Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Nicknames still show up, but only when starting a new MLB Quickstart. Not sure if that should happen.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
The MLB quickstart (or any quickstart) is a saved game and not a brand spanking new game, so nicknames are already in it to begin with and cannot be removed, except one by one manually.....and they will still show up in future years.....my name files should not work with it at all, unless you re-import the names database from the league setup menu.....and then you also have to edit the USA in the nation editor to give USA (modern) names 88% of the time and US (historical) names 12% of the time....also, since the ethnicities.txt file has already been imported into the game, you will not get names matching with skin color appropriately......players will just be randomly white or black without regard to their name.....and actually, players with names generated with the "white" names will have about 40% of them be black and the players generated with the "black" names will be almost entirely white....

Last edited by Questdog; 05-02-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
The MLB quickstart (or any quickstart) is a saved game and not a brand spanking new game, so nicknames are already in it to begin with and cannot be removed, except one by one manually.....and they will still show up in future years.....my name files should not work with it at all, unless you re-import the names database from the league setup menu.....and then you also have to edit the USA in the nation editor to give USA (modern) names 88% of the time and US (historical) names 12% of the time....also, since the ethnicities.txt file has already been imported into the game, you will not get names matching with skin color appropriately......players will just be randomly white or black without regard to their name.....and actually, players with names generated with the "white" names will have about 40% of them be black and the players generated with the "black" names will be almost entirely white....
Hi Questdog,

I am sorry to be a dunce, but with the new OOTP14, I am not sure where or how the 88% & 12% adjustments are made. I do have your ethnicies files and names ready to go.

One thought I have about nicknames that I know you do not like, is that I find they too are not era appropriate. Some relate to things not even invented yet, as do many of the news stories.

Thank you for all your help.

JP
Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

If you are creating a new game, you don't need to fix the USA...the world_default.xml file I provided is already set up this way.....if you, however, are trying to import the names into an already existing league, then you need to go to the nation editor...you'll find it in the 'Explore World' option under the manager menu.

What I detest about the nicknames is that they appear up at the top of the player profile, obscuring the name.....if they were listed in the info box like the hometown and birth date, I could live with them and would probably even make era appropriate files for them.....

Another thing I don't like about the nicknames is the arbitrary nature of them....in real life nicknames are earned.....in OOTP they are handed out at random and often are inappropriate for the player they get stuck on.....
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #25
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

I get the inappropriate part. I remember a few years ago when I was playing thr game more that I would laugh at some of the ridiculous matching. But, like the proverbial blind squirrel, every so often a gem that was appropriate and good would show up.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #26
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

I've been trying to figure out a way to make this name file work with the MLB quickstart that comes packaged with the game. But, I always end up with weird ethnicity-race combos and way too many initial names (J.D., J.R., etc...) and way too many guys named Jamie.

It works just fine with fictional leagues. But, I have a hard time getting into those type of leagues.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #27
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadluckinOOTP View Post
I've been trying to figure out a way to make this name file work with the MLB quickstart that comes packaged with the game. But, I always end up with weird ethnicity-race combos and way too many initial names (J.D., J.R., etc...) and way too many guys named Jamie.

It works just fine with fictional leagues. But, I have a hard time getting into those type of leagues.
The reason it won't work is because the once a game is created, as a quickstart already is, the names and ethnicity info is already carved into stone in the game. You will never be able to get it to work fully in one....best you can do is import the names and go to the nation editor and set the USA name frequencies correctly......but you won't be able to get the skin color lined up with the names properly and you won't be able to get rid of nicknames and you'll have stray names that were already in the game messing up the frequencies.......but it should still be better than the default.....
Old 05-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #28
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Hey Dog, I thought that the world.xml file could not be imported into a game that has already been started.
You have world.xml files for 1870, 1970 and 2000. So I can re-import the 1970 & 2000 files when I reach those years?
I thought that once you started a game you could not do that?
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #29
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashantewarrier View Post
Hey Dog, I thought that the world.xml file could not be imported into a game that has already been started.
You have world.xml files for 1870, 1970 and 2000. So I can re-import the 1970 & 2000 files when I reach those years?
I thought that once you started a game you could not do that?

You are correct......those files are made to START a league with, using those sets.....once the game is created, only changes you can make to the information contained in the world.xml file is via the nation editor in game....
Old 05-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #30
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Questdog's Names for OOTP 14

Quote:
You are correct......those files are made to START a league with, using those sets.....once the game is created, only changes you can make to the information contained in the world.xml file is via the nation editor in game....
Okay, so the .xml files are starting points. Got it!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #31
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

Quote:
The reason it won't work is because the once a game is created, as a quickstart already is, the names and ethnicity info is already carved into stone in the game. You will never be able to get it to work fully in one....best you can do is import the names and go to the nation editor and set the USA name frequencies correctly......but you won't be able to get the skin color lined up with the names properly and you won't be able to get rid of nicknames and you'll have stray names that were already in the game messing up the frequencies.......but it should still be better than the default.....
It is, but it is frustrating knowing it could be better in the MLB quickstart league.

Does anyone know Is there anyway to export that roster into another league, so one could keep have a MLB league with no nicknames, better name files, etc...?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #32
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Just started using the 1870 set. Excellent work.
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #33
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quest why a name set for 1970? whats special about that year and the names for that set?
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #34
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Those are the names that I grew up on.....

Names were a lot different then than now.....more manly....
Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #35
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Those are the names that I grew up on.....

Names were a lot different then than now.....more manly....
MEN were more MANLY then!!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #36
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
The baseball quality of the USA does not matter, unless you are setting your league in a different country. It was set to 0 in the default file that I was editing and I thought it must have been set that way for a reason, so I left it alone as it didn't matter to my set up. The other countries have their baseball quality set so that the percentage of players from them will be correct for the year 2000 (using the old method from OOTP 13, which you can still replicate in OOTP 14, if you desire). The same is true of the 1870 file: it is set to get the percentages right for the initial pool pf players. After that, I edit the countries manually as time goes by to keep them in line with reality. With the new method of being able to set the exact percentages from countires, I need to make a new file with the precentages rather than baseball quality ratings.
Can I change the baseball quality within the default xml using notepad or something similar? I would like the baseball quality to reflect "real life" but want to use your mod as well.
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #37
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantYankee View Post
Can I change the baseball quality within the default xml using notepad or something similar? I would like the baseball quality to reflect "real life" but want to use your mod as well.
Yes....it is just a special kind of text file....
Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #38
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yes, you need to use the world_default.xml included, else there will only be Caucasian Americans in your league....

if you prefer the default file for some reason, you can still use it, but before you start your league, make sure to edit the ethnicity portion of the USA to match what I have in my file.....
I would like to use your file but keep the default file. How do I find the ethnicity portion of USA? I open the file with notepad++ but I'm lost.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #39
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Code:
</NATION>
        <NATION id="206" use_hardcoded_ml_player_origins="0" this_is_the_usa="1" name="The United States" short="United States" pop="311900000" lid="0" gender="0" bbqual="5" abbr="USA" dem="American" time_zone="-5" observes_dst="1">
            <ETHNICITIES>
            <ETHNICITY lid="0" pct="86" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="39" pct="10" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="1" pct="4" />
            </ETHNICITIES>
            <STATES>
            <STATE id="118" name="New York" pop="19378102" lid="0" abbr="NY" time_zone="-5" observes_dst="1">

This is the section....use search to find <NATION id="206"......then replace everything that begins with "<ETHNICITIES lid " in the origiinal file with what is shown here.....

The only reason to use the original file is so you can have ball players that come from countries that they never ever have come from before (or ever will)......

Last edited by Questdog; 09-24-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #40
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Code:
</NATION>
        <NATION id="206" use_hardcoded_ml_player_origins="0" this_is_the_usa="1" name="The United States" short="United States" pop="311900000" lid="0" gender="0" bbqual="5" abbr="USA" dem="American" time_zone="-5" observes_dst="1">
            <ETHNICITIES>
            <ETHNICITY lid="0" pct="86" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="39" pct="10" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="1" pct="4" />
            </ETHNICITIES>
            <STATES>
            <STATE id="118" name="New York" pop="19378102" lid="0" abbr="NY" time_zone="-5" observes_dst="1">

This is the section....use search to find <NATION id="206"......then replace everything that begins with "<ETHNICITIES lid " in the origiinal file with what is shown here.....

The only reason to use the original file is so you can have ball players that come from countries that they never ever have come from before (or ever will)......

Thank you. I want to use the original file so that baseball quality can be default and I won't have to manually edit every time I start a new game.

Last edited by GiantYankee; 09-24-2013 at 10:10 PM.