Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

Editing Regions

really like the regions feature....so much so that I can't start a game because I have so many choices I can't decide where to play, LOL!

Anyhow, I'm starting to poke around in the world_default.xml file and had a couple questions about editing -- I want even MORE choices.

1. Can you add new regions beyond the default 142? If so, would you assign them IDs starting with #143, #144, etc?

2. How do you add municipalities? I live in Maine, and yeah, my hometown is in there, but I'm thinking I'd like to add a few neighboring towns that aren't. Maybe do a Maine town league sort of thing. that's one idea rattling around in my head.

Another is that I'd like an "Atlantica" region -- New England + the Maritimes.

Another idea is that I might want to have several state/provincial leagues with the winners having a playoff. Not even sure if that is possible, or how you go about doing it, but it seems like it should be.

These are just a few ideas, but understanding how editing the xml works would be a huge help.

Thanks!!!

Will

1. Murder of Roger Ackroyd -- Agatha Christie
2. Birds of Prey -- Wilbur Smith
3. King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
4. Comstock Lode -- Louis L'Amour
5. Andersonville -- McKinley Kantor
redsox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox45 View Post
1. Can you add new regions beyond the default 142? If so, would you assign them IDs starting with #143, #144, etc?
Yes, and you can gie them whatever IDs you like as long as they aren't duplicates.

Quote:
2. How do you add municipalities? I live in Maine, and yeah, my hometown is in there, but I'm thinking I'd like to add a few neighboring towns that aren't. Maybe do a Maine town league sort of thing. that's one idea rattling around in my head.
You can add cities by adding lines to the correct <STATE> part of the XML. The format is as follows:

<CITY id="100000" name="City Name" pop="1000" lid="0" lat="52.50" long="-1.50" abbr="CN" />

The id can be anything above the current highest, but I used numbers above 150k to be on the safe side. The name should be self explanatory, although if you need an "&" symbol you have to use the "&amp;" HTML object. "pop" is the population of the town, and I think can be anything, but I think bigger cities are more likely to be randomly chosen by the game when it creates default names. "lid" is the language id, and is usually 0 for English and US cities. Lat and long are the latitude and longitude of the city, and can both be set to zero if it's unknown. Longitudes west of Greenwich (so anything in the US) are negative. My example is somewhere in central England lol. "abbr" is the abbreviation that appears by default if the city is used for a team.

Quote:
Another is that I'd like an "Atlantica" region -- New England + the Maritimes.
You would create a new region and copy the states that make up those to regions into it.

Quote:
Another idea is that I might want to have several state/provincial leagues with the winners having a playoff. Not even sure if that is possible, or how you go about doing it, but it seems like it should be.
It's possible in game using league associations.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Cryomaniac; 04-20-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Adding to what Cryomaniac said, you could probably add those Maine cities using the in-game Editor.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
Adding to what Cryomaniac said, you could probably add those Maine cities using the in-game Editor.
You have to do that from within the game you want to use them in though, since the in game editor doesn't actually effect the default XML file.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
You have to do that from within the game you want to use them in though, since the in game editor doesn't actually effect the default XML file.

Yep, Yep.

albatross
Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
khucke
All Star Reserve

Quote:
"lid" is the language id, and is usually 0 for English and US cities.

I think the 0 value is a default value that means the city language is the same as the state/region language.
khucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Looking at the world_default.xml file from OOTP12, "lid" isn't even used for Cities. Is this just being done in OOTP13 (or does it even matter if "lid" is used for Cities)?

albatross
Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

[QUOTE=Cryomaniac;3305394]Yes, and you can gie them whatever IDs you like as long as they aren't duplicates.

You can add cities by adding lines to the correct <STATE> part of the XML. The format is as follows:

<CITY id="100000" name="City Name" pop="1000" lid="0" lat="52.50" long="-1.50" abbr="CN" />

The id can be anything above the current highest, but I used numbers above 150k to be on the safe side. The name should be self explanatory, although if you need an "&" symbol you have to use the "&amp;" HTML object. "pop" is the population of the town, and I think can be anything, but I think bigger cities are more likely to be randomly chosen by the game when it creates default names. "lid" is the language id, and is usually 0 for English and US cities. Lat and long are the latitude and longitude of the city, and can both be set to zero if it's unknown. Longitudes west of Greenwich (so anything in the US) are negative. My example is somewhere in central England lol. "abbr" is the abbreviation that appears by default if the city is used for a team.</quote>

This is really good to know...using values higher than 150K sounds like a safe bet too....what I'd like to do is add in towns of less than 1,000 as it appears the game doesn't (and probably shouldn't from a practical standpoint) have them. I know that was the case several years ago.

<quote>You would create a new region and copy the states that make up those to regions into it. </quote>

OK, I'll give this a shot. It shouldn't be too hard. Just a case of figuring out the state/province IDs.

<quote>It's possible in game using league associations.</quote>

So that's what associations are! I haven't really delved into it much. I've been playing around with random debut in historicals a bit, just figuring out all this latest release has to offer, and it's really great the deeper I dig into it. Especially looking back on the days of OOTP2 & 3.

Will

1. Murder of Roger Ackroyd -- Agatha Christie
2. Birds of Prey -- Wilbur Smith
3. King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
4. Comstock Lode -- Louis L'Amour
5. Andersonville -- McKinley Kantor
redsox45 is offline   Reply With Quote