Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
Gravitron
Minors (Double A)

Player Ratings Question - declining skills

When a player is declining in skills, why is his potential still higher than his current rating? Example being an older pitcher who lost some movement when the ratings were updated at the start of the month. (note: using 100% scouting accuracy)

Previously: Movement 11 out of 11 Potential
Updated: Movement 10 out of 11 Potential

Is there really a chance the pitcher will get back to an 11 movement rating? I would have expected it to display 10 out of 10? Any thoughts?
Gravitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

It used to be that potential < current meant a guy was trending downward. I think this has to do with your settings. If you have show potential < actual (global settings) set to no adjust that is probably why aging guys are showing higher potential than actual. The game maybe setting potential to the high water mark.

Alternatively it could be a weird player creation problem. Sometimes the game creates guy at 75% potential with a random age. I noticed this when creating free agents. Sometimes the guy can be pretty old and still at 75%. I think you can fix this is put a max age on created players. I will try it out the idea just came to mind. I keep see new free agents enter old and not at full potential if I put my created player age max lower that won't happen. Maybe 27 or something like that. An age where players are generally fully developed. I will have to fiddle with this.

Last edited by Biggio509; 01-16-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitron View Post
When a player is declining in skills, why is his potential still higher than his current rating? Example being an older pitcher who lost some movement when the ratings were updated at the start of the month. (note: using 100% scouting accuracy)

Previously: Movement 11 out of 11 Potential
Updated: Movement 10 out of 11 Potential

Is there really a chance the pitcher will get back to an 11 movement rating? I would have expected it to display 10 out of 10? Any thoughts?
Yep, i have seen players regain rating points throughout a season (also using 100% scouting accuracy). Sometimes a player might go through 3 or 4 mini-dips and jumps through the course of a season.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Gravitron
Minors (Double A)

[QUOTE=Biggio509;3797006]It used to be that potential < current meant a guy was trending downward. I think this has to do with your settings. If you have show potential < actual (global settings) set to no adjust that is probably why aging guys are showing higher potential than actual. The game maybe setting potential to the high water mark.

I tried changing the settings to different values but it didn't make any difference...hmm, I'll keep looking for a solution. ...potential < actual (global settings) is set to no adjust and seems to be the option I wanted so maybe this is just the way the game displays values for declining players?
Old 01-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Talent Change Randomness

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Gravitron
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Talent Change Randomness
Interesting, I guess I didn't realize talent change randomness happened on an almost constant basis. For some reason, I thought it would only happen mostly during the off-season... I had it set to 25, but if I want it to follow a more predictable career path, setting it to 1 would be the way to go, correct?
Old 01-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitron View Post
Interesting, I guess I didn't realize talent change randomness happened on an almost constant basis. For some reason, I thought it would only happen mostly during the off-season... I had it set to 25, but if I want it to follow a more predictable career path, setting it to 1 would be the way to go, correct?
It is continuous.

FWIW I wouldn't set it below 100. A setting of 1 would do nothing. My current setting is 120. This is just my interpretation of TCR I have no inside knowledge. Imagine the player development/aging curve as a smooth line plotted vs age. There are two lines. TCR is a series of spikes in talent (potential) that vary in amplitude (±) and in frequency throughout a players career. To me it is one of the most interesting features in the game. It seems to limit the number of players who are too consistent over many years. I think of it as the Eddie Murray switch.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
One i thing I don't get is how drastically some players change from one year to the next. For example I signed a high-priced 27-year-old first baseman here for a half stars signed him for four seasons. Season the one he was an all-star hat 36 homeruns and 123 RBIs and .312 BA. The Following season his ratings and potential drop drastically now he's only a half star player at 28 years of age so I'm stuck with this guy for the next three seasons paying him a ton of money because all of a sudden he just dropped in his abilities. Where's the gradual decline? it just hit all at once

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
Gravitron
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
One i thing I don't get is how drastically some players change from one year to the next. For example I signed a high-priced 27-year-old first baseman here for a half stars signed him for four seasons. Season the one he was an all-star hat 36 homeruns and 123 RBIs and .312 BA. The Following season his ratings and potential drop drastically now he's only a half star player at 28 years of age so I'm stuck with this guy for the next three seasons paying him a ton of money because all of a sudden he just dropped in his abilities. Where's the gradual decline? it just hit all at once
I prefer a gradual decline also and that was my original thought in setting the TCR to 25. Still trying to determine why ratings for a declining player display the way they currently are for me, but maybe the declining player could still go up in that rating area as was previously mentioned in this post.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Interesting that someone named "Gravitron" is asking why things decline.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote