Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Shadow4u
Minors (Single A)

Any given Sunday

After watching games this past weekend raises a question ? In any stat based game, what can be done to account for the unexepected ? In a 16 game schedule , a team can get on a roll where they appear to simply overmatch opponents for 3-4 weeks.

So during any season , all teams might perform better than their stats would imply , as well as have some games where they do not. Home games certainly are a factor - but perhaps , unknown to the player, the games resets each week by randomly assigning a bonus or detractor factor to each team. As you play the game, you would recognize, just as in real life, if your team is " on " that day or perhaps needs a kick in the ***. Either way , it would affect the way you play and would be very consistent with what coaches see every week.

I would think something like this would be easy to apply and might already be something that has been incorporated. But I thougth I would throw my 2 cents into the pot. Thanx
Old 12-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
TSmith1969
Minors (Triple A)

I think any stats-based game will have this happen naturally without having to build it in as a featuer. Even bad teams can get hot for a few games based on just random chance.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Al Davis
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Play FOF believe me anything can and does happen !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
ruckuz
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Davis View Post
Play FOF believe me anything can and does happen !!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL tell me about it,

I entered the superbowl with the Best oLine and running back the league had to seen vs the defense riddle with injuries, on paper I could run all over this team. Game starts off with him receiving and they return it for a Touchdown.. im down by 6. After another kickoff, my offense gets on the field... PICK 6. Down by 14 now. LOL. In the end I never ended up running the ball cause I had to play catch up the whole game and lost even though on paper I shouldve won
Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

This certainly could be a problem; how do I balance the face it's based on attributes vs the "any given sunday" factor,

I think some people could complain either way, saying if they have the "best" team they shouldn't be beaten by a bad team and visa-versa
Old 12-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

I seem to recall a certain Super Bowl in which the best offense lost to the best defense, and the majority favored the best offense. They had the best QB, one of the top RB, and one of the best WR combos in the league. As it turns out, the best defense routed the best offense in NFL history, 43-8.

Last edited by dumbrabbit; 12-06-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
ruckuz
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
This certainly could be a problem; how do I balance the face it's based on attributes vs the "any given sunday" factor,

I think some people could complain either way, saying if they have the "best" team they shouldn't be beaten by a bad team and visa-versa
I think for now, for V1 it would be healthy for the game to be more predictable, so the "best" team should win.

Later you can add things like weather, home crowd and other stuff im sure you've come up with that can make little things in the game more random.

Team chemistry can add alot of randomness, for example look at the Browns. Hoyer was playing his best games, winning games. Josh Gordon comes in week12... on paper Hoyers numbers should sky rocket! Didnt happen. Almost lost to one of the worst passing defenses and lost the next game and his JOB after when he returned.

Things like that can have that illusion of any given Sunday factor. But for now I think alot people wouldnt mind the "best" team should win for V1.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

If the better team will usually win, then what fun will it be to try to turn Oakland into a dynasty? The Pats, Hawks, and Packers would always win. It's much more fun to watch dynasties fall and rebuild themselves, as the BTS newsletter says.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
ruckuz
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbrabbit View Post
If the better team will usually win, then what fun will it be to try to turn Oakland into a dynasty? The Pats, Hawks, and Packers would always win. It's much more fun to watch dynasties fall and rebuild themselves, as the BTS newsletter says.
What do you mean? A dynasty isn't built because of random luck during a game.

If you draft properly and sign the right free agents the right time you become dynasties. The Pats/Packs wont have their HOF QBs forever and managing the stellar the D that the Hawks have will hit their offense eventually because of Salary cap. Also those top teams will have harder schedules next year while having to hit the rookie draft late, while teams the Oakland will have their chance with high draft picks and weaker schedules.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

The "best" team shouldn't always win, that's too unrealistic, but it shouldn't be entirely random. Also, sometimes a team/strategy might not be as good record-wise but it could work well against a specific team. For example, if one team has slow corners and the other has speedy wide receivers, they'd probably will score a ton of points.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckuz View Post
What do you mean? A dynasty isn't built because of random luck during a game.

If you draft properly and sign the right free agents the right time you become dynasties. The Pats/Packs wont have their HOF QBs forever and managing the stellar the D that the Hawks have will hit their offense eventually because of Salary cap. Also those top teams will have harder schedules next year while having to hit the rookie draft late, while teams the Oakland will have their chance with high draft picks and weaker schedules.
Exactly. dumbrabbit's comment makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

I misread, I apologize. I see what you mean now.

Read it as if the better team would win almost all of the time. That would make not playing as an Oakland or Jacksonville type career not fun. Not sure what I read there.

Would think any stats- based game would already have that type of feature as said above. Don't need to code a feature like that, but then again, I'm not the developer.