Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
Teams that are as bad defensively as the Knicks are tend to.
Well, we know that they weren't as great overall as what we were seeing, either. Frankly, remembering the past ten years or so as a Knicks fan, I will settle for merely good.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I think the Knicks have got rattled alittle the last few games. Given some time and some injured players returning I'm confident they can pick it up. Having said that I jsut don't see them making it past the heat this year.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

For some reason, this annoys me a bit.

For what he's paid, he is fasting for "spiritual reasons" and it affects his game energy? For what he's paid, he needs to bring his top game to the court every night, not let down fans and teammates with some half-baked, half-hearted foolishness like this! Even he cannot explain coherently why he did what he did, but it might have meant the difference in a recent loss or two.

Carmelo Anthony Admits He's Been Fasting for Past 15 Days | Bleacher Report

I swear, I must be the abnormal one. I'm crazy; everybody else is sane.

EDIT: I should clarify this a bit, because the article that I linked to was not the one that set me off. Here's how my local newspaper quoted him:
Quote:
“I usually do it sometimes just to get some clarity in my life,” Anthony said. “Spiritual reasons. I’m done now. I can’t do it no more.”

Asked why he fasted, Anthony said: “It’s a long story. I haven’t had a good meal in about 2 1/2 weeks. No meats, no carbs, anything like that."

"I don’t know how I was going through competing at a high level. Just sometimes these past three, four games where the body just feels depleted out there and just trying to find a way to get energy."

"But like I said, I surrender. I’m done. I’m going to get some food right now.”
Oh yes, this is very understandable behavior. So what if it costs your team a few games, perhaps just enough to miss the playoffs? You and your own "spiritual needs" come first, of course.

Like I said, my bad. My problem for being unreasonable in my expectations of a professional ballplayer and of a man.

I bet Charles Oakley would have kicked his spiritual ass, though.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 01-14-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #24
AnotherAlias
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post

I bet Charles Oakley would have kicked his spiritual ass, though.
Yes. Charles, is the man!

(When I say 'he is the man' that doesn't make me the woman...just want to clarify)
AnotherAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherAlias View Post
Yes. Charles, is the man!

(When I say 'he is the man' that doesn't make me the woman...just want to clarify)
Yes, and when I say "would have kicked his spiritual a**" [toning it down a bit now that I'm not as upset], that doesn't make Oakley an actual bully. He would not have beat Anthony down, but he would have got into his face in the locker room at some point. That garbage would not have gone down in Oakley's time. Team come first, not silly "spiritual" crap, dude.

- Bru

Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #26
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, and when I say "would have kicked his spiritual a**" [toning it down a bit now that I'm not as upset], that doesn't make Oakley an actual bully. He would not have beat Anthony down, but he would have got into his face in the locker room at some point. That garbage would not have gone down in Oakley's time. Team come first, not silly "spiritual" crap, dude.
I dont know the knicks of the 90's were in some brawls. Remember Ewing and a few others getting suspended against the heat in a playoff series. Reggie Miller could always get the knicks riled up.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #27
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I dont know the knicks of the 90's were in some brawls. Remember Ewing and a few others getting suspended against the heat in a playoff series. Reggie Miller could always get the knicks riled up.
Doing dumb things like that is not the same as being so self-centered as to hurt your teammates by indulging in selfish behavior. Of course, that type of thing has always been part of sports. It's just that I think Ewing, Starks, Mason, Ward, Williams, and Oakley would not have tolerated it on their team.

- Bru

Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #28
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Anthony's consecutive 20-point game streak ended yesterday at 30 or 31 games, not sure which (should be paying more attention! ). He now owns the franchise record, surpassing Richie Guerin's mark of 29 games from 1962. Party poopers (but not Guerin, to his classy credit) point out that Guerin did not have the advantage of the three-point shot in his playing days.

- Bru

Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #29
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

This is really late in this age of tweets and yap talk but I've been meaning to come here all day to say this.

Last night's game was epic. I'm not talking about Stephen Curry lighting up the Knicks for 54 big ones (11 3's!), as awe-inspiring as that was. That young man was unconscious, stratospheric. One of the best basketball performances that I have ever seen.

But no. I am talking about the Knicks and how they fought back all night. My gosh, seeing a monster performance like that, it would have been easy to just ease back and let Curry have his way. Blowout loss, right?

Wrong. They kept battling back, answering Curry over and over again. They couldn't stop him but they ANSWERED him!

Chandler with 28 rebounds! 'Melo and J.R. pounding away with 35 and 26 points respectively.

What really got me was Felton, though. The guy was BURNED, over and over. Did he give up? No. No he did not.

Several times during the game, announcer Walt Frazier said, referring to Curry's rampage, "All they (the Knicks) need is one stop. One stop." He meant at the end of the game, if the Knicks could stay close. And he was right.

It would have been easy, natural for Felton to have curled up into a fetal position after all of those facials administered by Curry. Instead, he manned up, never gave up, and finally, FINALLY, stopped Curry twice, forcing a turnover and stuffing a shot.

And the Knicks won an epic battle.

I was more proud of this team at the end of this game than I have been of any collection of Knicks since the 1990's. Gosh, what a game. Thank God I tuned in.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-28-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #30
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is really late in this age of tweets and yap talk but I've been meaning to come here all day to say this.

Last night's game was epic. I'm not talking about Stephen Curry lighting up the Knicks for 54 big ones (11 3's!), as awe-inspiring as that was. That young man was unconscious, stratospheric. One of the best basketball performances that I have ever seen.

But no. I am talking about the Knicks and how they fought back all night. My gosh, seeing a monster performance like that, it would have been easy to just ease back and let Curry have his way. Blowout loss, right?

Wrong. They kept battling back, answering Curry over and over again. They couldn't stop him but they ANSWERED him!

Chandler with 28 rebounds! 'Melo and J.R. pounding away with 35 and 26 points respectively.

What really got me was Felton, though. The guy was BURNED, over and over. Did he give up? No. No he did not.

Several times during the game, announcer Walt Frazier said, referring to Curry's rampage, "All they (the Knicks) need is one stop. One stop." He meant at the end of the game, if the Knicks could stay close. And he was right.

It would have been easy, natural for Felton to have curled up into a fetal position after all of those facials administered by Curry. Instead, he manned up, never gave up, and finally, FINALLY, stopped Curry twice, forcing a turnover and stuffing a shot.

And the Knicks won an epic battle.

I was more proud of this team at the end of this game than I have been of any collection of Knicks since the 1990's. Gosh, what a game. Thank God I tuned in.
Well, the Warriors WERE playing without Lee (averaging 19/10) and Bogut, so it would have been a bit embarrassing if the Knicks had lost. Curry almost beat them all by himself (he shot 18-28, the rest of the team shot 18-44).
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #31
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

yeah but i agree that in the past the knicks would have folded by halftime. They do seem to play till the end now. But they cant let a player go over 50 when they play the heat or hopefully a west team in the finals.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #32
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

The bloom is off the rose, guys. Pretty much age and injuries grinding down this team now. It doesn't look good, as demonstrated by a lineup like this one from today's loss to the Clippers. Gosh:
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #33
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Not too many Knicks fans here, I know (a nod to BaseballMan, though) but I will keep bumping this thread once in a while, even so.

Knicks beat the Thunder in OKC today: New York Knicks vs. Oklahoma City Thunder - Recap - April 07, 2013 - ESPN

12 wins in a row. Let nothing happen to Melo or J.R. because those two guys are carrying the Knicks on their backs right now.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 04-07-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #34
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Frickin' ESPN's Sportscenter app feels it's important to keep me updated on Carmelo and the Knicks. "Knicks game is starting on ABC" "Carmelo has 23 at halftime" "Knicks extended their streak to 12 games"

I just don't give a ****...I just don't care for basketball.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #35
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorseMoose View Post
Frickin' ESPN's Sportscenter app feels it's important to keep me updated on Carmelo and the Knicks. "Knicks game is starting on ABC" "Carmelo has 23 at halftime" "Knicks extended their streak to 12 games"

I just don't give a ****...I just don't care for basketball.
Not a problem. It's just that basketball doing well in NY is good for the NBA, like it or not. It's been a long time, though.

- Bru

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #36
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Not a problem. It's just that basketball doing well in NY is good for the NBA, like it or not. It's been a long time, though.
HAH...NY doing well in any sport is both good and bad for that sport.

It has nothing to do with the Knicks, it could be any team in the NBA. I only came in here to complain, I could have just avoided the threat...but didn't .

Good for you guys, glad to see your team winning!
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #37
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Doesn't hurt that Carmelo is making a serious run at the scoring title too...this is such a fun team to watch.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #38
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Was it only a year ago that I posted here with optimism about the Knicks? That they had finally turned a corner for the better after many years of mediocrity and worse?

Well, last season was an aberration. The Knicks are right back to be the gutless losers that they were before. This team truly sucks and especially because it is detectable: They don't play hard, especially on defense.

I am sick of the entire team, including Anthony. Let him walk after this season and start building a balanced team of young guys who will play with HEART, and get up for EVERY GAME.

I cannot watch this current bunch of bums anymore. Just stand around, hope for 'Melo to score 50, let your man fly by on his way to the hoop. It makes me sick.

- Bru

Old 03-02-2014, 05:57 AM   #39
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

I honestly felt sorry for the Knicks fans watching the Warriors game yesterday. Looked like they would score 150 on them at one point.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #40
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
I honestly felt sorry for the Knicks fans watching the Warriors game yesterday. Looked like they would score 150 on them at one point.
That's the thing. Basketball is the only sport that I know where teams can so obviously demonstrate a lack of effort from one night to the next. That's my opinion, of course. Others may argue for the same phenomenon seen in other sports.

Be that as it may, the Knicks have it, bad. They gave up in January and now they are merely sleepwalking. I will be goddamned if I am going to spend any money or viewing time on a team that is not even trying.

Don't blame Mike Woodson for this, although he will be. Even if the Knicks were hustling, they would still be below .500. The reason is, they don't have leadership (sorry, 'Melo, but you're no captain) and they have basically mediocre players. Stoudemire has tanked and don't even begin to tell me that Chandler is the big man that the Knicks have needed.

So, what do they do? They bring in J.R. Smith who is too stupid to realize that pranks are bush league, especially when your coach asks you to desist and you persist. And he sucks because the rest of the league has figured out how to shut him down.

They bring in huge failure Bargnani who, if anything, would take away playing time from Chandler if he were any good. No problem, though; he sucks.

They bring in Felton who is not a very good point guard and they ask him to be a team leader. Yeah, the guy who is too dumb not to get himself arrested on a weapons charge in NYC. He sucks.

They bring in has-beens like Kenyon Martin and World Peace. Hey, Mr. Dolan, ever hear of injury-prone, over-the-hill veterans playing out the string? When they do play, that is? No, I guess not.

Meanwhile, they are/were trying to trade Shumpert and, I would bet, Hardaway, Jr., two young, future stars. For whom this time, Nazr Mohammed or Vince Carter?

Knicks management is as dumb as a stump but you know what? I would still be watching the Knicks if they played hard before losing. These guys are just plain losers.

To some extent, I also blame Carmelo Anthony. He does not deserve what he is going through, playing with a team of this low caliber, but he is the only dependable offensive alternative that the Knicks have. He is not enough to carry a team playing in the N.B.A.

As it is, the team hands him the ball and stands around while he does his thing. Or not. Trouble is, that laziness also means not getting back on defense after Anthony scores, or not. So this is why you are seeing 'Melo score 44 points in losing efforts; the final score is consistently something like 125-105 on nights when he is on, or 110-89 when he is not.

Anthony is part of the problem and I wish he would go into free agency. Problem is, the Dolans are too stupid to figure out what to do with him, or without him.

[/End of rant.]

- Bru