Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
jasonuk
Bat Boy

Rosters Draft/Training Camp

Would love to see full rosters, i.e. 90 players during training camp, then down to 75, etc.
More teams battling for undrafted free agent signings.
Whitling down to your final 53 + practice squad, etc.
Ability to sign other players practice squad players, etc.
This is something thats missing in Front Office Football.
Would really like to see this implemented properly according to the proper nfl timelines.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Yes it's in.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonuk View Post
Would love to see full rosters, i.e. 90 players during training camp, then down to 75, etc.

More teams battling for undrafted free agent signings.

Whitling down to your final 53 + practice squad, etc.

Ability to sign other players practice squad players, etc.

This is something thats missing in Front Office Football.

Would really like to see this implemented properly according to the proper nfl timelines.

Yea this missing aspect completely turned me off from FOF7 (was a newcomer to that game)

Great to see its in for BTS!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
jasonuk
Bat Boy

awesome. i cant wait for this game to come out. im buying!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonuk View Post
... Would really like to see this implemented properly according to the proper nfl timelines.
I'll just point out the roster sizes and cut down dates have varied over the years. I've found a bit of data on this.

For example, a number of changes were made after the 1987 season. Before then, clubs could open training camp with an unlimited number of players. Clubs then had to cut down to 60 players after the second full week of preseason games, then trim to 50 players after the 3rd full preseason weekend, then cut down to the final 47 players after the 4th full preseason weekend. After 1987, clubs could open training camp with a maximum of 80 players, and there were only two cut down dates: to 60 players after the 3rd full preseason weekend, then to 47 players after the 4th full preseason weekend.

Later, the first cut down limit was raised to 65 players, then to 75 players, while the second limit (of active/inactive players) was increased to 53 players. Practice squad sizes also changed over the years.

Back when NFL clubs played 6 preseason games, the cut down dates were: to 60 players after the 1st full preseason weekend; to 52 players after the 4th preseason weekend; to 48 players after the 5th weekend; and to 45 players after the 6th weekend.

Ideally, it'd be nice to make the roster limits and cut down dates customizable.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 03-19-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Why am I not surprised that LGO posted that info?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
Why am I not surprised that LGO posted that info?
BTS has inspired me to do digging into things I had previously not given much thought to. Fortunately, these days the amount of information that is available online makes such digging a much easier task than it would have been even just ten years ago.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
da commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
BTS has inspired me to do digging into things I had previously not given much thought to. Fortunately, these days the amount of information that is available online makes such digging a much easier task than it would have been even just ten years ago.
Yeah, it's alot easier now than it was in my day when I had to go to the card catalog and the microfilm/fiche for research.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

curious what about rookie camp and some teams will have optional vets to participate as well .... thinking perhaps this might help improve skills for some players to reach potential quicker ???
Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 AM   #10
dmytron

Quote:
I'll just point out the roster sizes and cut down dates have varied over the years. I've found a bit of data on this.

For example, a number of changes were made after the 1987 season. Before then, clubs could open training camp with an unlimited number of players. Clubs then had to cut down to 60 players after the second full week of preseason games, then trim to 50 players after the 3rd full preseason weekend, then cut down to the final 47 players after the 4th full preseason weekend. After 1987, clubs could open training camp with a maximum of 80 players, and there were only two cut down dates: to 60 players after the 3rd full preseason weekend, then to 47 players after the 4th full preseason weekend.

Later, the first cut down limit was raised to 65 players, then to 75 players, while the second limit (of active/inactive players) was increased to 53 players. Practice squad sizes also changed over the years.

Back when NFL clubs played 6 preseason games, the cut down dates were: to 60 players after the 1st full preseason weekend; to 52 players after the 4th preseason weekend; to 48 players after the 5th weekend; and to 45 players after the 6th weekend.

Ideally, it'd be nice to make the roster limits and cut down dates customizable.
Right now, when there won't be season replays in v1, this information is a bit abundant.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
Right now, when there won't be season replays in v1, this information is a bit abundant.
Do not forget BTS users who want to create fictional leagues rather than just run current-day NFL leagues. Fictional league users always appreciate having options which allow them to customize the particulars of their league. (That these options would aid in accurate recreation of historical NFL seasons is simply an added bonus.)
Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 AM   #12
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I, unfortunately, wouldn't get your hopes too up that those kinds of things are editable for V1.

The (AI) Roster Management is going to be hard to get "right" and that's even with me guaranteeing it will 90/75/53, if you now allow it to be X/Y/Z the difficulty will go way up.

Let's get V1 right first before we get ahead of ourselves
Old 03-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #13
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
I, unfortunately, wouldn't get your hopes too up that those kinds of things are editable for V1.
Let me put it this way: don't lock in values in the code in such a way that it becomes impossible to change it later.

Even if not made editable in the first version, at least build the foundation with the ability to change such things in the future. OOTP has several things which are hard-coded and cannot be changed without a great deal of effort. That (effective) inability to change them forces certain less-than-desirable (IMO) compromises.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le grande orange View Post
let me put it this way: Don't lock in values in the code in such a way that it becomes impossible to change it later.
Hear, hear.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

In the early days of OOTP, spring training used to mean something. You could work on a player's skills, improve weaknesses, add positions, etc. But they have largely gotten away from this and gone to more of a cookie-cutter approach.

I hope that BTS won't make this same mistake. Here are some areas that I would like to see developed...

Conditioning - Teams like the 49ers & Seahawks have especially active conditioning programs, and it shows.

Practice - Teams which practice effectively, play more effectively.

Position meetings - Effective position meetings would reduce on-field screw-ups.

Film Room Study - Effective film study would make a player more effective - especially (but not limited to) quarterbacks.

Pre-season Games - These games should let us evaluate players to determine who will make the team. Have these games mean something.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambermonk View Post
Pre-season Games - These games should let us evaluate players to determine who will make the team. Have these games mean something.
There's another aspect to the preseason games to consider: the profit motive. The reason why the teams in the NFL, for a number of years, played 6 preseason games was because these were usually quite profitable. Players were paid only the small training camp fee for preseason games, while attendance at these games was often quite good (anywhere from 80%-90%+ on average of what regular season attendance averaged).

The preseason was eventually trimmed to 4 games for several reasons.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

I agree that roster development should be a major focus of training camp and the preseason. I hope that Francis builds a roadmap of events that occur throughout the calendar year and includes some details of what's going to be implemented in v1.

BTW, one of the reasons that the Player's Assoc. has wanted to shorten the preseason from 4 to 3 games is money. But added to it, is the player injury risk in playing games that don't count towards a winning season.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #18
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
BTW, one of the reasons that the Player's Assoc. has wanted to shorten the preseason from 4 to 3 games is money. But added to it, is the player injury risk in playing games that don't count towards a winning season.
Yup, you can find articles in The Sporting News from the early 1970s (when the preseason period had 6 games) espousing much the same view. It was one of the reasons why the preseason period was reduced to 4 games. Another reason included season ticket holders being greatly annoyed at being forced to buy a couple of preseason games as part of the package. Another was the shift to the 'common opponents' schedule format in 1978, which worked with a 16-game regular season.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:40 AM   #19
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

A few tidbits of info about the number of preseason games played in earlier seasons. In 1953 and 1954 the Pittsburgh Steelers played 7 preseason games, all against other NFL clubs, while in 1954 the Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Cardinals also played 7 preseason games. (The other clubs played 5 or 6 games in the preseason.) The regular season in both years was only 12 games long.

The preseason for these clubs was over half the length of the regular season. That'd be the proportional equivalent to an NFL team in today's era playing 9 preseason games.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 03-28-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Quote:
A few tidbits of info about the number of preseason games played in earlier seasons. In 1953 and 1954 the Pittsburgh Steelers played 7 preseason games, all against other NFL clubs, while in 1954 the Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Cardinals also played 7 preseason games. (The other clubs played 5 or 6 games in the preseason.) The regular season in both years was only 12 games long.

The preseason for these clubs was over half the length of the regular season. That'd be the proportional equivalent to an NFL team in today's era playing 9 preseason games.
Very interesting! Do you know why they played so many pre-season games?