Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 09-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #41
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

To be honest, I think the Game Engine in FHM 2 was already pretty good with stats, in most cases, spot on and very close to reality. Of course you can always improve it (and we did). Would be nice to hear what issues you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHippie View Post
"I think if it was an "either/or" decision, they made the right decision. FHM was pretty bad, and FHM2, while better, had issues, as we all know. I think they needed to hit a home run, or at least a triple, with FHM3 or risk losing a lot of the goodwill and support they had accrued over the years with OOTP.

I know in my mind, it would have been hard to support if the gameplay itself, the game engine, still continued to have issues. so while I'm really disappointed, I'm glad the gameplay engine itself was re-worked.

because from what little I know about coding, they can now continue to build and improve..... but like a house with a rotting foundation, another bad game engine, or at least keeping the FHM2 version, would have made it hard to keep moving forward."

I use OOTP as an example....I will always love OOTP, but I remember where it was and appreciate where it is now.

I continue to hold out hope an update will be possible at some point. :
Old 09-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #42
Spartacus70
Minors (Double A)

I'm ok with your explanations about online play. Anyways with my friends I founded more convenient to use database site and e-mails for files transferts.
My concern is this : can we still be able to have multiplayers game or we fall back in solo play like in version 1?
Spartacus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #43
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmeister89 View Post
Very disappointed. Will not be purchasing. Thanks for the honesty, just wish I knew when the decision was made and not didn't before the game releases.
I'm sorry. I hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #44
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Thanks for your understanding, guys. Really, the decision to initially leave the online league functionality (I don't want to go as far as calling it a feature ) out of the release version was a very hard one. But, since online leagues are a big part of the success of OOTP, the feature will return to FHM as soon as possible. The game is still pretty young and has some growing pains, but trust me, the progress we have made with the FHM3 core features is really worth it.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #45
bjernagris
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Regarding the online league functionality which existed in FHM2, there were many problems with it, and the whole mode needs to be rewritten from scratch. So far there was no time yet to do this for FHM3, unfortunately. Maybe there is a chance to add it in a future update, the development team needs to evaluate and decide this after the game is released and the dust has settled a bit.
FHM3 without online mode is a step back in my eyes, despite all the development of the game itself you seem to have done (great job with that!!). In my opinion, playing against human GMs adds a dimension to the game that makes it largely uninteresting to go back and play offline mode once you have tried online... What an anticlimax for an avid online league player! I fully understand the need to focus on improving what most players request, but I believe there is significant potential for online leagues to become more popular with a better working online functionality! I hope some focus is put on this for future games/updates.

Although greatly disappointing to read about the removal of online play, it seems that you still have a great product in the works. I have preordered and will eagerly await this mode to be added back in.
bjernagris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #46
HockeyHippie
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
To be honest, I think the Game Engine in FHM 2 was already pretty good with stats, in most cases, spot on and very close to reality. Of course you can always improve it (and we did). Would be nice to hear what issues you are talking about.
I'm sorry if that came off a bit callous, on my part, Sebastian. I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks again for all the hard work.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #47
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

And hey, at least we didn't kill the headphone jack, hm?
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #48
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Thanks for the kind words, your explanation is 100% correct. I know we had our differences in the past, it is nice to see you back

I'm an old commish myself (my OOTP League got me where I'm now) and it is a tough decision but getting the NHL license is a big step for us and a great chance for us to get more people to play Hockey Manager games. It is a long term deal, we are commited to the game and will continue to work on it every day.

For your questions: as Markus wrote, you can buy a steam key on our page and then redeem it on steam. All mods work the same as non-steam version and should show up on steam works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
I applaud you Sebastian for being honest and upfront regarding online play being removed, and for explaining your reasoning (which personally I can understand/.agree with, quality first makes total sense to me; also, while I know ideally you'd like to please all potential customers 60 people is barely over $2000, even 600 people would be a small number IMO)

If one preorders, do they get a steam key too?
Also, if someone prefers to play on steam, is there a way to import available mods so they can still be accessed?
Old 09-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #49
HockeyHippie
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Haha. Sometimes progress is painful and uncomfortable, yes?
Old 09-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #50
croatian
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Thanks for the kind words, your explanation is 100% correct. I know we had our differences in the past, it is nice to see you back

I'm an old commish myself (my OOTP League got me where I'm now) and it is a tough decision but getting the NHL license is a big step for us and a great chance for us to get more people to play Hockey Manager games. It is a long term deal, we are commited to the game and will continue to work on it every day.

For your questions: as Markus wrote, you can buy a steam key on our page and then redeem it on steam. All mods work the same as non-steam version and should show up on steam works.
I would say NHL license in only third game proves that If I am correct OOTP got MLB license last year for first time, right ?
croatian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #51
croatian
All Star Starter

I may miss it, where achivements list can be seen ?
croatian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #52
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Quote:
...But for FHM3 we first wanted to concentrate on getting the core features as good as possible, and then start expanding on that.

Markus
This is what matters most to most players, whether you do or do not play online. I would love to try an online league at some point, but not at the expense of game functionality and features. Get the single player game correct and the rest will fall into place imo.
Romagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #53
HockeyHippie
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romagoth View Post
This is what matters most to most players, whether you do or do not play online. I would love to try an online league at some point, but not at the expense of game functionality and features. Get the single player game correct and the rest will fall into place imo.
As a recent convert and now die-hard online league aficionado, I couldn't agree more.

But online is the bomb! Makes a good game (like FHM2) into something even more fantastic, which is why us online guys were so disappointed. It was a kick in the gut on a day we were all so excited for the FHM3 release.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:22 PM   #54
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Quote:
Just as long as we don't have to pay for it later as an "extra feature"
Old 09-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #55
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHippie View Post
As a recent convert and now die-hard online league aficionado, I couldn't agree more.

But online is the bomb! Makes a good game (like FHM2) into something even more fantastic, which is why us online guys were so disappointed. It was a kick in the gut on a day we were all so excited for the FHM3 release.
Completely understand your sentiments, just remember that this developer is fantastic with updates/communication/adding features. If he says it will be added as soon as possible, then you can bet it will be a part of FHM at some point. It will be worth the wait.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #56
Swedishgamefreak
Minors (Double A)

I have preordered the steamkey now. When i activated it on steam it said Franchise Hockey Manager 3 but it doesnt show up on my library. Is that normal?

And also, the beta, will that be playable through steam as well or do i have to download a separate client for that?

Last edited by Swedishgamefreak; 09-23-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Swedishgamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #57
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Excited to see its a long term deal with the license! Has there been any changes to how scouting works?
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #58
Mafarfloune
Minors (Single A)

Add me to the crowd of heavily disappointed by the lack of online functionnality : I'd have taken it even if it was as bumpy as in FHM2. Still excited about the many upgrades and developments, but that bit of news was a bitterpill to swallow.
Mafarfloune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #59
Brob89
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishgamefreak View Post
I have preordered the steamkey now. When i activated it on steam it said Franchise Hockey Manager 3 but it doesnt show up on my library. Is that normal?

And also, the beta, will that be playable through steam as well or do i have to download a separate client for that?
What this dude said...
I also will pre-order the Steam version, and I was curious about whether that means that I can play the beta when it's released a few days earlier... not that a few days matters all that much...
Brob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #60
agrimsley
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Growing pains or otherwise, a "feature" has been removed from the game that was in the previous version. Disappointed is an understatement.
agrimsley is offline   Reply With Quote