Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
CaptKable
Bat Boy

Audibles

Will there be audibles in the game, whether it be you as the coach calling them or just having your QB call them.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Not really sure why'd you'd use audibles in a game like this.....
Old 11-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
Not really sure why'd you'd use audibles in a game like this.....
I hope so. Maybe not in the first version, but there should be a capability for the QB to change the called play. It's a fundamental component of the game.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 11-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
CaptKable
Bat Boy

baseballonly, Can I ask you why you think that?

I think if the quarterbacks has the option to do it then it would be much better, perhaps there could be a setting to change how much he was allowed to do audibles so he's not constantly changing the plays you call.

Last edited by CaptKable; 11-27-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKable View Post
baseballonly, Can I ask you why you think that?

I think if the quarterbacks has the option to do it then it would be much better, perhaps there could be a setting to change how much he was allowed to do audibles so he's not constantly changing the plays you call.
It should be a QB attribute possibly other players too. A "team" attribute or skill could reflect the ability or flexibility of certain offenses to react to a defense that has you cold.

The more I think about it, this has to be a core functionality. Otherwise does success on each play depend on guessing right?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 11-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

No, I agree with you about the QB/LB being able to change the play, what I'm saying is why would the coach want to call an audible?
Old 11-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
CaptKable
Bat Boy

I agree it should just be the quarterback, I was just curious to how it would be implemented in this game.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I need to think about audibles for a long time before I put them in, as in the extreme it could render the user calling the plays useless, or at least be very frustrating.

It probably (99%) won't be in V1, but it's certainly something I have already thought of and am aware of needing to do something about.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
colourmebrad
Minors (Double A)

Definitely needs to be in (though post-V1 is understandable). One of the ways a smart/experienced QB sets himself apart from the pack is by reading defences and calling audibles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
in the extreme it could render the user calling the plays useless, or at least be very frustrating.
This is a smart gameplay thing to keep in mind. Perhaps just allow the coach to say to the QB "stop calling audibles! I am play-calling god!"
Old 12-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
BradC
All Star Starter

Allowing it to be turned on and off would be good, I think. That way, if it becomes frustrating, you can turn it off.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I need to think about audibles for a long time before I put them in, as in the extreme it could render the user calling the plays useless, or at least be very frustrating.

It probably (99%) won't be in V1, but it's certainly something I have already thought of and am aware of needing to do something about.
One could argue the opposite position that without audibles human players could detect a pattern where a certain defensive plays/formation have a similar result.

RichW

Old 12-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
BMD
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Allowing it to be turned on and off would be good, I think. That way, if it becomes frustrating, you can turn it off.
Or as coach set each individual QB with permission to call audibles on a sliding scale. Your 34 year old starter with an awareness rating through the roof would have carte blanche to call audibles as needed. His rookie back up? Not so much. Maybe set his permission as "rarely" or "not permitted."

It would be great to send in a play and the play by play says that the QB is calling an audible and changing your play. If you trust your QB you would be thinking that he must have seen something in the defense he needs to capitalize on. If you do not trust him yet . . . oh oh, this could get ugly. Maybe it will pay off, but the odds the QB audibles to the wrong play is much higher.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:26 AM   #13
ruckuz
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD View Post
Or as coach set each individual QB with permission to call audibles on a sliding scale. Your 34 year old starter with an awareness rating through the roof would have carte blanche to call audibles as needed. His rookie back up? Not so much. Maybe set his permission as "rarely" or "not permitted."

It would be great to send in a play and the play by play says that the QB is calling an audible and changing your play. If you trust your QB you would be thinking that he must have seen something in the defense he needs to capitalize on. If you do not trust him yet . . . oh oh, this could get ugly. Maybe it will pay off, but the odds the QB audibles to the wrong play is much higher.
Thats a great way to do it! Audibles should not be determined by a player rating but a team scheme/strategy before games.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
One could argue the opposite position that without audibles human players could detect a pattern where a certain defensive plays/formation have a similar result.
Yes that certainly is a good point.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #15
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I'd have to think in more detail about simply having an on/off option.
If we were the Denver Head Coach tomorrow and told Manning to stop audibling, do we think he'd listen?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #16
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If we were the Denver Head Coach tomorrow and told Manning to stop audibling, do we think he'd listen?
It would be an interesting idea to have as a coaching strategy option (i/e how much you let your QB audible).

Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #17
RchW
Hall Of Famer

My point on audibles is not so much the freelancing side of them or how much they should be called. The point is that if the defense is set to absolutely negate the play called even the dullest QB can and should change it. Call it an alternative play or alt-r for run and alt-p for pass. if that makes sense.

RichW

Old 01-08-2015, 02:36 AM   #18
SFG
Minors (Single A)

I think maybe for the user you could expose the defensive formation first in a box or something and then allow the player to adjust accordingly. Like if there are eight players in the box, which would be realistic on a 3rd-and-short, it would at least allow the option of maybe doing a play-action pass to expose the defense selling out against the run.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:19 AM   #19
bking123
Minors (Rookie Ball)

If I may, I am pretty sure that no QB in the game right now has 100% carte blanche to call his own audibles, what happens now, is that a QB is given a number of plays one is the primary play call and then some check downs based on coverage. So in theory audibles here could be handled the same way, for each formation have a few (3-4) static play calls that the AI can check off to, that you can call as part of calling the primary play.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:24 AM   #20
NolaSola7
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hmm, Audibles need to be practiced and taught so everyone is on the same page....

A QB can't just make up signals on the go during a game

If a coach wants to prevent a QB to make audibles... it's easy, don't develop a system and don't practice it ....

Therefore, if a coach really wants to limit a player from calling audibles, it is quite easy to do so... and many coaches have had this (generally with young QBs)

And if you are radical about it.... coach's can always say, "If you go against the plan, you will either be benched or traded" ...

But that's the thing, coaches do have the power to give the power to the QB, it's why coaches would love to have an aging Manning, he knows how to put the team in the best place despite the playcall ..... so, right! pretty darn stupid to prevent Manning from making audibles...... but at the end of te day, it's the coach's call, not Mannings

Last edited by NolaSola7; 02-02-2015 at 04:28 AM.