Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
Pedro
Minors (Single A)

27 man roster

Hello,

I’d like to up my roster size from 26 to 27; does anybody know if this will have any detrimental effect on the AI teams - i.e. can they cope with it, or is 25/26 the ideal size for the AI?

Edit: news of any further considerations/complications gratefully received.

Thanks!

Last edited by Pedro; 11-27-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I can't say from experience, but my guess is that there wouldn't be any issues. It's usually when you restrict rosters that the AI starts to have trouble. I would just watch how the AI uses that extra roster spot to make sure it's making the best use of it. In other words, an extra pitcher, infielder or outfielder would make the most sense. Something like an extra 1B-only guy wouldn't make sense if the starter is also a 1B-only guy.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
Bobfather
All Star Starter

keep in mind the AI uses 40 players in September.
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:48 AM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yeah, usually adding an extra spot should be fine. The things I'd look out for:
-Set the batter/pitcher mix in the league settings to what you think is reasonable. FYI, I often like to make sure they add up to like 1 less than the roster limit, which gives the AI a little more freedom to either carry an extra reliever or hitter as desired
-They generally speaking will try to balance IF/OF. So with 27 on the roster, if you have them use 13 pitchers, then they'd have 14 batters. That should work out to:
Starting 8
DH/PH option
Backup C
2X IF Backup
2X OF Backup

IIRC, once they hit around 28 on the roster is when they start thinking about carrying a 3rd catcher. With that amount of subs, it should increase the chance that they don't "miss" having a backup for a position (since odds are one of the 2 OF backups could handle CF, for example).

The only "problems" I would guess with a roster that size is that it might be easier to have some guys simply not able to make it into the lineup.So you might end up with some guys on the roster just ride the pine all season. Maybe not an issue, but something to look out for.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
Pedro
Minors (Single A)

Thanks all, and especially Matt for the detailed breakdown. I didn't know about the batter/pitcher mix setting so that's very helpful.

It's really only a quality-of-life option so I'm not shuttling between the big league and the minors so often, so a bit to ponder yet before doing it.

Many thanks!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Does help out if you have Waviers turned on.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
SkoCubs
Minors (Single A)

You should be able to adjust it to where recommended settings is carry 13 P 14 bats, but sometimes they’ll carry 12 pitches and you’re like wtf. So make sure you do that
SkoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
BabyDollJacobson
Minors (Single A)

Another roster size issue I had was in an All Star game.

I selected a roster limit of 35 players for the All Star game mainly to include lots of players and substitutions.

One of my league rosters included 6 first basemen but only one shortstop.
Matt Williams was the 3rd basemen and could play shortstop if needed but had not played a single inning at that position up to that point in the season.

Is it possible to make sure there are at least 2 players selected at each position?

or

Can additional player(s) be added manually to the All Star roster (Commissioner's picks)?
BabyDollJacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, usually adding an extra spot should be fine. The things I'd look out for:
-Set the batter/pitcher mix in the league settings to what you think is reasonable. FYI, I often like to make sure they add up to like 1 less than the roster limit, which gives the AI a little more freedom to either carry an extra reliever or hitter as desired
-They generally speaking will try to balance IF/OF. So with 27 on the roster, if you have them use 13 pitchers, then they'd have 14 batters. That should work out to:
Starting 8
DH/PH option
Backup C
2X IF Backup
2X OF Backup

IIRC, once they hit around 28 on the roster is when they start thinking about carrying a 3rd catcher. With that amount of subs, it should increase the chance that they don't "miss" having a backup for a position (since odds are one of the 2 OF backups could handle CF, for example).

The only "problems" I would guess with a roster that size is that it might be easier to have some guys simply not able to make it into the lineup.So you might end up with some guys on the roster just ride the pine all season. Maybe not an issue, but something to look out for.
I've mentioned this a few times, but this is a good chance to ask again, for OOTP21 could we get the batter / pitcher mix in the strategy settings changed to include Catchers, Infielders and Outfielders instead of just batters (or as well as, I guess, if people want to fiddle with it that finely).

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote