Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
bigd51
Minors (Triple A)

Feature suggestions from Operation Sports

DeuceDouglas over at OS put out an extremely in-depth mock up of features that Madden fans want to see added into the game, complete w/ diagrams.

It's been bumped to the first page for going on a year and a half now, so it's proven very popular among the "franchise" base over there.

Triplechin also put out his own list of features w/ photo help from Deuce that's proved popular as well.

Pretty sure a lot of these ideas are already being considered by you guys considering the depth in your other titles, but I figured I'd post them up here if anything was missed and to get a nice look at exactly the features many franchise guys would like to see.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Going down the list:

Character Selection

Obviously, in a text sim, "player" isn't going to be an option, and "commissioner" is likely better implemented as a toggle. But the other four options would all work well.

"Coordinator" can be implemented by coaching only one side of the ball instead of both, similar to how it works in NCAA Football 14.

Starting Point

This would be really easy to implement, because all it is in text-sim terms is a separate quickstart for each potential start point. The closest we've ever seen to an offseason start is the NFL Head Coach series.

Arcade vs. Simulation

Irrelevant in a text sim, but a Challenge Mode would serve the same purpose.

Injuries (During Practice)

Should be easy enough. The specific request is to allow injuries during practice, which would be a separate toggle from the main injury frequency.

Sim Game Injury Slider / Position Injury Slider

Probably redundant, except as a way to handicap the user team. Not something we'd want for a first release under the OOTP banner.

Injury Severity

Unlike in baseball, it makes a lot of sense to have this kind of setting. Just don't make it have too dramatic of an effect.

Trade Difficulty / Free Agent Difficulty / Negotiation Difficulty

The first exists in OOTP Baseball already, so it shouldn't be too hard to put into FOF9. The latter two should probably be merged into a single setting (free agents are a subset of negotiations).

XP Allocation / Award Bonuses / Practice XP Distribution

Irrelevant in a text sim, because it's unlikely to use an experience-based progression system.

Ratings (Visibility)

Essentially the equivalent of a "scouting accuracy" setting, and can be implemented that way.

DEV Trait

Redundant, given the likelihood of visible potential ratings.

Franchise UI (various settings)

Irrelevant in a text sim.

Choosing Preseason Opponents

This is taken from the pre-CFM era of Madden, and honestly makes a lot of sense in a text sim. It would be best implemented as a "User teams can choose their preseason opponents" toggle.

90-man Rosters

In a text sim, this could be done as a "preseason roster size" setting, similar to what OOTP Baseball has for spring training.

Multi-Team Depth Charts

I doubt this would make sense in the professional game. It's more of a college-ish feature, and is basically a waste of coding time.

Big Decisions - Preseason (various settings)

The waiver wire and PUP list (etc.) would obviously make it into a text sim anyway.

Game Prep (various settings)

In a text sim, this sort of thing is unnecessary. The only thing on that list that could translate well into a text sim is a list of personnel/formations used by each team, but that would work better in a statistics menu rather than in a game-prep menu.

Enhanced Stat Tracking

This is a no-brainer for text sims. The lack of "game footage" on players makes it necessary to track a lot more stats than in traditional sports video games.

Practice (various settings)

Same situation as Game Prep. There's no need to put all of this into a text sim, beyond the possibility of players being injured.

Other Game Prep Ideas (various settings)

You get the picture, right?

Dynamic GamePlans

Could be implemented well into a text sim. The idea is that teams would call plays which suit their strength - the trouble isn't in implementing this feature, it's in balancing this feature.

Team Chemistry/Player Morale

Another well-known feature from OOTP Baseball can cross over into the gridiron.

Big Decisions - Regular Season

This section of the original article dealt mostly with the implementation of injuries, which I have no idea how to do outside of the "player X out for Y weeks" stuff. I made my thoughts on injuries clearer above.

Gameplay Presentation (various settings)

Irrelevant in a text sim.

Multiple Broadcast Packages

Or rather, in a text sim, multiple score bugs. Not really necessary at this time.

Big Decisions - Off-season (various settings)

I feel it's best to deal with the offseason in a separate post, because of how complicated it can be.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

What about expansion teams?
Old 02-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
What about expansion teams?
That remains to be seen. Back when this was BTS, the full expansion process was not on the agenda.

I'll also reiterate what I said two years ago. A non-customizable text sim is a bad text sim - and instead of locking in a 32-team structure, the game should be coded to allow for any number of teams.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
That remains to be seen. Back when this was BTS, the full expansion process was not on the agenda.

I'll also reiterate what I said two years ago. A non-customizable text sim is a bad text sim - and instead of locking in a 32-team structure, the game should be coded to allow for any number of teams.
Bingo. Even though the NFL has 32 teams and, most likely, wont see expanison, I still think its necessary to add in, especially with customizable league structures. All new games should be modeled after OOTP's customization.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
BradS
Minors (Double A)

Like OOTP could you have a league or global modifier. That is to say, adjust to make your league more of an offensive or defensive dominated league as far as yards gained.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
kiersteadmo
Minors (Single A)

International Talent/Scouting outside NFL

We have seen YouTubers, rugby players and military personnel get invites to try out for teams. I think this would be a good way to find a diamond in the rough like in OOTP
Old 03-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

I’m no wiz with the computer and technology but some things I’d like to see and have no idea if it would be hard to do but have the combine and get grades on players from your scouts?
Pro days?
I also think penalties have become a huge part of the game so Helmet to helmet hits maybe as one?
One thing that is pretty important in today’s game is the salary cap and understanding how it works. So if there is a way to add in how releasing a player can and would affect your cap?

I’ve never played FOF but I do play and love OOTP and if they got a football game I would be all in. So maybe some of these things are already in the game. Just a couple thoughts I thought I’d share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
nbryant
Minors (Double A)

First and foremost I say dream, so long as you apply some sense of realism to the dream. For now I am going to be happy with an integration of the FOF engine and the OOTP GUI. That alone has an opportunity to begin to bring the game to life. Overtime I would expect that, as much as is feasibly possibly, the team will incorporate various aspects of the game that the community desires and those that bring it closer to what is expected from an OOTP product. It will take time and support and in time will hold the market for an American Football management game that strategically will out class EA's Madden.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #10
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant View Post
First and foremost I say dream, so long as you apply some sense of realism to the dream. For now I am going to be happy with an integration of the FOF engine and the OOTP GUI. That alone has an opportunity to begin to bring the game to life. Overtime I would expect that, as much as is feasibly possibly, the team will incorporate various aspects of the game that the community desires and those that bring it closer to what is expected from an OOTP product. It will take time and support and in time will hold the market for an American Football management game that strategically will out class EA's Madden.
I completely agree. Let's not expect a moon shot for a first launch.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
Reggie
Major Leagues

Realistic game engine, user friendly interface, realistic financial system and get the free agent and draft process right and I think it will take off. Trying to get too much in version 1 may cause a mess. Get the basics right and add from there.

Personally, the draft was always the funnest part of Madden for me anyway.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #12
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Feature suggestions from Operation Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant View Post

I agree but i feel like this is what FOF8 was. It had an updated GUI. I feel like the foundation of the game has been already built for so long that it is time to add some quality of life features and some enhancements to the AI. I’m praying to finally see roster cuts so preseason can be somewhat fun for example.

Not really interested in FOF with OOTP window dressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 03-08-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I think the ability to trade draft picks mid draft would be a good additional feature.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #14
AlexB
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I think the ability to trade draft picks mid draft would be a good additional feature.
That’s been in FOF for as long as I can remember
Old 03-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #15
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

Just a quick reminder:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...13&postcount=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Like I said in the announcement post, we'll be having more info in the coming months, specifically we're aiming for Draft Day to release more info and stuff like a preliminary feature list. Until then, we won't be monitoring this forum much for suggestions etc. so I suggest you save them for a later time.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #16
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
That’s been in FOF for as long as I can remember
Not for the player I don’t think. I have been using Mac for ten years though, and haven’t played FOF in over a decade.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 03-10-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #17
FlexD
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

That can be done already.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:40 AM   #18
AlexB
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Not for the player I don’t think. I have been using Mac for ten years though, and haven’t played FOF in over a decade.
Yes, for the player too .

To be fair I said as far as I can remember; not sure I can remember whether you could 10 years ago
Old 03-11-2018, 04:13 AM   #19
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Canadian Football League option(with expansion).
Old 03-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #20
Tunnelrunner
Minors (Single A)

I'd like to see at least 3 things from the OOTP Baseball series carried over:
1) Historical rosters/teams going back to the birth of the NFL.
2) Commissioner/Free Edit mode: the ability to edit player ratings, etc.
3) Make it available on Mac.