Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 08-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

States, Regions and Divisions as a nation

I have create the fileset needed to run a state, division or region as a nation with modified ethnics files and settings. Simply rename the cities by #### to cities and the nations by #### to nations and the files are ready to run. Included are the flags, simply copy the folder and overwrite the current flags.

here is the link: http://www.allsimbaseball.com/index....fileinfo&id=20

If you have any questions, concerns or issues please let me know.

Regards,

Sandman
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Sandman,

This looks interesting, the more so, the more I look at it. Might give it a try! Thanks for sharing it.

1998 Yankees
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
Sandman,

This looks interesting, the more so, the more I look at it. Might give it a try! Thanks for sharing it.

1998 Yankees

Your welcome. I created this to get my Wisconsin and Midwest Leagues and then just continued to add to it to get all the states done. Took awhile doing the research for each state but it works very well.

Let me know if you use it how it works for you....
Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

New version of file available....

Made some changes to the files in the RDS as nation download. Changes are as follows:

http://www.allsimbaseball.com/index....fileinfo&id=20

1. created weather files for each group.

2. created an "ALL" group for the cities, weather and nations text files that include all the associated files.

The first was done because it was omitted in the first release and needs to be there. The second was completed because I simply wanted more options (example I wanted to have my state league but still get other states as well as regions.)

With the nations.txt file having all "nations" I had my state league with only wisconsin in the nations file and the Midwest region. I simply deleted the states I did not want and the regions, divisions that I did not want. This allowed me to have all my players from Wisconsin and the Midwest (as foreigners). I set it to 80/20 in game and it works great..... This is just an example of what can be done with this file....

Future updates of the file will be to add realist japanese percentages to the states, regions, and divisions. Census information is not available by breakdown other than Asian and while the total is 4.3% Asian in the country it is estimated that only about .8-1.0% are actually Japanese with some regions being higher than others..... I also would need to create a new first name file for the American-Japanese, giving them American first names.

Another future update may be to have different ethnic groups for some of the states (with 36 still available I have some room to work with it). An example of this would be to have a list with more German names for states like Wisconsin (43% German heritage) and to break down other states to into more ethnic names...... Again I will need to find the data to make this happen. This is actually a MAJOR CHANGE to my files but would be a nice addition.

I sure hope some one plays this and lets me know what they think. Also if anyone has any ideas that they would like implemented into future versions, please let me know and perhaps they will be added.

Regards,

Sandman

Last edited by SandMan; 09-03-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
Sagitta
Major Leagues

I did a similar thing a couple months back.

Since I have the ethnicities in mine, you could grab them and use them for your file if you want. I based mine on US census data, and its generally all right except for a preponderance of forein first names. Without tweaking the names files, you wind up with a lot of non-Anglicized first names popping up.

EDIT: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=147537

Added a link to the thread (actually at this time its right below this one on the board...) for you so you can find it.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitta View Post
I did a similar thing a couple months back.

Since I have the ethnicities in mine, you could grab them and use them for your file if you want. I based mine on US census data, and its generally all right except for a preponderance of forein first names. Without tweaking the names files, you wind up with a lot of non-Anglicized first names popping up.

EDIT: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=147537

Added a link to the thread (actually at this time its right below this one on the board...) for you so you can find it.
Read your thread, found it interesting. I was looking at doing mine similar but did not like the first names being "foreign", but may be looking at doing this by changing some of the ethnic groups in the ethnicities files getting rid of some of the ones that may not be used. Another down side is that if you set it by race first (Black, White, Hispanic) that only leaves one more ethnic group for your nation. Wisconsin as an example is 43% German heritage, but there are also a lot of Polish and Italian people in the southern part of the state and a LOT of Norweigan, Scandinavian people in the north although the percentage of total population is small.

Perhaps I will look at this more this weekend....

BTW, found it interesting that you use 39 for the african-american players and caucasian at 0. I did it the opposite because of the modern names in set 0. I still wanted some modern names for causcasian players so I use set 0 and modified it to 50%white, 50% black. To do the calcs all I did was find the black population percentage first, doubled it, then find the hispanic population, add the two and the remainding percentage went to set 39 which I use for caucasion only.... only had a problem with DC which is predominately black (57%)....set them to 47% to make it work with the set...

Last edited by SandMan; 09-19-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
JayCobb
Minors (Triple A)

I can see that this hasn't been updated in a few years, but I'm still running an old version of OOTP and I wanted to try this out. However, I'm confused about the instructions, specifically, "rename the cities by #### to cities and the nations by #### to nations"

I'm assuming that its really simple and obvious, but if someone could help out that would be great, thanks.
JayCobb is offline   Reply With Quote