George Abbott...

I'm also seeing players aged 13, right through to 142, as well as some clearly incorrect ages...

The total number of players shown in Player Search is 111332.
Looks like there's a small glitch in the database setup that's created those few 2017-year-olds, mostly in smaller countries. We'll fix that. The retired "players" are basically just stats placeholders, not functional players. We should probably switch retired guys off in the default search view with an "on" switch in the filter.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:04 AM   #12
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoch View Post
Thanks for the update!

CuJo's first season in Toronto, he was a big signing and trending up, in the game he's 2 star and not very good.
Yeah, the mid-late 90's Leafs got hit pretty bad by the old system, Steve Thomas that same year has a similar problem. They'll be some of the first ones I change.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:06 AM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmOfTheYear View Post
I'm a little disappointed these three things weren't added since they seem doable and aren't huge overhauls of the game but things you would expect the game to have by default.

1. Saved lineups
2. Allow me to set my lines and have the ai fill in the roles.
They may seem simple and doable, but they're actually mechanically fairly complex. We'd like to do all of those things, but it's not a matter of a few hours of code changes. But improving the tactics interface is definitely a priority.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:15 AM   #14
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
Player Info Popups are really slow to display the first time they're shown, but subsequent displays are super responsive—I assume this is down to the Facegen image being created for the first time?
Yes, that's exactly it, they're generated on the fly. About all we could do to get around that (aside from the option to turn facegen off) is pregenerating some of the images during game setup, but that'll add to the time that takes and you'll still run into the delay whenever a picture has to be changed (e.g. new uniform.)

Quote:
If you change the Facegen settings, i.e. go from Zoom normal to Zoom in, any previously generated faces don't get regenerated with the new settings.
Not fixed yet.

Quote:
Some players don't get a generated face at all.
Not sure why that's happening, Abbott in your picture should be getting one. We'll check that.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:33 AM   #15
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

One of the biggest perks to this game is your guys support of it. Keep up the great work with the updates!
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #16
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFyvie View Post
Screen still doesn't fit on my 13" Macbook Pro. Any hope this gets addressed?
No changes in this update, but it's still near the top of our active bug list.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #17
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Yes, that's exactly it, they're generated on the fly. About all we could do to get around that (aside from the option to turn facegen off) is pregenerating some of the images during game setup, but that'll add to the time that takes and you'll still run into the delay whenever a picture has to be changed (e.g. new uniform.).
Could you not show the placeholder if the Facegen image doesn't already exist, and then delegate the Facegen operation to a background thread? If the popup is still displayed when it's finished then you can update it, otherwise the image is still there, ready for the next time it's shown. By offloading the expensive operation to a background thread, it'd keep the main thread responsive and therefore scrolling would remain buttery smooth.

Another approach might be to provide an option to not show Facegen images in the popup. Something such as this...

Name:  NoFacegenSmall.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  109.3 KB

These popups are incredibly useful so I hate to have to turn them off, and it seems daft to have to lose the valuable information they provide because something that's purely cosmetic is causing issues. I often use these popups when scanning through lists of players, but I can honestly say I've never traded for a player based just on their Facegen image.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #18
keroppichoppi
Minors (Single A)

Both my games keep crashing on June 23rd. (Won't simulate past)
keroppichoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:35 PM   #19
tward13
All Star Starter

Still waiting on some fixes to the roster screen.

If I'm looking st the roster with stats and go into a player's record and right click to return I'd expect it to still be sorted by position. Or if I right click and have someone replaced by another player it shouldn't resort the list back by points. Just leave it the way i have it until I go somewhere else and return by the menu icon.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:07 AM   #20
Chomps
Major Leagues

Does a new game have to be started in order to see the changes implemented in the new patch?
Chomps is offline   Reply With Quote