Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:11 AM   #61
james17
All Star Starter

Yeah, I miss it too. I"ve tried many others but is still the reigning king in my book.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #62
Scipio Africanus
Major Leagues

For whatever reason most football sims put their focus on the GM side instead of the actual game on the field. They're more about drafting and trading. The actual game of football mostly exists just to generate stats. I've wondered if this is an effect of fantasy sports leagues, which are all about drafting, trading, and stats.

FBPro and XOR had intense focus on the actual game of football. In the past 20 years I've seen countless comments from people wanting a new game like FBPro and XOR, but game developers have not paid any attention.

Last edited by Scipio Africanus; 08-17-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #63
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
Unfortunately I have not seen any such updates. You can create new teams by editing it yourself however that is very , very labor-intensive.
but how?
Old 08-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #64
OrbisEuler
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Waiting for FOF9 like

https://youtu.be/hrVR-01w-4w?t=101
Old 08-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #65
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbisEuler View Post
Aww man. Why did you do that. I spent years trying to forget that scene...
Old 08-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #66
swoboda
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinginalaska View Post
but how?
In 97 you can take an existing team and just edit names and ratings player by player then change team name and you have a new team. But it takes considerable time

The late great Lindsey Nelson
Old 08-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #67
JSap
Bat Boy

Weird coincidence - until I read Jim's update a couple of months ago, I didn't know he used to do reviews for CGW - I subscribed and read for years, if not decades, but I guess I never looked very close at the reviewers names. Fat forward to this week, and having forgotten about this again, I happened to see one of my old stacks of CGW in a cabinet and just wanted to look through one for the nostalgia, the one on top was from 1994, so I grabbed that one. In the letters to the editor section, an executive from strat-o-matic was complaining about a previous review, and it turned out it was Jim - his multiple column response detailing exactly why their stats model was bad was amazing - I still don't know if I understand it completely! Anyway, just thought it was funny and wanted to share.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #68
Spiff
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSap View Post
Weird coincidence - until I read Jim's update a couple of months ago, I didn't know he used to do reviews for CGW - I subscribed and read for years, if not decades, but I guess I never looked very close at the reviewers names. Fat forward to this week, and having forgotten about this again, I happened to see one of my old stacks of CGW in a cabinet and just wanted to look through one for the nostalgia, the one on top was from 1994, so I grabbed that one. In the letters to the editor section, an executive from strat-o-matic was complaining about a previous review, and it turned out it was Jim - his multiple column response detailing exactly why their stats model was bad was amazing - I still don't know if I understand it completely! Anyway, just thought it was funny and wanted to share.
Would you share it? Would be an interesting read, however I don’t know about any copyright stuff.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #69
JSap
Bat Boy

To keep myself out of any copyright issues, I'll just direct you to the CGW archive site (which is a great reference!):
http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/i...4&pub=2&id=125
It is page 20 and 21 of the December 1994 issue.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:59 AM   #70
Jim Gindin
Solecismic Software

Oh... I was such a know-it-all when I was young. It's a miracle I ever managed to learn anything.

I would still stand by my criticisms of the Strat model - one of the things I admire about Markus' work is that his engine doesn't fall into that RPG-like stat modifier trap. But it was a good game and sometimes you just shouldn't be that guy.

On the other hand, I did learn a lot about the gaming business from the editors at CGW. I'm not sure I would have had the nerve to do this without those discussions. And that did come from being that know-it-all. I got that gig from writing to the editor myself, complaining that their reviews of sports games were shallow and ignored the statistical integrity of the various sports. Instead of laughing at me, the lead editor sent me a copy of Tom Landry Strategy Football and essentially told me to put up or shut up.

Anyway, Bob, if you're out there somewhere, sorry...
Old 08-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #71
JSap
Bat Boy

Sorry Jim, hope I didn't dig up anything you hoped you wouldn't see again! I just think it is crazy that my favorite game designer worked for a magazine I read for years (I have back issues going all the way back to the mid '80s) and I never realized it! Keep up the good work - now that my kids are getting older, I think I will have time to dig back into a football simulation again, so I can't wait!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #72
Ohgr
Bat Boy

I think that Tom Landry game has been "revived" in some way.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9...Football_2019/
Old 09-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #73
Thegman0492
Minors (Double A)

Date of Release

First off no pressure from me. I enjoy playing OOTP 20. In third season with an expansion team and still trying to get wins. Anyways, it looks like FOF will not come out this year since the season has already started. Does that mean we are looking at a 2020 release date? Just curious is all.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #74
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegman0492 View Post
First off no pressure from me. I enjoy playing OOTP 20. In third season with an expansion team and still trying to get wins. Anyways, it looks like FOF will not come out this year since the season has already started. Does that mean we are looking at a 2020 release date? Just curious is all.
We're still a month and a half away from the earliest in the season Jim has released a new game in any of the last 19 years, and he released FOF7 on December 13th. I wouldn't read anything into the season having started. Details of past release dates may be found here: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=93231
Old 09-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #75
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

I must beg Jim fix the rating system in this game, hoping to something more like OOTP.

To see Patrick Mahomes have a bigger peak than Tom Brady still makes no sense to me, to see Kittle better than Gronk too. To see DeAndre Hopkins no where near the skill of Donte Moncrief isn't even reality.

The overalls all messed up
Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #76
GSWarriors22
Bat Boy

Quote:
I must beg Jim fix the rating system in this game, hoping to something more like OOTP.

To see Patrick Mahomes have a bigger peak than Tom Brady still makes no sense to me, to see Kittle better than Gronk too. To see DeAndre Hopkins no where near the skill of Donte Moncrief isn't even reality.

The overalls all messed up
Did I miss the release or something?
Old 09-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #77
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
We're still a month and a half away from the earliest in the season Jim has released a new game in any of the last 19 years, and he released FOF7 on December 13th. I wouldn't read anything into the season having started. Details of past release dates may be found here: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=93231
This is all true, however with OOTPD now involved, they are likely going to want some sort of build up and marketing involved. This is partially the reason for this marriage after all. The fact that OOTPD isn't even at the point where they want to take pre-orders or even marketing FOF9 is not a good sign for a near future release IMO.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #78
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
This is all true, however with OOTPD now involved, they are likely going to want some sort of build up and marketing involved. This is partially the reason for this marriage after all. The fact that OOTPD isn't even at the point where they want to take pre-orders or even marketing FOF9 is not a good sign for a near future release IMO.

Good points...I have to agree especially on the marketing.

If they can, now what with the releases of OOTP 20 and Perfect Game finished, they should take off some time from the baseball and devote more resources to FOF---IF that would help!

I don't really know how dedicated to the football sim OOTP is.

Definitely not trying to cause trouble here, just wondering in what order their priorities are.

I believe there is a big market just waiting for OOTP to come out with this game.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #79
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWarriors22 View Post
Did I miss the release or something?
Play FOF8. You'll see what I mean. Top 5 wideouts aren't top five wideouts and that annoys me, to see Antonio Brown or DeAndre Hopkins not performing as well as Donte Moncrief makes no sense whatsoever to the average football fan.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:13 AM   #80
sirotka33
Bat Boy

Quote:
Play FOF8. You'll see what I mean. Top 5 wideouts aren't top five wideouts and that annoys me, to see Antonio Brown or DeAndre Hopkins not performing as well as Donte Moncrief makes no sense whatsoever to the average football fan.

front office football uses an x-factor system that is designed to roll ratings for each player that are within a range each time you start a new game. full x-factor on means these are roll swing harder than when it is off, but at no point is there a new game that will start with static ratings like ootp does.

whether this is good or not is up to each individual person to decide, but people should know why you are seeing variance in ratings in the first place.