Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Eric
All Star Starter

Ack! Taking forever to get my league started!

In preparation for getting my league started, I've been reading the forums and going through the various setup up screens for the past two weeks. I've even ran trial simulations to test out different market size scenarios.

I think I'm at the point to finally push the 'create game' button.

So many decisions!
* GM or manager only - After suffering as a single-A manager and having to redo my depth chart almost every day, I'm going the GM/Manager route. Still haven't figured if I'll play each game or do more simming.
* League structure - # of teams/divisions - want to have a small league - 2 leagues with 8 teams each. Still trying to figure out whether to have divisions in each league so the schedule will come out right.
* Minor league vs reserve roster. Going with minors. Want to add the complexity of having to deal with players out of option years.
* Scouting - probably will go with scouting disabled. Don't want to spend time dealing with scouting budgets or whom to scout
* Coaching system - still on the fence. I would like to see how manager do long term but not a big fan of hiring hitting coaches and such
* DH vs No DH - debated a while on this. I think I'll go with no DH for both leagues
* Financials - I think I'll go with giving everybody the same inaugural draft budget so they will have the same market size.
* Start with Inaugural draft or run the league a few years and take over a team. I was torn with this - I like seeing some league history but am leaning toward starting with inaugural draft. The only downside is that the great players in their prime will not automatically be voted to HOF.
* League Strategy/Stats - Was tempted to do something really old like deadball or the 1930s. Even though I grew up watching baseball in the 80s, I figured I'm probably more accustomed to the current strategy. No .400 hitters or 30-game winners for me.

Some I'm ready to start my league unless somebody points out another decision that I need to make.

I know folks spend time on team logos and uniforms. Just wondering if anybody else spent a lot of time deciding on the various game settings?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
* Scouting - probably will go with scouting disabled. Don't want to spend time dealing with scouting budgets or whom to scout
I would heartily recommend against disabling scouting. Scouting budgets can pretty much be set once and forgotten about, and honestly I have never seen a use for scouting players individually. The report you get tells you nothing you can't glean from the ratings. Meanwhile, if scouting is disabled, there's no fog of war; no real decisions to be made besides going out and grabbing the highest-rated players. You can always see who's worth your time and who's not, and so the chances of making a bad trade or signing drop significantly. If you want to have an easier time winning, then go for it, but that's never been as much fun for me personally.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I would heartily recommend against disabling scouting. Scouting budgets can pretty much be set once and forgotten about, and honestly I have never seen a use for scouting players individually. The report you get tells you nothing you can't glean from the ratings. Meanwhile, if scouting is disabled, there's no fog of war; no real decisions to be made besides going out and grabbing the highest-rated players. You can always see who's worth your time and who's not, and so the chances of making a bad trade or signing drop significantly. If you want to have an easier time winning, then go for it, but that's never been as much fun for me personally.
It's just as easy to make bad trades and signings with Scouting off as it is with it on.

There's still plenty of "fog of war" in the game without scouting.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
boogeyboard1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
It's just as easy to make bad trades and signings with Scouting off as it is with it on.

There's still plenty of "fog of war" in the game without scouting.
What "fog of war" is there? You know their stats, unless you mismanage them you pretty much know how they're going to turn out.
boogeyboard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogeyboard1 View Post
What "fog of war" is there? You know their stats, unless you mismanage them you pretty much know how they're going to turn out.
Really?

So every 5 tool/hi potential prospect you have ever drafted has turned into a 5 tool/hi talent ML player?

Must be nice

With scouting on you still see the same stats.

The only thing Stats tell you with certainty is the past. They tell you nothing about the future. Sure, you can make plenty of assumptions and projections, but that's all they are, assumptions and projections.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 03-16-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Well, it of course depends on your TCR settings, too. But there's a difference between a highly-rated prospect flaming out and a guy who looks like he is amazing right now turning out to be a .220 hitter.

I'm just speaking from personal experience, but without scouting, I never had a problem building a winning team within a few years. With it, it's a challenge.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 03-16-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
boogeyboard1
All Star Starter

Quote:
With scouting on you still see the same stats
Yes, but you don't see the same ratings. If you don't have a good scout, they can be wrong about how good players are/have the potential to be. No scouting takes away that margin for error.
boogeyboard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:00 AM   #8
Eric
All Star Starter

Quote:
Well, it of course depends on your TCR settings, too. But there's a difference between a highly-rated prospect flaming out and a guy who looks like he is amazing right now turning out to be a .220 hitter.

I'm just speaking from personal experience, but without scouting, I never had a problem building a winning team within a few years. With it, it's a challenge.
What TCR settings do you use? That's another question that popped up today.

Ugh! So many options. I guess I'm just too neurotic. Playing Pokémon on the Nintendo was stressful because I had to chose one of three starter Pokemons and decide which six to travel with plus which move to forget when one of them levels up and learned a new move.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:32 AM   #9
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What TCR settings do you use? That's another question that popped up today.
I just leave it at 100 (default).

Quote:
Ugh! So many options. I guess I'm just too neurotic. Playing Pokémon on the Nintendo was stressful because I had to chose one of three starter Pokemons and decide which six to travel with plus which move to forget when one of them levels up and learned a new move.
Bulbasaur. Always Bulbasaur.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogeyboard1 View Post
Yes, but you don't see the same ratings. If you don't have a good scout, they can be wrong about how good players are/have the potential to be. No scouting takes away that margin for error.
And?

1. That doesn't mean there's no fog of war without scouting. Ratings are wrong plenty of the time too.

2. You're assuming people who don't use scouting leave ratings turned on - wrong assumption.

I play OOTP the same way I follow real life baseball.

In real life:

I don't have any scouts to tell me who's good and who's not.
I don't have any ratings to tell me who's a good hitter and who's a good pitcher.
I only know those things because I follow the games and players.

Same thing I do in OOTP.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 03-17-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

In the last couple years I've turned off coaching. I like the story depth with coaches and managers, and it's fun to see where old favorite players turn up. But then each year you have the dance where half the coaches leave, and worse when the terrible AA hitting coach won't go down to rookie ball, or you accidentally promote someone to the wrong spot and then can't unpromote him. At least in v14 the coaches don't do enough on-screen to make me miss them when I disable coaching.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I always say start small with your league and grow it. That's the beauty of the game in that way. I too struggle with where to start. The thing is you can change it whenever you want.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1. That doesn't mean there's no fog of war without scouting. Ratings are wrong plenty of the time too.
So then why does unchecking "Use full scouting system" automatically set the scouting accuracy to "100% Accurate"? Or is that just an oversight?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #14
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So then why does unchecking "Use full scouting system" automatically set the scouting accuracy to "100% Accurate"? Or is that just an oversight?
No, what I meant was ratings can be misleading. They can be wrong. Just because it says 5 star, hi potential on a prospect doesn't mean he will be a 5 star ML stud.

Please read all of what I said - I don't turn ratings on and I don't use scouts. (not even BNN Scouts)
Old 03-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, what I meant was ratings can be misleading. They can be wrong. Just because it says 5 star, hi potential on a prospect doesn't mean he will be a 5 star ML stud.
I think we're talking about two different things here. You're right, sometimes star prospects flame out, and sometimes guys don't play up to their capabilities (or totally exceed their projected capabilities). But that's not scouting, that's the development engine. And yes, of course it will still take effect if scouting is off.

But that never means the ratings that you see are "wrong". That 5-star prospect who never makes it in the bigs was still rated 5-stars until the development engine kicked his ass. That scrub minor leaguer who suddenly becomes red-hot and goes on to have a career was still a scrub until his ratings changed. With scouting off, every rating you see is the actual rating (with variables like rating scale taken into account, of course). What you DON'T get with Scouting off is the guy who looks like he's going to be a stud, but really never had the chops to make it. Which is different than a prospect flaming out.

Quote:
Please read all of what I said - I don't turn ratings on and I don't use scouts. (not even BNN Scouts)
I totally get that. But I was never referring to playing stats-only, and honestly that has no bearing on the discussion at all, because playing stats-only totally eliminates the need for scouts in the first place. So it becomes a moot point. My advice was in regards to having ratings on but scouting off - which, from my personal experience, makes it way, way too easy to build a winner.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #16
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think we're talking about two different things here. You're right, sometimes star prospects flame out, and sometimes guys don't play up to their capabilities (or totally exceed their projected capabilities). But that's not scouting, that's the development engine. And yes, of course it will still take effect if scouting is off.

But that never means the ratings that you see are "wrong". That 5-star prospect who never makes it in the bigs was still rated 5-stars until the development engine kicked his ass. That scrub minor leaguer who suddenly becomes red-hot and goes on to have a career was still a scrub until his ratings changed. With scouting off, every rating you see is the actual rating (with variables like rating scale taken into account, of course). What you DON'T get with Scouting off is the guy who looks like he's going to be a stud, but really never had the chops to make it. Which is different than a prospect flaming out.

I totally get that. But I was never referring to playing stats-only, and honestly that has no bearing on the discussion at all, because playing stats-only totally eliminates the need for scouts in the first place. So it becomes a moot point. My advice was in regards to having ratings on but scouting off - which, from my personal experience, makes it way, way too easy to build a winner.
Then why drag it in that direction?

I only replied that you can still get fog of war without scouting. I said nothing about stats only.

My further replies were in answer to questions directed to me.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #17
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You're going to have to explain that one. With or without scouting, you can get a guy who look like he'll be a stud, only to be a dud because he never had what it takes to make it.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #18
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then why drag it in that direction?

I only replied that you can still get fog of war without scouting. I said nothing about stats only.

My further replies were in answer to questions directed to me.

I was never the one who brought up the stats-only thing, so by saying it has no bearing, I'm trying to AVOID dragging it in that direction. Not blaming you for it or anything.

And I understand what you were saying, I just don't agree with the phrasing - the game engine on its own produces variable career paths for prospects, yes. But once they're established players, they very rarely experience any more major talent fluctuations. That's not "fog of war" as I was referring to it - that's just the game engine. "Fog of war" means looking at a 20-something riding the bench and thinking "they're totally missing out on what this guy can do" - only to find out, once you trade for him, that maybe they knew EXACTLY what they were doing. "Fog of war" applies to veterans as well as young guys, while the development engine deals almost entirely with prospects.

Quote:
You're going to have to explain that one. With or without scouting, you can get a guy who look like he'll be a stud, only to be a dud because he never had what it takes to make it.
You can get a PROSPECT like that. Almost never an established player. With scouting off, of course you'll still get first-round busts and late-round surprises, but you always know exactly what you're getting when you sign a 30 year old arm to bolster your rotation.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 03-17-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #19
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was never the one who brought up the stats-only thing, so by saying it has no bearing, I'm trying to AVOID dragging it in that direction. Not blaming you for it or anything.

And I understand what you were saying, I just don't agree with the phrasing - the game engine on its own produces variable career paths for prospects, yes. But once they're established players, they very rarely experience any more major talent fluctuations. That's not "fog of war" as I was referring to it - that's just the game engine. "Fog of war" means looking at a 20-something riding the bench and thinking "they're totally missing out on what this guy can do" - only to find out, once you trade for him, that maybe they knew EXACTLY what they were doing. "Fog of war" applies to veterans as well as young guys, while the development engine deals almost entirely with prospects.

You can get a PROSPECT like that. Almost never an established player. With scouting off, of course you'll still get first-round busts and late-round surprises, but you always know exactly what you're getting when you sign a 30 year old arm to bolster your rotation.

The development engine is always working, not just when guys are young. Older players can suffer major hits too. I've seen guys suddenly drop off the radar, and I'm not only talking 35 yrs old +. I've seen it at pretty much any age.

Players have normal years, bust years, and sometimes they have career years. How do you know "exactly" what you're getting?

Anyway, my whole point was - you can get plenty of "Fog of War" with and without Scouting.

That's the beauty of OOTP though, you and I can both find a way to play that's enjoyable.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #20
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The development engine is always working, not just when guys are young. Older players can suffer major hits too. I've seen guys suddenly drop off the radar, and I'm not only talking 35 yrs old +. I've seen it at pretty much any age.

Players have normal years, bust years, and sometimes they have career years. How do you know "exactly" what you're getting?
See, I've just never seen that. Guys have bad years and good years, of course, but at the end of the line, you can always look back on their careers and see consistency throughout. Bench players put up bench numbers, stars put up star numbers. I've never once seen a dominant pitcher fall off the map during his prime, nor would I want to see that. Yes, the development engine is always working, but it has always had more of an effect on prospects, or else your league would fluctuate wildly year to year.

Quote:
Anyway, my whole point was - you can get plenty of "Fog of War" with and without Scouting.
Again, I don't really agree, but:

Quote:
That's the beauty of OOTP though, you and I can both find a way to play that's enjoyable.